Some things I think that I think…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
The problem with run defense between the tackles is THE SCHEME not the personnel. They have the personnel to play a 1 gap attacking 3-4 hybrid scheme. They don't have a Suh or Vita Vea to play a 2 gap 0T Fangio mixed DL. Brown simply doesn't dominate a single blocker muchless a double team. They are wasting the impact Donald has on an OL by playing read react 2 gap inside. If you are going to play a 2 gap 0T NT you must play 2 ILB over the A gaps. Morris plays a 0T NT and ONE ILB (Jones) who is expected to play both A gaps by himself? WTF? You can play a single MIKE ILB if you play a 1T NT who essentially takes the other A gap responsibility.

The inherent weakness of Morris' 0T defense is that Brown doesn't command a double team. Therefore the Center and LG block Brown to their right, the LT blocks the DE to the left and the FG takes out Jones with a huge hole for the RB to walk through. Yup its exactly how Shanahan blows open Morris' front 7 because he doesn't play with a WIL or SAM so they can do it to either side. The only thing stopping it is usually Donald beating the RG and looping around the double team of the NT to make the tackle from behind. If AD can't the run goes for at least 5 yds. We have seen that repeatedly. Why? Because Morris doesn't change his scheme.

Play Turner inside as a 1T NT with AD at 3T and Hoecht at DE in a one gap scheme. Play with Mathis at WIL, Jones at MIKE and Hampton at SAM. That will force Purdy to beat the Rams with his arm. Mathis and Hampton shut down the edges and support the interior run defense while taking away the short zone and flats for dump offs.

Morris needs to play to the strengths of his players, not to some whimsical notion of limiting big plays. Small plays become big plays if you don't shut them down early. Morris as well as most fans don't understand that the defense starts with the play of the front 7. The front 7 is what takes the OC and QB out of their comfort zones. That is where shutting down an offense starts. If your scheme up front is flawed the OCs will find it and exploit it.

It's the play of the front 7 that dictates the timing of the play. You don't sit back and try to stop the play, you attack it and disrupt it. That's how turnovers happen. If the defense plays aggressively, i.e. attacks, each play this defense can be better than most realize. If they sit back then the offense will have to carry the team.

I'm not worried about the OL. Jackson is a solid LT and Avila will eventually be a pro bowl caliber OG. Allen is a better technician but Shelton is a bit more versatile at center. RG will likely be McClendon or Thomas.

Ideally, to start the season I'd expect:

LT Jackson
LG Avila
C Allen or Shelton
RG Shelton or Thomas
RT Havenstein

I think this team will primarily run to the left. That is the strength of the OL. Pass protection is weakest right edge, but I think Stafford will have time for the most part. Teams will have to blitz which should be to Stafford's advantage. If he and Kupp read it they can beat it.

For those who think Anchrum is good, just look at that clip of Evan's run. He blocks NO ONE on that play. The pressure comes right through the RG position. He's supposed to stand the 3T up and pass him off to the center (McAllister) before moving to the second level. Instead, he brushes by the DT not giving time for McAllister to get there and then misses his second level block as well. He ends up standing there watching Evans get tackled. Blythe used to do that as well. He's in his 4th year that shouldn't happen,

That's why they moved Noteboom over to RG. Thomas was solid at LG last Saturday. If Noteboom can't play then I would expect Shelton to play RG and Allen to start at center. But if they want Shelton at center then Thomas would seem to be their best RG option.

I expect the OL to play well this year and they have better depth. As such I think the offense both run and pass will carry the team until the defense rounds into form. I still think 10-7 or 11-6 is achievable.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Dang.....that sounds a lot like what I said a few posts up!!! Great minds??

BTW just about every time I read one of your posts and see your name I think of the Philly Steak and Cheese omelet that I enjoy at one of my breakfast places.
Had one yesterday and it was scrumptious as always!!

~ArkyRamsFan~
Oh I didn't see that...I was reading through posts a page or so earlier than posted mine. Sorry about that.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
It's very difficult for any Rams player to make the probowl. It's a team popularity contest, not a talent contest. Even after winning a Superbowl, and being in one of the biggest markets, we have one of the smallest fanbases in the NFL.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
If the Rams win 9 games then it's Morris that will win Coach of the Year.