Thinking about OTA's then ....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I was sitting here thinking about OTA's, then I saw this Tweet From Ndamukong Suh posted 22 hours ago ... " Here I come L.A.!" It had a photo (I couldn't copy!) of him standing in the side-door of a moving Van!

Do you think he'll be here for the beginning of OTA's tomorrow!!? I Hope so!! Donald too!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I finally got a Copy of the photo for my Op above ...

DdlSIfwWkAAbhuL.jpg

Ram65

Legend
Nice pic of Suh.

I was wondering what they can do at OTAs. I think they install the offense and defense. This year they have a head start with last years base already solidified. You know McVay will be tweaking things. On defense Wade will probably add a good deal of things with different players.

https://www.nflpa.com/active-players/off-season-rules

Off Season Rules
General
  • Workouts cannot begin prior to the first Monday in April for clubs with a new head coach or the third Monday in April for all other clubs

• Workouts are strictly voluntary; Club officials cannot indicate workouts are anything other than voluntary

• Maximum 4 w/o per week (no weekends), with one week being the mandatory minicamp (not permitted on weekends)

• Contact work is prohibited in all workouts (e.g. "live" blocking, tackling, pass rushing, bump-and-run, etc.)

• Intensity and tempo of drills should be at a level conducive to learning, with player safty as the highest priority.
Phase One | 4 hours a day
  • Two weeks | Limited to strength and conditioning activities ("dead ball"); only strength and conditioning coaches allowed on field*

• 90 minute max on the field

• Clubs can only specify 2 hours for players to be at the facility

• Players choose the other 2 hours for weights, etc.
Phase Two | 4 hours a day
  • Three weeks | same rules as phase one apply except:
    • All coaches allowed on the field

• Individual and “perfect play” drills allowed

• No offense vs. defense, no one - on - one, no helmets
Phase Three | 6 hours a day
  • 4 weeks total
  • 3 weeks for 10 total OTA’s
  • A maximum of 3 OTA’s each week for the first 2 weeks
  • During Weeks 1 & 2 a 4th non OTA workout is allowed but phase two rules apply
  • A maximum of 4 OTA’s for the 3rd or 4th week
  • One week for mini camp
  • No pads except protective knee and elbow pads, helmets are permitted
  • No live contact
  • 7 on 7, 9 on 7 and 11 on 11 drills will be permitted provided no live contact takes place
Minicamp | 10 hours a day
  • Physicals on Monday but no practice

• Practices Tuesday-Thursday, with a day off on friday

• Allowed two practices totaling 3 ½ Hours on the field per day

• Second practice limited to walk through activities only

* Dead Ball Explanation:
-QBs can throw to receivers with no coverage
-Kickers and Punters can kick, but players cannot field the ball and no snappers or holders can be involved
-Long Snappers can snap into a net
-Defensive players may not catch balls at all regardless of who is throwing them.

Psycho_X

Legend
Donald too!!

As long as Donald doesn't have a new contract he won't be there. The real question will be whether he is playing week 1 if this doesn't get fixed before the season. Last year he waited to come back until the first week of the season and missed the opener... this year... how long does he hold out? Could be 6 weeks into the season this time.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Nice pic of Suh.

I was wondering what they can do at OTAs. I think they install the offense and defense. This year they have a head start with last years base already solidified. You know McVay will be tweaking things. On defense Wade will probably add a good deal of things with different players.

https://www.nflpa.com/active-players/off-season-rules

Off Season Rules
General
  • Workouts cannot begin prior to the first Monday in April for clubs with a new head coach or the third Monday in April for all other clubs

• Workouts are strictly voluntary; Club officials cannot indicate workouts are anything other than voluntary

• Maximum 4 w/o per week (no weekends), with one week being the mandatory minicamp (not permitted on weekends)

• Contact work is prohibited in all workouts (e.g. "live" blocking, tackling, pass rushing, bump-and-run, etc.)

• Intensity and tempo of drills should be at a level conducive to learning, with player safty as the highest priority.
Phase One | 4 hours a day
  • Two weeks | Limited to strength and conditioning activities ("dead ball"); only strength and conditioning coaches allowed on field*

• 90 minute max on the field

• Clubs can only specify 2 hours for players to be at the facility

• Players choose the other 2 hours for weights, etc.
Phase Two | 4 hours a day
  • Three weeks | same rules as phase one apply except:
    • All coaches allowed on the field

• Individual and “perfect play” drills allowed

• No offense vs. defense, no one - on - one, no helmets
Phase Three | 6 hours a day
  • 4 weeks total
  • 3 weeks for 10 total OTA’s
  • A maximum of 3 OTA’s each week for the first 2 weeks
  • During Weeks 1 & 2 a 4th non OTA workout is allowed but phase two rules apply
  • A maximum of 4 OTA’s for the 3rd or 4th week
  • One week for mini camp
  • No pads except protective knee and elbow pads, helmets are permitted
  • No live contact
  • 7 on 7, 9 on 7 and 11 on 11 drills will be permitted provided no live contact takes place
Minicamp | 10 hours a day
  • Physicals on Monday but no practice

• Practices Tuesday-Thursday, with a day off on friday

• Allowed two practices totaling 3 ½ Hours on the field per day

• Second practice limited to walk through activities only

* Dead Ball Explanation:
-QBs can throw to receivers with no coverage
-Kickers and Punters can kick, but players cannot field the ball and no snappers or holders can be involved
-Long Snappers can snap into a net
-Defensive players may not catch balls at all regardless of who is throwing them.
I am assuming from this^, that as of today we are now in Phase 3, is that correct!?

Lame as freak, they need to man up next CBA
I couldn't agree with you more!!(y)(y)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
As long as Donald doesn't have a new contract he won't be there. The real question will be whether he is playing week 1 if this doesn't get fixed before the season. Last year he waited to come back until the first week of the season and missed the opener... this year... how long does he hold out? Could be 6 weeks into the season this time.
I don't think Donald will play it the same way this year for several reasons!

* If Suh shows-up Donald will want to practice with him.
* Fines will be higher this year!
* Donald has all the leverage, the Team doesn't want to get into a "Tagging situation with Donald!
* IF Donald try's for an extended hold out it would only hurt him! IMHO
* I don't think Donald will want Suh to get ahead of him as far as prep work with the Team goes!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
There is a balance to all to all things. Yen and yang. Give and take.
All these limitations were designed to help limit injuries. So it goes.

Has it helped ? Doesn’t give other players opportunity?

I like what McVay has done.

Reggie does a good job as a trainer keeping players healthy.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

* Donald has all the leverage, the Team doesn't want to get into a "Tagging situation with Donald!
* I don't think Donald will want Suh to get ahead of him as far as prep work with the Team goes!

Roger Saffold will be happy the longer Donald’s holds out. Lol

— My thoughts are that there is no reason for Aaron Donald to be around for this part of camp. Last season he showed up, which was surprising.4

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Donald likes to do his own workouts in Pittsburgh. If he had a new contract, I still don't think he'll show up for voluntary workouts, which is fine with me since he's a gym rat and produces.

Psycho_X

Legend

I wish I could agree. Fines will be negligible, if not forgiven if he stays, once he gets a new contract from whoever gives him one. Donald has nothing to worry about from Suh. He's not going to take his job if he stays or reduce his value on the open market if he doesn't. Both Donald and the Rams have leverage on each other. Just depends on if either is willing to pull on it.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Kickers and Punters can kick, but players cannot field the ball and no snappers or holders can be involved
Does anyone find this as confusing as I do?
In what way would it be considered dangerous for someone to just catch the punt?
And why is hiking not permitted?
Would someone please explain this to me?

Psycho_X

Legend
Does anyone find this as confusing as I do?
In what way would it be considered dangerous for someone to just catch the punt?
And why is hiking not permitted?
Would someone please explain this to me?

Because.... reasons.

Best theory I can come up with is because it involves multiple people. Like, they can't "practice" against or with each other in live type situations so fielding a punt that another player kicked or hiking a ball to another player is too much like live action involving more than just one player? I don't know, it's stupid regardless but it's the world we live in now.

fearsomefour

Legend
Has it helped ? Doesn’t give other players opportunity?

I like what McVay has done.

Reggie does a good job as a trainer keeping players healthy.
Who knows?
The players agreement really limits the time in pads and hitting.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Who knows?
The players agreement really limits the time in pads and hitting.

Well isn’t that fact be present in the next meeting for practice time ?

McVay gives his players time off during the season. Especially the Vets.

Fisher Freaking Pissed me Off for Skipping the last 3 days of practice to take off early for himself.

Having the youngest team in the NFL & push the rookies to get all that info early , only to take off late. Players playing catch up the whole time.

This season McVay not having a real rookie camp helps slow things up during OTA’s for them , but gives them extra fundamentals on the side .