Spagnuolo won't 'go there' about job security

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Steve Korte
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bnd.com/2011/11/22/1951649/spagnulo-wont-go-there-about-job.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bnd.com/2011/11/22/1951649/s ... t-job.html</a>

ST. LOUIS -- With his team 2-8 and eliminated from the NFC West race, St. Louis Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo fielded a couple of questions about his job security during his press conference on Monday.

Asked if he felt like the team needed to show something over the final six games for there not to be a coaching change at the end of the season, Spagnuolo said, "I don't go there only because I don't do the six-week deal. I don't go that far into the future. It's just this game. I just know that's how I operate in this business. The good Lord takes care of the rest."

Asked if he has been in touch with Rams owner Stan Kroenke, Spagnuolo said, "When I get an opportunity I visit with Stan, but I don't bother him. We're here pounding away. He's very supportive. Every time I see him ... I love him. He was in the locker room I think it was back in Arizona. I love having him around. I've got a great deal of respect for him. He knows we're here pounding away."

Spagnuolo's job status has become a topic with the Rams are out of contention for the NFC West title before Thanksgiving.

The Rams mathmatically have no chance of catching the San Francisco 49ers, who have a 9-1 record, in the NFC West. And, they haven't even played the 49ers yet.

The Rams rank 30th in the NFL in offense, 32nd in points scored.

The Rams have scored 10 touchdowns from scrimmage in 10 games. They hit that one-touchdown-a-game quota during their 24-7 loss to the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday.

"It's widespread,'' Spagnuolo said of the offensive problems. " It's all 11 positions. It's not one person, it's not one position.''

How bad are the Rams offensively? Consider this:

* Punter Donnie Jones leads the NFL in attempts with 66.

* Three players -- Philadelphia's LeSean McCoy, Detroit's Calvin Johnson and Minnesota's Adrian Peterson -- have scored more touchdowns than the Rams' offense.

* The 1998 Rams with Tony Banks at quarterback and June Henley at running back scored almost double the touchdowns (29) they're on pace to score this season.

Spagnuolo said he felt like the Rams had enough talent to be productive on offense.

"Yeah, we've got guys out there that can make plays,'' Spagnuolo said. "We've got to get it to the playmakers, we've got to have time to get it to the playmakers.''

Injuries have taken a major toll on the Rams' offensive line, where left tackle Mark LeVoir became the latest casualty. LeVoir will be lost for 2 to 4 weeks due to a pectoral muscle injury.

Kevin Hughes, who had never played in an NFL game and was a member of the team's practice squad a day earlier, was thrown into the fire after LeVoir went down against the Seahawks.

Hughes gave up a couple of sacks and looked badly overmatched against Seattle's Chris Clemons.

"You're talking about a guy that got zero reps during the week,'' Spagnuolo said. "What I told him coming out of the locker room was use those number of plays as a foundation to build on. Now he knows the speed of the game, so he'll just build on that."

Spagnuolo said the Rams will be looking to add another offensive tackle this week.

In other injury news, middle linebacker James Laurinaitis was having an MRI on his foot after complaining of soreness on Monday.

Defensive tackle Justin Bannon (shoulder), linebacker Josh Hull (hamstring) and cornerback Marquis Johnson (abdominal contusion) also were lining up at the MRI machine.

Cormernack Justin King (knee) had an MRI that showed no structural damage.

Tight end Lance Kendricks has a mild concussion and wide receivers Mark Clayton and Austin Pettis have sore knees.

The Rams will play the Arizona Cardinals (3-7) this Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome. Their final five opponents have a composite record of 35-15.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Jim Thomas asked a question about the conditioning. Spags said that that was one of the things they talked about in the offseason with Reggie and Rock. Maybe the team needs to lay the heat instead of taking it? How many team's players have we put on IR this year? I cannot think of any.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
X said:
Steve Korte
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bnd.com/2011/11/22/1951649/spagnulo-wont-go-there-about-job.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bnd.com/2011/11/22/1951649/s ... t-job.html</a>

ST. LOUIS -- With his team 2-8 and eliminated from the NFC West race, St. Louis Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo fielded a couple of questions about his job security during his press conference on Monday.

Asked if he felt like the team needed to show something over the final six games for there not to be a coaching change at the end of the season, Spagnuolo said, "I don't go there only because I don't do the six-week deal. I don't go that far into the future. It's just this game. I just know that's how I operate in this business. The good Lord takes care of the rest."

Asked if he has been in touch with Rams owner Stan Kroenke, Spagnuolo said, "When I get an opportunity I visit with Stan, but I don't bother him. We're here pounding away. He's very supportive. Every time I see him ... I love him. He was in the locker room I think it was back in Arizona. I love having him around. I've got a great deal of respect for him. He knows we're here pounding away."

Spagnuolo's job status has become a topic with the Rams are out of contention for the NFC West title before Thanksgiving.

The Rams mathmatically have no chance of catching the San Francisco 49ers, who have a 9-1 record, in the NFC West. And, they haven't even played the 49ers yet.

The Rams rank 30th in the NFL in offense, 32nd in points scored.

The Rams have scored 10 touchdowns from scrimmage in 10 games. They hit that one-touchdown-a-game quota during their 24-7 loss to the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday.

"It's widespread,'' Spagnuolo said of the offensive problems. " It's all 11 positions. It's not one person, it's not one position.''

How bad are the Rams offensively? Consider this:

* Punter Donnie Jones leads the NFL in attempts with 66.

* Three players -- Philadelphia's LeSean McCoy, Detroit's Calvin Johnson and Minnesota's Adrian Peterson -- have scored more touchdowns than the Rams' offense.

* The 1998 Rams with Tony Banks at quarterback and June Henley at running back scored almost double the touchdowns (29) they're on pace to score this season.

Spagnuolo said he felt like the Rams had enough talent to be productive on offense.

"Yeah, we've got guys out there that can make plays,'' Spagnuolo said. "We've got to get it to the playmakers, we've got to have time to get it to the playmakers.''

Injuries have taken a major toll on the Rams' offensive line, where left tackle Mark LeVoir became the latest casualty. LeVoir will be lost for 2 to 4 weeks due to a pectoral muscle injury.

Kevin Hughes, who had never played in an NFL game and was a member of the team's practice squad a day earlier, was thrown into the fire after LeVoir went down against the Seahawks.

Hughes gave up a couple of sacks and looked badly overmatched against Seattle's Chris Clemons.

"You're talking about a guy that got zero reps during the week,'' Spagnuolo said. "What I told him coming out of the locker room was use those number of plays as a foundation to build on. Now he knows the speed of the game, so he'll just build on that."

Spagnuolo said the Rams will be looking to add another offensive tackle this week.

In other injury news, middle linebacker James Laurinaitis was having an MRI on his foot after complaining of soreness on Monday.

Defensive tackle Justin Bannon (shoulder), linebacker Josh Hull (hamstring) and cornerback Marquis Johnson (abdominal contusion) also were lining up at the MRI machine.

Cormernack Justin King (knee) had an MRI that showed no structural damage.

Tight end Lance Kendricks has a mild concussion and wide receivers Mark Clayton and Austin Pettis have sore knees.

The Rams will play the Arizona Cardinals (3-7) this Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome. Their final five opponents have a composite record of 35-15.

Good Lord, does anything else have to be said?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
How is Stan going to sell 2012 season tickets next year if he brings this coaching staff back? Purely from a business and marketing perspective, what will he have to sell the fans if he doesn't make major changes?

As I see it, this FO is forcing Stan's hand. He'll need something to give to the marketing staff so that they can sell hope to the fans, and I simply don't see how he does that by keeping the status quo.

Anonymous

interference said:
How is Stan going to sell 2012 season tickets next year if he brings this coaching staff back? Purely from a business and marketing perspective, what will he have to sell the fans if he doesn't make major changes?

As I see it, this FO is forcing Stan's hand. He'll need something to give to the marketing staff so that they can sell hope to the fans, and I simply don't see how he does that by keeping the status quo.

You're right and the answers are not pleasant. I'm sick of seeing the same topic every couple of years. In Stan I Trust.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
interference said:

That's the trump card right there. I've often said that Spags could very well be a victim of circumstance.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
squeaky wheel said:
Selassie I said:
This team needs an enema :hehe:

Better talk with SJ first:

I hate this Mac....wish my dinosaur didn't die. :grr:
Raise your hand if you'd tell Jackson anything negative at this point.

:peek:

You didn't get a NEW computer, did you? Say it ain't so.

cfin5256

Rookie
X said:
squeaky wheel said:
Selassie I said:

I wouldn't even tell SJ that his dinner was gonna be late at this point :shock:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
cfin5256 said:
That video I posted could put the fear of God in ya. When he bit down on his lip and opened his eyes real wide, that was the point of no return right there. If that reporter had said, "well, you appear to be tanking it", the next thing you would've seen would have been a blur, and a lot of screaming that sounded like it was coming from a woman.

Anonymous

X said:
squeaky wheel said:
Selassie I said:

I was trying to copy and paste a quote from SJ in 2008 about his enematic experience and this throughly pinko puter won't let me. Being a cheap bastard I'm using whats on hand, the kids computer. I'm hoping the dinosaur can grow a new neural net and save me from this laptop hell. :grr:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
squeaky wheel said:
X said:
squeaky wheel said:
Selassie I said:

I was trying to copy and paste a quote from SJ in 2008 about his enematic experience and this throughly pinko puter won't let me. Being a cheap bastard I'm using whats on hand, the kids computer. I'm hoping the dinosaur can grow a new neural net and save me from this laptop hell. :grr:
Sorry to hear that. I recently threw away a semi-old Dell laptop (5 years old) because it had a cracked screen. I should have sent it to you so that you could just go find a new one somewhere for $8.93. I do things the complete opposite as you do them. If it's broke, get a new one.

cfin5256

Rookie
X said:
cfin5256 said:
That video I posted could put the fear of God in ya. When he bit down on his lip and opened his eyes real wide, that was the point of no return right there. If that reporter had said, "well, you appear to be tanking it", the next thing you would've seen would have been a blur, and a lot of screaming that sounded like it was coming from a woman.

That's what I was referring to; someone needs to 'leak' it to SJ that the Card's D is accusing him of tanking on purpose. That could get ugly. :mrgreen:

Anonymous

X said:
squeaky wheel said:
X said:
squeaky wheel said:
Selassie I said:

Sorry to hear that. I recently threw away a semi-old Dell laptop (5 years old) because it had a cracked screen. I should have sent it to you so that you could just go find a new one somewhere for $8.93. I do things the complete opposite as you do them. If it's broke, get a new one.

That's definitely opposite of me. I always try fixing first, then letting it set awhile on the back burner until I get some inspiration as to what to try next. Usually the answer is so cheap or moronic it's a DUH! moment that I'd hate to have to pay to be told. That's pretty much on everything too. I'll never forget the wife telling me not to mess with the washing machine because she's already got the repairman on the way. He takes out two screws on the control panel, snaps off a retaining ring and blows out a small plug of dust, snaps on the ring and replaces the two screws. 4 minutes, $65. That was 15 years ago. Squeaky has been traumatized ever since. :lmao:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
squeaky wheel said:
That's definitely opposite of me. I always try fixing first, then letting it set awhile on the back burner until I get some inspiration as to what to try next. Usually the answer is so cheap or moronic it's a DUH! moment that I'd hate to have to pay to be told. That's pretty much on everything too. I'll never forget the wife telling me not to mess with the washing machine because she's already got the repairman on the way. He takes out two screws on the control panel, snaps off a retaining ring and blows out a small plug of dust, snaps on the ring and replaces the two screws. 4 minutes, $65. That was 15 years ago. Squeaky has been traumatized ever since. :lmao:
I hear ya. That's why I made the leap to Consulting after I left the field. I know how badly contractors and vendors can put the screws to someone (no pun intended there) who has absolutely no knowledge of labor rates and fair market value. Sometimes I'll try to fix stuff, but more often than not I just get too frustrated and just whip out my credit card instead. The last thing I fixed was my microwave. It was a quarter amp fuse. If it goes beyond a fuse or an obvious burned up land on the board, then forget it.

Anonymous

X said:
squeaky wheel said:
I hear ya. That's why I made the leap to Consulting after I left the field. I know how badly contractors and vendors can put the screws to someone (no pun intended there) who has absolutely no knowledge of labor rates and fair market value. Sometimes I'll try to fix stuff, but more often than not I just get too frustrated and just whip out my credit card instead. The last thing I fixed was my microwave. It was a quarter amp fuse. If it goes beyond a fuse or an obvious burned up land on the board, then forget it.

Well in the case of the $65 the guy didn't have a choice as it was the minimum for a service call and my wife called the office number. Good call on the microwave....those ceramic fuses have kept me from buying a new microwave for over 20 years now. Found our current microwave a Panasonic genius Prestige (retail $300) at the dump sans the glass plate and rotary. Already had both from an older one I bought for $10 years before that had a bad fuse. This Panasonic simply blew a $4 ceramic fuse and someone threw it away. Looks absolutely new and was clean to boot.

I hear you about the frustration part of it.....but it does feel good to figure it out sometimes, especially since there's no mastodons to drag home any more.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I don't know what is more disturbing, the article in the OP, or Squeakys $65 service call 15 years ago. Oh wait, yeah I do...it's the article. Tony Banks and June Henley doubling this crew up in points.....dear lord.

Anonymous

Faceplant said:
I don't know what is more disturbing, the article in the OP, or Squeakys $65 service call 15 years ago. Oh wait, yeah I do...it's the article. Tony Banks and June Henley doubling this crew up in points.....dear lord.

I disagree. The service call is still more disturbing. :lmao: