The Rams’ New Wrinkle, and Why the NFC West Might Already Be Won

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, the "system QB" thing is a convenient made-up reason (pronounced "excuse") for those that labeled him a bust and are too pig-headed to admit they were wrong.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
There was plenty of hype before the season, mostly from 9er fans crowing about Garapalo’s undefeated stretch. Some even convinced themselves it was a 2 team race for the west this year, but most of us didn’t buy it, they looked to be fighting for 2nd, somewhere around .500. Even before he got hurt Jimmy G’s Star was fading a bit, sometimes that quick release turns into a chuck n duck and that deep ball runs out of gas. So it’s back to the drawing board for them and JImmy will have to wait another year to show what all the fuss was about.
Then they will claim that he was never as good after the injury, when in fact he was never as good to begin with...

Ram65

Legend
It amazes me how Jared Goff was being evaluated in his rookie year. We all know the Goff was not given the proper preparation and training year one. Many including myself saw the glimpses with some good throws that first year. You could see the talent. Never forget how Goff told everyone that the Rams will get better and he will get better. He would do whatever it takes to get better. Just like he did at Cal.

All good reading. This one really shows what Goff has learned since last year and the first year. He can make all the throws and it' fun to watch.

Play 5 — Chargers

The situation: Second quarter, 1:40 left; 1st-and-10, Rams 32

The throw: In hurry-up, Goff takes the shotgun snap, gets protection and finds Woods on a deep out-breaking route. The ball clears Pro Bowl corner Casey Heyward’s outstretched arm by no more than a foot or two, and hits the receiver less than a second before rookie Derwin James makes it over to help on the coverage.

The quarterback’s take: “It was Cover 2. That would be a throw—that’s the best example of one that would’ve been tougher last year, just in me understanding defenses and understanding what their intent is, and understanding, what’s Casey’s responsibility and what’s Derwin’s responsibility, and being able to manipulate that in the way that we did. And feeling confident in where to throw the ball and knowing Robert would be there. All of it comes back to being confident in the receiver and really trusting him.”

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
On Colin Cowherd yesterday, there was a guy on there (don't remember who) and they were talking about Goff and this whole "system QB" thing.

Cowherd's take is that talent doesn't win you Super Bowls...systems do.

Name any QB that's won a Super Bowl and there's a coherent system. Also, with HoF QBs, there's a coherent system (because you can't ignore Marino and Fouts)

The counter-example was "what about Favre?" Well, when he was with Holmgren in the WCO (Holmgren is from the Walsh coaching tree) he won 3 MVPs, 2 SB appearances and won one and had a winning record in the playoffs. After Holmgren? No MVPs, no SB appearances and a losing record in the playoffs.

Systems matter.

The other example was Jeff George. Never had a legit system (didn't help some of his work ethic stuff and knuckleheadedness) and all that ridiculous talent and massive arm pretty much went to waste and he like Cutler became a coach killer.

But every great QB... Montana and Young? Walsh WCO. Favre? Holmgren WCO. Fouts? Air Coryell. Brady? Belichick EP. Brees? Payton WCO. Warner? Martz Coryell. Aikman? Turner WCO.

Name the great QB and there's a corresponding coherent offensive system.

If anything, "system QB" is a compliment, not a pejorative.

I mean I hate Brady with a passion, but there's no question that he's been money for almost 2 decades in that offense.

And Manning? He was such a "system QB" that he brought his offense to Denver rather than learn another one.

Anyone who says a player is a system QB doesn't know (and I'm sure when I didn't understand, I probably said the same thing...most likely about Brady, no less).

Honestly, his detractors can call Goff, "Delores". As long as he and McVay are on the same page and they continue to light up the league and innovate, those detractors will also be forced to call them Super Bowl Champs.

And that's all right with me.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
So I'm guessing you take "Umbridge" to them, eh? :p ;)

“I believe you mean, umbrage,” he said pedantically. /blue font

Damn phone. Won’t let me select text...

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
“I believe you mean, umbrage,” he said pedantically. /blue font

Damn phone. Won’t let me select text...

I was making a Harry Potter joke. Dolores Umbridge was probably the only person more hated in that series than Voldemort.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I was making a Harry Potter joke. Dolores Umbridge was probably the only person more hated in that series than Voldemort.

My bad!

I may be the only person who hadn’t read the series...

Limey

Rookie
Interesting reading Goff's takes on the throws where he says he put it there and trusted the receiver to get to it. Reminded me of the INT that was aimed at Everett in the endzone v San Diego. The commentator at the time said that Everett had run a lazy route. Wonder if that would have been a TD instead if the target had been Kupp.