Teddy Bridgewater has gotten glowing reports from OTAs/Jets open to trading him

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-from-otas-heres-what-we-should-make-of-them/

Teddy Bridgewater has gotten glowing reports from OTAs; here's what we should make of them

Bridgewater apparently looked great during the Jets' first week of OTAs

Organized team activities are in full swing around the NFL, including for the New York Jets.

As usual, the quarterback position is a big focus in New York. The Jets did surrender three second-round picks to move up from No. 6 to No. 3 in the draft, where they landed USC's Sam Darnold. Darnold is not necessarily expected to start right away -- that position seems likely to be filled by Josh McCown, the team's bridge QB. But it's the other quarterback in New York who has been making news this weekend.

Apparently, Teddy Bridgewater looks fantastic at OTAs.

From the Daily News:

Bridgewater was the best quarterback on the field on the first day of the Jets' organized team activities, a promising sign for a guy who had a solid start to his career before a mishap in practice nearly cost him that career. He was fluid in his drop-backs without a trace of a limp. He was smooth on a designed roll-out to his right on one of his nine snaps in 11-on-11 team drills.

If you didn't know any better, you'd think that he was never injured.

And ESPN:

It's still early -- very early -- but one player in particular has generated a legitimate buzz at One Jets Drive -- quarterback Teddy Bridgewater.

The organization couldn't be happier with Bridgewater, one of the bright spots in Week 1 of OTA practices. Not only did he perform well in the first practice, open to the media, but he maintained it throughout the week. While it's too soon to wage a "Teddy-should-be-starting" campaign -- his surgically repaired knee won't be truly tested until he gets hit in a preseason game -- it creates some interesting options for the Jets.

When they made a one-year, low-cost investment in Bridgewater, they did so with the belief that he could be flipped for a draft pick under the right circumstances. That's still on the table; his trade value is trending upward. Or they could decide to keep him because, if he stays healthy, he might be the best quarterback on the team in 2018.

The way I see it, one of two things is true here.

The first thing that could be true is that Bridgewater really does look fantastic and is the Jets' best quarterback right now. I prefer this option because anyone who doesn't want good things for Teddy Bridgewater after what he's gone through is a monster. To come back from his injury and lock down a starting job would be a heck of a story, and it would be great for the Jets, too.

The other thing that's possibly true is that this is OTAs and Bridgewater looks great ... and the Jets know they have an incentive to make it known just how great he looks. No matter what happens with Bridgewater this season, Darnold is the future in New York. You don't trade three second-round picks to make a guy your backup to someone you signed for one year and $6 million.

Bridgewater could easily be the team's bridge starter this year if he looks like the best player in camp, but McCown is also fully capable of filling that role. The difference is McCown is going to be 39 years old later this summer and likely worth next to nothing on the trade market. Bridgewater is 25 and only a few years removed from being a first-round pick. There's upside aplenty there, and he could potentially help the Jets recoup some of the investment they made in Darnold if he looks good and somebody decides he's their answer at QB during camp.

This scenario might sound familiar because it's pretty much exactly what happened with the Eagles, Sam Bradford, and Carson Wentz, when Bridgewater himself was injured two years ago. Suddenly, the Vikings needed a starter, and they sent the Eagles their first- and fourth-round picks in exchange for Bradford. The Eagles, who had just traded two firsts, a second, a third, and a fourth to move up for Wentz, surely appreciated the recouping of picks for a quarterback who was not in their long-term plans. If all works out for the Jets, they could pull off the same thing. Or, of course, Teddy could be the guy they've been looking for. He's still 25, after all.

Ram65

Legend
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/teddy-bridgewater-14441/
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/josh-mccown-4944/

Jets paying out 16 Mil...Bridgewater gets 6M and McCown gets 10M

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/
Darnold is slotted at 5.5 Mil

Nice to see Bridgewater doing well. So the Jets are paying out 21.5 Million cap dollars for the 3 QBs. My first thought is that is weird having all three QBs and spending that amount of cap on them. They still have over 21 Mil remaining on their cap which they will carry most over to next. They spent money on the TruJo signing. I know they surprised last year but, I don't know about the roster with all the change over. I thought Darnold could use another year at USC. I do think they need to get him snaps in the second half of the year. They have to get going while Darnold is on that rookie contract. They could get lucky and have a team need a QB like Teddy B. They sure are spending cap space at the QB position when they could spend it elsewhere.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I wish Bridgewater all the best, but I would be shocked if the Jets went with him, but maybe they do. I'm also anxious to watch this scenario plays out because I really think Todd Bowles is a solid Head Coach, however, his overall record with the Jets is 20-28 and IMO will be on the hot seat as the Jets look for an Offensive Coach to pair with Sam Donald for the future.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Good for Teddy....he looked good for some time...his last preseason before...maybe 2016, when he blew his knee out, he was looking his best....

I still think his build is too slight for the rigors of an NFL season.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They sure are spending cap space at the QB position when they could spend it elsewhere.

I think it's mostly because of positional salary inflation. Overall, I don't think it's too bad. Just comparing them to the other 4 teams that drafted first round QBs this year - Buffalo is spending a lot less at the position. Cleveland is spending a few million more than the Jets. Baltimore is spending a LOT more at QB. Arizona is a weird case - on this year's cap they are spending about $15.8 million - but Bradford has a $5 million dead money hit in 2019, or a combined bonus and salary of $15 million. It's unlikely they keep him at that price, unless Rosen doesn't look good. With that dead money, the Cards would be spending just under $21 million on QBs for 2018.

It looks to me like the Jets are smack dab in the middle of teams looking to transition to a first round QB. And there's a realistic chance that they will be able to trade Bridgewater for value, come training camp. The Jets make a lot of weird decisions, but they seem to be doing okay in this case.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope they play Teddy in the preseason and he lights it up. They know who they want the man of their future to be. It would be awesome to see Bridgewater get a chance to start somewhere in the league.

Ram65

Legend
I think it's mostly because of positional salary inflation. Overall, I don't think it's too bad. Just comparing them to the other 4 teams that drafted first round QBs this year - Buffalo is spending a lot less at the position. Cleveland is spending a few million more than the Jets. Baltimore is spending a LOT more at QB. Arizona is a weird case - on this year's cap they are spending about $15.8 million - but Bradford has a $5 million dead money hit in 2019, or a combined bonus and salary of $15 million. It's unlikely they keep him at that price, unless Rosen doesn't look good. With that dead money, the Cards would be spending just under $21 million on QBs for 2018.

It looks to me like the Jets are smack dab in the middle of teams looking to transition to a first round QB. And there's a realistic chance that they will be able to trade Bridgewater for value, come training camp. The Jets make a lot of weird decisions, but they seem to be doing okay in this case.

Yes QB inflation hits hard. The Jets are in a big market and really need to try to compete. Should be an interesting starting battle with Teddy B and Josh. They spend 16 Million here but, get insurance and a possible trade option. Not so weird after all.

The Bills going with A.J. McCarron who signed a 2 year, 10 Million contract with the them counting 3 Million on the cap this year is much more reasonable. Of course you get what you pay most of the time. It shows there are different ways to make the transition to the hopefull franchise QB.

Cardinals delaying the Bradford cap hit hurts them financially next year which is good for the Rams. It does give them some insurance is Rosen fails or gets hurt before next season.

Cleveland spend 16 Million and draft capital for one year on Tyrod Taylor. They have the money and picks that it makes sense to get the franchise in position to win some games. They did add some offensive weapons that will help Mayfield when he is ready to take over and can help Taylor in the meantime.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope Teddy rebounds and starts somewhere this year. The kid deserves it. IMO, he was on his way to being a top 10-15 QB before his injury.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
his surgically repaired knee won't be truly tested until he gets hit in a preseason game

It cutting and running and planting that are the tests. Most knee injuries are non contact.

The first thing that could be true is that Bridgewater really does look fantastic and is the Jets' best quarterback right now. I prefer this option because anyone who doesn't want good things for Teddy Bridgewater after what he's gone through is a monster. To come back from his injury and lock down a starting job would be a heck of a story, and it would be great for the Jets, too.

I wish Bridgewater all the best, but I would be shocked if the Jets went with him, but maybe they do.

He could have trade value if he plays some decent ball. McCown has no value at all.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I loved TB coming out of college. Always thought he was a wee bit small in the frame for the NFL though. Didn't like his soccer act with LaMarcus in his rookie year though. That was a fake ass "concussion" if ever there was one. Zimmer's whiny ass made it even more of a sham.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Glowing reports is one thing, get back to me when he can "read Ds" in real games. Just my 2 cents tbh

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hope he makes it. As for whether a guy can supplant the projected starter, Kevin Green knows how that worked out for him in 1999...but then Warner experienced the opposite in New York.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Personally, I’d would LOVE Teddy as our backup over Mannion. Perhaps next year...

TexasRam

Legend
I never got the hype on Bridgewater honestly.

For a guy that never has thrown over 14 TD’s in a season he sure gets a lot of love.

Even Trent “ just don’t turn it over” Dilfer stumbled into a 20 TD year once upon season.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jets are hoping for a Teddy Bridgewater situation, where they can trade him to a team in need of an immediate starter.
I'd expect to see nothing but glowing reports all off/pre season....

…..

Legend
Not really a Teddy Brodgwater fan, but I am a fan of people and did not like the way the Vikings showed no loyalty. For that reason, and for the fluke gruesome injury he suffered, I'd like to see the kid get a fair shake for once.

After that, I probably still won't be a fan but I do root for the rise to greatness, overcome adversity, conquer your craft type stuff.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not really a Teddy Brodgwater fan, but I am a fan of people and did not like the way the Vikings showed no loyalty. For that reason, and for the fluke gruesome injury he suffered, I'd like to see the kid get a fair shake for once.

After that, I probably still won't be a fan but I do root for the rise to greatness, overcome adversity, conquer your craft type stuff.
Just curious, but how did they show no loyalty?

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Teddy can play , I can see him starting the year behind McCown, jets actually have a good qb room