The Rock has bought the XFL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Why is it that a fight has to start if we disagree? It's like an opinion that leans a certain way is not allowed.
Because humans are inherently shitty. And that's not an attack on anyone, not on Loyal or you, it's an opinion of mine about every single human being on the planet (to include myself). And when I meet the person who defies that standard, they will be the exception that proves the rule. However, I bet that if we disagree you'll want to fight about it.

It's the same reason we say things that have no value but we know will start a fight. And the same reason we reply to those things with more things of no value that will continue the fight.

Also, we aren't supposed to do politics on the board. The original comment was either outright or borderline political. No good was ever going to come from that. But I guess I'm the bad guy here for suggesting that contentious, non-football issues be left elsewhere.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Because humans are inherently shitty. And that's not an attack on anyone, not on Loyal or you, it's an opinion of mine about every single human being on the planet (to include myself). And when I meet the person who defies that standard, they will be the exception that proves the rule. However, I bet that if we disagree you'll want to fight about it.

It's the same reason we say things that have no value but we know will start a fight. And the same reason we reply to those things with more things of no value that will continue the fight.

Also, we aren't supposed to do politics on the board. The original comment was either outright or borderline political. No good was ever going to come from that. But I guess I'm the bad guy here for suggesting that contentious, non-football issues be left elsewhere.
But the problem is that it has been made a football issue and that pisses me the fuck off, hence the wish that it not happen in the new XFL.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the reality TV angle is the key. I think the XFL could do wonders if each team had its own Youtube channel and and ran like a Hard Knocks type show leading up to the season. Similar to how the UFC used "The Ultimate Fighter" to introduce multiple fighters.
But like most of the Youtube content, they could air 2-3 times a week for like 8-15 minutes each episode.
Would do wonders for the game viewership if folks could be invested in the team before it even kicks off

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
But the problem is that it has been made a football issue and that pisses me the fuck off, hence the wish that it not happen in the new XFL.
I respectfully disagree that it's now a football issue. It isn't related to either playing, coaching, or planning for the game of football.

But, honestly it's neither here nor there and the best thing for us collectively is to just stop talking about it, in my opinion. As always, you're free to do what you want, so please don't feel like I'm trying to impose anything on you.

RamFanInPC

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I do disagree with you on "humans being inherently shitty" and I don't want to fight you over this. And I'll leave it at that.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
XFL owner Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson reveals when the league will be making its return

Less than two months after buying the XFL, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has announced when the league will be making its return. It's going to be happening in the spring of 2022, which means you now have just 18 months to decide which team you want to cheer for.

The WWE legend made the announcement of the return on Thursday, but didn't offer very much information regarding anything else about the restart, like how many teams there will be or where those teams will be located.

"As owners, we're proud to champion our XFL players, coaches, cities and fans into an electrifying 2022 season," The Rock wrote on social media. "I'm so inspired to put in the work because football always represented an opportunity to me. Opportunity to take care of my family. And even though my dreams of playing pro football never came true -- I'm in the exciting and humbling position to create opportunities for players so their dreams can come true. It's an uphill battle -- but we're hungry, humble and no one will outwork us."

View: https://twitter.com/therock/status/1311637402054799360?s=21

The Rock teamed up with business partner Dany Garcia and Redbird Capital to purchase the league out of bankruptcy court for $15 million in August.

The XFL was originally owned by Vince McMahon, but things went downhill fast for the WWE owner after the pandemic hit. Although the league got off to an impressive start in 2020, the XFL was only able to make it five weeks through its 10-game season before it had to be called off in mid-March due to the pandemic. Less than one month later, McMahon laid off nearly every employee. Shortly after that, the league declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy, which was how The Rock was able to gain ownership of it.

Apparently, the ownership group thought about trying to make a return in 2021, but decided to wait until 2022 because they didn't know if it would be safe enough for a return by next spring, according to XFL president and chief operating officer Jeffrey Pollack.

"For the love of football and for the safety of our players and fans, we'll be back on the field in 2022," Pollack said in a statement. "The opportunity in front of us, with our new ownership, is simply too big to rush back. We want to do this properly with care and thought for everyone who loves football, especially our players, coaches, partners and fans."

Based on his first two months of ownership, it sounds like The Rock is going to be a pretty hands-on owner. Because of that, the league might actually have a chance to succeed, which is something that spring football leagues haven't really been able to do to this point.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

XFL planning 2023 return after talks on partnership with CFL tabled​

The XFL announced on Wednesday that it is planning to relaunch in 2023 after talks with the Canadian Football League about collaboration between the two leagues were tabled.

The XFL and CFL both said in separate statements that the decision was jointly reached between the leagues.

"Our talks with the XFL, exploring the potential for collaboration and innovation, have been positive and constructive. While we remain open to finding new ways to work together in the future, we and our XFL counterparts have jointly decided to not pursue any formal arrangements at this time," the CFL said in a statement.

After the CFL's announcement, the XFL announced on its website that it is returning in 2023 and not next year as was previously announced.

"While our discussions with the CFL did not ultimately lead to a collaboration, the effort reinforced our belief and commitment to developing the XFL for international spring football. We look forward to seeing everyone for kickoff in spring of 2023," the league said in a statement to the Sports Business Journal.

The CFL said it is set to open its 2021 regular season on Aug. 5 and hold its championship game, the Grey Cup, on Dec. 12 in Hamilton, Ontario.

"We are looking forward to this year and a bright future for our league," the league said in the statement.

The CFL and XFL confirmed in March that they were discussing options for a potential partnership as they planned their return to the field following the COVID-19 pandemic.

The CFL canceled its 2020 season after failing to secure $30 million in aid from the Canadian government.

The XFL canceled its 2020 season after five weeks of games and was put into bankruptcy proceedings by former owner Vince McMahon. Dany Garcia and fellow owners Dwayne Johnson and RedBird Capital Partners paid $15 million for the league last summer.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'd love to see the Battlehawks come back. I kept pestering my dad to go to a game with me. We ended up not going to any games.

I know it's not the Rams, but I'd love to see football in St. Louis. Going to LA and SoFi remains on my all time bucket list. I just hope Kroenke made it wheelchair accessible.

Q729

Legend
I'd love to see the Battlehawks come back. I kept pestering my dad to go to a game with me. We ended up not going to any games.

I know it's not the Rams, but I'd love to see football in St. Louis. Going to LA and SoFi remains on my all time bucket list. I just hope Kroenke made it wheelchair accessible.
It was fun watching their home games on TV because of the attendance. Almost felt like we were going to have a Spring football option that would stick around for a while.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Did you really say that?
Jesus Mem, you’re better than that.

Wait, what do you mean? Look, I wasn't disparaging the man; I just said that I hope he made it wheelchair accessible because I'm in a wheelchair.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
@Memento OK - apologies. Thought you were - lot of St Loo's dislike the guy.

Anyway, not his call, and trust me, you will be able to go anywhere anyone else can.

Cheers.