Some very, very positive Direct TV news...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
First, please indulge me for a moment in order to properly set the stage for you.

My former TV died on me, which gave me an excuse to get one with newer technology.

I had intended to get an LED 70" model advertised for $1300. But the salesman educated me about the new Ultra HiDef 4K technology and showed one in his showroom to me.

The picture was drop dead gorgeous. I don't have the words to properly describe the picture, fellas. You need to see it for yourselves in the showroom.

Check out this easy to read article...

[www.techradar.com]

The kicker is that the salesman told me that Direct had launched a new satellite last December that was capable of broadcasting in this new 4K format (aka Ultra Hi Def). That clinched it for me. I bought a set and it was only $1200 more than the basic one I had first intended. A 70 incher, mind you.

I'm telling you, fellas, that this new picture makes the old HiDef almost semi obsolete. The leap forward for 4K over HiDef is similar to the leap of HiDef over standard def. There is 8 times the resolution over just HiDef, for example.

When I got home I called Tech Support at Direct to verify everything the salesman had told me. Tech Support verified and said that they were anticipating broadcasting in 4K after the first of the year. Maybe 6-9 months, iow. They said a new DVR would be necessary to accommodate the new format, but that's understandable. They're excited. I'm excited.

You need to check this out, fellas. You'll be looking forward to replacing your current HiDef TV. Trust me.

Psycho_X

Legend
Oh yeah the 4K is pretty amazing to sit in front of. It's a wonderful age to be living in entertainment wise lol. I just bought a top of the line 60 inch smart tv Samsung a year and a half ago so can't justify the leap yet myself so figured I'd wait a few years for the new tech price tag to come down a bit on 4Ks. Plus, knowing directv they will probably ask for an arm for a 4K capable receiver when the time comes. But if money is no issue it is like looking through a window. Gratz man.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah... bought a 55" Sony 4K a couple of months ago.

My older Panasonic plasma was getting "ghosty" and it was 8 years old so I took the leap.

Did a lot of research on 4K and, for anyone that is considering it, these are the main take-a-ways for me:

1] There is limited content out there right now (some Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube actually has a lot, etc... overall, pretty spotty. Don't think any sportscasts broadcast in 4K yet).
As @Rams43 says, DirecTV (which I have) is supposed to have that satellite up there in 2016. We'll see. It's been a pretty slow roll on adding 4K content since the sets came on the market. As with anything, once the price comes down to a level where enough consumers can afford that technology and the sales catch on, the content will follow.
I paid $1799 for mine (Best Buy) and it's already down to $1399 in some stores.
The timing seems right, since I think there are a lot of people out there with older HD sets.

2] Be careful about older 4K models (ones that came out when the units were initially available) with regard to HDMI (input) capabilites... can't recall now what the issue was... but the older sets will not support 4K DVD players (which are not available now, but also should hit the market in 2016). If the set was manufactured in 2015, I think you're probably OK but do the research and make sure the set you are purchasing has the up-to-date inputs that can support 4K content coming in (i.e. DVD).

That's about all I learned... did a lot of research and I am very happy with the set.

Quite frankly, even watching non-4K content, the picture is far superior to normal HD... these sets "quasi-convert" normal HD to a "4K kinda" picture. Sounds hokey but it works (at least on my set). Watching 4K is, as you'd expect, amazing. But even everyday HD content is satisfying.

Good luck!!

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
First, please indulge me for a moment in order to properly set the stage for you.

My former TV died on me, which gave me an excuse to get one with newer technology.

I had intended to get an LED 70" model advertised for $1300. But the salesman educated me about the new Ultra HiDef 4K technology and showed one in his showroom to me.

The picture was drop dead gorgeous. I don't have the words to properly describe the picture, fellas. You need to see it for yourselves in the showroom.

[www.techradar.com]

The kicker is that the salesman told me that Direct had launched a new satellite last December that was capable of broadcasting in this new 4K format (aka Ultra Hi Def). That clinched it for me. I bought a set and it was only $1200 more than the basic one I had first intended. A 70 incher, mind you.

I'm telling you, fellas, that this new picture makes the old HiDef almost semi obsolete. The leap forward for 4K over HiDef is similar to the leap of HiDef over standard def. There is 8 times the resolution over just HiDef, for example.

When I got home I called Tech Support at Direct to verify everything the salesman had told me. Tech Support verified and said that they were anticipating broadcasting in 4K after the first of the year. Maybe 6-9 months, iow. They said a new DVR would be necessary to accommodate the new format, but that's understandable. They're excited. I'm excited.

You need to check this out, fellas. You'll be looking forward to replacing your current HiDef TV. Trust me.
NFL games might be converted to 4k but your not going to get the full native 4k experience until they shoot the live action content via 4k cameras. That might take 8-10 years. The NFL has to buy new equipment and upgrade the their studios.

http://4k.com/news/why-sports-fans-arent-likely-to-see-the-nfl-in-4k9714/

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

[www.techradar.com]

Being a 70" TV 4k would make a HUUUUGGGEE difference. If it was say a 32" TV it would be a little harder to spot the difference. Glad you made the leap to 4k, especially on a TV that large. Would probably be a thrill to watch games on. I'll probably get one in 2 years or so. But, I'm perfectly happy with my 50" Panasonic plasma for the time being.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
NFL games might be converted to 4k but your not going to get the full native 4k experience until they shoot the live action content via 4k cameras. That might take 8-10 years. The NFL has to buy new equipment and upgrade the their studios.

http://4k.com/news/why-sports-fans-arent-likely-to-see-the-nfl-in-4k9714/

Not sure it will take that long (8-10) years...

If 4K really catches fire, they'll make the investment ;). And, like the sets themselves, the price of the equipment to broadcast sports should also come down. Entertainment technology seems to be improving at an increasing pace over the past decade... I suspect it will only increase faster.

HD required all new equipment and I don't recall it taking years and years for the networks to convert... it seemed like, once things started rolling, channels converted every day.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'd wait to buy any 4K TV until content is actually out there. Why buy a TV now when DTV won't even have programming for at least 6 months? In 6 months, the TV you buy now will be a lot cheaper and the tech will be even better so you could get an even better TV for the same price. Also, you won't be getting true 4K NFL games until the NFL upgrades their cameras. Who know when that will happen?

On top of that, anyone thinking of getting their 4K content through any service that uses their internet connection better take a serious look at their ISP contract. Most ISP's have around a 250GB limit per month. 4K HD takes a TON of bandwidth. It will eat that 250GB up in no time flat, and once you go over that limit, ISPs like to nail you with ridiculous charges per GB over your limit. There's also the fact that most people don't have an internet connection fast enough to stream 4K so I hope you realize you're going to need to wait while it downloads most of the show/movie.

Not trying to be a downer but there are a lot of issues people should realize before they buy into this tech. I definitely think it looks amazing when it uses an actual 4K source but there aren't many out there and it's going to be a while before there are so why buy into the tech before you need to when prices drop so fast.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I saw one of these at Best Buy, & almost started drooling. The one I saw had a curved screen to boot--the panoramic view in 4k was amazing. It's definitely on my radar, but will take a while, even though I have an "HD" (720p) TV I bought 6 years ago.
With any new tech, you definitely have to do your I/O research. I'm working on a decision on a sound bar... thought it would be simple, but it's getting more & more complex. Some have wifi, some don't; ditto bluetooth, HDMI input / pass through, wireless subs, etc., etc.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah... bought a 55" Sony 4K a couple of months ago.

My older Panasonic plasma was getting "ghosty" and it was 8 years old so I took the leap.

Did a lot of research on 4K and, for anyone that is considering it, these are the main take-a-ways for me:

1] There is limited content out there right now (some Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube actually has a lot, etc... overall, pretty spotty. Don't think any sportscasts broadcast in 4K yet).
As @Rams43 says, DirecTV (which I have) is supposed to have that satellite up there in 2016. We'll see. It's been a pretty slow roll on adding 4K content since the sets came on the market. As with anything, once the price comes down to a level where enough consumers can afford that technology and the sales catch on, the content will follow.
I paid $1799 for mine (Best Buy) and it's already down to $1399 in some stores.
The timing seems right, since I think there are a lot of people out there with older HD sets.

2] Be careful about older 4K models (ones that came out when the units were initially available) with regard to HDMI (input) capabilites... can't recall now what the issue was... but the older sets will not support 4K DVD players (which are not available now, but also should hit the market in 2016). If the set was manufactured in 2015, I think you're probably OK but do the research and make sure the set you are purchasing has the up-to-date inputs that can support 4K content coming in (i.e. DVD).

That's about all I learned... did a lot of research and I am very happy with the set.

Quite frankly, even watching non-4K content, the picture is far superior to normal HD... these sets "quasi-convert" normal HD to a "4K kinda" picture. Sounds hokey but it works (at least on my set). Watching 4K is, as you'd expect, amazing. But even everyday HD content is satisfying.

Good luck!!

Excellent point about the non 4K broadcast content, Rmfnit. The picture still is noticeably better than otherwise.

And yeah, the cost is constantly coming down. Just like it always does with tech devices.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'd wait to buy any 4K TV until content is actually out there. Why buy a TV now when DTV won't even have programming for at least 6 months? In 6 months, the TV you buy now will be a lot cheaper and the tech will be even better so you could get an even better TV for the same price. Also, you won't be getting true 4K NFL games until the NFL upgrades their cameras. Who know when that will happen?

On top of that, anyone thinking of getting their 4K content through any service that uses their internet connection better take a serious look at their ISP contract. Most ISP's have around a 250GB limit per month. 4K HD takes a TON of bandwidth. It will eat that 250GB up in no time flat, and once you go over that limit, ISPs like to nail you with ridiculous charges per GB over your limit. There's also the fact that most people don't have an internet connection fast enough to stream 4K so I hope you realize you're going to need to wait while it downloads most of the show/movie.

Not trying to be a downer but there are a lot of issues people should realize before they buy into this tech. I definitely think it looks amazing when it uses an actual 4K source but there aren't many out there and it's going to be a while before there are so why buy into the tech before you need to when prices drop so fast.

Yeah, no one should replace a perfectly good HiDef TV until necessary, V3. Hell, I wouldn't either.

Question. I'm not a technically sophisticated person, but why is the ISP a factor if the broadcast is from a Direct 4K satellite to one's dish and upgraded DVR?

The link I provided in my OP deals with streaming delays, etc. I recommend that all read it as a primer on their 4K research.

No doubt a new Blue Ray DVD player and 4K DVD's will be necessary, too.

But, trust me, the picture will be worth it.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Have you taken a look at the curved 4k tvs? Now those are amazing televisions.

Also your tv breaking gave you the excuse to buy a new one? Time for my tv to die... Than ill have an excuse. Thanks for the tip!

V3

Hall of Fame
Yeah, no one should replace a perfectly good HiDef TV until necessary, V3. Hell, I wouldn't either.

Question. I'm not a technically sophisticated person, but why is the ISP a factor if the broadcast is from a Direct 4K satellite to one's dish and upgraded DVR?

The link I provided in my OP deals with streaming delays, etc. I recommend that all read it as a primer on their 4K research.

No doubt a new Blue Ray DVD player and 4K DVD's will be necessary, too.

But, trust me, the picture will be worth it.
I just brought that point up because a lot people like to watch shows through streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, HBOGo, etc. RmfnIt even mentioned some in his post. If you get your ALL of your UHD content through your cable/sat provider, your ISP/data consumption won't be an issue. If you plan on watching at least some shows through streaming services, though, you need to be aware of the consumption rate.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Disagree.

The prices of the sets has come down dramatically... if that trend continues (and I believe it will), content will follow. It has always worked that way... going back to color TV.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I just brought that point up because a lot people like to watch shows through streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, HBOGo, etc. RmfnIt even mentioned some in his post. If you get your ALL of your UHD content through your cable/sat provider, your ISP/data consumption won't be an issue. If you plan on watching at least some shows through streaming services, though, you need to be aware of the consumption rate.

Got it, V3.

They discussed in that link I provided that it might take as long as 8-15 hours (yes, hours) to download a streamed movie. And I think that's on a special device, at that. Incredibly dense data to transfer. No more instant movie gratification. Lol.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I think someone else said it and I don't want to be a jerk or burst any bubbles here; But 4K content is still a ways out. Sounds like you got a pretty fair deal but the cost of 4K TV's is only going to continue to come down. I'm waiting until they have content to even deliver. They do a great job in stores showing you a couple things. But the reality is the amount of bandwidth it takes to deliver 4K content is no joke. Operators are still trying to do bandwidth reclamation to figure out how to give subscribers everything they want. 4K content is going to be even slower than HD was. Anyone that buys now will be ahead of the game but likely at a higher price. Not to mention everything has to be converted to 4K or streamed that way. It'a going to be great to watch, but it's still a ways out for any significant content.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Got it, V3.

They discussed in that link I provided that it might take as long as 8-15 hours (yes, hours) to download a streamed movie. And I think that's on a special device, at that. Incredibly dense data to transfer. No more instant movie gratification. Lol.

Yeah, and the thing is some operators offer tier's (like 30 meg, 50 meg, 100 meg etc.) Others are going to a usage base platform. So if you go to 4K which is a much higher BW consumption your monthly rate could double. Don't know for sure yet what DTV will do but it's coming for sure. I've sold video to all of these types of operators and it's definitely coming. The days of streaming unlimited content for $30 month is coming to an end.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, true.

My streaming of 4K works fine. Can't remember the speed we have but it's probably as good as we can get (my son handles it and he's nutsy about that stuff).

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Got it, V3.

Yes, that's through specific devices (I know Sony offers one) but those are stand alone units and cost like $600. That's downloading 4K movies... streaming is completely different.

As I said to V3, my speed is good enough to support the streming but his point about understanding the irelationship of ISP to content is very valid.

V3

Hall of Fame
Disagree.

The prices of the sets has come down dramatically... if that trend continues (and I believe it will), content will follow. It has always worked that way... going back to color TV.

I think something's getting lost in translation here. Yes, the prices are down from when they were first introduced. Those prices will fall even more. Right now there's hardly anything in 4K and by the time 4K programming becomes readily available, the prices of 4K TVs will be even lower and the tech will be better. So why pay a premium now for a TV technology you won't even really be able to fully enjoy? Sure, you can upconvert the picture but that has never looked nearly as good as the true fully optimized source. On top of that, resolution isn't the only tech that matters. Things like HDR, quantum dots and full array LED backlighting can dramatically improve the image on the screen beyond what increasing the resolution can. Those technologies are just getting started. By the time UHD programming starts rolling, that tech will be more readily available and cheaper.

If you need a new TV now, by all means buy one. If you don't, however, you'd be better off waiting until there's UHD programming available so you can optimize your value. You'll get better tech for cheaper and have stuff to watch. But again, there's nothing wrong with having a 4KTV now. Enjoy. I've seen them. They're awesome with a true 4K source. I'm actually more impressed with the jump from HD to UHD than I was with SD to HD.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think something's getting lost in translation here. Yes, the prices are down from when they were first introduced. Those prices will fall even more. Right now there's hardly anything in 4K and by the time 4K programming becomes readily available, the prices of 4K TVs will be even lower and the tech will be better. So why pay a premium now for a TV technology you won't even really be able to fully enjoy? Sure, you can upconvert the picture but that has never looked nearly as good as the true fully optimized source. On top of that, resolution isn't the only tech that matters. Things like HDR, quantum dots and full array LED backlighting can dramatically improve the image on the screen beyond what increasing the resolution can. Those technologies are just getting started. By the time UHD programming starts rolling, that tech will be more readily available and cheaper.

If you need a new TV now, by all means buy one. If you don't, however, you'd be better off waiting until there's UHD programming available so you can optimize your value. You'll get better tech for cheaper and have stuff to watch. But again, there's nothing wrong with having a 4KTV now. Enjoy. I've seen them. They're awesome with a true 4K source. I'm actually more impressed with the jump from HD to UHD than I was with SD to HD.
I think we agree?

I wouldn't rush out and replace an HD set I bought less than 5 years ago if it's working well.

But it does makes sense for some right now... everything I read said that content (and delivery of it) will get figured out once demand for the hardware sets in.