The Rams Are Stuck Playing Catch Up in the Draft/Karraker

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
The Rams Are Stuck Playing Catch Up in the Draft
By Randy Karraker

http://www.101sports.com/2015/05/04/the-rams-are-stuck-playing-catch-up-in-the-draft/

As the Rams worked their way through the 2015 draft, I liked what I heard. I didn’t think there was a player taken in the ten selected after Todd Gurley that I thought would have been a better choice than him. And I liked the way they tried to rebuild the offensive line, and got a developmental quarterback in Sean Mannion.

That being said, I’m still waiting to see Jeff Fisher and Les Snead implement a program.

The best franchises in the NFL have a forward thinking plan to replace departing players. To this point, this administration seems to scramble to replace departing guys with rookies rather than developed players.

The 2012 and 2013 drafts stocked a depleted roster. The Rams had so little talent before Fisher arrived that they needed to take players and use them immediately. However, in the 2014 and 2015 drafts, a plan for the future may have served them better.

Last year, with the knowledge that Jake Long was coming off a knee injury and Joe Barksdale was going to be a free agent in 2015, the Rams used their first pick on Greg Robinson. He was a developmental player that the team hoped would be able to play guard for a season and step in at tackle this year, after Long departed. But Robinson’s development accelerated when Long got hurt again last season, and they hope he’ll improve this year and perform better than he did as a rookie.

In the 2014 second round, the Rams traded up to take slot corner Lamarcus Joyner. Even though the Rams had a pair of safeties that they liked in Rodney McCleod and Tim McDonald, and had three young corners in Trumaine Johnson, Janoris Jenkins and Brandon McGee, they decided to take Joyner, who barely played in his rookie year.

To compound the Joyner decision, the Rams traded for Tampa’s Mark Barron during the season and got great work out of cornerback E.J. Gaines during his rookie year. Hindsight being 20-20, would the Rams have been better off saving the fifth round pick they dealt moving up three spots, and getting another player they liked who could step up in 2015?

In round three last year, the Rams took Tre Mason, who they chose to draft over 2013 rookies Zac Stacy and Benny Cunningham. Mason ascended to a starting role, so that worked out fine.

But in round four in 2014, the Rams took developmental safety Maurice Alexander. They already had two starters and had taken Joyner, who was listed as a safety. With upcoming free agency for Barksdale and a need for a developmental quarterback, they added to their safety collection.

Because they’d traded their fifth rounder to move up for Joyner, the Rams’ next choice was in the sixth. Having overloaded at safety at the expense of taking a quarterback, they took Gaines as their first sixth rounder, then took Garrett Gilbert, who had no chance of ever supplanting Sam Bradford.

In the seventh round, they tried to work on the offensive line by picking Mitchell Van Dyk and Demetrius Rhaney, but would up getting no production from any of their last five choices, cutting three of them and placing two in injured reserve.

With injury issues facing Jake Long and Bradford, and impending free agency for Barksdale, might it have been more prudent for the Rams to have two tackles and a representative quarterback ready for 2015?

Sure enough, both tackles and the quarterback are now gone. And to get a backup quarterback, they had to give up this year’s seventh rounder to Houston for Case Keenum, whom they cut last December.

Fast forward to this year’s draft.

After the 2015 season, Chris Long will be 31 and heading into the last year of his contract. William Hayes and Eugene Sims will be unrestricted free agents. If the Rams had the QB and the OT ready to go for this season, they would have been able to use one or more of their choices on defensive ends to get ready for when they aren’t around. With Johnson and Jenkins both heading to free agency after 2015, wouldn’t it be helpful to have a highly-regarded corner to get ready for 2016?

The best way to manage a football roster is to have players developed and ready to step in for upcoming free agents or players that are going to be thirty or more years old. The Rams easily could have had two offensive tackles and a quarterback ready to take off in 2015, but instead have a troubling redundancy at the safety position.

Because they didn’t get ready for this year last year, next season they’ll be in a position where they have to take defensive ends and cornerbacks they should have taken in the latest draft that also will have to be counted on as rookies.

There might be a better way to build a program.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Unexpected injuries are the key to this assumption that the Rams didn't plan far enough ahead. No one can plan for that. "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Snisher have been playing catch up since they got here,,CUZ we SUCKED so bad....I would imagine replacing players will be more thought out from here on out...

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Snisher have been playing catch up since they got here,,CUZ we SUCKED so bad....I would imagine replacing players will be more thought out from here on out...

Well, they did throw a LOT of resources at safety in particular - it probably would have been wise to better spread the resources rather than use so many mid-round picks in one spot. Maybe BPA at those spots happened to be marginal upgrades at SS, but trying another 4th round G even after Rok Watkins ate his way off the team might have made more sense.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I think we're doing ok. We've never had an offensive line to speak of our d-line is second to none, and we are building depth there, our secondary was shocking, it's getting there now. Fisher really does have an obsession with RBs though!

Limey

Rookie
There is some truth to what he said, but the situation next year isn't as stark as he implies. They might lose one of Tru or JJ - if they want them badly enough they can pay them to stay. If they only keep one, they have Gaines and Joyner. With another year of experience, Roberson or McGee might be ok. At DE, maybe Long, Hayes and Simms all decline, maybe they don't. They can afford to lose one, maybe two. If Long declines, they can renegotiate or cut him. If they cut him there are other teams' FAs they can spend the Long money on. If he doesn't decline, they don't have a problem. They have Westbrooks for depth if the backups decline. They have a couple of rookie DLs to bring to camp. If they don't pan out, there is another draft next year. They have a great DL coach in Wauffle, and whoever plays on that line will be single teamed with Quinn and Donald and maybe Fairley to account for.

I wanted them to draft another OL last year, and would have preferred them to take a QB before the 6th round, but I don't think there are many deeper rosters than ours, and with Demoff managing the cap, they aren't doing it on tick, either. If he wants to talk about bad planning, maybe he could focus on a team in cap hell that has to get rid of good players that they can't afford to pay. Given where Snisher started from in terms of roster depth, it's pretty churlish to be picking at them because they might not have 4 good corners and 4 good DEs prior to next year's draft.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
There is a bit of truth to this, but I believe the cornerback position is a big strength. That is why they loaded up on this position last year. Roberson played good in a limited role. Tru Johnson is someone I would sign after this year. If JJ keeps up with getting fooled with the PA passes from Qbs and looking in the backfield, you would want to move him somewhere else or let him walk. Gaines played well and will only get better. And as far as the secondary, I am still scared for the FS position. I hope Rodney makes leaps and bounces in his coverage, which make JJ look a little silly at times.

This years draft IMO needed to address the O line, which they did. This is where I can side with Randy. One can only hope Rhaney and Barrett Jones can may an impact. I also think that the only true starters the Rams have is GRob, Saffold, and Havenstein

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Another brilliant journalist with 20/20 hindsight. They're just coming out of the woodwork today. "If only the Rams had done this one very obvious thing that is plain as day now and even a child would have known to have done back then, they'd be in so much better of a position today..."

The Rams easily could have had two offensive tackles and a quarterback ready to take off in 2015, but instead have a troubling redundancy at the safety position.

So after all that journalistic rambling, this is the conclusion?!? I suppose nobody remembers that going into the 2013 season we had NOBODY playing S (McLeod was the one carryover aka "nobody to playing S"), and drafted McDonald out of need. It was only in the middle of 2014 that McDonald really had his breakout, and we picked up Barron opportunistically.

With injury issues facing Jake Long and Bradford, and impending free agency for Barksdale, might it have been more prudent for the Rams to have two tackles and a representative quarterback ready for 2015?

Umm... they did and they are. They got GRob last year, traded for veteran Reynolds, they drafted 4 OL, and have Saffold in a pinch. For QB, they traded for Foles, traded for Keenum, drafted developmenal guy Mannion... what am I missing here? Did the season start last week and we couldn't field a full offensive squad??

I mean, the team lost starting LT and starting QB to season ending ACL injuries, what can you do? You build for next year which is what the Rams have done.

Memphis Ram

Legend
This makes little sense to me. Aren't all teams stuck playing catch up? Free agency. Injuries. Retirements. Suspensions. Players play somehow decline sharply (remember Finnegan). Team needs change all the time.

Looks like Karraker is writing as if team needs influence player availability in the NFL draft and as if all draft choices actually make it.

Alan

Legend
nighttrain with this:
Writer contradicts himself all over. Don;t not care for it, all hind sight
I'm certainly not a fan of Snisher's drafts and this guy probably can't even spell research but I agree with this:
"There might be a better way to build a program."
Do they have a long term plan? They probably wouldn't tell us if they did and I can understand why they wouldn't but after three years you should be able to detect at least the rudiments of some kind of plan. I've got nada. Anybody else see something?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I'm certainly not a fan of Snisher's drafts and this guy probably can't even spell research but I agree with this:
Do they have a long term plan? They probably wouldn't tell us if they did and I can understand why they wouldn't but after three years you should be able to detect at least the rudiments of some kind of plan. I've got nada. Anybody else see something?

Now Alan,,, isn't it true that you have less than perfect vision ?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

well the d is exactly where the rams want it. they looked like they were going for an up tempo offense in 2013 with all their acquisitions but after 4 rounds fisher had seen enough and started bringing it back all the way to what they did in the draft this season, go old school.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
If only we had drafted Arron Rogers....o_O

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman

Respectfully, I thought the Rams plan was known the day Jeff Fisher arrived.
  1. Build a dominating D based on a dominating defensive line, stop the run and pressure the opposing QB, have an athletic LB and secondary that can convert all that DL pressure into turnovers.
  2. Build on offense based on a power running game and high percentage passes that makes few mistakes, but has at least a few guys that can produce explosive plays.
  3. Build based on the draft (the plethora of RGIII picks) rather than free agency.
  4. Ride our franchise QB, Sam Bradford, as far as he can take us.
Of course, the Bradford thing was a miss. And while they've had to make do with what they've had over the past few years, deal with setbacks, the plan is still the plan.

Alan

Legend
junkman explaining the plan:
Respectfully, I thought the Rams plan was known the day Jeff Fisher arrived.
  1. Build a dominating D based on a dominating defensive line, stop the run and pressure the opposing QB, have an athletic LB and secondary that can convert all that DL pressure into turnovers.
  2. Build on offense based on a power running game and high percentage that makes few mistakes, but with a few home run hitters.
  3. Build based on the draft (the plethora of RGIII picks) rather than free agency.
  4. Ride our franchise QB, Sam Bradford, as far as he can take us.
Of course, the Bradford thing was a miss. And while they've had to make do with what they've had over the past few years, deal with setbacks, the plan is still the plan.
Half of those I would put in the goals category and 3 & 4 would only be a part of the plan.

Possibly we have different definitions of what a plan is, in this case. To me the plan is the logistics involved to reach your goals.

I just read the transcript of an interview with Greg Cosell about the Rams draft and it was very informative. I may have to change my stance on this. He made a very convincing case about why the Rams did what they did on draft day and with a plan in mind which they followed. While that's only a tactical plan for this draft and not a strategic plan for how he wants to reach his goals, I didn't think they had a really good plan that they followed in this draft. I think I was wrong about that and so that makes me suspect my whole stance on them lacking a coherent overall plan. If they are I don't agree with many of the things they're doing but that's another discussion.

I'm going to think about it some more.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
(Fart noise)

Its unbelievable sometimes to think about how many buffoons there are who get paid to talk about sports .....