Three Rams rookies that could surprise and sneak onto the 53-man roster

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Out of these three which one do you want most to make the 53?

• Shakeir Ryan

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Lenard Tillery

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • A.J. Jefferson

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN

227364_2433df36ef4346a4bc32adafb5b6e122~mv2.webp

The rookies have finally reported to camp and that means we are one step closer to football. With that being said here are three players that maybe considered "underdogs" or "long shots" or even "camp bodies" by many that I believe could sneak onto the 53-man roster.

A.J. Jefferson, DE, Mississippi State
6-foot-3, 280 pounds
24 years old
227364_6d9ca59a91e24b5099de4c49f4334d50~mv2.webp

A.J. Jefferson is coming from the big bad SEC conference in college football aka the best conference in college football. Jefferson was a productive player during his time there he started two seasons and racked up 12.5 sacks, 125 total tackles, 35 tackles for a loss, six forced fumbles, four batted passes and two fumble recoveries.

He's likely going to translate to a 3-4 defensive end, but in a way he is kind of a "tweener" and could move to linebacker. Jefferson will have his work cut out for him if he wants to make this team. It's looking like it's likely that Jefferson goes up against players like fellow UDFA's Casey Sayles and Omarius Bryant. However, the tough task at hand is winning a job over players like Morgan Fox and Matt Longacre who have of course played on an NFL 53-man roster.

Even though this team seems to have put an emphasis on small-school talent (judging by their entire draft class being from small schools) there is no doubt that Jefferson starting for an SEC and showing production doesn't go a long way. He has the physical build and tools to make it in this league and I believe he could fall onto the opening day roster when it's all said and done.

Lenard Tillery, RB, Southern
5-foot-10, 200 pounds
23 years old
227364_7542359af2a5477580ce5e2619153bf9~mv2.webp

Unlike our above player, Lenard Tillery is the exact opposite hailing from Southern University and a guy that really fits the small-school mold it seems the Rams have adopted this off-season. Tillery, a four-year starter seemed to improve in every year increasing his yards per carry average from 4.3 his freshman year, to 5.7 his sophomore year, to 6.1 his junior year and then finally 6.7 his senior year. Tillery's last two seasons he accumulated 2,876 rushing yards and 27 rushing touchdowns.

When I look at Tillery, I see a lot of Benny Cunningham although he is not the pass catching threat Cunningham was, Tillery can without a doubt make an impact moving forward. His competition at the moment appears to be any running back not named Todd Gurley. Although it seems likely newly signed RB Lance Dunbar will be the backup, so it becomes a battle depending on if the the Rams keep only three or four.

Right now though, if the Rams keep four I have a feeling Tillery makes the roster and even if they only keep three I think he has a chance moving forward.

Shakeir Ryan, WR, Northwestern State
5-foot-8, 161 pounds
21 years old
227364_d28099d1b2ab4bc68678a97ebffe9971~mv2.webp

Shakeir Ryan seemingly came out of nowhere as a tryout player that just so happened to turn heads all over the field. Ryan ended up wowing his way onto the roster and receiving and signing his first NFL contract. So where does it come from and why should we care? Well, for starters a player like Ryan who is coming out of undrafted free agency and is limited with his size is obviously going to need to carve out a role on special teams. Luckily for him, there just so happens to be a spot available as the team's primary kick returner.

Ryan has an impressive blend of quickness and speed that could be interesting for the Rams to consider as their primary kick returner. One thing that is important to mention is that Ryan did not wow the Rams by returning anything, it was due to the plays he made all over the field. The talk was that the Rams actually had two WR's to make a name for themselves out of the tryout players and those were Ryan and Justice Liggins. Ryan ended up edging out Liggins in the competition and so he moved onto the next round.

Well, even with cuts already being made the self-proclaimed "Shake Time" is in the driver's seat to sneak in and take one of the spots remaining. Things just got a little easier for Shakeir as well seeing as we know now that Mike Thomas will serve a four-game suspension so he doesn't even count against this roster until after his four games. Make no mistake, and trust me I talked to Shakeir, he fits the culture of "We Not Me" and will definitely be a fun player to follow as we progress through camp.

Those are my three players, who are yours? Let us know!

fearsomefour

Legend
I can definitely agree with that. I really don't understand why we let Benny Cunningham go or why he left or whatever.
I liked Benny fine but to me he was just a solid guy.
Dunbar may fit McVeys passing designs better. I would have been fine keeping Benny.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I liked Benny fine but to me he was just a solid guy.
Dunbar may fit McVeys passing designs better. I would have been fine keeping Benny.
Yeah I guess we will see. I know one thing is for sure. If Carlos Hyde gets cut we need to jump on him.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
All 3 have a chance to make this roster at least to the practice squad...I will say if Ryan shows explosiveness as a return man..then he makes the team..... actually Tillery too... they fit roles that we don't have established guys in....

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
Jake. Are you going to school? Or just writing on blogs and websites and such?
I think you're doing a cool thing, and I wish you luck. I am a longtime member over at a Los Angeles Lakers board and one of the old posters there parlayed a similar scenario into a full-time gig with the LA Times. Keep at it, bro.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
All 3 have a chance to make this roster at least to the practice squad...I will say if Ryan shows explosiveness as a return man..then he makes the team..... actually Tillery too... they fit roles that we don't have established guys in....
Very good point. I think Ryan definitely is going to be kept around in some capacity as is Tillery.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Jake. Are you going to school? Or just writing on blogs and websites and such?
I think you're doing a cool thing, and I wish you luck. I am a longtime member over at a Los Angeles Lakers board and one of the old posters there parlayed a similar scenario into a full-time gig with the LA Times. Keep at it, bro.
That's awesome! Yeah, I'm just a college dropout that works in an office full time then basically works another 40 hours or more on Downtown Rams. I podcast if you don't know our podcast we get some pretty awesome guests on each week and I write. Thank you for the kind words.I hope to expand Downtown Rams someday. I basically expanded this year announcing I will cover the Rams and both NFL draft and Fantasy football topics. I also plan on covering the Senior Bowl so I will have exclusive content from the senior bowl on my right that I can share here too. Should be fun!!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That's awesome! Yeah, I'm just a college dropout that works in an office full time then basically works another 40 hours or more on Downtown Rams. I podcast if you don't know our podcast we get some pretty awesome guests on each week and I write. Thank you for the kind words.I hope to expand Downtown Rams someday. I basically expanded this year announcing I will cover the Rams and both NFL draft and Fantasy football topics. I also plan on covering the Senior Bowl so I will have exclusive content from the senior bowl on my right that I can share here too. Should be fun!!

Well I'll say this about the Senior Bowl .

Phil Savage rocks !!He also said he thinks Gerald Everett will next Dak Prescott as far as surprise players.

If your doing fantasy football, one of The Rams TE's are going to breakout this year. Gerald Everett said it himself. He & Tyler Higbee have been working out together at least 3 hrs a day .He says they are going to run a lot of the same packages Jordan Reed was running in Washington.

You make a good point about WR position. I think Ram fans that question Everett & John Johnson as being a excellent 2nd rd draft pick really don't appreciate how freaking good of a move that was. --McVay wanted Everett & Les got more by adding John Johnson who Wade liked. He knew Johnson from Justin Simmons from BC.
I know your not a Snead fan , but this is when you will see how much talent The Rams have. This guys (udfa) are going to not stick this season.

I do like Pace Murray & The center from Washington. Kromer is going to be great. Letting
Robinson go just shows you the depth The Rams have.

Feeney & Lamp are both in LA so will see. I'm sure Rivers is happy.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I tend to believe all will have an uphill battle, however, of the three, Ryan could make an impact with his speed. Don't see Tillery getting much of a shot as IMO, Aaron Green & even Justin Williams might get more opportunity and Jefferson could surprise, but seems like too much of a tweener, however, a few impact plays in preseason could change things, but of the three, IMO Ryan to the practice squad.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
As always, the key question for each player to answer is, "What can you do for us on special teams?" That will decide who makes the final roster and who doesn't.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ref. DL'er Jefferson & this new Ram Defense front. Rams are loaded (FACT) with 34 DE talent already NFL tested & proven starters. Donald/Easley/Westbrooks/Brockers are serious prospective starters @ both DE posts. On top of that Wade has 2 high level ex 43 DE's (Quinn/Barwin) who have history of Pro Bowl level play in the DL, now starting @ OSLB'ers who are sure to be involved in with these two DE posts in passing situations. If your keeping count that six total prospects here already.

I'm not done either also ready to go is DE Matt Longacre who will enter his 3rd Rams training camp he has played & line up & played in 6 games in 2016 & 5 games in 2015. Then there is DE Morgan Fox who had a good TC & pre season last yr & was active in 4 games where he also lined up & played. Both these DL talents fits the 34 DL better than a 43 DL IMO. Then finally Snead drafted two rookie DL'ers in Smart & Price. So doing the math of the listed above are ten DE prospects who have I would list far ahead of Jefferson.

In conclusion I would argue there is a much bigger need for NT type prospects than a smaller DE types to catch on.

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Make the 53? I don't think any of those three will.

If they bust their rear end they can make the practice squad.

If anybody makes it I think it's Ryan because of his return abilities.

The guy is a water bug.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas

1. Shakeir Ryan=50% chance

2. Lenard Tillery=0% chance

3. A.J. Jefferson=0% chance

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

• Shakeir Ryan=0% chance
  • Lenard Tillery=0% chance
  • A.J. Jefferson=0% chance ( But I pick A.J. Because I'm always looking to improve Defensive Depth!)
All three will be LUCKY if they make the PS! JMHO!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I honestly think that Tillery makes the roster, while Ryan makes the practice squad. There really isn't much depth at running back, and Ryan is just too good to let go.