The Cowboys might hold key to Rams first-round QB hopes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Posted on March 2, 2016 by Vincent Bonsignore
http://www.insidesocal.com/nfl/?doing_wp_cron=1456976515.5726909637451171875000

Remember how Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones wielded so much power in the Rams getting approved for relocation back to Los Angeles?

Jones might hold some influence in another franchise-altering decision facing the Rams.

Like, say, whether they have a shot at one of the top three quarterbacks in the draft.

But more on that in a bit.

While Rams general manager Les Snead contended last week at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis that football is a team game and the quarterback is simply a part of that team equation – all strong points, of course – what Snead didn’t explain is just how big a piece the quarterback is in that puzzle.

All you have to do is take a look at the most successful teams in the league to understand it’s a gigantic piece to be sure.

Which is why the Rams will operate this offseason with the intent of finally landing a quarterback they can comfortably march into the future with, and one they can plug in sooner rather than later on a team that has a number of strong pieces already in place.

This isn’t five years ago when the Rams selected Sam Bradford first overall and were forced to throw him to the wolves surrounded by a really weak supporting cast. The quarterback the Rams roll with will step into a situation in which budding All-Pro Todd Gurley is at running back, playmaking wide receiver Tavon Austin can line up all over the field, a young, improving offensive line is in front of him and a playoff caliber defense is in place.

In fact, it can be argued the Rams are a consistent, dependable quarterback and a No. 1 wide receiver away from legitimately contending for a playoff spot.

Which brings up back to Jerry Jones and the Cowboys, and how big a part he plays in the Rams securing their quarterback of the future in the first round.

Three quarterbacks are projected to go in the first half of the first round: North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz, Cal’s Jared Goff and Memphis’ Paxton Lynch.

After a strong showing at the combine last week, Wentz seems almost a lock to go to the Cleveland Browns at No. 2.

This is where it gets a little tricky.

The San Diego Chargers select third, and with Philip Rivers in place it makes little sense they’d draft a quarterback.

Now come the Cowboys at No. 4.

Does Jerry Jones put off drafting the heir apparent to Tony Romo another year, despite Romo’s long injury problems, and roll the dice Romo will can stay healthy? Or does he proactively secure Romo’s replacement by investing the fourth pick in the draft in Cal’s Jared Goff?

If they draft Goff – and plenty of mock drafts have them doing just that – then Lynch is the next man up and it’s hard to imagine him sliding past the San Francisco 49ers at No. 7.

And if that happens, the Rams will likely look at a different position with their 15th pick overall.

On the other hand, if Jones decides on a more immediate impact player at No. 4 – like, say, UCLA linebacker Myles Jack – then the 49ers would likely draft Goff with Lynch sliding to 15 for the Rams.

So, as you can see, the Cowboys hold some important cards in the Rams getting their quarterback in the first round. And there are cases to be made in both directions why Jones should – or shouldn’t – invest such a high pick to secure Romo’s replacement.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even if the Cowboys don't draft a QB, I doubt Lynch makes it to #15. Besides the chances of one of the teams in front of the Rams wanting Lynch for themselves, there's too good of a chance of a team trading in front of the Rams to get Lynch. If the Rams want him, it will take at least one of their seconds I would guess.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Something tells me Connor Cook may just have a tremendous amount of upside and be the QB to surprise at the next level.
If things go wrong in the first grab Cook in Rd 2

Last edited:

TXRams86

The Infamous
Even if the Cowboys don't draft a QB, I doubt Lynch makes it to #15. Besides the chances of one of the teams in front of the Rams wanting Lynch for themselves, there's too good of a chance of a team trading in front of the Rams to get Lynch. If the Rams want him, it will take at least one of their seconds I would guess.
this...

we have to make a move to ensure we get a qb if that's what we're targeting.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Personally, IF the Rams are going to go after a QB in the 1st round, I think they will need to work out some kind of trade with San Diego! And I don't think their owner likes us right now!! So I think the Rams better plan on getting one in FA, or in later rounds!!

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Not one of Vincent's better articles. He doesn't even mention the Eagles, who IMO, have the highest odds of taking a QB between them, the Cowboys and the 49ers. Even though they signed Bradford, they are still going to be drafting a QB. And, with us holding their 2nd rounder, they may not wait 'til the later rounds. That's 4 teams before us that could potentially draft a QB early.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I can't remember who said it on NFL network but he said if we take Lynch at 15 he should start not ride the bench. His point was if he can't beat out Keenum day 1 he's a wasted pick.
Not sure if I agree but taking a QB that high I guess maybe he should start. I mean not like we have a better option right now.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Personally, IF the Rams are going to go after a QB in the 1st round, I think they will need to work out some kind of trade with San Diego! And I don't think their owner likes us right now!! So I think the Rams better plan on getting one in FA, or in later rounds!!
I think it might be easier to just go all the way up to #1 and deal with Tenn. I think Fisher has a lot better relationship with them and they already said they were open to moving down.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trade with the cowboys and take Goff. Jones wanted the Rams in LA so why not help them just a little bit more. Plus it's not the first time the Rams dealt with them, remember the 6th to 14th trade where the boys took Mo Claiborne and we took Brockers?

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trade with the cowboys and take Goff. Jones wanted the Rams in LA so why not help them just a little bit more. Plus it's not the first time the Rams dealt with them, remember the 6th to 14th trade where the boys took Mo Claiborne and we took Brockers?
Jones might be looking for a real good deal from the Rams, kind of a little payback for his help in getting the Rams into LA.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they are interested in Cook, our 2nd and third mover them up to the tail end of round 1. Sometimes it's hard to judge where the QB's will come off the board.Some times they go earlier than expected and some times they drop like a rock. Just have to have all your bases covered on draft day.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I can't remember who said it on NFL network but he said if we take Lynch at 15 he should start not ride the bench. His point was if he can't beat out Keenum day 1 he's a wasted pick.
Not sure if I agree but taking a QB that high I guess maybe he should start. I mean not like we have a better option right now.

From all accounts that I have read, Lynch is far from starting in the NFL. He seems to have dropped after combine interviews and projections are that he is 2-3 years away from being able to start. Post combine mocks have him being passed up for round 1.If his footballa/v knowledge was that far off then who wants to use a first rounder on a guy that could take so much time to develop? Chip Kelly might even be willing to wait until round 2 for him, if Goff and Wentz are off the board.

If they are interested in Cook, our 2nd and third mover them up to the tail end of round 1. Sometimes it's hard to judge where the QB's will come off the board.Some times they go earlier than expected and some times they drop like a rock. Just have to have all your bases covered on draft day.

It really is starting to look like a two horse race. If the Rams want Goff or Wentz badly enough they will have to trade with Tennessee IMO. Spanks probably won't trade with them and if the word gets out the Rams have a deal with Dallas, the Chargers would probably give the Niners a sweetheart deal to jump the Rams and burn Kroenke.

I have not read anything projecting Cook, or Lynch to round 1 post combine. In fact it seems they have dropped to round 2. Without a trade up, the Rams will be picking bpa, which I hope also happens to be a WR. Maybe in a draft deepp at certain positions but weak at positions the Rams need they would even trade back and target specific players later while getting an extra third or second, depending on which receivers they like.

Fisher and Snead love athletic freaks and Coleman was called the most athletic freak at the combine, but currently is projected in the mid 20s. Maybe they would try to drop back a few spots to get him.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think it might be easier to just go all the way up to #1 and deal with Tenn. I think Fisher has a lot better relationship with them and they already said they were open to moving down.
This^ I think, would be too costly considering the caliber of QB we would get!JMHO

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
This^ I think, would be too costly considering the caliber of QB we would get!JMHO

I don't think it would be enough but I would offer our first this year and next and one of our 2nds this year to get up there. Maybe throw in a 4th rounder next year if that didn't get it done. But no way would I give up what the redskins gave up to get RG3.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I cant think of a bigger project QB than Ryan Tannehill. Everyone thought he needed a minimum of 2 years to sit back and learn. Couple of injuries later, and he's the day 1 starter.
No reason for a #1 draft pick to ride the pine unless there is an established vet QB to watch and learn

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
From all accounts that I have read, Lynch is far from starting in the NFL. He seems to have dropped after combine interviews and projections are that he is 2-3 years away from being able to start. Post combine mocks have him being passed up for round 1.If his footballa/v knowledge was that far off then who wants to use a first rounder on a guy that could take so much time to develop? Chip Kelly might even be willing to wait until round 2 for him, if Goff and Wentz are off the board.

It really is starting to look like a two horse race. If the Rams want Goff or Wentz badly enough they will have to trade with Tennessee IMO. Spanks probably won't trade with them and if the word gets out the Rams have a deal with Dallas, the Chargers would probably give the Niners a sweetheart deal to jump the Rams and burn Kroenke.

I have not read anything projecting Cook, or Lynch to round 1 post combine. In fact it seems they have dropped to round 2. Without a trade up, the Rams will be picking bpa, which I hope also happens to be a WR. Maybe in a draft deepp at certain positions but weak at positions the Rams need they would even trade back and target specific players later while getting an extra third or second, depending on which receivers they like.

Fisher and Snead love athletic freaks and Coleman was called the most athletic freak at the combine, but currently is projected in the mid 20s. Maybe they would try to drop back a few spots to get him.

Exactly why taking him at 15 scares me. Can we afford a 2-3 year project at 15? If that's the case is he any better then Mannion ?
I'd rather take a chance to trade up for Goff or Wentz than use this pick on a project. I don't want to waste the young D and Gurley on a pick that might not pan out.

Watching tape on Lynch, who is the only realistic QB we get without trading up, I don't think he is worth a 15. My humble opinion is to take Treadwell in the first and then take Hunter Henry if available but realistically Austin Hooper at TE and Dak Prescott at QB in the second. Lynch is a better QB than Dak, but I think we are better off setting up the pieces and putting in a smart and mobile QB to run the offense.

Mick

Pro Bowler
Watching tape on Lynch, who is the only realistic QB we get without trading up, I don't think he is worth a 15. My humble opinion is to take Treadwell in the first and then take Hunter Henry if available but realistically Austin Hooper at TE and Dak Prescott at QB in the second. Lynch is a better QB than Dak, but I think we are better off setting up the pieces and putting in a smart and mobile QB to run the offense.
I agree about Lynch....not worth a 1st round pick at 15.....either move up, or go WR and look for a QB later on.....please Rams...no QB at 15...we need a WR badly.