The Los Angeles Chargers: A Team Without A Home

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/...gers-stubhub-center-soccer-stadium-experience

The Football Team Without a Home
The Los Angeles Chargers are playing in a tiny soccer stadium in a city that doesn’t seem to want them. There’s no way they’ll be able to fill a full-size arena, but they’re already on the books to be shared residents with the Rams in 2020. Somehow, the best solution might be to just stay where they are
BY KEVIN CLARK

ChargersAtStubhub_Getty_Ringer.0.jpg

Getty Images/Ringer illustration

There was a moment in the first half of Sunday’s Browns-Chargers game when the home team gave out the new U2 album to a section of fans. (Yes, there’s a new U2 album.) The symbolism was so on-the-nose it barely seemed real. After spending years as the most popular musical act on the planet, the band became a punch line when they forced their way onto your iPhone. No one wanted them, but they gave consumers no choice. And now the team nobody asked for in the country’s most popular sport was giving out their new album.

I went to a Chargers game. This is my story.

Their games feel less like a sporting event and more like a meetup of all the people who knew the Chargers had moved to Los Angeles. Few things seem impermanent as they happen, but the Chargers playing three seasons in a 27,000-seat soccer stadium is destined for a “Today I Learned” thread on Reddit two decades from now. I will explain this trip to my grandkids, who will experience a secondary wave of confusion after getting past their initial confusion over the fact there used to be something other than esports.

An NFL team playing in a soccer stadium sounds like a gimmick, but it’s not that. George Foreman once boxed five fighters in an hour—that’s a gimmick. This is more of a misadventure, an earnest idea quickly gone south. Norman Mailer described Los Angeles as a “constellation of plastic”—meaning, everything is manufactured. That gets less true as the city as a whole grows, but in this very specific case of a football team, there’s not much of an argument.

On the day I attended and sat in the stands, 25,000 fans showed up—and a solid chunk of them, say 40 percent, was there to watch the Cleveland Browns. There were splashes of empty seats throughout the stadium. If the Chargers cannot fill a 27,000-seat stadium to the brim, how the hell will they fill the 70,000-seater they have coming in 2020?

The Chargers fans who were there were louder than you’d think, and this is not meant to besmirch them. StubHub is actually a remarkable place to see an NFL game, in the same way it’d be cool to see the Clippers play at your local YMCA. But “cool” isn’t anywhere near enough to salvage this entire experiment.

In the NFL, December is when questions get answered around the league. The regular season winds down and things become finite. Seahawks fans want to know how good their team can be despite key injuries to the secondary. Packers fans want to know when Aaron Rodgers is coming back. Bears fans are wondering why John Fox is still the coach. The Chargers are tied for first place in the AFC West, but the only thing I could think of was: What is the point of any of this?

Despite having a large fan base in San Diego which, at the very least, was aware the team played in the city, the Chargers left to chase L.A. revenues. After the initial relocation vote in 2016, local media reported that the Spanos family, which owns the team, was upset about the outcome—which allowed the Rams to move immediately, but forced the Chargers to take another year to decide.

Maybe moving with the Rams would’ve helped narrow the gap in fans, but at the moment, things do not look good. Upon the franchise moving at the beginning of the year, ESPN reported the NFL was “besides itself” about how badly the team handled the move and executives speculated that Spanos would soon want to return to San Diego, however remote that possibility was and still is. On cue, the Spanos family was reportedly shocked at the lack of fans at StubHub earlier this year.

There were plenty of warning signs: Some previous Chargers attempts to get into the Los Angeles market had floundered. The Los Angeles Times counted 24 fans at a training camp practice when the Chargers visited Carson in 2003. “We have 13 million people living in the area,” the Times joked. “But I had no idea the Chargers had that many fans here.”

Essentially, the Chargers knew what they were getting themselves into and did it anyway. This is the franchise equivalent of telling yourself you’re not going to lock your keys in your car and then immediately doing it anyway. To make matters even worse, since arriving in Los Angeles, the franchise’s television ratings have not been good, either.

There’s a lot of consternation about what the future of sports looks like and the conversation usually centers on boring changes. Will the sport be streamed on Facebook? Will the helmets look different? Will there be teams in Europe? Those things might be true, but the real future of sports is the process that led the Chargers into this debacle: irrational ideas engineered by people in boardrooms that make little sense on the surface and no sense upon execution.

Los Angeles bears little resemblance to what you see in the movies—namely because the movies often feature characters who appear in two separate parts of the city in the same week. In real life, this does not happen.

The city’s sprawl is one of the obstacles the Chargers face. Driving to Carson from most parts of Los Angeles is less like a normal drive and more like an Oregon Trail simulation: You have very little chance of getting where you need to go. But I hopped in my car and drove down anyway. With only 25,000 fans attending the game, parking wasn’t terrible.

On the walk in, I heard fans asking about where the tailgating was. (Apparently it’s in one lot, far away from the lot we parked in, and it’s both expensive to access and completely full anyway). I also observed a phenomenon I’d seen before only at Tampa Bay Rays games—groups of people in neutral jerseys, fans who were there to see football but were open about their allegiance to a different team. I saw Vikings jerseys, Patriots jerseys, and Raiders jerseys. The stadium looked like this at kickoff:

View: https://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ/status/937426803332866048?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theringer.com%2Fnfl%2F2017%2F12%2F5%2F16737714%2Flos-angeles-chargers-stubhub-center-soccer-stadium-experience

At kickoff, Dodgers third baseman Justin Turner appeared on the Jumbotron and told on-field interviewer LaDainian Tomlinson (what the hell, right?) that it was his bachelor party. He joked that there aren’t many people who can say they celebrated their bachelor party in front of 30,000 people. Of course, Turner can’t say that, either.

My fiancée, who once referred to a game program as a “playbill,” is not much of a sports fan. But her lack of familiarity often leads to valid observations. For instance, last year she noted that she had never, in our six years of dating, seen the Orlando Magic play well. Upon walking into the stands on Sunday, she joked that the atmosphere seemed like a very big high school game. She was barely joking—Texas high school football stadiums are only marginally smaller.

The one thing you learn in the stands is that like politics, all sports is local. Despite the NFL being a national behemoth, when you’re in Green Bay, everyone is wearing hunting gear, and it screams Wisconsin. At Cardinals games in Phoenix, everyone has a great tan. But there was no identity in Carson. Since Carson is south of Los Angeles, there was some South Bay vibe—that is to say, a lot of sandals and Pennywise songs. But overall, the dominant flavor seemed to be “people who purchased tickets to an NFL game.”

There’s a strange gloom that hangs over the Chargers’ stadium because there's typically a critical mass of visiting fans. When something bad happens to the Chargers and the visitors cheer, the Chargers fans boo in retaliation. This makes the mistakes seem so much worse. When kicker Travis Coons knocked a field goal off the upright to miss in the first half, Browns fans rejoiced and Chargers fans booed, but it sounded simply like Chargers fans were booing Coons mercilessly.

On Sunday, Browns fans proved to be more entertaining and organic than the Chargers fans. They at least had a sense of humor. One guy in my section had—I kid you not—a Timofey Mozgov Browns jersey.

With Browns fans doing a lot of the stand-filling, one shudders to think what will happen when the Chargers play a team from a city that doesn’t have a lot of transplants in L.A. That question will not be answered this year. The remainder of the home schedule features Washington and Oakland, and both of those fan bases can fill the building.

Next year, though, the team will host the Bengals, Ravens, Cardinals, and a top AFC South finisher such as the Jaguars or Titans. An empty football stadium isn’t unusual around the NFL, but an empty 27,000-seat soccer stadium would be new territory.

We’re less than a full season in, but it’s already really hard to see a successful future for the Chargers in Los Angeles. In fact, it’s even harder to picture them existing in a football-only stadium. So maybe the only way the Chargers can make this work is to be counterintuitive: never leave the StubHub Center. Become the accessible, small-stadium team, play there for a decade, and establish that identity.

There’s something charming about playing an NFL game in front of a Ring of Honor sign dedicated to Cobi Jones. They can’t do that, of course; they’ve already agreed to share the Rams’ stadium in Inglewood that’s coming in three years.

Their long-term destiny, then, seems to be like that of German soccer club 1860 Munich, who shared a 75,000-seat ground with the more popular Bayern Munich and whose disparity in popularity in the same stadium was glaring. They finally moved out this season, and their new stadium seats 12,500.

On Sunday, I kept thinking about a conversation I’d had a few years ago when reporting a story about how the in-home experience in the NFL had outflanked the in-stadium one. Essentially, there’s no reason to go to games anymore with RedZone, Sunday Ticket, Twitter, and a string of other on-demand amenities found within a few steps of your couch. An NFL executive told me the league still needed seats filled because nowadays stadiums are glorified TV studios—filled seats look good on television, and television and revenue is what matters.

The future of sports is bad ideas. The time humans spend watching TV is falling and with it comes a decline in the amount of people consuming sports, which still rely on traditional TV. No league relies more on traditional network TV than the NFL.

It’s going to get harder for the NFL to double its revenue in the next decade, which is its goal. That means more experimentation, more chasing revenue. More situations like this: The Chargers are in Los Angeles and they’ve saddled the city with unwanted football and U2 albums.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
That's what their owner deserves ! Stupid move by him and the nfl. I doubt our owner needs help funding the new stadium.

Funny thing is this team might win the afc west and has been playing really well lately .

Move them back to San Diego, LA wants the rams !

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Move them back to San Diego, LA wants the rams !

We have no evidence of that just yet.

Which probably has the NFL and Kroenke in a bit of an early panic. Interest is not great for the Rams and they are winning in awesome fashion. And the market doesn't care about the Chargers.

They probably wish the Raiders were the one with first right over the Chargers now and that the Chargers were going to Las Vegas.

Look at Levi Stadium. Beautiful state of the art place, everything shiny and new. Half empty and fans are trying to sell their PSL's for half of what they paid. Even people that BOUGHT tickets aren't showing up.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
We have no evidence of that just yet.

Which probably has the NFL and Kroenke in a bit of an early panic. Interest is not great for the Rams and they are winning in awesome fashion. And the market doesn't care about the Chargers.

They probably wish the Raiders were the one with first right over the Chargers now and that the Chargers were going to Las Vegas.

Look at Levi Stadium. Beautiful state of the art place, everything shiny and new. Half empty and fans are trying to sell their PSL's for half of what they paid. Even people that BOUGHT tickets aren't showing up.
Have you seen the 49ers play ? If I was a fan I would stay home too .

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/...gers-stubhub-center-soccer-stadium-experience

The Football Team Without a Home
The Los Angeles Chargers are playing in a tiny soccer stadium in a city that doesn’t seem to want them. There’s no way they’ll be able to fill a full-size arena, but they’re already on the books to be shared residents with the Rams in 2020. Somehow, the best solution might be to just stay where they are
BY KEVIN CLARK

ChargersAtStubhub_Getty_Ringer.0.jpg

Getty Images/Ringer illustration

There was a moment in the first half of Sunday’s Browns-Chargers game when the home team gave out the new U2 album to a section of fans. (Yes, there’s a new U2 album.) The symbolism was so on-the-nose it barely seemed real. After spending years as the most popular musical act on the planet, the band became a punch line when they forced their way onto your iPhone. No one wanted them, but they gave consumers no choice. And now the team nobody asked for in the country’s most popular sport was giving out their new album.

I went to a Chargers game. This is my story.

Their games feel less like a sporting event and more like a meetup of all the people who knew the Chargers had moved to Los Angeles. Few things seem impermanent as they happen, but the Chargers playing three seasons in a 27,000-seat soccer stadium is destined for a “Today I Learned” thread on Reddit two decades from now. I will explain this trip to my grandkids, who will experience a secondary wave of confusion after getting past their initial confusion over the fact there used to be something other than esports.

An NFL team playing in a soccer stadium sounds like a gimmick, but it’s not that. George Foreman once boxed five fighters in an hour—that’s a gimmick. This is more of a misadventure, an earnest idea quickly gone south. Norman Mailer described Los Angeles as a “constellation of plastic”—meaning, everything is manufactured. That gets less true as the city as a whole grows, but in this very specific case of a football team, there’s not much of an argument.

On the day I attended and sat in the stands, 25,000 fans showed up—and a solid chunk of them, say 40 percent, was there to watch the Cleveland Browns. There were splashes of empty seats throughout the stadium. If the Chargers cannot fill a 27,000-seat stadium to the brim, how the hell will they fill the 70,000-seater they have coming in 2020?

The Chargers fans who were there were louder than you’d think, and this is not meant to besmirch them. StubHub is actually a remarkable place to see an NFL game, in the same way it’d be cool to see the Clippers play at your local YMCA. But “cool” isn’t anywhere near enough to salvage this entire experiment.

In the NFL, December is when questions get answered around the league. The regular season winds down and things become finite. Seahawks fans want to know how good their team can be despite key injuries to the secondary. Packers fans want to know when Aaron Rodgers is coming back. Bears fans are wondering why John Fox is still the coach. The Chargers are tied for first place in the AFC West, but the only thing I could think of was: What is the point of any of this?

Despite having a large fan base in San Diego which, at the very least, was aware the team played in the city, the Chargers left to chase L.A. revenues. After the initial relocation vote in 2016, local media reported that the Spanos family, which owns the team, was upset about the outcome—which allowed the Rams to move immediately, but forced the Chargers to take another year to decide.

Maybe moving with the Rams would’ve helped narrow the gap in fans, but at the moment, things do not look good. Upon the franchise moving at the beginning of the year, ESPN reported the NFL was “besides itself” about how badly the team handled the move and executives speculated that Spanos would soon want to return to San Diego, however remote that possibility was and still is. On cue, the Spanos family was reportedly shocked at the lack of fans at StubHub earlier this year.

There were plenty of warning signs: Some previous Chargers attempts to get into the Los Angeles market had floundered. The Los Angeles Times counted 24 fans at a training camp practice when the Chargers visited Carson in 2003. “We have 13 million people living in the area,” the Times joked. “But I had no idea the Chargers had that many fans here.”

Essentially, the Chargers knew what they were getting themselves into and did it anyway. This is the franchise equivalent of telling yourself you’re not going to lock your keys in your car and then immediately doing it anyway. To make matters even worse, since arriving in Los Angeles, the franchise’s television ratings have not been good, either.

There’s a lot of consternation about what the future of sports looks like and the conversation usually centers on boring changes. Will the sport be streamed on Facebook? Will the helmets look different? Will there be teams in Europe? Those things might be true, but the real future of sports is the process that led the Chargers into this debacle: irrational ideas engineered by people in boardrooms that make little sense on the surface and no sense upon execution.

Los Angeles bears little resemblance to what you see in the movies—namely because the movies often feature characters who appear in two separate parts of the city in the same week. In real life, this does not happen.

The city’s sprawl is one of the obstacles the Chargers face. Driving to Carson from most parts of Los Angeles is less like a normal drive and more like an Oregon Trail simulation: You have very little chance of getting where you need to go. But I hopped in my car and drove down anyway. With only 25,000 fans attending the game, parking wasn’t terrible.

On the walk in, I heard fans asking about where the tailgating was. (Apparently it’s in one lot, far away from the lot we parked in, and it’s both expensive to access and completely full anyway). I also observed a phenomenon I’d seen before only at Tampa Bay Rays games—groups of people in neutral jerseys, fans who were there to see football but were open about their allegiance to a different team. I saw Vikings jerseys, Patriots jerseys, and Raiders jerseys. The stadium looked like this at kickoff:

View: https://twitter.com/NateUlrichABJ/status/937426803332866048?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theringer.com%2Fnfl%2F2017%2F12%2F5%2F16737714%2Flos-angeles-chargers-stubhub-center-soccer-stadium-experience

At kickoff, Dodgers third baseman Justin Turner appeared on the Jumbotron and told on-field interviewer LaDainian Tomlinson (what the hell, right?) that it was his bachelor party. He joked that there aren’t many people who can say they celebrated their bachelor party in front of 30,000 people. Of course, Turner can’t say that, either.

My fiancée, who once referred to a game program as a “playbill,” is not much of a sports fan. But her lack of familiarity often leads to valid observations. For instance, last year she noted that she had never, in our six years of dating, seen the Orlando Magic play well. Upon walking into the stands on Sunday, she joked that the atmosphere seemed like a very big high school game. She was barely joking—Texas high school football stadiums are only marginally smaller.

The one thing you learn in the stands is that like politics, all sports is local. Despite the NFL being a national behemoth, when you’re in Green Bay, everyone is wearing hunting gear, and it screams Wisconsin. At Cardinals games in Phoenix, everyone has a great tan. But there was no identity in Carson. Since Carson is south of Los Angeles, there was some South Bay vibe—that is to say, a lot of sandals and Pennywise songs. But overall, the dominant flavor seemed to be “people who purchased tickets to an NFL game.”

There’s a strange gloom that hangs over the Chargers’ stadium because there's typically a critical mass of visiting fans. When something bad happens to the Chargers and the visitors cheer, the Chargers fans boo in retaliation. This makes the mistakes seem so much worse. When kicker Travis Coons knocked a field goal off the upright to miss in the first half, Browns fans rejoiced and Chargers fans booed, but it sounded simply like Chargers fans were booing Coons mercilessly.

On Sunday, Browns fans proved to be more entertaining and organic than the Chargers fans. They at least had a sense of humor. One guy in my section had—I kid you not—a Timofey Mozgov Browns jersey.

With Browns fans doing a lot of the stand-filling, one shudders to think what will happen when the Chargers play a team from a city that doesn’t have a lot of transplants in L.A. That question will not be answered this year. The remainder of the home schedule features Washington and Oakland, and both of those fan bases can fill the building.

Next year, though, the team will host the Bengals, Ravens, Cardinals, and a top AFC South finisher such as the Jaguars or Titans. An empty football stadium isn’t unusual around the NFL, but an empty 27,000-seat soccer stadium would be new territory.

We’re less than a full season in, but it’s already really hard to see a successful future for the Chargers in Los Angeles. In fact, it’s even harder to picture them existing in a football-only stadium. So maybe the only way the Chargers can make this work is to be counterintuitive: never leave the StubHub Center. Become the accessible, small-stadium team, play there for a decade, and establish that identity.

There’s something charming about playing an NFL game in front of a Ring of Honor sign dedicated to Cobi Jones. They can’t do that, of course; they’ve already agreed to share the Rams’ stadium in Inglewood that’s coming in three years.

Their long-term destiny, then, seems to be like that of German soccer club 1860 Munich, who shared a 75,000-seat ground with the more popular Bayern Munich and whose disparity in popularity in the same stadium was glaring. They finally moved out this season, and their new stadium seats 12,500.

On Sunday, I kept thinking about a conversation I’d had a few years ago when reporting a story about how the in-home experience in the NFL had outflanked the in-stadium one. Essentially, there’s no reason to go to games anymore with RedZone, Sunday Ticket, Twitter, and a string of other on-demand amenities found within a few steps of your couch. An NFL executive told me the league still needed seats filled because nowadays stadiums are glorified TV studios—filled seats look good on television, and television and revenue is what matters.

The future of sports is bad ideas. The time humans spend watching TV is falling and with it comes a decline in the amount of people consuming sports, which still rely on traditional TV. No league relies more on traditional network TV than the NFL.

It’s going to get harder for the NFL to double its revenue in the next decade, which is its goal. That means more experimentation, more chasing revenue. More situations like this: The Chargers are in Los Angeles and they’ve saddled the city with unwanted football and U2 albums.

And yet, I am watching NFL live right now and they went to break talking about "Have the Chargers already won the battle for LA?" W in the everloving F is wring with BSPN???

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Spanos really should have made it work in San Dog. Even after he signed the letter with Stan for the new stadium he should have played out their games over the next couple seasons down there where they have a better fan base just for ticket values alone. Attendance would have dipped, but they have a very good fan base down there that would have outperformed the BS situation they're in now.

Spanos is just an idiot IMO. Feel sorry for the Bolts fans, as having an idiot owner just ends up trickling down even when things start to go right. We know that well from the Georgia days, I mean our STL brothers tend to see her in a better light than us LA fans but the truth was that even when they got it right with Vermiel they let a potential window close much quicker than it should have.

So damn glad that our team has Kroenke now. I realize some of you are still pi$$ed at him, but the dude at least has put his primary focus into this team and has aligned everything the right way.

Psycho_X

Legend
We know that well from the Georgia days, I mean our STL brothers tend to see her in a better light than us LA fans but the truth was that even when they got it right with Vermiel they let a potential window close much quicker than it should have.

So damn glad that our team has Kroenke now. I realize some of you are still pi$$ed at him, but the dude at least has put his primary focus into this team and has aligned everything the right way.

I think anyone who ever heard Georgia talk knew she was a first class moron. I'm thankful for her letting me watch my team in person for 20 years but she was what she was. Add in Shaw who seemed like the sleaziest backstabbing lawyer money could buy and I was never a huge fan of our ownership and front office over the years with the exception of Charley Armey. I thought Stan was different but he's more of the same. It didn't bug me through the St. Louis years so I guess I shouldn't let it bother me now. At this point all I care about is watching football. I am kind of pissed I lost watching my team so they could move some where that doesn't appreciate having them yet just so Stan could have MORE money. But as long as they keep winning and stay competitive I'll stay on the happy side of life. I would be thrilled if their new stadium is packed and loud come 2020 to give a home field advantage like the Vikings have or like the Rams had at the Ed dome during GSOT days. I want the team to succeed and a good home crowd is always important for that.

Back to the Chargers though, could you imagine them having a home playoff game this year? It's a long shot currently but they have a chance to have one. Imagine an empty playoff game stadium or one where the home team has no fans in attendance. What an embarrassment that'd be for the NFL. Just add to the string of embarrassments the league has made lately.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Back to the Chargers though, could you imagine them having a home playoff game this year? It's a long shot currently but they have a chance to have one. Imagine an empty playoff game stadium or one where the home team has no fans in attendance. What an embarrassment that'd be for the NFL. Just add to the string of embarrassments the league has made lately.

I swear the league has told camera crews not to pan the stadium they are working in unless it's full.

The holes in the crowd are bigger than the paid attendance figures. They have a problem and they need to address it.

If it happens in the playoffs it'll be a news story.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
The only difference between Stan and Georgia is how much money is/was in their bank accounts.

They both could learn a lot in how to build a brand.

Let us not forget that Stan insisted the Rams move from LA before he dropped his 40 million investment into the Rams.

JackKirbyFan

Rookie
When the Rams won Super Bowl XXXIV, do y'all remember what Georgia said when she mounted the podium and Vermiel passed the Lombardi trophy to her? "This proves we did the right thing by moving to St. Louis." That didn't sit too well with Ram fans here in SoCal. I know, She later apologized. Just like some of our politicians "later apologize."

Me and some friends always remained loyal Ram fans though. BTW. I don't know John and his wife Laurie very well but I t sat in their suite in St. Louis and once in Oakland when the Rams played there back in 2011. And Laurie gave us 40-yard line seats to a game at Candlestick in 1999. So the Shaws are really quite generous. Another time I'll tell y'all how this came to be for I'm just an average middle-class American.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Every Charger fan I have known hates the Spanos family and how they have tried to manipulate the city of SD and its fans. They are notorious weasels and welfare mamas. The dad made his money by prying sweetheart deals out of idiot politicians and they have used that model in operating the Chargers. This time, even though the city of SD agreed to pony up what should have kept them there, they decided to go cheap and play in a soccer stadium in a city that considers them a semi-pro team, and then go be Stan’s bitch in the new venue rather than venturing any of their own revenues. For my friends that are SD Chargers fans, I hope they lose their asses and are forced to sell.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I swear the league has told camera crews not to pan the stadium they are working in unless it's full.

The holes in the crowd are bigger than the paid attendance figures. They have a problem and they need to address it.

If it happens in the playoffs it'll be a news story.

I don't think it will, just because rich fairweathers and opposing team fans will pack it out in the playoffs....

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't think it will, just because rich fairweathers and opposing team fans will pack it out in the playoffs....

Yeah I'd have to think they pack it in during the playoffs, since the fair weathered types probably include the ones with the money to pay for 2x priced tickets for a family or even couple. The model at large though pretty much excludes blue collar types, who are the ones that are the rabid fans for the most part and who know when to make noise and a hostile environment. Instead they're stuck with golf clappers drinking chardonnay in the stands like we see with the 9ers. That's a problem IMO.

The bigger problem for the Chargers, though, is their QB is old as F. Said this last year, that they should be worried about their future five years not right now. But when you look at their roster moves it's all about squeezing wins now to "win the battle for LA" instead of realizing the battle is going to take place over a lot of years which is going to require a QB.

If you compare the two teams, the Rams have a young QB in place and a young roster around him on offense (2nd youngest roster in NFL), and the LAC have an aging QB who is inconsistent, and the fourth oldest roster in the league. Take a look out a few years to that opening of the new stadium, and it's not hard to see where the chips are gonna fall.

IMO Spanos team has a crash coming at some point in the next 2-3 seasons when Rivers hangs em up. That's gonna be a situation where the HC and staff probably get cleaned out too and most likely a rebuild while the new QB comes online. Lot of ugliness ahead for the LAC as far as I can see.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I'd have to think they pack it in during the playoffs, since the fair weathered types probably include the ones with the money to pay for 2x priced tickets for a family or even couple. The model at large though pretty much excludes blue collar types, who are the ones that are the rabid fans for the most part and who know when to make noise and a hostile environment. Instead they're stuck with golf clappers drinking chardonnay in the stands like we see with the 9ers. That's a problem IMO.

The bigger problem for the Chargers, though, is their QB is old as F. Said this last year, that they should be worried about their future five years not right now. But when you look at their roster moves it's all about squeezing wins now to "win the battle for LA" instead of realizing the battle is going to take place over a lot of years which is going to require a QB.

If you compare the two teams, the Rams have a young QB in place and a young roster around him on offense (2nd youngest roster in NFL), and the LAC have an aging QB who is inconsistent, and the fourth oldest roster in the league. Take a look out a few years to that opening of the new stadium, and it's not hard to see where the chips are gonna fall.

IMO Spanos team has a crash coming at some point in the next 2-3 seasons when Rivers hangs em up. That's gonna be a situation where the HC and staff probably get cleaned out too and most likely a rebuild while the new QB comes online. Lot of ugliness ahead for the LAC as far as I can see.

No sympathy for Spanos' Chargers..I hope they fail spectacularly, and have to move out LA...I don't care where, as long as it's out of LA.