The Los Angeles Rams Are Stuck In Uniform Purgatory

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
960x0.jpg

This past weekend, the Los Angeles Rams played host to the Seattle Seahawks, and while the result may not have gone in favor of the Rams, they definitely won the battle of the uniforms. That's because the Rams decided to break out their popular throwbacks.

Those uniforms are synonymous with the Rams' most recent stint in Los Angeles, and it's also the uniform the team wore during its Super Bowl-winning season in St. Louis. It's safe to say that this is a popular uniform, and it's a look that fans and even former players were clamoring to see the Rams return to as they moved back to Los Angeles.

However, they've chosen not to do that, and it's apparent that the Rams are content with leaving their old color scheme in the past in favor of an even older color scheme of blue and white. The Rams have steadily tried to eliminate gold from their color scheme for the first two seasons of their return to Los Angeles. The gradual elimination of gold will culminate with brand-new uniforms once they move into their new stadium, but they can't make wholesale changes until then.

With that being said, the Rams have experienced some growing pains in the process of reaching their blue-and-white promised land. The most obvious is whenever the team is forced to wear blue jerseys like it had to in Week 4 against the Dallas Cowboys.

Granted, the NFL rules on uniform changes kind of hamstrung the Rams when it came to making wholesale changes. With that being said, it's clear that the Rams don't want to wear their blue jerseys because they clash so much with the direction that they're planning to go. The gold numbers and trim on the jerseys clash heavily with the white ram horns on the helmet and the thick white stripe on the pants, so it's just an overall weird look for the Rams.

It doesn't look as bad when the team is wearing all-white (as you can see below), but it's still clear that the Rams are "in between" uniforms at the moment, rather than having a solid identity that you can point out the second that you look at them.

You could easily make the argument that the Rams would have been better off being patient and just living with the gold in their color scheme until they had the chance to actually make complete changes. Instead, the Rams are in a bit of a blue-white-and-gold purgatory until they can make the changes that they really want.

Of course, they could always have a change of heart and go back to the classic look, but apparently purgatory is more attractive to the Rams than blue and gold.

960x0.jpg

960x0.jpg

[www.forbes.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We are all anxious to see the new uniforms once the Los Angeles Rams move into their new palatial venue, however, to apiece the masses, IMHO, they did the right thing as the Los Angeles fan contingent was not a fan of the Millennium Blue or Old Gold so the Rams felt going back to blue & white was a better option, however, now I believe they have realized fans and players like the Blue & Yellow and IMO, that will be the scheme of the new uniform with the blue & white as the throwbacks and as always, JMHO.

Psycho_X

Legend
You could easily make the argument that the Rams would have been better off being patient and just living with the gold in their color scheme until they had the chance to actually make complete changes.

It's not like they had to get years of approval to change the horns white... soooo, why can't they just wear gold horns for the few games they are forced to wear the blue jerseys? Would look less stupid. Just a really moronic choice by them this season. The away jerseys look fine enough. Also, I like how the author assumes they are moving to blue and white. I think they are just doing that because it's the only change they can do with current scheme that looks remotely like old colors.

however, now I believe they have realized fans and players like the Blue & Yellow and IMO, that will be the scheme of the new uniform with the blue & white as the throwbacks and as always, JMHO.

God I hope so. Royal blue/Canary yellow=amazing. Blue and white= boring.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If they Rams just removed the gold..

Obviously they can't per NFL Rules as you can't change the colors of the Jersey unless you totally redesign the uniform, but this would look so much better per Crazylegs off the Herd Board.

addon.php

addon.php

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Demoff has made comments in the past that make me worried that they aren't simply going blue and yellow come 2019 or 2020 (whenever it is they move into the new digs).

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Demoff has made comments in the past that make me worried that they aren't simply going blue and yellow come 2019 or 2020 (whenever it is they move into the new digs).

Where have you seen these comments???

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
They can't even think to change the color of the helmet to match the uniform??? Idiots!!!

That would go a long way.

And never wear that blue on blue again. It's Bengals level ugly.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Definitely the case. Look at the recent teams who have changed their uniforms, only Det could be described as simple.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Obviously they can't per NFL Rules as you can't change the colors of the Jersey unless you totally redesign the uniform, but this would look so much better per Crazylegs off the Herd Board.

addon.php

addon.php

I don't think they even have to remove the gold - just flip the white and gold on the numbers for the dark jerseys, and that uniform looks great. I like the current whites with the white-horned helmet.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes

addon.php

addon.php
They look pretty nice. Just kinda boring.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Where have you seen these comments???

On this very site coach. The following is from the 1st Q&A on here with KD:

It wouldn't be a chat without a uniform question! We are going to re-evaluate the uniform combinations and throwback options over the next year and may sit down with Nike to get their thoughts as well. We have a rich history and a lot of great options to consider. I personally love the old Blue and White uniforms as I have said on many occasions and our fans have fond memories of the Blue and Yellow. Maybe a new fresh look would be appropriate. Heck, I even like the Cleveland Ram uniforms as a throwback option. Stay tuned!

I realise it's an old quote but the reference to "a fresh new look" and the Cleveland era unis always made me think he was going to try something that was a bit out of left field.

As an aside, I wonder if he'll see the alert saying I've quoted his post?

Q729

Legend
While I do believe going back to the blue and yellow is the no-brainer/ easiest move and puts them back in the same timeless classic category of Colts, Raiders, Packers, Steelers, etc uniforms; greed will ultimately win out to force fans to buy items with the new branding. I will continue on with my Dickerson / Ellard jerseys.

Rocko

UDFA
addon.php

addon.php
[/QUOTE]

I have been flipping back and forth on my opinion with the colors they are wearing this year, with the gold throwing everything off for me, but looking at these pictures above, I would like to see the Rams wear the all white with blue trim for home, with the all dark blue with white trim as away uniforms until the new stadium opens. The pictures above look clean and crisp. I'm hoping the future uniform goes back to the royal blue with canary yellow, but, I'd like to see some white added to the color scheme. Add a partial outside small white line to the horns, bigger horns, make the helmet blue similar to the royal blue on the uniform, similar to my avatar without the white glare (I never understood the dark blue helmet with the uniforms being royal blue), and add some white to the home jersey, and the pants stay yellow with the two blue stripes on the outside and white in the middle.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Sorry but that navy blue and white looks fugly IMO. I don't want Colts blue but that dark navy has to go.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
On this very site coach. The following is from the 1st Q&A on here with KD:

I realise it's an old quote but the reference to "a fresh new look" and the Cleveland era unis always made me think he was going to try something that was a bit out of left field.

As an aside, I wonder if he'll see the alert saying I've quoted his post?

If you tape a nickel to it he'll see it.

While I do believe going back to the blue and yellow is the no-brainer/ easiest move and puts them back in the same timeless classic category of Colts, Raiders, Packers, Steelers, etc uniforms; greed will ultimately win out to force fans to buy items with the new branding. I will continue on with my Dickerson / Ellard jerseys.

That's correct, they will want an all new look to sell as much as possible.

Sorry but that navy blue and white looks fugly IMO. I don't want Colts blue but that dark navy has to go.

The dark blue is not the way to go, I agree with you it's bad. The royal blue is the look, the question is are they going to stay with it or go to something all new. I think they are going to use a combo of blue, white and yellow. I wonder if they can have two helmets...........

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I prefer the classic royal blue and yellow. The classic blue and white is kinda cool and I'd be okay with it.

What I don't want is some "modern" Nike bullshit redesign. You know, with neon yellow accents around the numbers and "Rams" written down the side of the pants. Something that 20 years later fans will laugh at and say "what were the thinking?"

Keep it classic, Demoff.

Or better yet, pay the fine and just wear the blue/yelow throwbacks for the rest of the season!