Sure look's like the rams need Watkins

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OhioRam

Rookie
After the 49ers game.
Rams have no clear number one wr.
Givins drops everything
Quick still not sure what we have.
Bailey will be good along with Austin.
Watkins Is a must have,
Or Evans if he is your cup of tea

lockdnram21

Legend
i say let Quick and bailey finish this year starting getting most of the reps then if they dont cut it thrn lets get Watkins. if Watkins is gone get lee or a receiver in the 2nd. stay away from mike evans hes overrated

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
A big physical WR with sticky hands, doesnt have to be a burner. What yr is the Benjamin kid at FSU? Every time I try to catch that freshman QB, Benjamin looks like a stud, but I think hes only a freshman or maybe sophomore.

V3

Hall of Fame
I still don't understand how people can be okay with our WR corp. What we have isn't good enough for today's NFL. There isn't a #1 on this roster and none of them will ever be that. This team NEEDS a #1. It's not a luxury. It's a necessity. We have some solid pieces but they aren't #1's.

OhioRam

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yea Watkins is a must need....Rams need wr help big time.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I still don't understand how people can be okay with our WR corp. What we have isn't good enough for today's NFL. There isn't a #1 on this roster and none of them will ever be that. This team NEEDS a #1. It's not a luxury. It's a necessity. We have some solid pieces but they aren't #1's.

Givens and Pettis are clearly not good enough. The jury is still out on Quick, but we can't depend on him being good enough next year to be our WR1.

That leaves Tavon, who isn't a WR1, and Bailey who may be a good WR2 next year. They look like they can be solid pieces.

So, yeah. No clear WR1 on this team. And with ability to get the best WR1 in the draft, you take him. He can be a huge difference maker, especially when teamed up with TA and Bailey.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Depressing to think we still need to use a high draft pick on a WR. Damn!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Givens and Pettis are clearly not good enough. The jury is still out on Quick, but we can't depend on him being good enough next year to be our WR1.

That leaves Tavon, who isn't a WR1, and Bailey who may be a good WR2 next year. They look like they can be solid pieces.

So, yeah. No clear WR1 on this team. And with ability to get the best WR1 in the draft, you take him. He can be a huge difference maker, especially when teamed up with TA and Bailey.
I like the scenarios of Watkins and Quick on the outside and Bailey/Aunstin on the inside. That's a very balanced attack. Givens just doesnt out muscle anyone for the ball and struggles in traffic.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Depressing to think we still need to use a high draft pick on a WR. Damn!

You know what, I don't look at it that way. I look at it as adding a stud WR is never a bad thing. I don't think you can have enough of them in today's NFL. WR1's are not as easy to find as RBs or OLs.

The only WR that we have who has the physical talent to be a true WR1 is Quick. And to be honest, even if Quick was looking great I would have no problem drafting Watkins.

One huge error the Rams made in the early 2000's was never adding another quality WR1 to Bruce and Holt. You should just keep adding them. They are worth their weight in gold in today's NFL, and even more so in a dome.

So, it's not depressing at all. Even though Givens has been a major disappointment he was never going to be a true WR1. Cosell said Givens is what he always thought he was, a burner that can take the top off a defense. And without a QB who can get the ball deep accurately, Givens is a ghost.

duckhunter

Starter
I'm ready to fold and say maybe we need to go to WR early crowd.

That is unless the wind changes tomorrow.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Presently this receiver cadre has been highly disappointing ass we all know. Is it (A). the coaching or is it (B). the fact that this youthful group of high draft choices (1st,2nd,two 3rds & a 4th rounders) were just plain awful by Snead or it (C). still the youth element? Or is it (D). combination of all three? What ever it is it's will cause the Rams to have a good chance to loose every Sunday no matter who is throwing the ball.

The vastly over-hyped Jared Cook the most expensive Ram TE in Ram history can not fall into the youthful excuse. Cook IMO has been a seriously dismal UFA purchase with only a few glimpse into what Snead & Fisher sold us that he was. After week 13 of this season looks to me Snead & Fisher were sold a rotten bill of goods. Cook looks like a second string TE for most playoff contending NFL teams. Since this Big receiver is going to be around St Louis for a while providing us with his lackluster play I sure would buy some extra bottles of advanced maximum strength Maalox. I would also give TE McNeil some extra play the rest of the three games since Cook needs rest from his overloaded work schedule.

I see many ROD'mers saying Givens has been hurt all season. Is there any evidence other that he is slow and gimpy when seen dropping all these passes? Pettis & Givens look to be nothing more than 5th & 6th WR's to me. Both should have reduced work load from this point on & gone after 2014.

On the positive side Bailey & Quick may yet turn out as #2 & #3 wide outs with TA as the slot so there is some hope there yet. So Yes I agree that the Rams do not have anything close to a #1 wide out like a Boldin or Crabtree or a Vernon Davis nope not even close. Like other posters have said so I am in agreement @ the same time Snead & Fisher have done a very poor job in finding the Rams a top receiver in there two previous drafts & free agency's. Its a shame to have such disappointment with so many offensive draft picks.

I thinking that they are in need of a upgrade in the area of Receiver coach & Receiver talent evaluator. How can you miss on so many? The Rams look to be drafting around #11 to #15 with that second first round draft pick. This may be a good spot to target a number one type wide out.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So we have issues with drops and our solution is to draft Sammy Dropkins? :wink:

Personally, I'd grab Mike Evans.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I can't believe it. Jake Long out with a concussion and people are still talking about the need to draft a wide receiver.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
More than anything, I'm disappointed in Cook's play. Looks like a backup player, not the highly paid, cap eater he is! He does his job and others get open due to it!

duckhunter

Starter
Let's see. We've tried big guys, little guys, fast guys, speedy guys, fast and speedy guys, Appalachian State guys, basketball player guys. I know let's try discuss catcher guys or shot put catcher guys.

How about guys that can catch the ball? Look in the easy ones and snare the tough ones.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I can't believe it. Jake Long out with a concussion and people are still talking about the need to draft a wide receiver.
Right, so it must be something to it because I think most people realize the Rams still need more OL help.

V3

Hall of Fame
You know what, I don't look at it that way. I look at it as adding a stud WR is never a bad thing. I don't think you can have enough of them in today's NFL. WR1's are not as easy to find as RBs or OLs.

The only WR that we have who has the physical talent to be a true WR1 is Quick. And to be honest, even if Quick was looking great I would have no problem drafting Watkins.

One huge error the Rams made in the early 2000's was never adding another quality WR1 to Bruce and Holt. You should just keep adding them. They are worth their weight in gold in today's NFL, and even more so in a dome.

So, it's not depressing at all. Even though Givens has been a major disappointment he was never going to be a true WR1. Cosell said Givens is what he always thought he was, a burner that can take the top off a defense. And without a QB who can get the ball deep accurately, Givens is a ghost.

I agree with the bolded which is why I was a little mad when Snead said last year in an interview prior to the draft that he wasn't looking for a big WR because they already had Quick. Even if Quick was a stud, he shouldn't stop looking at other big WR's. Just look at Atlanta or Chicago. I don't think they're complaining about having two giant WR's that can rarely, if ever, be shut down.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
So we have issues with drops and our solution is to draft Sammy Dropkins? :wink:

Personally, I'd grab Mike Evans.

How does Watkins drop rate compare to Evans?

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I was able to find this excerpt. I did not read the entire article but it is posted for those who may want to do so.

http://secondroundstats.com/2013/11/06/2014tier1wr/

Miscellaneous stats

• We have to talk about drops. Typically a wide receiver should drop no higher than 7% of his passes. That’s about average for college wide receivers. Anything higher is a red flag to me.
    • Cooks: 4.17%
    • Watkins: 5.71%
    • Matthews: 10.71%
  • A large percentage of Cooks’ receptions come in the red zone. Nearly 25% of his receptions and 12.5% of his yardage has come near the goal line. This will also naturally limit Cooks’ YAC. Matthews and Watkins each average about 15% of receptions in the RZ and 6% of yardage.
  • Nearly 64% of Cooks’ total yardage has come on first down. Watkins’ receptions are extremely well distributed with 33% on each of the first three downs.
  • None of their QBs have missed the wide receivers at a prolific rate. Unlike Patterson, Hunter, and Wheaton who were recipients of poor QB play when targeted last year. However, Matthews has received nearly 42% of all of Vanderbilt’s passes. The highest