Teddy Bridgewater playing Madden to prepare for rookie season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Teddy Bridgewater using video games to prepare for rookie season
Posted by Josh Alper on June 27, 2014

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpthknzy1odzmowq5ytzhzthmowe3yze0nmizoti4zgjh-e1403885768493.jpeg
AP

Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater is going to be playing a lot of Madden football before training camp, but it isn’t because he’s shirking his responsibilities as a first-round pick.

Bridgewater says that he’s imported the Vikings’ playbook into the popular video game so that he can take “virtual reps” against defense he’s expecting to see in games. Bridgewater did the same thing at Louisville and said that he’s found it is a helpful way to continue the mental preparation that

“It helps because you get one more rep than you had in practice, actual practice,” Bridgewater said, via ESPN.com. “Any chance you get to take an extra rep or go the extra step, extra mile, it’s going to be very beneficial transferring it to the field.”

Bridgewater says the games are part of his attempt to maximize every opportunity he can get to immerse himself in the offense, which is an effort that the Vikings will surely appreciate if it helps Bridgewater get ready to help the team sooner rather than later.

And, if it does, it will serve as a good endorsement for the realism of the games even as the attempts of most Madden-players to claim deeper benefits from time spent in front of their screens fall on deaf ears.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
It actually does help you learn to read a defense, I look for the one on one matchups and throw to that guy.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Wow. That's actually ... pretty smart.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I think the vikings are going to be a good team going forward, they needed a QB and they got one in this kid. Idk how he slipped so far.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter

They're young, but that defensive line has some potential talent on it after they parted ways with Allen and Williams. We don't really know what Griffen is capable of in a full time role and Floyd was a really highly regarded prospect at DT. Their secondary is in the same boat with Smith really showing something last year, and Rhodes and Munnerlyn could be a decent corner pairing.

It's all potential at this point, but Vikings fans are probably just as hopeful about their D as Rams fans are about their O.

Which is not to say the Rams won't destroy them in week 1. But we should take pride when they do!

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Madden taught me football. When you're just learning the game (I was about 11 and totally new to it) it genuinely helps.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Someone needs to ask him what difficulty level he's playing it on.
In preparation for week 1, may I suggest moving all the sliders on opposing D to 99?

Madden taught me football. When you're just learning the game (I was about 11 and totally new to it) it genuinely helps.

I found there was a tendency with Madden to focus too heavily on the O side of the ball, I think I learnt nothing about D from it. But it is a great gateway drug for us Brits.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I'm not sure. Nickel D, 46, the difference between a 3-4 and 4-3... Those are basic concepts but starting from scratch, madden is helpful

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I think the vikings are going to be a good team going forward, they needed a QB and they got one in this kid. Idk how he slipped so far.
He had one mediocre workout.

Side note - I live in Kentucky and one of my few Charlie Strong memories, I prefer the Wildcats to the Cards, was him telling the local media that his team plays too much Call of Duty.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
He had one mediocre workout.

Side note - I live in Kentucky and one of my few Charlie Strong memories, I prefer the Wildcats to the Cards, was him telling the local media that his team plays too much Call of Duty.

yea, it just doesn't make sense to me though because that one workout. I judge kids off how they preform in college over workouts and such but good for the Vikings I guess lol.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Someone needs to ask him what difficulty level he's playing it on.
In preparation for week 1, may I suggest moving all the sliders on opposing D to 99?

Eh, he'll probably want to move his team's O-Line sliders all the way down to zero, then he'll have a feel for what it's gonna be like.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
This isn't a bad idea, no different from a professional racer playing a racing sim like Forza or Gran Turismo to learn a track for an upcoming race, although you would hope they already know the track (in this case the opposing team's defense) well enough to not need to do that.

I'm not sure how useful it is in real life considering Madden is kind of a joke, but it is a pretty decent excuse to play video games.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I really liked Bridgewater coming out and think Minny got a steal here, but using a video game to harness your skills seems like complete BS to me. Then again, I don't play Madden, but I find it virtually impossible that a video game is going to translate to real life. I kind of lost a little respect for him now as a player.