The prayer at the start of yesterday's NASCAR race

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm not sure quite where to put this, and I also don't want to start a religious/political debate, but I was quite surprised that NASCAR and FOX aired the whole prayer. I've never heard any public prayer (let alone aired on network TV) like that before any sporting event. Super Bowl, World Series, not even other NASCAR races. It was always the anthem and maybe some other patriotic song.

Was it a one time thing at that particular track or does NASCAR always do this? Again, I was just surprised and curious they did this.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Nascar does that before every race. Sometimes it is aired sometimes its not.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
As dangerous as NASCAR can be, I'd want all the prayer I could get if I was one of the drivers.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Nascar does that before every race. Sometimes it is aired sometimes its not.

Interesting, is it just because the fanbase or what? Honestly, I've never seen once seen a NASCAR race for more than 5 seconds at a time when I'm flipping through channels.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Interesting, is it just because the fanbase or what? Honestly, I've never seen once seen a NASCAR race for more than 5 seconds at a time when I'm flipping through channels.

It probably has somethin to do with Nascar originating in the south/bible belt.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I must admit I've never seen it, but I like the idea.

A55VA6

Legend
They do a prayer before every race for the safety of the drivers. It's a tradition that Nascar has always done. It's a dangerous sport and there have been drivers that have been involved in wrecks and were severely injured and some have lost their lives. Alot of those drivers rely on prayer to get them through the race.

PhxRam

Not much different then a prayer that is said in most locker rooms before a game.

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They do a prayer before every race for the safety of the drivers. It's a tradition that Nascar has always done. It's a dangerous sport and there have been drivers that have been involved in wrecks and were severely injured and some have lost their lives. Alot of those drivers rely on prayer to get them through the race.

Really? I've never, ever heard one before a race. National anthem and that's pretty much it.

Not much different then a prayer that is said in most locker rooms before a game.

But those aren't live and aired on network TV in it's entirety, led by the PA guy. Even in big events like the Super Bowl where they show the guys in the locker room praying, but never actually hearing what they say.

PhxRam

Really? I've never, ever heard one before a race. National anthem and that's pretty much it.

But those aren't live and aired on network TV in it's entirety, led by the PA guy. Even in big events like the Super Bowl where they show the guys in the locker room praying, but never actually hearing what they say.

I have heard it numerous times in a NBA locker room

bluecoconuts

Legend

Most of the time those aren't really aired or with the entire stadium joining in. I guess since NASCAR drivers don't huddle up, and since the majority of the region is Christian they just go for it, you would think that some non-Christians may feel a little weirded out by it.

Last edited:

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have heard it numerous times in a NBA locker room

Well hearing is different than actually devoting (pun intended) a segment to air it live. That's all.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Always has been this way. joe Gibbs has delivered it several times.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'll add something to this.......

Recently I was in a Council meeting in Naples. They opened with a prayer and I was taken aback because of the whole church and state thing. I was actually offended by it, and I'll make no secret that I am not religious, and I wasn't the only one. I as looking around the room and saw a few perplexed looks.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
With all due respect to the OP and anyone else who has posted on this thread, it is now locked. Why? Because we all know how religious discussions can sometime end up parting the best of friends. Yes, so far it's been civil but eventually it will turn toxic like every other discussion on religion tends to when there are polar opposite points of view. ROD does not allow religious or political discussions of any kind for that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.