Special Teams. . . Fassell

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I have been more impressed this year with our special teams.

I am not trying to be controversial with this topic.

I was watching Lions/Cowboys yesterday and I noticed that Fassell had a totally different way of lining up for the new kick off.

I have not noticed any other team do this particular way of lining up.

Rather than having two guys back to receive the ball. . . it was just one guy - with the other staggered closer to the blockers. Multiple times this player ran like it was a revere on the kick return - once allowing a huge return because it froze the tackler.

I do miss Fassell and his creativity.

Wondering if anyone else has noticed this? Are other teams also doing so and I just haven't noticed?

Having the "extra" return man so close to line of scrimmage makes a blocking mismatch as well. Extra blocker.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It is ironic that McVay got rid of a teams coach who is the creative type he hasn't had much luck finding since. I get the firing still. But damn.

If I had to guess... Frost was brought in to not just help gameplan, but also to track league trends each week and help them stay up to date on what teams are doing on returns. Given that there was no way to know what may emerge from this significant rule change.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I’m just not a Chase Blackburn fan at all.Inguess he did find Ethan Evens ? Karty was a nice draft pick as well.Don’t know what part of any of those draft picks Les Snead & Mcvay played in the evaluation?

Bones goes back a long way as a Rams coach.He was such a Team(s) guy he became HC before Sean Mcvay was hired.He brought him back & his time(presents) sort of ran out.He became to big a voice & Mcvay as a Young New HC needed to bring in his quote unquote guys.

The energy that Bones brought to practice was always FUN to watch.He would run drills with the players.I think he was a Ram Day 1 with Snead & Fisher.That year they drafted Greg the Leg & signed UDRFA Johnny Hekker.

That Seahag game on the run with Austin & Bailed for a TD comes to mind amongst other plays of reverse threats.I guess in away we were spoiled.He was enervated and kept ahead of the game ?

I was in this club at the end of last season.(before)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Coach Joe D’ helped win The Rams a Super Bowl & special teams was a Big Part of that.He brought good energy.Finding Powell weather Stafford played a role helped turn the return game around in season.

Malcom Brown & others (Nick Scott a Bones finding), & others like Hoecht brought a good confidence. I think Jalen Ramsey would be part of the punt return?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams special teams this year has been vastly improved. Not sure why the persistent pining over Bones. He’s gone and with good reason. We not me applies to coaches as well as players

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This whole Kick return thing really hasn’t brought any excitement.I remember when Bones had Excellent Return games bringing some if Guys back to create some pretty awesome walls.There was some Big Hitting that went on.

I saw Tavon Austin run over 6 TD’s back only to have them be called back. Went to a Chargers/Rams away game. I got into Tavon’s head.He ran it back late in the game which would have been the go ahead TD.

The interesting thing was they only brought it back like 10 or 20 yards if I recall right ??? That was when they lost the game on 4th down & time ran out.He was a beautiful return guy.Never got the respects or stats he deserved.

Fishers teams were always penalized a lot.Was any of that on Bones on Special teams ? You take the good with the Bad. He was also handed one of The Best LONG SNAPPERS in NFL History IMO!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rams special teams this year has been vastly improved. Not sure why the persistent pining over Bones. He’s gone and with good reason. We not me applies to coaches as well as players
I don’t think it was that,but totally agree that his time with Sean Mcvay needed to come to an End.He was more of a Kevin Demoff hire to go with Wade Phillips.
Mcvay needed the training wheels off.

IMO that Arizona loss & the way it ended was The End for both Wade & Bones.That Fake punt on like the 25 yard line.The defensive rotation with AD99 the week before against the 9ers. The Rams should have made The Playoffs!!!

This season is ON SEAN MCVAY though.His NEW OFFICE must have Changed Him & his Magic!

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I liked Bones, but it is not lost on me that when our ST is really good, the team as a whole generally, is not.