SYG Mock 2.0

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Second and final version about one week out. Only one repeat pick from 1.0. Hopefully, it will bring up some players who haven't been discussed as much. As usual not projecting trades

2018 Mock Draft
3. Duke Ejiofor, EDGE, Wake Forrest

Ejiofor didn't play varsity football until his Junior year in high school, however, he is still one of the most technically proficient pass rushers in the draft. That tells me he is coachable and nowhere near close to reaching his immense potential. Also says something about his high school DL coach who also coached Obo Okoronkwo, who is also technically proficient as a pass rusher. Speaking of Okoronkowo I would love to have either him, Ejiofor, or Kemoko Turay at this spot. I have second round grades on all three, but they all could fall for different reasons. Back to Duke, besides being technically proficient as a rusher IMO he is an underrated athlete. Many scouting reports think Duke is exclusively a 4-3 end, but IMO he fits perfectly at the Will OLB spot in this scheme where he won't be asked to drop into coverage as much. Rams must agree since they brought him for a pre-draft visit. Many scouts thought Preston Smith couldn't play as 3-4 OLB, but our current LB coach Joe Barry and the skins drafted him to play OLB and he excelled. Ejifor has similar dimensions and just as is just as talented if not more. Duke is strong, has long arms, and has the burst to close to the QB. His hand use is so good lineman consistently cant get a hand on him in the run or the passing game. If he doesn't miss the pre-draft process because of labrum surgery, an injury he played through all season I don't think there is a chance he is available at this pick. Luckily for the Rams, his injury lets them get a prime pass rusher at this spot. Duke should be healed up by training camp where he should compete for a starting spot as a rookie.

4. Will Richardson, OT, NC State

(Richardson is #54 the RT)
Richardson has the talent to go much higher, but he has a DWI and a Marijuana suspension in his past. He also delt, with weight issues throughout college, but showed up in shape during the pre-draft process. Richardson looks like a long-term starting RT who can play LT in a pinch. He has decent movement skills and technically proficient for the most part. He played in zone heavy run scheme which will make his transition to the Rams offense easier. He rarely got beat in college, in fact Duke was one of the few linemen who beat him for a sack. I see him as the swing tackle off the bat and could be a starter at RG or RT next year depending on what happens with the contracts of the current starters on the right side of the OL.

4. Christian Sam, LB, Arizona State

Sam can really stack shed and get after the ball. He's got a good feel for playing the run and is usually instinctive dropping in zone. He is Not comfortable with playing a lot of man coverage yet, but he has upside to improve in that area since he is junior who only has 2 years of starting experience because of an injury. Seems like the Rams are looking to rotate their LBs depending on the situation, so Sam could get heavy reps on early downs early.

4. Leon Jacobs, EDGE, Wisconson

Jacobs is a physical specimen. His teammates call him Megatron because of his crazy physique and athleticism. He ran a blazing 4.48 at the combine and you see that speed on tape when he gets off the ball and bends around the edge. Jacobs is understandably raw since he played fullback and inside linebacker before making the transition as an edge rusher this season. However, you can see his former LB skills when he drops in coverage showing awareness in zone and decent man coverage ability. He is developing pass rush moves, but already has the speed, power, and bend to win as a pass rusher. Even though he is raw his versatility will allow him to fit into the OLB rotation right away. With more reps and development Jacobs has quality starter upside

6. Ito Smith, RB, Southern Miss

There aren't many RBs in the draft who can match Smith's production as a runner and receiver. He was the focal point of his offense and showed off his skills against SEC opponents. Even at his size, he is a solid pass blocker. His ability as a runner and receiver in space make him the perfect Gurley compliment and the Chris Thompson like back McVay has been looking for. He met with the Rams at the senior bowl and was brought in for a top 30 visit, so there is a lot of Rams interest.

6. Dejon Allen, OL, Hawaii
(Sorry no tape, it's freaking Hawaii lol)

Allen the local LA kid is the only repeat pick from 1.0. Allen has experience at guard and tackle, but at 6'2 300 he projects as a guard or even center in the NFL. His calling card is his movement skills, which fits perfectly into the Rams zone blocking scheme. He has some starter upside at center or guard, but at worst he can be an interior OL swing reserve.

6. Jacob Martin, EDGE, Temple

(Martin is #9 playing Right End and some NT)
Another Rams pre-draft visit who fits Wade's mold for an edge rusher. I can see him going way earlier in the range Ebukam went last year since they are smaller school prospects with similar elite athletic profiles. Temple gives single digit numbers to the toughest players on the team and Martin wore #9. Mainly an edge rusher, but at 6'2 240 he displayed that toughness with his reps at nose tackle. As a pass rusher, Martin has a good get off, active hands, and solid counter moves. He displayed top-notch athleticism at Temple's pro day with 4.59 40, 10'1 broad jump, and 6.9 three cone drill. Martin has the ability to be a core special teamer with situational rusher upside right away.

6. Damon Webb, DB, Ohio State

Webb has the versatile game Wade likes in his safeties. Webb is undersized, but he can play in the box, in the slot, or as a single high safety. The most impressive aspect of his game is his ability to click and close on the ball in the run and pass game. His calling card will be special teams initially and if he can show out there in the preseason he has a good chance to make the team and be a quality reserve for years to come.

2018 Depth Chart
QB: Goff, Mannion, Allen
RB: Gurley, Smith, Brown
XWR: Cooks, Thomas
ZWR: Woods, Reynolds
YWR: Kupp, Cooper, Austin
TE: Everett, Higbee, Hemmingway
LT: Whitworth, Williams
LG: Saffold, Allen
C: Sullivan, Blythe
RG: Brown
RT: Havenstein, Richardson

DE: Brockers, Fox
NT: Suh, Westbrooks
DT: Donald, Easley
SLB: Ebukam, Jacobs
MIKE: Littleton, Sam
MO: Barron, Hager
WLB: Ejiofor, Longacre, Martin
LCB: Peters, NRC, Peterson
RCB: Talib, Hill, Shields
FS: Joyner, Countess
SS: Johnson, Webb

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's an interesting mock. There are some guys whom I definitely like. However, while I like Ejiofor as a 4-3 SDE who can kick inside on passing downs (kind of like Michael Bennett), I don't see the guy as a 3-4 OLB at all. Preston Smith is a very athletic guy for his size; Ejiofor is not. You could play him there, but it feels like a bad fit to me. He's not going to be ever dropping into coverage, and I think he's a better pass rusher with his hand in the dirt. He's not a guy who attacks the edge, so playing him out wider (as a 3-4 OLB does) isn't a benefit to his game imo. Leon Jacobs is a guy I like. I'm actually curious about him as a 3-4 ILB in our scheme.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's an interesting mock. There are some guys whom I definitely like. However, while I like Ejiofor as a 4-3 SDE who can kick inside on passing downs (kind of like Michael Bennett), I don't see the guy as a 3-4 OLB at all. Preston Smith is a very athletic guy for his size; Ejiofor is not. You could play him there, but it feels like a bad fit to me. He's not going to be ever dropping into coverage, and I think he's a better pass rusher with his hand in the dirt. He's not a guy who attacks the edge, so playing him out wider (as a 3-4 OLB does) isn't a benefit to his game imo. Leon Jacobs is a guy I like. I'm actually curious about him as a 3-4 ILB in our scheme.

I think Duke is an underrated athlete, but teams don't get to test that assumption since he can't participate in pre-draft testing. On top of that, he may have the deepest arsenal of pass rush moves in the draft. Its not often that you see rushers at the college level who have a pass rush plan they adapt to the lineman in front of them. His Florida State tape is crazy he disrupted any play that came his way and chased other plays down from the backside. I agree he is probably better playing with his hand in the dirt, but I didn't see enough of him playing standing up on tape to say he definitely cant play standing up. He had more reps in space vs. Texas A&M where he dropped more including a really impressive play where he exploded into an RB catching a pass in the flat. That's why I think he can excel regardless of scheme. Additionally, the Rams play with 4 down lineman about 60% of the time so he will have plenty of opportunities to play in an alignment where he is more comfortable as he develops as a 3-4 OLB. IMO he has the moldable traits to play there and he is relatively new to football so there is a lot room for development. The Rams also brought him in for a top 30 visit, so they have some interest or must have an idea about how they would use him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This is about what I expect. Mostly names that I don't know much about. Hopefully some of them are real sleepers.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Haha Just when I thought I was the only one that like Ejiofor I see your mock! Nice! I really like him and unlike Jrry think he’ll be able to transition into our 3-4 scheme with some work within a few years.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Haha Just when I thought I was the only one that like Ejiofor I see your mock! Nice! I really like him and unlike Jrry think he’ll be able to transition into our 3-4 scheme with some work within a few years.

He has the best technique and array of moves and counter moves of any pass rusher I have studied this draft (granted haven't bothered studying Chubb. Glad the Rams demonstrated interest by bringing him in for a predraft visit. He and Kemoko Turay are my top 2 options in the third round barring an unforeseen fall by a top lineman like Tyrell Crosby or Frank Ragnow.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
He has the best technique and array of moves and counter moves of any pass rusher I have studied this draft (granted haven't bothered studying Chubb. Glad the Rams demonstrated interest by bringing him in for a predraft visit. He and Kemoko Turay are my top 2 options in the third round barring an unforeseen fall by a top lineman like Tyrell Crosby or Frank Ragnow.
Yeah but I haven't seen anywhere that he is a 3rd round draft pick. I've seen 4-5 and hopefully we can pick him up and nab some others with those first picks we have. I like book ending him and Holland together. Young, eager, cheap talent to go along wrecking and containing the devastation that's going to happen in the inside.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Without getting into your draft much, beyond that I didn’t like how a couple of the LBs seemed to get washed out of the play by college linemen who won’t be drafted, am I the only one who is noticing very few mocks with our picks being starters? I realize that we don’t have any ones or twos but in previous years, I think we would have had at least a couple of those pegged as starters. Just sayin that I think we are all looking at depth and hopefully a starter. Our roster is pretty fucking stacked and even though I think we all see a need for LB help, it’s pretty sweet to see a “need” being essentially one spot on the starting line up.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Richardson has the talent to go much higher, but he has a DWI and a Marijuana suspension in his past. He also delt, with weight issues throughout college, but showed up in shape during the pre-draft process. Richardson looks like a long-term starting RT who can play LT in a pinch.

I wouldn't gamble on Richardson, personally. If the Rams do, then it means they vetted the F out of him with good result, but IMO weight issues plus drug suspension is a terrible combo. I think that's a questionable pick SYG.

I'm not averse to them taking Duke, but I just don't have him that high. Guy like Okoronkwo, who you mentioned, is a far better fit for this defense. In this particular draft, in that round 3 range and if they go OLB, I would expect to get a guy whose film demonstrates he's a great fit with range and ability to set the edge. Duke might develop into what they want but he does come with a bit more question when I watch his film.

My fear is they reach for a project OT in round 3. I'd much rather see them start loading some backers starting there, be it an interior or edge guy. Even if they have to go up a bit into round 2 as far as I'm concerned do what you gotta do to get the guy who fits.

Not knockin your draft by the way, I really like the Jacobs and Smith picks. But IMO they need to be very careful to maximize their picks and avoid the kind of risk a guy like Richardson brings. Personally I question that dude's heart, and would hope they learned their lessons with their past OT whiffs.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
I'm not averse to them taking Duke, but I just don't have him that high. Guy like Okoronkwo, who you mentioned, is a far better fit for this defense. In this particular draft, in that round 3 range and if they go OLB, I would expect to get a guy whose film demonstrates he's a great fit with range and ability to set the edge. Duke might develop into what they want but he does come with a bit more question when I watch his film.

If Okoronkowo is there, which isn't a guarantee he would be a nice pick as well. Obo may be a better fit, but I don't think the gap is as large as you suggest. You don't need great range to set the edge. IMO Duke is an underrated athlete and has no issues setting the edge because of his length, power, and hand use. There is more than one way to get to the QB, every player isn't a speedy bend guy. I would rather have a guy like Duke who can get after the QB in multiple ways than a guy who plays like Quinn and utilizes nothing but an outside speed rush down after down. IMO Duke is one of the better pass rushers in this draft and I don't question his fit ina 3-4 as much as others do.

Personally I question that dude's heart, and would hope they learned their lessons with their past OT whiffs.

I don't have nearly enough information to question Richardson's heart. Maybe the Rams do, but I am just commenting on what I see on tape. I wouldn't group Richardson in with past rams busts like Jason Smith or Greg Robinson. From a technical standpoint, he is far more advanced than both of those guys were coming out of college. Those guys didn't have character issues, were incredibly raw, and for whatever reason could not live up to their potential. I'm not concerned about his most recent incident the marijuana suspension because it doesn't look like he will be in drug testing protocol, so he only gets tested once a year, which isn't hard to beat. From what I've read he has matured alot, so hopefully, the Rams vetting backs that up. Plus there is way less downside if you miss on a 4th round pick. If Richardson turns out just to be a solid swing tackle then spending a 4th round pick on him is well worth it IMO.