The Free safety battle that never was

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who do you want to man the FS position?

• Total voters

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
The Free safety battle that never was
227364_ccf18ad4508d4e9099e2f9ec92cdd81d~mv2.jpg

http://www.downtownrams.com/single-post/2016/08/07/The-Free-safety-battle-that-never-was

August 7, 2016 | By: Jake Ellenbogen

We are less than a week away from week one of preseason. The Los Angeles Rams will play the Dallas Cowboys on ESPN next Saturday.

In that game we already know who will be alongside T.J. McDonald, his name is Maurice Alexander and he looks to have completely won the coaching staff over. Alexander has seemingly gone into camp as a natural strong safety and worked hard enough to play free safety. Cody Davis was penciled in as the starter after the departure of last year's starter Rodney McLeod but to no avail he has been unable to keep the lead on Alexander.

The 25-year old is having a great offseason and his coach Gregg Williams loves him. How much does he love him? Well I mean to compare him to a player like former Redskins safety Sean Taylor is a start. Alexander has been spotted and it appears as though he received all first-team reps Saturday at the Coliseum, according to Eddie Perez of Turf Show Times.

"S Maurice Alexander in with the first team on all reps I saw. Cody Davis & Christian Bryant with the twos."

Now just because Alexander is the starter in camp doesn't mean he will start week one but its a very good sign. Now it's almost time to go into exhibition games and prove that he should be the starter. That could be a tougher task than most think.

Davis has really put on a show during the preseason in the past, Bryant had some playing time in the regular season last year, UDFA's Brian Randolph, Jordan Lomax and Rohan Gaines are all the guys no one is talking about, which could mean they come out of nowhere and perform well in preseason and lastly the Rams did just former Chief Jordan Kovacs who could compete for playing time and has 28 regular season games under his belt.

As a fourth-round pick in 2014, Alexander hasn't played a ton on defense but he did come in last year and show flashes when in relief for T.J. McDonald who was sidelined with an injury. Alexander is physically imposing standing at 6-foot-1 220 pounds he has the ideal size to be a starting safety in the NFL.

Alexander has only played two seasons and has 43 tackles, two sacks, one forced fumble, a pass breakup and two stuffs. He is finally approaching his time to be the guy the Rams drafted him to be. After a long road from being a janitor in St. Louis for the Rams to being drafted and moving to Los Angeles with them, it looks as though it's all coming full circle for Alexander.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
May the best man win! That said I've kind of been in the corner of Randolph this off season. I like the game play I've seen from him and each year I usually pick a dark horse and pull for them to make the team/ win a starting spot.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
May the best man win! That said I've kind of been in the corner of Randolph this off season. I like the game play I've seen from him and each year I usually pick a dark horse and pull for them to make the team/ win a starting spot.

You guys are laughable . How anyone makes that comparison , & NFL scouts don't even draft him after having all the film you have seen & more.

HellRam

Starter
When the Rams showed little interest in retaining Mcleod, I took it as they had a in house option they were strongly considering.

Considering they used a 4th on Mo it made sense he's been in Fishers plan's all along. Many fan's originally were not that high on Alexander playing FS...but the concept of having one of the most big, physical and athletic secondary's in the NFL is definitely becoming more popular. Alexander fits the FS mold and plays with tremendous range, he is built like a SS but no doubt can he play deep. I'm expecting some rough moment's this season but Mo will get their.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm a huge Randolph fan and I actually will be interviewing him down the road...

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
When the Rams showed little interest in retaining Mcleod, I took it as they had a in house option they were strongly considering.

Considering they used a 4th on Mo it made sense he's been in Fishers plan's all along. Many fan's originally were not that high on Alexander playing FS...but the concept of having one of the most big, physical and athletic secondary's in the NFL is definitely becoming more popular. Alexander fits the FS mold and plays with tremendous range, he is built like a SS but no doubt can he play deep. I'm expecting some rough moment's this season but Mo will get their.
Crazy thing is as soon as McLeod left I wanted Davis because his size and speed combination and he has nice ball skills but I am starting to think maybe Alexander has legit upside and the Rams did know it all along...Who knows

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
You guys are laughable . How anyone makes that comparison , & NFL scouts don't even draft him after having all the film you have seen & more.
I think Alexander compares to Rahim Moore that was Gregg Williams that compared him to Sean Taylor not me

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Hello. Rodney mcleod. Nfl scouts aren't perfect talent evaluators.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thank you for the insult :D Also for the record I never made a comparison in what you quoted. I will say though that scouts are wrong as much as they're right. Ironic that you say a UDFA can't start at FS when the guy he'll be replacing was a UDFA who just signed a contract that made him the 9th highest paid FS by yearly average in the NFL.

I don't usually give a damn what scouts say. And FYI there are 15 UDFA in the hall of fame so clearly scouts no everything. Not sure what your beef is but by all means keep it up. You're good for a laugh with your superiority complex.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Jake- your a Ramdolph guy as well.

-- Goid article, but then you sort of drift off the heading.You need to get it straight .
MinAlexander is going to be the starter unless he gets injured. There is know one on The Rams that will even give him competition. This guy has a chance to be a star.
Ram fans talk about The Rams not drafting Bobby Wagner. This guy came from Utah St. as well, and will represent in a excellent manner.
--Williams talks about when Mo came into the league,& in meets thought coaches were speaking a foreign language.
Now as Williams says he is talking and barking out signals. If you were to go to a practice you would see it. I noticed it right away, & then saw his leadership when he came up and popped a rookie to end 11 on 11 when first team D' was going against 3rd team offense.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think Alexander compares to Rahim Moore that was Gregg Williams that compared him to Sean Taylor not me

The guy from UCLA ??
--- Mark Barron is more like a Sean Taylor.Didn't Taylor play more SS ?

--Mo is just a big for the position v's Barron small for his. The fact is The Rams are going to be the fastest defense in the NFL. Williams basically stats that.

HellRam

Starter
Crazy thing is as soon as McLeod left I wanted Davis because his size and speed combination and he has nice ball skills but I am starting to think maybe Alexander has legit upside and the Rams did know it all along...Who knows

What kind of gave it away to me the Rams liked Alexander at FS was the Rams interest in Whitner. I figured Whitner would be back up SS then you consider the McDonald suspension, a Whitner signing would make sense. Whitner would also fill in Barrons old role or something similar too. Now it doesn't appear McDonald is getting suspended, which is also the reason the Rams probably held up from signing Whitner.

I also thought C. Bryant was a good consideration as well. As for Davis I don't necessarily have a strong opinion for either way, he look's the part physically that I can see. Just doesn't appear the Rams seem to serious about trying Cody at FS long term. Hey he might be getting the Davis treatment(Austin Davis). Fisher doesn't trust Davis's.

Last edited:

TexasRam

Legend
Mo scares me. I don't think he has the instincts or cover ability to play a FS type of role.

But I do like the way he lays the wood.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
What kind of gave it away to me the Rams liked Alexander at FS was the Rams interest in Whitner. I figured Whitner would be back up SS then you consider the McDonald suspension, a Whitner signing would make sense. Whitner would also fill in Barrons old role or something similar too. Now it doesn't appear McDonald is getting suspended, which is also the reason the Rams probably held up from signing Whitner.

I also thought C. Bryant was a good consideration as well. As for Davis I don't necessarily have a strong opinion for either way, he look's the part physically that I can see. Just doesn't appear the Rams seem to serious about trying Cody at FS long term. Hey he might be getting the Davis treatment(Austin Davis). Fisher doesn't trust Davis's.
makes a lot of sense and I love how you fit that in there with Austin Davis haha

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hello. Rodney mcleod. Nfl scouts aren't perfect talent evaluators.

No doubt , but it took him awhile & there was no MO starting ahead of him. Bryant will make the team way ahead of Randolph as well.

--Don't forget Bennie as well. The Rams have had some good finds.
Malcolm Brown, & I Really like Aaron Green who will make it ahead of Randoloh.
Cody Davis ?? Will make it ahead of Randoloh.June 16 turfshiwnhasna nice article about him.
Nick Grisgby is playing better than him on special teams.
Cory Harkey who is a team leader
Bradley Marquez -- special teams ahead of him.
--Ethan Westbrooke who The Rams paid extra to sign him.
--Marcus Roberson who is a solid CB
--Darrell Williams who came out of nowhere
--- All pro Johnny Hekker

--There was a UDFA Dainles
Thank you for the insult :D Also for the record I never made a comparison in what you quoted. I will say though that scouts are wrong as much as they're right. Ironic that you say a UDFA can't start at FS when the guy he'll be replacing was a UDFA who just signed a contract that made him the 9th highest paid FS by yearly average in the NFL.

I don't usually give a damn what scouts say. And FYI there are 15 UDFA in the hall of fame so clearly scouts no everything. Not sure what your beef is but by all means keep it up. You're good for a laugh with your superiority complex.

That is fine,but your basing your opinion off of a high light. I actually would have drafted him for his hair .
--I guess you really have not watched to many Rams games and seen Mo Alexander's improvement ? The proof is when the D/C always talks so highly of a player. Now he is in the starting line up.
--I go to a practice & was sort of in shock that TJ was starting at SS.Then I see#31. I said yeah I really like that combo.
--I also saw video of some OTA's were Mo stood out.--DidnThe Rams trade up to draft him ?? I know Fisher was really really happy they drafted him & said he was going to take sometime to develop .
They drafted him ahead of EJ Gaines !! Which some say was the steal of the draft. This is year 3 and we will see who the steal of the draft is.I expect Mo to have an outstanding year.

My point is by watching a video of some underated rookie your going to say he is going to be a starter, plus he is better than some of The Rams DB's who have put in there time & are part of one of THE BEST SPECIAL TEAM in The NFL !!! Say what you want . I really like the way these guys get after it . I really enjoyed watching players running special teams drills. You can really spot certain players that standout.
-- Tyler Higbee will be a nice added addition,unless they determine him to valuable.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Is it really necessary to be busting on people like that? Laughable? Saying that about another person's opinion kind of makes you laughable.

I am an Alexander fan and felt that he was the apparent heir to the free safety spot. But, Randolph reminds me of McLeod. He is a big hitter and Tennessee used him the same way Williams and Fisher use their free safety, as less of a Ballhawk and more of a big play preventer. Nothing wrong with rooting for the guy.

Jake- your a Ramdolph guy as well.

-- Goid article, but then you sort of drift off the heading.You need to get it straight .
MinAlexander is going to be the starter unless he gets injured. There is know one on The Rams that will even give him competition. This guy has a chance to be a star.
Ram fans talk about The Rams not drafting Bobby Wagner. This guy came from Utah St. as well, and will represent in a excellent manner.
--Williams talks about when Mo came into the league,& in meets thought coaches were speaking a foreign language.
Now as Williams says he is talking and barking out signals. If you were to go to a practice you would see it. I noticed it right away, & then saw his leadership when he came up and popped a rookie to end 11 on 11 when first team D' was going against 3rd team offense.

What does Bobby Wagner and Utah State have to do with Mo Alexander's ability to start at Safety for the Rams? There are a lot of Utah State players that aren't in the NFL.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Never doubted he'd start this year, although I did think when they drafted him it was for the role that Barron was brought in to play. Still so raw, cant wait to see him improve some more

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
--I guess you really have not watched to many Rams games and seen Mo Alexander's improvement ? The proof is when the D/C always talks so highly of a player. Now he is in the starting line up.

Honestly I've heard Williams rave about Mo, Bryant, Davis and Randolph in interviews. I honestly don't care who wins just as long as somebody capable wins the battle and earns the spot.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
--I also saw video of some OTA's were Mo stood out.--DidnThe Rams trade up to draft him ?? I know Fisher was really really happy they drafted him & said he was going to take sometime to develop .
They drafted him ahead of EJ Gaines !! Which some say was the steal of the draft. This is year 3 and we will see who the steal of the draft is.I expect Mo to have an outstanding year.

In one thread you say he was a UDFA in another you think they traded up for him. Are you sure you know about this player? It was actually Lamarcus Joyner who they traded up for that draft, another person with a history and a skill set to play FS. Fisher is happy about every draft pick we can find a video singing the praises of the 6th round picks they took the year Mo was drafted.

My point is by watching a video of some underated rookie your going to say he is going to be a starter, plus he is better than some of The Rams DB's who have put in there time & are part of one of THE BEST SPECIAL TEAM in The NFL !!! Say what you want . I really like the way these guys get after it . I really enjoyed watching players running special teams drills. You can really spot certain players that standout.
-- Tyler Higbee will be a nice added addition,unless they determine him to valuable.

Everybody is putting in the work and the time to get better and earn a spot on the team that's what training camp is for. I'm not criticizing Mo by pulling for Randolph I don't know why people do this. I've said it in multiple threads about multiple positions but maybe this time it'll stick. I don't care who wins the job's open on the team. As long as people are competing and getting better and earn the spots. Me pulling for Randolph isn't hating on Mo or Cody or any of the others it just means I like what I saw, maybe a little more than the other guys from all of their highlight video's and game play(yes they all have them).