This doesn't bode well

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Smells like Johnny Tricycle Part Two. Anytime a player in any sport does this I question their success. I just don't like this, and I've seen exactly zero players who do this kind of thing amount to much.

My personal thoughts are in red.......hehehe.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2015/story/_/id/12410779/jameis-winston-files-trademark-famous-jameis

If Jameis Winston does become famous in the NFL, he's at least putting himself in position to capitalize on it.

Winston, the potential No. 1 overall NFL draft pick, has filed to trademark "Famous Jameis," a nickname he was given during his impressive two-year stint at Florida State, where he won a national title and a Heisman Trophy and only lost his last of 30 games as a starter.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/David J. PhillipJameis Winston has said he's been called "Famous Jameis" since his Little League baseball days.

"We have begun taking steps to protect our client and his intellectual property rights," said Russ Spielman, a partner of The Legacy Agency, which represents Winston. "Right now his sole focus is on football. We hope to utilize this way down the line."

Protect him and his intellectual property rights? It's a rip off of Famous Amos to begin with!!!

Records with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office show that The Legacy Agency filed the trademark on behalf of Winston on Feb. 5.

Winston has said he has been called the nickname since his Little League baseball days, but the phrase gained national steam as he rolled off impressive wins in the school's 2013 undefeated title season. It appeared on merchandise and a man from Alabama, where Winston is from, attempted to trademark it. The government office challenged the filing on the grounds it likely was connected to the football star.

In 2013, Winston told the Palm Beach Post that he wasn't paying attention to the spread of "Famous Jameis," because he was known as "Jaboo" while growing up in Hueytown, Alabama.

"When people call me Famous Jameis, I know I'm not famous, our team is famous," he told the Post. "That stuff comes with winning. As long as we keep winning it will come up."

Cashing in on the phrase, of course, depends on how good Winston becomes at the next level. Johnny Manziel, who won the Heisman in 2012, has filed for 10 different trademarks including for "Johnny Football," but Manziel's lack of impact this past season for the Cleveland Browns has cooled the prospective play for phrases he owns or soon will own on merchandise.

LOL @ Johnny Tricycle!!! Really dude? Ten phrases? Was one of them "homeless guys like me best"?

RGIII owns the trademark to his full name, Robert Griffin III, and has filed for the trademark to six other phrases, but his sponsor Adidas has used fewer of his phrases on its shirts and socks as the Washington Redskins quarterback has fallen from grace.

LOL even harder @ Griffin.

Man some guys have WAY too much ego and legal representation. Winston has some good company.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Like a rhinestone cowboy, bah bah!

They could always go the Chad Johnson route and legally change it to shithead or whatever of the dozen handles it is that reps them best. Warning boys, "He Hate Me" is taken.

Athos

Legend
Seriously, I think anyone who trademarks their own fucking (nick)name is a dickhead. Especially when it isn't even a nickname and especially when it's basically stolen from something else.

Especially someone who hasn't done a damn thing in the NFL. Johnny Foosball. Or worse, his ugly stepbrother Kenny "Trill." Boy did that end fast.

Like a rhinestone cowboy, bah bah!

They could always go the Chad Johnson route and legally change it to shithead or whatever of the dozen handles it is that reps them best. Warning boys, "He Hate Me" is taken.

Or "Meta WorldPeace."

Ugh. So. Fucking. Retarded.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is a pretty trivial thing to hold against another person. A lot of overreacting in this thread.

Athos

Legend
This is a pretty trivial thing to hold against another person. A lot of overreacting in this thread.

Meh, not really. Triviality doesn't mean it isn't a truly fucking retarded thing to do and the highest form of self-centered ego. I hate it no matter who does.

It's really, really stupid. Just like I think it's retarded when celebrities trademark the moronic creations they name their children or a dumbass like Trump "trakemarking" a phrase that was in existence long before his shriveled ass was born.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Eh, it's pretty weak imo but I'd still take him given the chance. I doubt we Get him though, so, HUNDLEY!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meh, not really. Triviality doesn't mean it isn't a truly freaking retarded thing to do and the highest form of self-centered ego. I hate it no matter who does.

It's really, really stupid. Just like I think it's retarded when celebrities trademark the moronic creations they name their children or a dumbass like Trump "trakemarking" a phrase that was in existence long before his shriveled ass was born.

No, it's actually very smart. It's an intelligent business move because somebody else can't profit off that phrase without you getting a cut.

Athos

Legend
No. It's dumb as shit and it's dumb as shit that trivial crap like that can be trademarked in the first place. Even more so if you end up falling flat on your stupid face like Kenny Trill.

If anyone would be trademarking that super dumb nickname, it should be the dude who gave him the nickname.

This what I hate about business in general, and even more so marketing and partly why I gave up on that hell-hole practice. Nothing but fake BS 24/7 in that field.

Sometimes I really hate this world. And this is one reason why. Really arrogant, really egotistical, really petty ways to make a quick buck.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No. It's dumb as crap and it's dumb as crap that trivial crap like that can be trademarked in the first place. Even more so if you end up falling flat on your stupid face like Kenny Trill.

If anyone would be trademarking that super dumb nickname, it should be the dude who gave him the nickname.

This what I hate about business in general, and even more so marketing and partly why I gave up on that hell-hole practice. Nothing but fake BS 24/7 in that field.

Sometimes I really hate this world. And this is one reason why. Really arrogant, really egotistical, really petty ways to make a quick buck.

So another guy should be able to profit off of Winston? That seems right to you?

You take this way too seriously, dude. Why shouldn't you be able to profit off of yourself?

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think it's a smart business move.

Of course, I say that knowing full well that I drug my feet and lost, "Let's Get Reeaaaaady to Rumble!" Kicking myself boys.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it's a smart business move.

Of course, I say that knowing full well that I drug my feet and lost, "Let's Get Reeaaaaady to Rumble!" Kicking myself boys.

I think you can still get "Ram It". ;)

WestCoastRam

Legend
You know, it's funny, things like this have been happening for years, since Michael Jordan even. I think two things have happened since then:

1) The proliferation of sports reporting - EVERYTHING gets reported when things just didn't before.
2) The star power of college football. Years ago, we wouldn't have seen this because these kids wouldn't be these huge stars already due to the coverage of college sports.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Maybe I'll trademark "Mr. Tim." I can't tell you how many people have called me that since I was 30.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Lame. Just go out and play football. The ego's on some people...Lol.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
So another guy should be able to profit off of Winston? That seems right to you?

You take this way too seriously, dude. Why shouldn't you be able to profit off of yourself?

For one, being able to trademark something like that is stupid. Second, famous _____ is already taken. Third, it's like Kim Kardashian trade marking the word ass just because hers is famous.
Fourth, it's pathetic until you've actually succeeded in real life i.e. the professional level.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For one, being able to trademark something like that is stupid. Second, famous _____ is already taken. Third, it's like Kim Kardashian trade marking the word ass just because hers is famous.
Fourth, it's pathetic until you've actually succeeded in real life i.e. the professional level.

No, not at all. Considering the phrase "Famous Jameis" has his name in it, I don't think that's analogous. It would be more like her trademarking "Kim Kardashian's ass" and I don't think anyone should hold ill will towards her for doing that.

I'd say the guy has "succeeded" in real life. He won a National Championship, has a Heisman Trophy, and is about to be drafted in the top 10 picks if not #1. I'd feel pretty good about my life if I had accomplished all of that at 21 years old.

Being able to trademark a nickname is stupid? Not in my book.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Bill Hicks was right about marketing people. That includes PR and a good number of IP lawyers who don't care about anyone's rights, but solely care about "monetization" of the IP.