Sony Michel: "I was very fortunate to be able to execute on a positive note"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sony Michel: "I was very fortunate to be able to execute on a positive note"​

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – Going into last week's game against the Jaguars, Rams quarterback Matthew Stafford could sense the gameplan was setting up a "Sony Michel type of game."

His intuition would be correct.

Sony Michel had 24 carries for 121 yards and a touchdown in the Rams' 37-7 victory, becoming their first 100-yard rusher this season. He also an effective ground game that Rams will need once again this week.

"I didn't really think about them putting it on me, I just kind of thought, 'Any opportunity that I get, I'm going to try to take advantage of it,'" Michel said after Thursday's practice. "Opportunities just kept coming my way, and I was very fortunate to be able to execute on a positive note."

The Rams looked to establish Michel early last Sunday, calling his number on the first three plays of their first drive. Michel had runs of seven and six yards on his first two carries to keep the chains moving on a series that ended with a 40-yard field goal by kicker Matt Gay. After the Rams defense recorded its first fumble and fumble recovery, Michel punctuated the drive following the takeaway with a 5-yard touchdown run to give the Rams a 10-0 lead.

By halftime, Michel was averaging a healthy 4.1 yards per carry and had shown the physical presence Rams head coach Sean McVay expected him to bring in that lead back role. In the second half, he broke off a 25-yard run on his way to those 121 rushing yards.

"He's physical. He's tough. He's got great contact balance and really good vision. He's just strong," McVay said during a video conference with reporters Monday. "When you're just looking at Sony Michel, he's a sturdy, tough back. So, all of those things are really reflective. He's really conscientious, really smart."

Stafford described Michel as "steady, even-keel."

"(He) comes to work every single day. You can tell he's been in New England," Stafford said after Thursday's practice. "He's a grinder. He likes to come in here and work and that's awesome. I think both he and (RB) Darrell (Henderson Jr.) have done excellent jobs when we've asked them to do it this year. Continue to hopefully get the same kind of effort from both those guys."

Heading into Week 14, the Rams will need another strong performance out of Michel – plus Henderson, if he plays.

In the first meeting between the two teams, the Cardinals ran for 216 yards on 40 carries as a team, a factor in them to control the time of possession by more than 10 minutes. If the Rams want to limit the effectiveness of the Cardinals offense, an efficient run game will be critical to winning the time of possession battle, keeping the ball out of Cardinals Murray's hands, and putting together another complementary performance.

Along those same lines, McVay knows the offense is most effective when they can get both Michel and Henderson Jr. McVay said Monday that it was good to get Michel going, but they "definitely" want to find ways to have Henderson be a big part of the offense.

Whatever that carry distribution looks like moving forward, Michel's approach will remain unchanged.

"Hopefully," Michel said, when asked if he thinks last Sunday's performance will lead to more opportunities. "We all wish we'd get more opportunities in our profession. But my mindset is continue what I've been doing – keep working, keep grinding, keep sticking to the root of things, and hopefully I get opportunities."

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I like the idea of using them both. Mainly going with the hot hand that day - but also matchups and situational.
Like goal line / short yardage needs to be SM. We suck as short yardage and have for years. SM is a much better option for that one or less yardage pickup. But I love Hendo in the open field and passing game. Both can & should be used - thunder and lightening.
Disagree totally.ThenRams had a RB in Todd Gurley who was great on short yardage plays.
For years The Rams would always be in 3rd & longs.The did OVER spend on Centers which sucked. Brown & that others guy.Both took the money & ran.

Jeff Fisher was the worst imo.COME ON MAN !! Can’t you at least build a Offensive Line ??

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He's not "explosive" and, to me, that's absolutely why McVay prefers Henderson. This is a situation where McVay really needs to stand back and look at the big picture and be patient.
Sony consistently putting them in positive down and distance is more important than the occasional 15+ that Henderson gets you as a starter.
I love mixing Hendo in.
HENDO was getting his.The Rams had a lot of holding calls. He runs hard,but gets beat up to easy.
Sony is the more durable RB.Let’s just hope he is,because Sargent might not be ready for the whole play book.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Exactly! Right now Sony is the bell-cow, grinder-like feature back while Hendo is is the change up-type RB. Hopefully, we will regain the services of a healthy Cam Akers near the end of the regular season where he can take over the dominant bell cow role, while Sony becomes the tough yards grinder, Hendo remains as Mr. ChangeUp.

Looks all good. Well said.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
We were talking about running backs who are "explosive" in a high contact sport where force is an important factor.

I'm pretty comfortable with my usage within that context.

If we're purely talking about speed and quickness, I'd use those terms.
Dude , really ? Bringing up a definition & then planting as you want it.I get the concept as well.

I watched Todd Gurley a lot.He was not your cut back RB. Explosive in terms of power I’d say he had.Explosive without getting a head of steam or from a start stop ?

I don’t know where explosive is? Gurley had a season when(2nd) season & he was crap imo.Blame the O’Line all you want.Same in 2019.
If you want to see an explosive Todd Gurley go back to Georgia before his knee injury.I’d say no doubt.

Cam Akers ? Who knows now. I’ll just wait & hope.

Sony came in after Gurley at Georgia & beat The Rams in the SuperBowl.
Just want to see the chains move at whatever pace.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I totally get what you're saying, I just don't quite see it that way.
What I see is Cam having much, much, much better feet in short space and being able to do slight changes of direction without losing speed.. it's a high, high level talent.
Gurley? If there's any space and sunshine.. he's just gone. But he didn't have the vision or lateral movement to be a great inside runner.
He also simply ran through most arm tackles.. that's part of the difference between being "fast" and "quick" and "explosive".. to be explosive... you have to carry real *force.*
Gurley carried about 10 pounds more than Akers at the NFL level and had true home run speed. I haven't seen Akers show the ability to run away from DBs the way Gurley did on the 80 yard screen against the Titans in 17.
I somehow agree with both of you, haha. If Cam can stay healthy, I think he can have a pretty damn good career in the NFL. I love his game. Reminds me more of Marshall than any other back er have had. That's as high praise as you can get from me.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I somehow agree with both of you, haha. If Cam can stay healthy, I think he can have a pretty damn good career in the NFL. I love his game. Reminds me more of Marshall than any other back er have had. That's as high praise as you can get from me.
Lol.. totally possible and that was kinda where I was going!
Man.. I hope Akers can recover 100%.. achilles are bad.