CAMP REPORT Sun Aug-05 Camp Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
7AF56E99-C3D6-4E1A-B08D-1580B18DABF1.jpeg

https://www.therams.com/news/10-observations-from-day-8-of-training-camp

10 Observations from Day 8 of Training Camp

1) Los Angeles began Saturday’s practice with special teams drills, particularly working on kickoffs and kick returns. While it’s hard to tell exactly how different the play will look watching from the sideline, it is noticeable when the kickoff team doesn’t move until the ball is hit off the tee. And for the return team, having only three players back — usually two to block, one to return — is unfamiliar as well.

2) The Rams’ offense began practice working on misdirection plays. There was play action, jet sweeps, reverses — anything you can probably think of, the offense was likely running it. The plays weren’t done against air, as offensive players were lined up on the other side of the line of scrimmage.

3) During individual drills, Los Angeles’ offensive linemen and tight ends were partnered upworking one-on-one for certain techniques. Run game coordinator/offensive line coach Aaron Kromer would work down the line to indicate each duo should act as if the ball was just snapped to run a certain play/blocking technique. It was an efficient way of making sure each lineman received significant practice reps.

4) Also during individual drills, at one point head coach Sean McVay went up to wide receiver Robert Woods to demonstrate a top on technique for exactly how he wanted a route to be run. That’s not uncommon for McVay, who also spends plenty of time covering routes during individual drills in practice. He also is a former collegiate wide receiver.

5) As you may or may not have heard, quarterback Jared Goff had one of his best practices in a Rams uniform on Saturday. The third-year signal-caller began to shine during one-on-one drills with wide receivers and cornerbacks. He connected with Brandin Cooks, Cooper Kupp, and Woods on three consecutive passes against Marcus Peters, Nickell Robey-Coleman, and Aqib Talib, respectively. On the second go-round of reps, Cooks used his considerable speed to get off the line and past Peters — who is not easy to shake at all.

6) At the start of 11-on-11 drills, Los Angeles turned up the music on the field in order to mimic crowd noise. The first-team defense was first up against the scout-team offense. With strong fan support anticipated at the Coliseum in 2018, the Rams’ defense will likely often have to communicate through a lot of noise to be successful. That’s a good problem to have.

7) The music stayed fairly loud for the offense’s first turn in 11-on-11, where Goff continued to spin it quite well. He began the period with two strong passes to Cooks — the first an anticipation throw on a skinny post in a tight window. Goff then connected with Woods with a laser on 3rd-and-long, putting it over the second-level defenders and right into the wideout’s hands. And he finished the drive with a long pass down the left sideline to Kupp for what would’ve been a touchdown. That throw was particularly impressive, going right into the bread basket.

8) As a subsequent 11-on-11 period began, Goff repeatedly pointed to the sky to indicate he wanted the music to be louder before he entered the huddle. It became hard for even reporters to speak to one another on the sidelines. But Goff wanted the challenge and delivered more strong throws, connecting with Woods, Gurley, and Kupp for touchdown passes. The offense was using a silent snap count as well.

9) Goff began a two-minute drill with a pair of passes to Woods, easily moving into opponent territory. The quarterback would connect with Woods on the right sideline two more times, before delivering a strike in stride to Kupp on a crossing route. The accurate ball placement allowed the Eastern Washington product to run into the end zone for six.

10A) Los Angeles practiced two end-of-game scenarios toward the end of practice. On offense, the objective was to gain a first down in order to salt the clock an ostensibly win the game. The unit was able to do so with two Gurley runs, and then a bootleg pass from Goff to tight end Johnny Mundt for a first down.

The defense had to prevent a two-minute drill from ending up in the end zone. Coordinator Wade Phillips’ side of the ball was able to do so when safety Blake Countess intercepted a Sean Mansion pass in the back of the end zone on 4th-and-goal from the 10.

10B) The Rams ended Saturday’s session with a compete period, with the first-team offense and first-team defense going in 11-on-11. Though the offense had a pair of negative plays to start, Goff sidestepped the rush collapsing the pocket to fire off a pass to Cooks as he was going into the end zone for a touchdown. It was a fitting end to a fine passing day for Goff.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lindsey Thiry
http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/lar/los-angeles-rams

After eight practices, the Rams will now travel to Baltimore to practice against the Ravens for a couple of day ahead of their preseason matchup on Thursday. Safety Lamarcus Joyner has sat out two consecutive practices because of a sore Achilles, but will travel and is expected to practice against the Ravens. Tight end Gerald Everett and outside linebacker Matt Longacre will remain in L.A., as they nurse a shoulder sprain and tweaked bicep, respectively.

———

Day 8 of Rams Camp, another practice in full pads, and Jared Goff had arguably his best workout. "He was sharp today," Sean McVay said. "Definitely you felt that he was in total command." During 11-on-11, Goff connected down the sideline with Cooper Kupp for a touchdown, later he saw Robert Woods in space to complete a short pass that Woods took about 20 yards for a touchdown. Goff also completed an impressive throw to Brandin Cooks in the back of the end zone over Sam Shields. The music blared, and Goff motioned to pump it up. It was clear the third-year QB was having a day.

———

Quote of the day on Day 8 of Rams training camp, courtesy of Brandin Cooks, who was asked what it's been like transitioning from Bill Belichick to Sean McVay, who the reporter said was "More of a players's coach": "I think Coach Belichick is a player's coach as well. But I think coming over here, Coach McVay is young, lot of energy, you know he's running around. Bill's not going to be running around with us. But that's because he's been in the game so long. But at the end of the day, two great coaches, got their own styles."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.therams.com/news/quotes-notes-8-4-18-jared-goff-goes-off-suh-ready-for-ravens

Quotes & Notes 8/4/18: Jared Goff Goes Off, Suh Ready for Ravens
  • Goff seemed to be firing on all cylinders on Saturday. In a two-minute drill, Goff executed near perfectly with rapper Jay Rock’s, ‘WIN’ blaring over the large speakers surrounding the UC Irvine practice field. Goff hit wide receiver Robert Woods essentially three consecutive times (with a non-contact “sack” mixed in) on the sideline, stopping the clock.
  • Goff also hit second-year wideout Cooper Kupp with an absolutely perfect deep ball up down the left sideline for a touchdown, placing the ball out of surrounding defenders’ reach.
  • Quarterback Jared Goff and Cooks seem to be getting used to one another. On Saturday, Goff and Cooks connected several times throughout practice, most notably when Cooks got the best of corner Marcus Peters in consecutive reps during 1-on-1 drills.
  • The Rams extended Cooks’ contract the week before players reported to training camp in Irvine — well before Cooks will play a single down in Los Angeles.
  • It is clear general manager Les Snead and head coach Sean McVay saw promise in Cooks. Immediately following Cooks signing the extension, McVay called Cooks a “class act on and off the field.”
  • “He’s a proven professional in this league and signing him to a long-term contract was always our goal. We’re excited to keep Brandin in a Rams uniform through 2023,” McVay said.
  • Suh has lost to the Ravens in back-to-back seasons from 2016-17.
  • In those two regular-season games, Suh recorded four total tackles and did not record a sack.
  • Suh and many of the Rams’ top guys are not expected to play much —if at all — in next Thursday’s matchup in Baltimore. However the entire team is set to participate in combined practices with the Ravens from Monday to Wednesday.
  • While camp has been, for the most part, a healthy one, McVay addressed his short list of injured players following Saturday afternoon’s practice.
  • McVay indicated that Everett will not be ready to go against Baltimore, but Joyner will make the trip and is expected to practice on Monday.
  • Joyner is expected to be a critical piece of the Rams’ deep secondary this season. In 2017, Joyner tallied three interceptions and 39 tackles at safety in 12 games.
  • McVay said outside linebacker Matt Longacre will not travel next week, to continue rehabbing his injured bicep.
He [quarterback Jared Goff] was sharp today. I thought he had really good command — everything we did today was kind of unscripted — different situations forcing these guys to think, work on a play clock, and work with the noise. I thought there was a couple times where I got the play in really late and he did a good job recognizing — kind of speeding up the tempo huddle, how we broke it and got up and got set. But that was impressive — it’s about stringing those days together, but it is practice, we got a lot of good work in, and there’s still going to be stuff that we can always clean up. You definitely felt that he was in total command and he was really sharp today.”-HEAD COACH SEAN McVAY

“Just connecting on those timing routes is huge for us. For me catching it from him — for me running the actual route, just getting on the same page — knowing where he likes to put the ball and me really just adjusting to that.” -WR BRANDIN COOKS

“It speaks wonders now to now just go out there and play football. I think a lot of guys when you get that [contract extension], you go out there and play harder. You know you have that security — your health and whatnot, so you just lay it all out there because the team believes so high in you.”-WR BRANDIN COOKS

“Ultimately, knowing the Ravens and playing them umpteen amount of times — and we had some terrible losses against them the last two years when I was in Miami. But more importantly, I look forward to the ability and pleasure to go against a guy named [Ravens’ guard] Marshall Yanda, a guy that I have the ultimate respect for and love going against each and every opportunity that I get a chance to go against him.”-DL NDAMUKONG SUH

“So with [tight end] Gerald [Everett] — he’s got a shoulder sprain. You guys see him out here, he’s got a little splint — we’re going to be smart with him. He’ll probably be doing rehab and different things like that for the next week or so — and then as far as with [safety] Lamarcus [Joyner], his achilles is just sore. We are being smart with him, but we expect him to be ready to go in practice against Baltimore.”-HEAD COACH SEAN McVAY

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So with Longacre out against the Ravens the new Ram depth chart on their site lists Ejuan Price, Trevon Young and Brian Womac as the backups at the "Will" position, I'm sure Lawler and newly signed veteran Ryan Davis could play too, but they list those two behind Ebukam at the OLB position.

Great opportunity for Price, who with additions might have been given up for dead. At Pittsburgh Price could flat out rish the passer, but struggled with durability and I'm not sure if he can hold the edge in run support. I want to get a long look at Trevon Young, who is much taller than Price at 6'4 vs 5'11 and before his hip injury at Louisville was a stud and seemed to be coming back into his own at the end of his senior campaign.