The curvature of water formula is wrong....so, ya, you guessed it

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Many people have some videos that are unedited, show little if any refraction and unmeasureable curvature over water at distances of 23 miles or so.

There are formulas for this, and it is miles squared x 8 inches.

THe measurements of our 'world' are off...none of the scientits care....which means nothing to me....but, I wonder how many people realize this.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
"Scientits".

Typo or on purpose? That's the real question here.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
So you're proposing that the world is flat or that the world is way bigger than we thought?

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
I am creative, but not THAT creative :)

I am.
busty_sexy_scientist.jpg

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Scientists? Scien-tits?

I'm as confused as a baby in a topless bar.:thinking::yess:

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I would still like to know if we're saying the Earth is huge or the Earth is flat.

Anyone?

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
@1maGoh I don't think so. When calculating the distances for airplanes to travel they can either go in a straight line or in an arc. Most airlines travel in an arc as it is the shorter distance and parallel to the earth's shape. Even over water.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
@1maGoh I don't think so. When calculating the distances for airplanes to travel they can either go in a straight line or in an arc. Most airlines travel in an arc as it is the shorter distance and parallel to the earth's shape. Even over water.
But if the formula for the curvature is wrong, then one of those two things must be true.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Many people have some videos that are unedited, show little if any refraction and unmeasureable curvature over water at distances of 23 miles or so.

There are formulas for this, and it is miles squared x 8 inches.

THe measurements of our 'world' are off...none of the scientits care....which means nothing to me....but, I wonder how many people realize this.

"unedited" on YouTube means diddley squat. Modern video editing programs allow all sorts of editing without it being obvious.

The earth of course is not a sphere, but a spheroid - with some areas thanks to the bulge in the middle being significantly larger than others. Any rule of thumb for the curvature is just that - a rule of thumb, and not exact.

That the curvature is real is shown by looking over any large body of water, and observing how tall masted boats appear - first the top of the masts appear, then gradually more and more of the boats.

That the overall size of the Earth is known is shown - as others have pointed out - by the distances planes fly and the shortest directions they fly.

I don't trust those YouTube or other uploaded videos - because they contradict a huge number of independently sourced data points. It would take literally hundreds of thousands of people hiding info for zero reason for the paranoics to be correct. It would also require many corporations to waste many millions of dollars a year to support those lies. Ridiculous.

Some formulas people use are just rules of thumb - but even then they are close enough for everyday use.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
"unedited" on YouTube means diddley squat. Modern video editing programs allow all sorts of editing without it being obvious.

The earth of course is not a sphere, but a spheroid - with some areas thanks to the bulge in the middle being significantly larger than others. Any rule of thumb for the curvature is just that - a rule of thumb, and not exact.

That the curvature is real is shown by looking over any large body of water, and observing how tall masted boats appear - first the top of the masts appear, then gradually more and more of the boats.

That the overall size of the Earth is known is shown - as others have pointed out - by the distances planes fly and the shortest directions they fly.

I don't trust those YouTube or other uploaded videos - because they contradict a huge number of independently sourced data points. It would take literally hundreds of thousands of people hiding info for zero reason for the paranoics to be correct. It would also require many corporations to waste many millions of dollars a year to support those lies. Ridiculous.

Some formulas people use are just rules of thumb - but even then they are close enough for everyday use.
So... donut shaped Earth?

I read about that.
https://www.iflscience.com/editors-...y-about-why-no-ones-ever-fallen-off-the-edge/

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Keep this in mind too...

The oceans' shapes/curvature will fluctuate big time depending on the location and phase of the moon on a daily basis.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Keep this in mind too...

The oceans' shapes/curvature will fluctuate big time depending on the location and phase of the moon on a daily basis.
Oooh, good catch. Damn Moon. Screwing up all our good science.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

The earth of course is not a sphere, but a spheroid - with some areas thanks to the bulge in the middle being significantly larger than others.

You are a right about editing.

The spheroid, yes, Neil T Degrasse says that...but, then how come NASA shows a perfectly (neaer) round in videos from back 20-30 years ago on missions...and what about the perfectly round earth found in all the space-x videos. THe conspiracy is somwhere....because those videos explicitly show no 'bulging' spheroid like scientists say....if the 'camera' is wrong, then the govt is in on it...

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You are a right about editing.

The spheroid, yes, Neil T Degrasse says that...but, then how come NASA shows a perfectly (
neaer) round in videos from back 20-30 years ago on missions...and what about the perfectly round earth found in all the space-x videos. THe conspiracy is somwhere....because those videos explicitly show no 'bulging' spheroid like scientists say....if the 'camera' is wrong, then the govt is in on it...

Or the bulge is less than 1%. Significant when you are right by it, measuring distances - less significant if viewing the whole planet from many miles away. Even you admit that the Earth is NEARLY perfectly round in those photos.

Give it up. Airlines are not going to be wasting many millions of dollars worth of fuel every year taking the wrong routes - and the routes they take are because of the spheroid shape of the Earth. The formulas for the curvature that you cite are good rules of thumb. Not perfect - because they are rules of thumb, for reasons given in this thread.

It's like those moon landing deniers - who ignore that the USSR would have loved to expose a fraud, and were monitoring every minute of the flight as were other countries and a number of private citizens around the world (the transmissions were all unencrypted.) It would literally have taken higher technology to fake the moon landing than to achieve it.

For the (nearly) spherical earth, it would have taken a ginormous conspiracy to fake it - one that has gone on since long before the US was founded. A conspiracy that benefits nobody, but costs a tremendous amount to maintain for absolutely zero reason. The size of the Earth was approximately known BCE.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would still like to know if we're saying the Earth is huge or the Earth is flat.

Anyone?
IT may be bigger, or the water is flat....and that could mean the earth is a plain.
Some laser tests over water show that laser don't bend, and that they can go over water at 1 meter for 9 miles without out observable curature (so, missing 60' or so of curvature per the forumula)

INsane, right....?