St. Louis Rams Position Analysis: Defensive Line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
STAN McNEAL
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/nfl/st-louis-rams/story/St-Louis-Rams-Position-Analysis-Defensiv?blockID=920003&amp;feedID=3713" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.foxsportsmidwest.com/nfl/st- ... eedID=3713</a>

698333.jpg

Last year: If the defensive line wasn't the Rams' strongest unit a year ago, it was 1A to the linebackers. The Rams improved from 31st to 15th in run defense, giving up 117.5 yards per game, and they finished tied for first in sacks (52). As for an encore, all the key players return and are expected to enter training camp healthy.

Coach: Long-time NFL assistant Mike Waufle returns for his second year with the Rams, and again will be assisted by Clyde Simmons, a two-time first-team All-Pro during a 15-year playing career that ended in 2000. Waufle, a Super Bowl champion when as assistant with the Giants, enters his 16th season as a D-line coach.

Three questions:

1. What's new?

Well, sacks leader Chris Long was married and restructured his contract to give the Rams some needed cap space. Plus, backup end William Hayes scored a three-year contract to return to St. Louis. Other than that, not a whole lot has happened since we last saw the Rams' front four enjoy a strong 2012.

All the starters and key backups are back and, given the relative youth of the group, still should be improving. The Rams did not draft a defensive lineman, and none of the four undrafted free agents the team signed merited special recognition during OTAs.

2. Is Robert Quinn ready to upstage Long as the sacks leader?

Quinn is coming hard after finishing his second season with 10½ sacks, more than doubling his total of five from his rookie season. Long, who finished with 11½ sacks, saw his total decrease slightly after recording 13 sacks in 2011.

Lining up as the right end, Quinn must match up against the opposition's best offensive lineman but, because of that, he could see fewer double teams. Quinn is considered more of a playmaker than Long, but the veteran Long is a relentless rusher and, to this point, has proven more durable. Their quest for sacks should lead to a spirited in-house competition. No matter who ends up with the most, both will be expected to finish in double figures again.

3. Will Michael Brockers step up?

Absolutely, the 320-plus-pound tackle should be better in his second season. He pretty much lived up to expectations in his rookie season considering a high-ankle sprain that cost him the first month of the season.

Brockers, in fact, should not be counted out in the race for the team sacks lead. He plays on the inside and last year made his biggest mark in stuffing the run game, but the 2012 first-round pick can rush the passer, too. He had four sacks in his rookie season, three of them coming in the second half of the season.

Quote: "We expect the same type of results. That's the strength of our defense, those guys up front. We have depth. We're going to keep it going. Those guys chase the ball and play with great effort." -- Defensive coordinator Tim Walton in the final week of OTAs

What others are saying: "The defense is legit and will only get more brawny with another year of Jeff Fisher's mentoring. They have playmakers, are well-equipped to deal with the read-option schemes they see, and they will turn teams over and get after the quarterback. -- CBS Sports NFL insider Jason La Canfora, in naming the Rams as a surprise team for 2013

Bottom line: The Rams' offense will enter camp with all kinds of questions, but the team has high expectations and the defense is considered sound. The No. 1 reason is a defensive line that knows how to pressure the passer. The next step to becoming an elite group is continued improvement against the run.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
CBS Sports NFL insider Jason La Canfora, in naming the Rams as a surprise team for 2013

I like Jason... :sly:

Okay, seriously... no way Brockers is in the sack race on this team. I love Brockers and I think he's a man-beast... but sacks are a bonus... clogging the run lanes is what I want.

jap

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
CBS Sports NFL insider Jason La Canfora, in naming the Rams as a surprise team for 2013

Okay, seriously... no way Brockers is in the sack race on this team. I love Brockers and I think he's a man-beast... but sacks are a bonus... clogging the run lanes is what I want.

I don't know. The Incredible Brock seems to be in the super DT stud category to me. He played on a bad ankle last season. This year, with healthy legs and more seasoning with rush techniques, he may take off. I don't think he will lead the team in sacks, but I do think he may very well turn out to be the key player on the DL - the one who frees up his Dl-mates for more one-on-one match ups and less double-teaming.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
jap said:
CGI_Ram said:

I don't know. The Incredible Brock seems to be in the super DT stud category to me. He played on a bad ankle last season. This year, with healthy legs and more seasoning with rush techniques, he may take off. I don't think he will lead the team in sacks, but I do think he may very well turn out to be the key player on the DL - the one who frees up his Dl-mates for more one-on-one match ups and less double-teaming.

Yeah - it may be that his ability to close that pocket from the inside is the actual reason he doesn't end up with the sack lead. Those incredible numbers of hurries that Long forces could very well become at least a few more sacks. I think Long leads the team again in sacks. Brockers gives him that edge so there is no step up to avoid the relentless motor. Watch out QBs - you can run (Kap, Wilson, Cam) but you CANNOT hide. The St Louis Seven is gonna eat you.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
I can't find anything any of you guys said that I disagree with (although I tried :lol: ). The only thing that concerns me about this line is Quinn's inability to stop the run (that was possibly an overstatement) which we've already talked about in different thread. It's by far the best D-line the Rams have had since I started watching them. :zomg: :dancin: