the long torturous history of Sam's ankle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

I wondered about this cause of the "it's still sore" issue. So I read up on it and...I was real surprised how back and forth, up and down, day by day it all was.

Sun Oct 16, 2011
Nick Wagoner

At the top of the concern list is Bradford, who injured his left ankle when he was sacked on the offense's final play from scrimmage.

The X rays on the ankle were negative and Bradford said he'll be OK but coach Steve Spagnuolo wanted to be more cautious with the situation.

Mon Oct 17, 2011
By Nick Wagoner

Rams quarterback Sam Bradford is wearing a boot on his left foot after suffering a high ankle sprain in the closing moments of Sunday's game against Green Bay.

Coach Steve Spagnuolo said Monday that Bradford's injury will make him questionable this week and probably keep him out of a good amount of this week's practices.

That doesn't mean Bradford will be unavailable when the Rams take on the Cowboys on Sunday in Dallas. But it does mean the Rams will have to get backup A.J. Feeley up to speed.

October 17, 2011
General Manager Billy Devaney:

It is a high ankle sprain. It will be day-to-day. There's no question that his work will be limited this week. I'm not sure how I would define limited right now, but I'll know a little bit more on Wednesday. He is in a boot, so when you see him walking around, they're restricting any movement there. Those can go in a lot of different directions, so we'll where we are at the end of the week.

Tue Oct 18, 2011
JT Chat

But the problem now (for Dallas) is will Bradford play with his high ankle sprain and how effective will he be if he plays.

nickwagoner on October 19, 2011

Rams QB Sam Bradford did not practice Wednesday as he continues to nurse a high sprain in his left ankle. He did not even step onto the practice field and was spending the time attempting to recover. Coach Steve Spagnuolo offered no clues on Bradford's status for this week other than to say that he won't venture a guess at Bradford's ankle because of the nature of the injury.

Oct 22, 2011
Nick Wagoner

A.J. Feeley has taken the bulk of the reps in practice this week as Sam Bradford nurses a high sprain in his left ankle. Bradford says he expects to play and it would probably take a lot to keep him out but if he does play, it stands to reason he wouldn't be as mobile as usual.

Wagoner
Oct 23, 2011

QB Sam Bradford will not be available today because of a sprained left ankle. He tested it on Friday but the Rams didn’t want to risk making it worse.

Howard Balzer
October 24

Unknown is whether quarterback Sam Bradford will be able to play after missing Sunday's game because of a high ankle sprain. It seems unlikely after Spagnuolo said Bradford "was really sore" after doing some pass drops and other things Friday with trainer Reggie Scott and said a "firmer cast" was put on his foot. He added, "At some point he'll go back to doing the other rehab. I don't know what day it will be that he'll try to do some things again."

Howard Balzer
October 26,

quarterback A.J. Feeley practiced with the first unit with Sam Bradford still sidelined by a high ankle sprain. Bradford did say "the general soreness" in his ankle "has definitely gone down compared to last week at this time.

Wagoner
Thu Oct 27, 2011

No changes with QB Sam Bradford and his sprained left ankle. It still
doesn't look likely he'll play this week.

By Mike Sando
October, 30, 2011

This outcome gives them hope for a strong finish to the season, particularly once quarterback Sam Bradford returns from a high-ankle sprain

Spagnuolo
Oct 31, 2011

(On if Bradford is out of the boot) “Yes. He’s no longer in the boot, so he’s getting there. But this thing is a…these high ankle sprains, you never know.”

Nick Wagoner
Nov 1, 2011

Spagnuolo said Monday that Bradford's making progress in his recovery from a sprained left ankle and it's possible he could get some work in practice this week.

He did some strengthening exercises this morning with (head athletic trainer) Reggie (Scott) so he's moving around a little bit, as Spagnuolo said. "I don't know that we'll get him on Wednesday but we'll slowly work him in there. He's about the same right now. He'll be day to day and we'll see where we are after Wednesday.

Jim Thomas Live
Tuesday, November 1, 2011

I doubt a "high ankle" sprain would have kept Favre from playing.

Jim Thomas: I think if Spags and the training/medical staff thought Bradford was healthy, he would've played against the Saints.

Spagnuolo
November 4, 2011

(On if Bradford had any soreness in his ankle today)
"No. And he didn't do much yesterday, but he came in and he said, and that was kind of the step-by-step deal, and since he was OK with what little amount we did yesterday, we let him do a little bit more."

JIM THOMAS
November 5, 2011 12:10 am

Bradford and his high ankle sprain might be the textbook definition of "game-day decision."

For the first time since suffering the injury to his left ankle Oct. 16, Bradford took part in a full practice. Yes, on Thursday, he did some throwing during individual drills at Rams Park but then shut it down. But on Friday, he was out there during installation periods and took part in seven-on-seven periods and 11-on-11 (or "team") work against scout team defenses. . . .The first step is to see how Bradford's ankle feels this morning after his most extensive work since the injury occurred. Is it sore? Is there swelling? "Take it one day at a time and see where we're at on Sunday," Spagnuolo said.

Wagoner
Sun Nov 6, 2011

The big news here is on Rams QB Sam Bradford, who it looks like will get the start today as he continues to recover from a high sprain in his left ankle. It's been exactly three weeks since the injury and Bradford didn't do much of anything until this week but it got better as the week went on and he will wear a thin brace today.

Because it's his left ankle, Bradford is in better shape. He doesn’t have
to plant with that leg which makes the sprained ankle less of a deterrent from playing.

Nick Wagoner
Nov 6, 2011

"I thought (head athletic trainer) Reggie (Scott) and the staff did a really
good job this week and all the weeks he has been hurt, how we went step by step and when Sam cleared each hurdle, we said "OK, there's a chance," Spagnuolo said. "Even yesterday when we did the mock game, which is just a walk through, that was another hurdle and he cleared it. Then this morning we felt like he could do it."

By the time Bradford had gone through the team's Saturday walkthrough, he was pretty much cleared to go.

JIM THOMAS
November 7, 2011

After getting through a Friday practice and a Saturday walk-through with no ill effects on his left ankle, there was no doubt in quarterback Sam Bradford's mind that he would be playing Sunday against Arizona.

"This morning I woke up, it felt great," Bradford said following Sunday's 19-13 overtime loss

KATHLEEN NELSON
November 7, 2011

Coach Steve Spagnuolo said Bradford's participation in practice Wednesday would depend on how the left ankle responds to treatment.

KATHLEEN NELSON
Wednesday, November 9, 2011

"The ankle feels good, probably better than I was expecting after the game," said Bradford, who was out of the walking boot.

JIM THOMAS
Monday, November 14, 2011

Two plays after Saffold suffered his head injury in the third quarter, it looked as if quarterback Sam Bradford aggravated his left ankle injury while getting tackled by Browns defensive lineman Ahtyba Rubin. Bradford limped off and was replaced by A.J. Feeley. But it turned out to be a false alarm and Bradford was back on the field one play later.

"I got hit in the thigh, just a little bit of a dead leg," Bradford said. "But after I got up and walked it off, I was fine."

Mike Sando
November, 17, 2011

The ankle is probably going to affect him for the remainder of the season. However, the injury is to his left ankle. He plants on his right ankle when throwing. That means Bradford should be able to make the
necessary throws unless there are additional undisclosed injuries affecting his play.

KATHLEEN NELSON
November 28, 2011

Rams quarterback Sam Bradford tweaked his ankle Sunday but is expected to be ready for the Rams' game versus the 49ers in San Francisco.

Bradford suffered a high ankle sprain Oct. 16 and missed two games, but coach Steve Spagnuolo said Monday, "I think we're going to be OK there."

JIM THOMAS
December 2, 2011

Another day, another new injury twist at Rams Park. After being limited in
Wednesday's practice because of soreness in his left ankle, quarterback Sam Bradford was held out of practice entirely Thursday.

nickwagoner
December 2, 2011

The Rams just wrapped up their work week with a Friday practice and, for the most part, were again without starting QB Sam Bradford and DE Chris Long because of ankle injuries. Both will be questionable for Sunday's game at San Francisco.

Bradford participated in walk through but didn't do much of anything else and Spagnuolo called him "very limited" after practice.

It figures to be a possible gametime decision for Bradford again this week depending on how he improves over the next two days.

Nick Wagoner
Mon Dec 5, 201

With quarterback Sam Bradford a pregame inactive because of lingering left ankle issues, A.J. Feeley made the start behind an offensive line that's been revamped in the past two weeks because of season ending injuries to tackles Rodger Saffold and Jason Smith.

Anonymous

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jim Thomas Live
Tuesday, November 1, 2011

I doubt a "high ankle" sprain would have kept Favre from playing.

Jim Thomas: I think if Spags and the training/medical staff thought Bradford was healthy, he would've played against the Saints.

Just noting the question in this JT Live bit.

There's always someone, isn't there.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
This whole ankle thing is puzzling to me. I mean I turned my ankle about 6 months ago and it is still sore a little that I notice it from time to time but I'm old. When I was Sam's age and wrenched an ankle pretty bad, I'd be off it for about a week, hobble around on it a couple of weeks, grin and bear it walking around on it a couple of weeks and then gut the pain and start playing on it again, a couple of weeks later it was a memory. So about 7 weeks and I was good. Granted I wasn't carrying 230 pounds around on it but I would stress it plenty. I just guess it wasn't a "high ankle sprain" which obviously takes a year to get over?

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Ramhusker said:
This whole ankle thing is puzzling to me. I mean I turned my ankle about 6 months ago and it is still sore a little that I notice it from time to time but I'm old. When I was Sam's age and wrenched an ankle pretty bad, I'd be off it for about a week, hobble around on it a couple of weeks, grin and bear it walking around on it a couple of weeks and then gut the pain and start playing on it again, a couple of weeks later it was a memory. So about 7 weeks and I was good. Granted I wasn't carrying 230 pounds around on it but I would stress it plenty. I just guess it wasn't a "high ankle sprain" which obviously takes a year to get over?
Back in my early 20's, I had an ankle sprain that just wouldn't go away. I was playing softball on a company team and stepped in a gopher hole and I had that sucker for several months. Back then, I wouldn't have known the difference between a high or low ankle injury, but I do remember having repeated set backs over the months. I was playing on it, and I'd pretty much forget about it once the game started unless I tweaked it.

Is Bradford's ankle still not 100%?

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I think it is in our best interest to stop talking about Sam's perfectly healthy ankle. :ww:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Selassie I said:
I think it is in our best interest to stop talking about Sam's perfectly healthy ankle. :ww:
Touche.

(Though I did respond to Husker's question :razzed: )

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Wait, What? It's all Zn's fault!!! :omg:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Ram Quixote said:
Ramhusker said:
Back in my early 20's, I had an ankle sprain that just wouldn't go away. I was playing softball on a company team and stepped in a gopher hole and I had that sucker for several months. Back then, I wouldn't have known the difference between a high or low ankle injury, but I do remember having repeated set backs over the months. I was playing on it, and I'd pretty much forget about it once the game started unless I tweaked it.

I had an ankle injury (spiral fracture) that lasted 6 months and one (torn ligaments) that lasted a year. The one that lasted a year, interestingly got better after I re-injured it playing basketball and coming down on a guys foot. I think the ligaments had healed too tight, or wrong.

With modern science, training, and every aid and resource to your disposal, it seems as if Sam's ankle would have been better by now.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
DR RAM said:
Ram Quixote said:
Ramhusker said:

I had an ankle injury (spiral fracture) that lasted 6 months and one (torn ligaments) that lasted a year. The one that lasted a year, interestingly got better after I re-injured it playing basketball and coming down on a guys foot. I think the ligaments had healed too tight, or wrong.

With modern science, training, and every aid and resource to your disposal, it seems as if Sam's ankle would have been better by now.
I think it should, and I also think AFTER Bradford got medical advice from someone who HE paid instead of a team Dr. he got advice that was markedly different than the "team guy",nothing new, every Dr. I know has "attitudes" and it'd take a perfect human to be unaffected by WHO pays them.

I attribute a significant portion of Sams slowed healing to him playing to save his coaches job last year when there was nothing BUT that to "gain". AND BTW I don't at ALL discount the idea that it was part of why Sam WANTED to play JMO now I'll shut up.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
DR RAM said:
Ram Quixote said:
Ramhusker said:

That's what I was getting at Doc. Back in the day, all I had was a bag of ice.