The coach that's best for Goff vs the best overall HC candidate

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
I feel like Kyle Shanahan is overwhelmingly the best head coach for Jared Goff and for that matter Todd Gurley. For the long term wellbeing of the franchise getting Goff right is priority number one. That being said I'm not sold that Shanahan would make the best HC. Would it be smart to say screw it even if he isn't best for the team right now, getting him developed is more important for the team health? Or do you try and get a coach in here that you feel is the best overall HC candidate? Or do you feel that there is someone that accomplishes both?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the two are generally going to be the same. The best overall coach should lead to the best overall team which will benefit Goff the most.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the two are generally going to be the same. The best overall coach should lead to the best overall team which will benefit Goff the most.
I just want to see Goff and Gurley in the Shanahan offense. I think they are both perfectly suited for it. I think Kyle's dad can help him deal with the day to day roles of being the head coach. To me he may be my number one choice. If Goff were already developed he probably wouldn't be.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I thinks it's the same as well. The HC will bring in the OC, RB coach, O-line coach, WR coach, QB coach, TE coach etc, and all that will have a great effect on how successful Goff will be as well. If he gets those hires right it will make the team as a whole, including Goff, much better.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I just want to see Goff and Gurley in the Shanahan offense. I think they are both perfectly suited for it. I think Kyle's dad can help him deal with the day to day roles of being the head coach. To me he may be my number one choice. If Goff were already developed he probably wouldn't be.
Until the rest of the offense doesn't consistently screw the pooch, it won't matter how well developed goff is IMO. This offense is such a shit show. It sucks to say. Hopefully new coaches can get them on track and some new draft players and FA's. A lot of work is needed and it will take a few years to right the ship.

Last edited:

Zero

Pro Bowler
I feel like Kyle Shanahan is overwhelmingly the best head coach for Jared Goff and for that matter Todd Gurley. For the long term wellbeing of the franchise getting Goff right is priority number one. That being said I'm not sold that Shanahan would make the best HC. Would it be smart to say screw it even if he isn't best for the team right now, getting him developed is more important for the team health? Or do you try and get a coach in here that you feel is the best overall HC candidate? Or do you feel that there is someone that accomplishes both?
I really Like Shanahan.I think he would work wonders for Goff.As far as the Best Head coach
is concerned.I like the Idea of having daddy Shanahan mentor Kyle as he learns the ins and outs
of being a head coach.Kyle is talented enough that he would in my opinion that he could develop
into a hell of a head coach if given time.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Who you liking so far jrry.Any favorites?

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Until the rest of the offense doesn't consistently screw the pooch, it won't matter how well developed goff is IMO. This offense us such a crap show. It sucks to say. Hopefully new coaches can get them on track and some new draft players and FA's. A lot of work is needed and it will take a few years to right the ship.
Totally agree with you. I think fans looking for that quick turnaround will probably be disappointed. I don't see a way all the holes can get filled in one offseason. I do think it can easily be a 2 year process. I don't think it should be a long drawn out rebuild.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Until the rest of the offense doesn't consistently screw the pooch, it won't matter how well developed goff is IMO. This offense us such a crap show. It sucks to say. Hopefully new coaches can get them on track and some new draft players and FA's. A lot of work is needed and it will take a few years to right the ship.
Who are you liking Tron?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who you liking so far jrry.Any favorites?

Jim Harbaugh or David Shaw would be my top choices. Assuming they aren't options, I don't know enough about the coordinators personalities to say for sure. I like the systems that Shanahan and Haley run. I also respect both Patricia and Anthony Lynn as coaches.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Totally agree with you. I think fans looking for that quick turnaround will probably be disappointed. I don't see a way all the holes can get filled in one offseason. I do think it can easily be a 2 year process. I don't think it should be a long drawn out rebuild.

I don't think it takes filling every hole if you have good coaches. Seahawks have a terrible OL. Packers have terrible CBs (due to injury). Dallas has holes all over their defense.

Good coaches can pull it all together and allow units to outplay their individual parts.

It might not be immediate next year. It takes time for players to break in a new system.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Jim Harbaugh or David Shaw would be my top choices. Assuming they aren't options, I don't know enough about the coordinators personalities to say for sure. I like the systems that Shanahan and Haley run. I also respect both Patricia and Anthony Lynn as coaches.
Harbaugh would be my top choice,but i don't think there is much
of a chance for that.I like Shaw and Shanahan.
The fact that Kroenke is in love with the Patriot way makes me
believe Josh Mcdaniels and Patricia may have an edge.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I like McVay, Patricia, and Shanahan for first timers.

I like Haley, Whisenhunt and yes....even McDaniel's as former HC's. It seems a lot of failed first time coaches learn a lot from what went wrong.

I like Mike MacIntyre from CU as a college coach.

I would have loved Harbaugh but think there is a .00000001% chance that will happen.

I would be fine with Shaw but he doesnt seem to be ready to make the jump according to him.

Saban would bring a winning culture but no way he leaves Bama and being one of the best collage coaches ever right now IMO.

No to Gruden. He took a good Dungy team to a SB win then destroyed it. He did have a good Raiders team but having grown up in Tampa Bay I got to see everything Chuckie did. I don't like him.

I'd say my top 3 right now would be(in no particular order):

McVay
Patricia
McDaniels

Zero

Pro Bowler
Fro I would be very excited just to see the arrow pointing upward.
Whether it takes a year or two to get to playoff contention is fine by me
as long as we're seeing improvements.I am just so Damn tired of watching
our team year in and year out showing no real growth whatsoever.

Zero

Pro Bowler
I like McVay, Patricia, and Shanahan for first timers.

I like Haley, Whisenhunt and yes....even McDaniel's as former HC's. It seems a lot of failed first time coaches learn a lot from what went wrong.

I like Mike MacIntyre from CU as a college coach.

I would have loved Harbaugh but think there is a .00000001% chance that will happen.

I would be fine with Shaw but he doesnt seem to be ready to make the jump according to him.

Saban would bring a winning culture but no way he leaves Bama and being one of the best collage coaches ever right now IMO.

No to Gruden. He took a good Dungy team to a SB win then destroyed it. He did have a good Raiders team but having grown up in Tampa Bay I got to see everything Chuckie did. I don't like him.

I'd say my top 3 right now would be(in no particular order):

McVay
Patricia
McDaniels
Mcvay is definitely doing some special things in Washington.
I'm not big on Haley, Gruden or Whisenhunt .
I liked the article about Mcdaniels and how he has been preparing
himself in case he gets another shot at HC.I think he would do a much better
job the second time around.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Mcvay is definitely doing some special things in Washington.
I'm not big on Haley, Gruden or Whisenhunt .
I liked the article about Mcdaniels and how he has been preparing
himself in case he gets another shot at HC.I think he would do a much better
job the second time around.
Im not the biggest fans of Haley or Whisenhunt either, but when it comes to retreads, they are on my list above most others. I did like that article on McD as well. I'd put him as my #1 retread right now.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Im not the biggest fans of Haley or Whisenhunt either, but when it comes to retreads, they are on my list above most others. I did like that article on McD as well. I'd put him as my #1 retread right now.
Looks like the First time list has a lot more intriguing names for sure

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Whisenhunt is a two-time failure. ;)

I'm opposed to Saban. He tried to treat NFL players like he did his college players, and they didn't respect him. His personality doesn't fit the NFL imo.