SYG 3.0... Killing Time Until Tomorrow

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
2017 NFL Draft
My favorite guys from version 1 and 2 plus some others who have impressed me along the way.

2. Gerald Everett, TE, South Alabama

I really like Engram and Everett, and I would be fine drafting either, but I give the slight edge to Everett. Both guys are elite athletes, but Everett is more physical as a blocker, more physical in contested situations, and more physical after the catch. Everett is an all around beast after the catch leading the TE position in broken tackles each of the last two seasons another area where Jordan Reed excels. When he played against higher level competition Everett excelled racking up 8 catches for 95 yards and the game winning TD against Mississippi State and 5 catches 103 yards and a touchdown against ranked at the time San Diego State. Is he a finished product? No, but neither was Jordan Reed who had a similar raw moldable skill set that McVay turned into a superstar. Early in his college career Reed was a wild cat QB because of his ability with the ball in his hands. Everett who has similar ability with the ball in his hands also played wild cat QB the past 2 years in addition to his TE duties. Could probably trade down a little and still get Everett, something I think is likely, but I am not projecting trades in this mock, so I'll just get my guy here.

3. Taywan Taylor, WR, Western Kentucky

This has been a popular pick from mainstream draft nicks, but I love Taylors game and he fits perfectly into McVay's goal of adding players who can create "explosives." Production is obviously eye popping finishing in the top 3 in all of college football in receiving yardage and receiving TDs in 2015 and 2016. Additionally, he is a big play threat leading college football with 26 40+ yard plays over the last 2 years. He can play inside and outside, but still fits the rams need for an outside WR with 1386 of his 1730 receiving yards coming as an outside WR. Athletically he improved his 33.5 vert to 38 inches at his pro day filling out an extremely well rounded athletic profile. His most impressive athletic trait is his short area quickness where he was .01 seconds slower than the fastest time at the combine regardless of position and .15 slower than the recent combine record. He used that quickness to consistently get off of press against Alabama when he has frequently lined up opposite projected first rounder Marlon Humphrey. Speaking of Bama he played really well against them and LSU over the past two years arguably the best secondaries in college football. The Rams have scouted Western Kentucky heavily the pass two years and Taylor has the added bonus of performing extremely well against Sneed's beloved SEC

4. Howard Wilson, CB, Houston

Popular pick on the board recently and I considered him and Shaq Griffin in version 2.0. McVay said one reason why Wade likes Kayvon Webster so much was his short area quickness. Wilson has elite short area quickness finishing tied for 5th among all combine participants in the three cone drill and 2nd among all participants in the short shuttle. He shows that quickness on tape breaking on the ball and sticking with his receivers. He needs to get stronger and is a little wirey right now, but thats why you have a strength and conditioning coach.Doesn't hurt that he played at Wade's alma matter.

4. Samson Ebukam, EDGE, Eastern Washington

Early? Maybe, but players with his athleticism and ability to rush the passer always go earlier than you think, so this a decent spot at the bottom of the 4th. Ebukam's teammate on the offensive side of the ball has gotten alot of love on this forum and Ebukam has gotten alot of love in NFL circles. Athletically he is extremely explosive running a 4.5 40, a 39 inch vert, and a 10'10 broad jump at his pro day. He is not just a great athlete he was productive with 15 tackles for loss and 9.5 sacks his senior year. His speed, athleticism, non stop motor, and a developing hand use make him a dangerous pass rusher. However, he also has alot experience dropping in coverage and looks smooth and aware in coverage.

5. Keion Adams, EDGE, Western Michigan

McVay said the Rams are looking for guys who can rush the passer and cover. Adams can definitely fits the former. He has a great first step, can bend, and is developing solid interior counter moves. His speed around the edge will be an asset right away as he develops his body in an NFL weight room so he can be more stout setting the edge.

6. Treyvon Hester, DL, Toledo

At his private workout put up numbers that would have put him among the best DL at the combine. He profiles at a penetrating NT who could also play some end. Fits well into Wade's scheme that requires alot of stunting, twisting, and slanting.

6. David Jones, S, Richmond

Jones is ball hawk and could be a good special teamer as he develops behind Mo and Joyner. Most likely will compete with Randolph, Marqui Christian, and others for the 4th safety spot.

7. Jylan Ware, OT, Alabama State

At 6'7 317 he has the requisite size Kroemer looks for in his lineman. He played in a run heavy scheme, but he is very athletic with great feet. He is obviously a developmental prospect, but at this stage of the draft he is someone worth developing.

2017 Depth Chart
QB: Goff, Mannion, Murray
RB: Gurley, Dunbar, Brown, Green
XWR: Woods, Thomas
ZWR: Taylor, Spruce
YWR: Tavon, Cooper
TE: Everett, Higbee, Harkey, Hemmingway
LT: Whitworth, Ware
LG: Saffold, Brown
C: Sulivan, Wichman
RG: Havenstein, Donnal
RT: Robinson,

LE: Easely, Westbrooks
NT: Brockers, Hester
RE: Donald, Walker
SOLB: Barwin, Ebukam
Mike: Ogltree, Forrest
Mo: Barron, Hager
WOLB: Quinn, Adams
LCB: Tru, Wilson
RCB: Webster, Robey-Coleman, Gaines
FS: Joyner, Davis
SS: Mo, Jones

Ram65

Legend
2. Gerald Everett, TE, South Alabama
Power and great balance for a big target. There really are good TE in this draft.

3. Taywan Taylor, WR, Western Kentucky

Tracked the ball with ease. Looked relaxed catching the ball. Question is can he play outside and beat press coverage? He looks a little lean.
4. Howard Wilson, CB, Houston

Can see that short area quickness.

So far it looks good.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
2Question is can he play outside and beat press coverage? He looks a little lean.

Bama tape has some pretty good examples of him beating press. He doesn't get the ball every time he beats bama's press coverage primarily early rounder Marlon Humphrey, but you see examples where he uses quickness to get off press.

Limey

Rookie
I hope you are right about Wichman or one of the other existing OL being able to play C. I have been assuming we would try to draft one for the future in the later rounds, but without the need to make the line calls in the new system you may well be right. After all, Kromer did a great job of converting Groy.

Ram65

Legend
Bama tape has some pretty good examples of him beating press. He doesn't get the ball every time he beats bama's press coverage primarily early rounder Marlon Humphrey, but you see examples where he uses quickness to get off press.

You know I have been learning from yours and other mocks posted. He did come from the slot more than not but, moved outside too. He did win some off the line. That was a good watch because he was up against Bama. He showed some quickness. Had some drops too.

Do I dare say if it's between Taylor and Gupp I would chose Gupp.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Question is can he play outside and beat press coverage? He looks a little lean.

He did come from the slot more than not but, moved outside too. He did win some off the line.
Check out this from PFF
https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-plenty-of-options-for-rams-to-get-an-outside-wr-in-the-draft/
outwr209.png

Taylor wins out wide....more than most. Can't believe the hype for Kupp....You'd take Kupp over Taylor? Reeally??? Why @Ram65

Nice mock @StealYoGurley ...need a center in there somewhere....but I really love the emphasis on "explosive" players...the kind McVay wants and Snead will get for him.

That skinny corner from Houston tho....meh...skinny guys on defense make me nervous.

Last edited: