The Rams' approach takes discipline... will it provide dividends?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
In the last two years, the Rams have pivoted from a "F them picks," "all in" championship run, to a two-year story arc consisting of a purge, infusion of youth, and (in all likelihood) major push in 2024.

This wasn't the only option. The Rams could have held on to guys like Jalen Ramsey, Leonard Floyd, Allen Robinson and Bobby Wagner for another season. They could have kicked the can down the road to create space for guys like Greg Gaines, or even OBJ. With aging stars like Matthew Stafford and Aaron Donald, and Sean McVay being pursued by the networks, there had to be a strong impulse to go full throttle for one more year.

Instead, the Rams are being patient, fiscally responsible, and, in my opinion, smart.

There are certainly no guarantees in sports, but if the Rams can find 3-4 above average starters from the 2022 and 2023 draft (and undrafted FA) classes, they will be poised to contend again in 2024, and to do so with a solid base that can be sustained for multiple seasons.

Are you ready for this long game, and do you think it will pay off?

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I'm honestly enjoying the approach they are taking and I find it exciting and refreshing. We get to see if Snead and McVay can do it all over again and how it's comparable and different from the 2017-22 teams. I don't know if it will pay off but regardless I'm strapped in and ready for this ride that is the next few seasons.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Patience is required along with discipline. its gonna be tough when rival fans take advantage of the down year to talk trash. Just have to be patient and remember a very short time ago we were champions of the world. And in time we might be there again.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
World Champion Los Angeles Rams! Still so sweet!
This guy wanted that title more than anyone else in the NFL! Just ask the 49's!
Any chance I get to post and remind the 49's they choked a 17-7 lead with 1 quarter to go, I'm going to do it.
Go ahead and beat us in the regular season this year, twice, I'm fine with that. You still choked when it mattered.
1685725050792.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah we're gonna hit some big potholes this year in the road. But overall might still factor in to things and it sets us up to reload this train for another run. So let's go. I'm ready for a non-playoff year and tuning my enjoyment around watching the pieces on this roster hopefully come together a bit.

dang

Legend
In the last two years, the Rams have pivoted from a "F them picks," "all in" championship run, to a two-year story arc consisting of a purge, infusion of youth, and (in all likelihood) major push in 2024.

This wasn't the only option. The Rams could have held on to guys like Jalen Ramsey, Leonard Floyd, Allen Robinson and Bobby Wagner for another season. They could have kicked the can down the road to create space for guys like Greg Gaines, or even OBJ. With aging stars like Matthew Stafford and Aaron Donald, and Sean McVay being pursued by the networks, there had to be a strong impulse to go full throttle for one more year.

Instead, the Rams are being patient, fiscally responsible, and, in my opinion, smart.

There are certainly no guarantees in sports, but if the Rams can find 3-4 above average starters from the 2022 and 2023 draft (and undrafted FA) classes, they will be poised to contend again in 2024, and to do so with a solid base that can be sustained for multiple seasons.

Are you ready for this long game, and do you think it will pay off?
We had our “all in” Lombardi. I’m 60 (getting older but hopefully have good number of years left). I’m very cool with a build over the next 2 years for a sustained run for 5+ years to take me into retirement. Plus next years draft/FA should be the most exciting in forever.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm honestly enjoying the approach they are taking and I find it exciting and refreshing. We get to see if Snead and McVay can do it all over again and how it's comparable and different from the 2017-22 teams. I don't know if it will pay off but regardless I'm strapped in and ready for this ride that is the next few seasons.
This is a good outlook. Sit back and watch these guys work (Snead and McVay).

They know what a playoff team looks like. They know what a championship team looks like. It will be fun watching them figure it out again.

nighttrain

Legend
Yeah we're gonna hit some big potholes this year in the road. But overall might still factor in to things and it sets us up to reload this train for another run. So let's go. I'm ready for a non-playoff year and tuning my enjoyment around watching the pieces on this roster hopefully come together a bit.
Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but if Alaric Jackson is the real deal, there is no telling how far this team can go, if not draft or sign the best Left Tackle available next year.
train

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but if Alaric Jackson is the real deal, there is no telling how far this team can go, if not draft or sign the best Left Tackle available next year.
train
No doubt. But gonna wait and see with him too. In his own way he's got just as many questions surrounding him as Boom does. I think he's probably a better LT but can he hold up to the rigors of the NFL week to week.

So best case scenario is he and Boom duke it out in camp and it's close. Then we have two guys hopefully to hold it down and get us through this season. But I would certainly be happy if Jackson wins LT and kills it this season there. Just not sure either of these guys has what it takes other than getting us through 2023 but we'll see.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
It'll be fine. Just...

1. Don't talk about the Rams around other people.
2. Don't watch the Rams play football.
3. Don't check the box score after games.
4. Don't watch NFL coverage.
5. Don't wear any Rams gear in public.
6. And, don't put any money on the Rams winning.

Do...

1. Focus on our draft capital.
2. Focus on our cap space in 2024.
3. Focus on how bad Arizona is.
4. Focus on the trophy case.

RamnSD

Rookie
Name
RamnSD
It seems pretty iffy whether McVay will be back after the 2023 season. The demands of the job have been hard on him. If I had to bet, I would put money on the likelihood he's headed for some time away from coaching after this season.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It'll be fine. Just...

1. Don't talk about the Rams around other people.
2. Don't watch the Rams play football.
3. Don't check the box score after games.
4. Don't watch NFL coverage.
5. Don't wear any Rams gear in public.
6. And, don't put any money on the Rams winning.

Do...

1. Focus on our draft capital.
2. Focus on our cap space in 2024.
3. Focus on how bad Arizona is.
4. Focus on the trophy case.
Meh. I'll probably do all of those don'ts.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
train
Ideally, financial commitment plays only a small part if any, and the best 5 start. I am optimistic we have 5 serviceable starters in camp, let's get them properly slotted.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
We had our “all in” Lombardi. I’m 60 (getting older but hopefully have good number of years left). I’m very cool with a build over the next 2 years for a sustained run for 5+ years to take me into retirement. Plus next years draft/FA should be the most exciting in forever.
Agreed. The "All In" CHAMPIONSHIP continues to age like a fine wine while the haters sip vinegar. In a perfect world, the Rams win another one in a couple years with a ton of homegrown talent.

What will those vinegar sippin' haters say then? I guess it doesn't matter... Bcuz who listens to vinegar sippers anyway? :)

GO RAMS!!

tempests

Hall of Fame
Not sure I get the concept of what this "big push" in 2024 is supposed to be.

For all I know, they're entering the "we're young and we're competitive" phase of football again. And last time, the Rams were stuck there longer than I wanted them to be.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I know I'm gonna enjoy this season 1000 times more than last season. My expectations were too high last season and when I saw them play like docile, content hogs from the opening whistle i switched off. I literally fell asleep during games last season. Awful to watch.

Gonna be fun this season. I'm expecting them to actually give a shit.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No doubt. But gonna wait and see with him too. In his own way he's got just as many questions surrounding him as Boom does. I think he's probably a better LT but can he hold up to the rigors of the NFL week to week.

So best case scenario is he and Boom duke it out in camp and it's close. Then we have two guys hopefully to hold it down and get us through this season. But I would certainly be happy if Jackson wins LT and kills it this season there. Just not sure either of these guys has what it takes other than getting us through 2023 but we'll see.
Merlin's jumpin on the Crazy Train!....er the Super Bowl Train!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djrl6fu8myo

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Love McSnead and respect their plan.

They had a fantastic five year run, then made some bad choices (and got horrible injury luck) in year 6.

Losing out on Von Miller really screwed them over and left then with bad options. They all but admitted they didn't do their "due diligence" before the ARobinson signing.

Now they have decided that the best way to go is ti go "all cheap and develop the young guys" in 2023 so they can get back to their usual "ALL IN" ways for 2024 and beyond.

McSnead have earned my trust for sure. I'll keep my expectations low for 2023 and enjoy watching the young guys develop. Then I'll get greedy again in 2024.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'm honestly looking forward to this season.
The potential of the Oline moving forward is exciting... If Jackson can build on what we've already seen at LT from him? Awesome. Put an absolute ass-kicker at guard next to him in Avila and that side will rock. We'll get enough between Allen and Shelton to get through this season.. the winner of Anchrum-Bruss should be solid and we have Hav back.

They can build on that and haven't spent much draft capital. It could be really good.

That.. and we get to see the coaches go to work. I look for an excited, energetic team and sideline.. not weighed down by expectation.. but lifted by competitive fire.