The Film Don't Lie: What the Rams Must Fix/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
The Film Don't Lie: Rams
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/12654/the-film-dont-lie-rams-3

A weekly look at what the Rams must fix:

The Seattle Seahawks haven't had as much success rushing the passer as they expected to open the season. But then, neither had the San Francisco 49ers. If the St. Louis Rams don't get their pass-protection issues solved in this short week, they could be the cure to what ails Seattle's pass rush when they visit St. Louis, just as they were for the Niners.

Entering the Monday night game, the Niners had five sacks and a pressure percentage of 16.5 (last in the NFL) in the first five weeks. Against the Rams, the Niners were able to generate plenty of pressure by doing a little more blitzing than normal and using a plethora of stunts and twists to get after young quarterback Austin Davis.

San Francisco sacked Davis five times and put him under duress 15 more times in the game. When Davis was under pressure, he was 6-of-15 with no touchdowns and an interception with an average of 4.7 yards per attempt. When he had a clean pocket, Davis was 15-of-25 with a touchdown and no interceptions and an average of 6.6 yards per attempt (excluding two spikes to stop the clock).

The Rams' struggles in pass protection aren't solely on the offensive line, though they've had struggles there, too, especially with left tackle Jake Long and center Scott Wells. One way to fix the problem would be to get their 19th-ranked running game some level of consistency to keep defenses off balance. Perhaps more of rookie Tre Mason, who flashed potential against the Niners, would be helpful.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm assuming Tre Mason isn't ready with the playbook. Dude looked great. He could be a second half of the season phenom.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Tre Mason should help...G-Rob second start will do wonders....Benching Jake Long....priceless

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
What if Long was moved in to guard?
His problems appear to be quickness as well as explosion....He's is getting bull-rushed by dudes that are half his size. I think he has lost so much power in his lower body, and doesn't have a clue as to how to compensate...Technique will only get you so far. Skuta is outta a Juco...and he had his way with Long on obvious passing downs...It was sad and pathetic...The fall from the top is far...

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
His problems appear to be quickness as well as explosion....He's is getting bull-rushed by dudes that are half his size. I think he has lost so much power in his lower body, and doesn't have a clue as to how to compensate...Technique will only get you so far. Skuta is outta a Juco...and he had his way with Long on obvious passing downs...It was sad and pathetic...The fall from the top is far...
I don't think he is 100% from last year's knee injury. His mobility is lacking

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I don't think he is 100% from last year's knee injury. His mobility is lacking
I don't think Long will ever be 100% again. He had some many injuries in rapid succession to almost the same place. I think Long's Pro Bowl level play is beyond him now. Shit like that consistently kills careers, I think Long is another notch in injuries belt.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I don't think Long will ever be 100% again. He had some many injuries in rapid succession to almost the same place. I think Long's Pro Bowl level play is beyond him now. crap like that consistently kills careers, I think Long is another notch in injuries belt.
I think your right. It's a shame, he's not old at all.
He came out the same year as Chris Long and Matt Ryan. Both in the prime of their careers.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Long is way under a year since his knee injury and shouldn't be playing. There is no way that he is rehabbed and ready as well his play shows. They should be playing someone else at LT but the crappy play of Joesph has limited their options.