Spagnuolo: Lloyd lifting Rams passing game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
134-49ersMatt640.xlgraphic.prod_affiliate.4.gif

The Sacramento Bee
Matt Barrows

[wrapimg=left]http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/blloyd.jpg[/wrapimg]Stat of the day: Brandon Lloyd has as many touchdown receptions since being traded to the Rams last month - four -- as all of the 49ers wide receivers have this year combined.

The October deal that sent Lloyd from Denver and reunited him with Rams offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels has worked out for both teams. Lloyd's fourth touchdown catch, which came in Sunday's loss to the Cardinals, meant that the Broncos' compensation jumped from a sixth-round pick to a fifth-round pick.

According to Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo, the acquisition also has ignited the Rams' passing game after Danny Amendola and Mark Clayton went down with injuries this year. In the six games since the trade, Lloyd has caught 31 passes for 396 yards to go along with those four touchdowns.

The 49ers parted ways with Lloyd after the 2005 season for a few reasons. They didn't think he was stout enough in the running game, they didn't think he was a true deep threat and he wasn't well-liked inside the 49ers locker room. Lloyd hoped to spark a rap career after entering the NFL. The 49ers preferred he concentrate on football.

But Spagnuolo spoke about Lloyd in opposite terms today. He cited his character and professionalism, and he said that Lloyd, who is now in his ninth season, likely has changed over time. Spagnuolo said the past "was all wiped clean. What's important with us is moving forward."

"He's been terrific," Spagnuolo said. "I love the kid as a person - tremendous character. He was a shot in the arm for us, energy-wise, just stretching the field and some plays that he can make. He's been in the league a long time. He's experienced."

Lloyd had seven catches for 169 yards and a touchdown in the Broncos' loss to the 49ers in London a year ago. This will be his first game in San Francisco since the 49ers traded him to the Redskins after the 2005 season.

There are only a handful of 49ers who played with Lloyd in San Francisco. They are: quarterback Alex Smith, running back Frank Gore, guard Adam Snyder, cornerback Shawntae Spencer, nose tackle Isaac Sopoaga, longsnapper Brian Jennings and punter Andy Lee.

bluecoconuts

Legend
X said:
Stat of the day: Brandon Lloyd has as many touchdown receptions since being traded to the Rams last month - four -- as all of the 49ers wide receivers have this year combined.

:shock:

Smith really likes his TE's... Then again I don't blame him.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
bluecoconuts said:
X said:
Stat of the day: Brandon Lloyd has as many touchdown receptions since being traded to the Rams last month - four -- as all of the 49ers wide receivers have this year combined.

:shock:

Smith really likes his TE's... Then again I don't blame him.

And why wouldn't he? (Props to everyone who can get that reference.) With his number two, Josh Morgan, on IR, Vernon Davis being one of the best tight ends in the league, having a solid running game to go to, and since his number one, Michael Crabtree, is...well, Michael Crabtree, I don't think I can blame Smith either.

Anonymous

Rams passing game has been "lifted".... I agree....and whoever took it should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yawn.

Sent from my SPH-D710