Take It or Leave it – the ‘99 Rams Would Beat the ‘85 Bears + Mike Jones Interview

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
For that matter the 2001 Rams beat the Bears in a FAIR GAME.

Moostache

Rookie
The '85 Bears defense was light years better than '99 Tennessee (or any other defense the Rams faced that year, including Tampa). They were also far better than the '01 Patriots defense that cheated the Rams out of their second title. In '99 NFC championship game the Rams survived a slug-fest against Tampa, but that '85 Bears defense was again on a different level - especially in the playoffs.

Bears 21 Giants 0
Bears 24 Rams 0
Bears 46 Patriots 10 (and 3 came off a first possession fumble on the 20 with the other 7 in garbage time against the second team)

In the dome, the Rams would have had a puncher's chance to replicate the Miami gameplan that beat the Bears in '85...but outdoors, in the elements (which that Rams team never had to face) I think it could have been pretty ugly game - similar to the NFC title game but without Ricky Proehl's catch...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Like a few in here, 2001 would have a better shot...That 1985 Bear team would put a hurting on a QB...And shut down a running game....I know the 1999 teams Defense was good too, but the offense....would have had to seriously take care of the rock....

Alan

Legend
I think the average size of the players in 1985 and 1999 was significantly different. The Refrigerator (Perry) at 335lbs was considered to be a freak back then and he was. Not so much in 1999 though. Rams win easily.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
No way the Bears would be able to cover all the speed we had and stop Faulk.Not to mention we had a pretty good defense ourselves in 99 so IMHO we beat them.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's a game of match ups.

Look at how Denver struggled against our 6-10 Rams last year... We matched up well.

Look at how we always play the Seahawks tough... We match up well.

If the tuck rule didn't grant passage to the Patriots in 2001; we matched up well with the Raiders. Easily our 2nd SB win.

The Bears? I dunno. Never thought about it.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Like a few in here, 2001 would have a better shot...That 1985 Bear team would put a hurting on a QB...And shut down a running game....I know the 1999 teams Defense was good too, but the offense....would have had to seriously take care of the rock....
With Faulk, I don't think taking care of the rock would have been a problem!:D Warner could take the punishment, and get it to Bruce and Holt! Rams would Win 34-21!!:shades::banana::rockon::cheers:

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
Players in 1985 were smaller and probably a little slower. Can't really compare different eras. If they did play more than likely the Rams put up a 40 burger.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If they play in 1985, with 1985 rules, the Bears win easily.
If they play in 1999, with 1999 rules, the Rams win ... barely.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know fellas. That bears team was pretty darned good. For all the talk about the defense, which was the best I ever saw, their offense was pretty good too.
In fact, they were #2 in scoring that year with a killer run game featuring Walter Payton.
Mike Martz offense that allowed qb to get hit vs the 46 defense? Yeah, not a match up I'd be psyched about