The FIGHT is on (five years late?)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It's OFFICIAL.

Mayweather v. Pacquiao is set for May 2nd at the MGM Grand.

It's going to happen.

I have mixed emotions. I've wanted to see this fight for awhile.

Still... will Mayweather run (there's a difference between defensive boxing and running.... lately Mayweather runs until he's chipped away enough or gets the other fighter frustrated enough to make mistakes) or will he stand and trade? He's done that also, lately, but he's only done that against lesser competition. I mean, he wouldn't do that against Cotto in the beginning of the fight.

I just hope it's a GOOD fight. It's going to cost a fortune for those who get it...

What do you all think?

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
too late now. everyone that i know of has grown tired of 2 people somehow disagreeing on being paid tens of millions of dollars for 36 minutes of work with a month or two of training thrown in. i bet it ends in a draw so there can be a second fight too. i'm much more excited about ronda rousey / liz carmouche next weekend.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It's OFFICIAL.

Mayweather v. Pacquiao is set for May 2nd at the MGM Grand.

It's going to happen.

I have mixed emotions. I've wanted to see this fight for awhile.

Still... will Mayweather run (there's a difference between defensive boxing and running.... lately Mayweather runs until he's chipped away enough or gets the other fighter frustrated enough to make mistakes) or will he stand and trade? He's done that also, lately, but he's only done that against lesser competition. I mean, he wouldn't do that against Cotto in the beginning of the fight.

I just hope it's a GOOD fight. It's going to cost a fortune for those who get it...

What do you all think?

I've not followed boxing for years, though you and I have had some interesting chats back when the huddle was alive about the sport. Are these two guys over the hill? Or at least past their prime? I don't know how old they are but I have to wonder if the winner will be decided by who is the least over the hill..........am I off base here?

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
too late now. everyone that i know of has grown tired of 2 people somehow disagreeing on being paid tens of millions of dollars for 36 minutes of work with a month or two of training thrown in. i bet it ends in a draw so there can be a second fight too. i'm much more excited about ronda rousey / liz carmouche next weekend.

Rousey is fighting Zingano, isn't she? Cat didn't pull out again, did she?

I am much more of a UFC than boxing fan. The last time I was into boxing was during the Sugar ray era, with the Duran, Hearns fights.

I may try to watch it just out of curiosity. I know the names but never saw Mayweather or Pacquiao fight A guy I work with has invited me over to watch it. He said he's getting it and doesn't care how much it costs.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i effed that up. it is zingano. i think originally it was carmouche and she pulled out.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
i effed that up. it is zingano. i think originally it was carmouche and she pulled out.

I want to go on record right now and state that I would not pull out. :sneaky:

d3107e0fbf110a94bf29c69aea051a54.jpg

Cat-Zingano-MMA-classes-in-Broomfield-Westminster-Brighton-Denver-CO.jpeg

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm looking forward to it, but wish it would have happened 5 years ago. Both guys are past their respective primes.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I want to go on record right now and state that I would not pull out. :sneaky:

d3107e0fbf110a94bf29c69aea051a54.jpg

Cat-Zingano-MMA-classes-in-Broomfield-Westminster-Brighton-Denver-CO.jpeg
Pretty sure the girl on top is Meisha Taint.

She's a wicked tough fighter who when she got armbar'd by Rhonda Rousey, wouldn't tap.

So Rousey dislocated her elbow.... and it went back... then she started again before the ref stopped the fight.

The big fight for the women will be Rousey versus Chris Cyborg if she can get into the UFC. I know some are hating on her for her steroid use. I'm not in that camp. Her husband is a real douchebag and she was known to have really been in love with him. He was also an MMA fighter, but never had her talents. So, I believe her that he lied to her about the supplements like steroid creams and what not. Once she had to be tested and she failed, she was VERY hurt and divorced him because it became clear what he did. Plus it lined up with all the other lies he'd told that she didn't want to believe that people had been trying to tell her.

But, like a lot of women (and some men), she got involved very young and was very in love and while her partner was a lying POS, she put him on a pedestal and thought he could do no wrong which only made it easier for him.

Anyway, that's the fight in women's MMA that's the equivalent, not Cat Zingano. Meisha Taint was probably the closest and she didn't fare all that well.

As you can tell, I'm a huge MMA fan. I used to roll BJJ before my health issues over the last year and I still hope to get back on the mat. Hopefully, I can in the next few months...

As for this fight, I dunno how this goes.

I have always thought that an Arturo Gatti fight was always a BETTER fight because whether he boxed or WARRED, he left all of himself in the ring. You never doubted that.

Mayweather is susceptible to the big shot early, but otherwise will pick and potshot. It will be up to Pacquiao to make the fight.

Mayweather had trouble against the only other leftie with any kind of ability to throw from multiple angles and that was Zab Judah and that fight was probably his toughest and Zab Judah isn't at his prime in Pacquiao's tier now.

THAT'S why this is a fight. Pacquiao only got KO'd against JMM because he had him damaged and got super over zealous and walked into a counter and it was lights out. He thought he knew him, let his footwork go and got sloppy. He acknowledges that. Pacquiao's absolutely not going to do that against a known defensive fighter like Mayweather.

It will be a Good Fight if: Mayweather engages and there are plenty of exchanges and punches each round with not too much pursuit or holding. Andre Ward and Winky Wright are examples of defensive fighters who don't run.

It will be a TERRIBLE Fight if: Mayweather runs and clinches only throwing enough counters to try and steal rounds since with Pacquiaos punch output and both fighter's fight philosophies, it's highly unlikely Mayweather is going to initiate most exchanges.

The theme for me is pretty clear. This fight is about Mayweather's legacy as "The Best Ever". His acronym. He wants to supplant Muhammad Ali as TBE. So Mayweather can't just barely win on the cards.

Mayweather has to BEAT Pacquiao. And that means fight him. He can't pull that BS that Sugar Ray pulled against Hagler (Sugar Ray also cheated by having someone in the stands so after running for 2:30, he could flurry and steal the rounds).

Will he? I dunno. I think Vegas bettors making Mayweather a 2.5:1 favorite is a bit much, but then again, I don't think Manny's going to get any decision in a town where Mayweather's an industry all by himself.

I'm all over Pacquiao. I think Mayweather's an immense talent, but I don't support woman beaters in the NFL and Mayweather's a serial woman beater.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Wow I hadn't heard that about Leonard having someone give him a heads up at the tail end of each round.

I never thought Leonard was as good as the media hyped him to be but I didn't know he cheated like that.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://deadspin.com/mayweather-vs-pacquiao-is-maybe-happening-five-year-1610144618

Mayweather Vs. Pacquiao Is (Maybe) Happening, Five Years Too Late
IronMikeGallegohttp://deadspin.com/mayweather-vs-pacquiao-is-maybe-happening-five-year-1610144618#
mdqkmtjh7rjekzjps4ws.jpg

Manny Pacquiao has reportedly agreed to two of the key obstacles holding up his long-awaited showdown with Floyd Mayweather, Jr. First, a 60/40 split of the revenue, with Pacquiao's side taking the short end; second, a fight date on May 2, Cinco De Mayo weekend, a popular date for pay per view cards featuring Mexican fighters, and hence a way for Mayweather to thumb Pacquiao promoter Bob Arum in the eye. (Arum was looking to hold that date for his fighter Miguel Cotto to take on popular Mexican star Canelo Alvarez.)

The solid gold ball is now squarely in Mayweather's gem-encrusted court. Will he finally accept the bout, or will he find another way to wriggle out of a tough challenge, as he has done many times before in his career? Cynical boxing fans who'd repeatedly promised themselves that they would never allow themselves to be suckered into rooting for this fight again are quietly burning their resolutions. The biggest fight in boxing history, at least financially speaking, suddenly looks not only possible, but likely to come about.

This is dreadful news. Sorry, did I throw you for a loop there? Count me in the minority of boxing fans who would rather never see the two men meet up. And, no, it's not just because Mayweather is a terrible human being who stands to profit beyond imagination. There are many reasons we should all not only hope this fight somehow falls through, but actively root against it.

They're Dinosaurs: Mayweather and Pacquiao may still be two of the top fighters in the sport, but both men are shells of what they were five years ago, when talk of a superfight began. Mayweather would be 38 on fight night. That's ancient in boxing years. And while Mayweather hasn't taken the same amount of punishment in the ring as most of his peers, his brittle hands and grueling training regime have both contributed to a noticeable decline as he's aged. Mayweather once glided around the ring like he was on ice skates.

Today, he's almost stationary and when he moves, he does so with the delicate deliberation of a dog hunting for the right spot to pee. He's long since ceased throwing punches in bunches, instead relying on a single laser-like pot shot that temporarily stuns his opponent, and allows him to quickly reset the distance. If you set aside his controversial knockout of Victor Ortiz, which came as the sub-Einsteinian Ortiz looked away from Mayweather in the midst of a confused attempt to apologize, Floyd hasn't stopped an opponent since jovial Mancunian souse Ricky Hatton, way back in December of 2007.

(Barack Obama hadn't yet announced that he'd be seeking the presidency, to put it in perspective.) In his most recent fights, Mayweather has hardly looked like an all-time great, twice needing to gut it outagainst modest contender Marcos Maidana. And Mayweather is in the better shape of the two.

Pacquiao, at 36, is slightly younger than Mayweather, but has absorbed infinitely more punishment in the ring, most notably an absolutely devastating knockout at the hands of his longtime foe Juan Manuel Marquez in December 2012. Perhaps less notable to causal fans was the slide Pacquiao had been on for years leading up to the Marquez fight.

After blowing through the featherweight and lightweight divisions, Pacquiao moved up to welterweight in 2008 for a stunning win over a spent Oscar De La Hoya. Pacquiao followed that win by annihilating Ricky Hatton in two rounds, and wearing down Miguel Cotto in November 2009. So stunning was this string of consecutive knockouts over naturally larger foes that some other fighters accused Pacquiao of using steroids, most notably Mayweather and Showtime's Paulie Malignaggi. (The latter's name—and I don't speak Italian—seem to literally translate to "guy who says bad things about people.")

In hindsight, a better explanation may be that De La Hoya was finished, Hatton was equally finished and never much to begin with, and Cotto was still badly damaged from a beating he endured from Antonio Margarito the year before. (Significant evidence suggests Margarito loaded his gloves with cement before that fight.)

Whatever magic led to that string of knockouts, however, quickly vanished, and Pacquiao has not scored one in any of his 10 fights since Cotto. Even against mediocre competition like Joshua Clottey and an elderly "Sugar" Shane Mosley, Pacquiao looked flat and uninspired, nothing at all like the exploding dervish who once inspired HBO's Jim Lampley to exclaim, "Manny Pacquiao is a storm!" His body, while still taut, looks increasingly bulky, and he's visibly slowed to the point where it looks like someone has attached an anchors to each of his arms.

In recent years, Pacquiao has divided his attention between boxing, acting, his role as a congressman in his native Philippines, and even a stint as a professional basketball player. In his most recent outing in the ring, Pacquiao easily defeated a guy named Chris Algieri, who still lives in his parents' basement on Long Island. It was every bit as impressive as it sounds. Heavily in debt to both American and Philippine tax authorities, Pacquiao sometimes looks like a man just going through the motions. The magic that made him the most electrifying fighter in the sport in 2008 and 2009 remains frustratingly elusive.

It Will Be A Rip Off: Just because the main event will be a thinly disguised old-timers' game, don't expect a discount on your cable bill. Mayweather has charged up to $85 for recent pay-per-views, and you can bet there will be a hefty premium for this one. Are you ready to pay $100 for three hours of lousy showcase fights for the pseudo-prospects signed to Mayweather's promotional company, followed by a main event featuring two guys who need bifocals to see their best days in the rear-view mirror?

Mayweather Really is a Terrible Person: It's not the only reason to avoid the fight, but it's still a good one. No matter who you are, you need and deserve your money more than Floyd Mayweather does. Spend that $100 on something useful, like a smartwatch, something from Kinja Deals, or maybe a single bottle of Bud Light in the sort of nightclubs that Floyd frequents.

Boxing Doesn't Need This Fight: Don't believe the hype. Boxing doesn't need this fight to survive. This fight is what's killing the sport! The problem with boxing is not a dearth of talent, it's not a lack of interest, and it's not that the sport has lost its appeal. The problem, epitomized by Mayweather and Pacquiao, is that in the absence of any sort of central regulatory body, the few elite fighters and promoters have organized themselves into a small number of cartels, which effectively refuse to do business with one another.

For the last five years, fighters signed to the two largest promotional camps have almost never fought one another, even when it was the best fight that could be made, because of personal differences between the promoters and managers involved. Imagine if Ohio State and Oregon had refused to play each other and instead played hand-selected opponents from within their own conferences— that's what happens in boxing every day.

And no two men are more to blame for this than Pacquiao's promoter, Bob Arum, and Mayweather's shadowy manager, Al Haymon. Don't reward them if they finally agree to give us what we want after repeatedly refusing the largest payday in history. Make them fix the broken system in a way that ensures we'll see more competitive fights and fewer in-house showcases.

It Probably Wouldn't Be a Good Fight: Floyd Mayweather is a terrible person. He is greatly diminished as a boxer. But, yeah, he's still probably the best fighter on the planet, and he would blow Pacquiao out if they ever meet in the ring. It's just science. Mayweather has an unnatural reach—the only opponent who ever matched Mayweather for arm length was Oscar De La Hoya, who was winning the first half of the fight before a shoulder injury cost him his jab—which he uses, brilliantly to hold his opponents at bay.

Mayweather sets up at a distance just beyond on his own reach, waits for his opponent to come in, and then—pop!—lands milliseconds before the foe is close enough to reach him. There's nothing like a quick clean shot to the nose to disorient a boxer; it's the only punch that legitimately stings. It makes your eyes water, your head squeezes in at the temples, and you lose your breath, all of which involuntarily freezes you for at least a moment. And that one moment is all Mayweather needs to reset his feet and repeat the process.

Against Mayweather's first 44 opponents, this has proved an insurmountable obstacle, but for Pacquiao, it might be even worse. Pacquiao sets up his attack by dipping from side to side and then diving in face-first, arms flinging wildly, sort of like Piston Honda in the old Punch-Out!! game. And just like Piston Honda, a well-timed punch to his open face as he comes in is the best defense to a Pacquiao charge. No one, perhaps ever, is better suited to time and unload that punch than is Floyd Mayweather.

What does this mean? Another dull, boring Mayweather decision, another massive Mayweather payday, and another boxing fan wondering why he or she plunked down $100 to see that.

I am still skeptical that this fight ever gets made; there have been too many excuses bandied about for too long. From the heavily tattooed Pacquiao developing a convenient fear of needles shortly after Mayweather insisted on Olympic style drug testing to Mayweather's irrational demands and continued unprovoked attacks on Pacquiao, both have seemingly done everything they can to prevent this fight from taking place.

A few years ago, that was a tragedy for the sport. Today, let's call it a blessing in disguise. If this fight takes place, it won't be a victory for the fans. It will be a victory for two over-the-hill fighters, their wretched promoters, and at least in Pacquiao's case, their creditors. Let's hope it doesn't happen.

IronMikeGallego is a longtime boxing fan and occasional contributor to Deadspin. He can be found on Twitter @ironmikegallego or at ironmikegallego@gmail.com. Photo via AP.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Les--these are world class athletes in top physical condition who could probably kick your ass.

Don't disappoint them.

there's no probably about it for me. either one would easily make me their own personal b*tch due to my extensive couch training the past few years. those arm bars look nasty. of course, i'd be ok with the rear naked choke hold. (y)

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
Mac---that is Miesha Taint.

I'd know that butt anywhere.

http://img.mixedmartialarts.com/method=get&s=miesha-Taint-12-04-11-10-48-53-793.jpg

fearsomefour

Legend
Manny was never going to beat Mayweather. Manny comes in straight ahead and Mayweather is one of the best counter punchers of all time. He would have picked Manny apart five years ago and he will do so now. I think the only thing that is different is Mayweather may not win as decisively as five years. Add in the fact that Floyd is naturally a bigger guy than Manny and I don't think fight is close. The only chance Manny has is a punchers chance.
I would imagine there is an option for a second fight in the language of this one. So, I am sure this will be one of two fights.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Miesha Taint is one tough hottie. In her last bout she got crushed in the first round, was able to hang on, and then she ultimately dominated. Was great to watch.
The Rousey/Zingano fight is a couple years in the making. Cat was supposed to coach in the Ultimate Fighter against Rousey, then fight her at the finale. But Cat got hurt and Misha stepped in.
That said, I think Rousey can beat any man at same weight. Shes a killer

I've totally lost all love for Boxing, all UFC for me

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Wow I hadn't heard that about Leonard having someone give him a heads up at the tail end of each round.

I never thought Leonard was as good as the media hyped him to be but I didn't know he cheated like that.

Yep... it's pretty clear on the tape... in some rounds you can even see the guy get up and shout "30 SECONDS!" and then Sugar Ray will get off of his bicycle and start flurrying...bouncing in and out. He's careful about it, but he starts throwing, even putting some stink on some punches.

If you didn't know boxing well, it looked like a dominating performance. Except the punches didn't hurt Hagler at all.

What's funny is that... and Leonard is the one who tells this story... he was running from Hagler and Hagler was stalking him getting frustrating and started talking to him, saying, "fight me, bitch", to which Sugar Ray smiled, shook his head and said, "nooo, nooo"

There's a reason I respect Tommy Hearns. He broke his hand on Hagler's head and if his hand hadn't broken, he might have won that fight. He hurt Hagler and took it too him like a warrior. He kept throwing that broken hand, tho. He just couldn't throw it and damage Hagler like he needed to and he ultimately lost in one of the greatest fights of all time.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yep... it's pretty clear on the tape... in some rounds you can even see the guy get up and shout "30 SECONDS!" and then Sugar Ray will get off of his bicycle and start flurrying...bouncing in and out. He's careful about it, but he starts throwing, even putting some stink on some punches.

If you didn't know boxing well, it looked like a dominating performance. Except the punches didn't hurt Hagler at all.

What's funny is that... and Leonard is the one who tells this story... he was running from Hagler and Hagler was stalking him getting frustrating and started talking to him, saying, "fight me, bitch", to which Sugar Ray smiled, shook his head and said, "nooo, nooo"

There's a reason I respect Tommy Hearns. He broke his hand on Hagler's head and if his hand hadn't broken, he might have won that fight. He hurt Hagler and took it too him like a warrior. He kept throwing that broken hand, tho. He just couldn't throw it and damage Hagler like he needed to and he ultimately lost in one of the greatest fights of all time.

Hearns Hagler was a good one

I watched it

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

It was Angelo Dundee, Leonard's trainer, who did that, and it was part of their pre-fight strategy. I wouldn't call it cheating, even if it comes off as a cheap tactic. You can't call someone picking up the pace and throwing flurries toward the end of the round "cheating" ... throwing punches is the name of the game. And it was effective in this fight the way it played out in large part because of the way Hagler fought.

At the end of the day, Hagler and his corner bear full responsibility for that loss. Hagler, normally a southpaw, came out in an orthodox stance for the first four rounds and pissed away every one of them. After getting into a big hole, he picked it up with the next 5 rounds, but in the last three rounds he took his foot off the gas pedal, and many times when he had a tired Leonard on the ropes, instead of picking up the intensity he just threw little pitter patter punches, no oomph at all. He allowed Leonard to steal the championship rounds by slacking off the intensity instead of picking it up. And the Petronelli brothers (his cornermen) should have really got in his face between rounds and let him know what was happening, but instead they were derelict in their duty.

Contrast that performance with Hagler's performance against Duran. After 12 rounds, Hagler was behind on point, and the Petronellis knew he would lose if it went to the cards at that point. They lit a fire under his ass and in the last three rounds, Hagler really poured it on, bringing everything he had and winning the decision. Had he done that against Leonard, he would have got the same outcome. Instead, he let Leonard hang around and steal one.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Actually, it is the very definition of cheating as the NSAC rules clearly stated no coaching or communication is allowed with the athletes by anyone accept those specifically designated as corner personnel. As well, no one other than the Time Keeper announces the times for the fight and those are the beginning of a round, the 10 second warning and the end of a round. No corner personnel may give announce times to fighters.

Thus, having a Member of the Leonard camp seated in the stands to circumvent the rules announcing when there was exactly 30 seconds left in each round is cheating.

No, Hagler did not do a great job of adjusting, but he faced a plan that involved cheating... Much like the 2001 Rams.