Some things I originally missed when I watched the game live...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’m gonna try to avoid mentioning the things that so many others have already pointed out in their excellent reviews.

These are things that I just missed in all the excitement of the live action but jumped out when I rewatched. Plus a couple of things that bear further emphasis anyway, IMO.

This game was not McVay’s best game plan and it was hampered by some playcalling headscratchers. Like getting away from the running game too much, too much Tavon too little Gurley, using precious time outs early, not insisting on more targets for Watkins, etc.

Yeah, Goff had an “off” game. It was merely reinforced when I rewatched. It happens to the best of them.

It killed me to see Gurley on the sidelines so much in that 2nd half. Easily our best O weapon through the first 4 games. Sigh...

I thought that the OL generally played well. Few bad moments here and there like Whit’s whiff, Saffold getting walked back resulting in a Goff pick, JB’s penalties. But overall, I think they’re coming along and held their own against a good Seahawk D.

Higbee is coming along nicely, I’m happy to say. The lightbulb seems to have come on in the last 2 games. Needs to improve on catching contested balls. Everett is having more trouble adjusting to the NFL than I had anticipated. I no longer see him starting ahead of Higbee by midseason. Still love the pick, mind you, but it’s just gonna take more time.

Thank goodness for Woods. He actually had a helluva game. In fact, I’ll say this. If every player had played his position as well as Woods did, we would have won by 30 points, or more. I’m serious. Terrific signing.

Watkins needs to look in the mirror, then get his damned act together. Body language and effort leave a lot to be desired. No room for divas on this McVay team.

Kupp had a good game. Not a great game, but a good one. Came 3 inches from becoming a hero, although I’m not blaming him for the miss for the win at the end of the game. I still think it would have to have been a helluva catch.

Cooper quietly had a nice game. Apparently he’s also gonna be our new PR. Good choice. He’s already a fine KOR. Don’t know why more fans are not on his bandwagon. The kid is a savvy football player that produces.

Malcolm Brown made a couple of nice catches. I much prefer him giving Gurley his breathers rather than Tavon.

Speaking of Tavon, the Seahawks were sitting on him all game long. Couldn’t have been more obvious. He did score on that extremely well blocked TD run, but my wife might have scored on that play. Just kidding. She probably wouldn’t have scored, but I’m sure that she woulda made the 1st down. Lol.

I stand by my previous statement. Taking Gurley or Kupp off the field to insert Tavon is a tactical error on McVay’s part. Might have even been the difference in a close ballgame.

Wade’s D did a real fine job, overall. Held the Seahawks to 16 points after the Seahawks were gifted with 5 turnovers. Gawd! I suspect that our D will fare well vs the Jags.

This just in. JJ had an even better game than I had realized. He came close to 2 interceptions early in the 1st quarter that I missed, originally. The kid appears to have serious ball skills. We could be looking at a future Ram star in our secondary, fellas.

A few brief comments about Quinn. Skip this part if you are still a big Quinn loyalist. Quinn looks like he’s done. He looked worse on the re-watch than on the live broadcast. Don’t see the fire, speed, or results of the ‘14 and ‘15 versions. I suspect that he’s playing in considerable pain, tbh. I don’t see how the Rams can justify keeping him after this year. Longacre is outplaying him by a mile.

NRC is one feisty slot CB. The kind that gets in the head of opposing receivers and QB’s. Fun to watch.

Cody Davis had a strong game. He missed one tackle that would have forced a FG attempt. Instead, Wilson was able to get the TD after the first down. But I must say that Davis had a strong game overall, plus the int, of course.

Goff was magnificent on that last drive. I think that was a statement drive. I was already impressed with his progress this year under McVay, but that final drive was jaw droppingly impressive. Bodes very well for our Ram future.

I’m over the loss already. I wasn’t devastated right away, anyway.

This team is learning and growing every week. They beat themselves vs the Seahawks. That’s a huge improvement over seasons past when we lacked too much talent. This game was there for the taking right up to the final seconds despite all of the many mistakes both big and small. That’s miles ahead of where we were just a year ago.

Another thing. This team, these players and coaches alike, has no quit in them. Not one damned bit. Not through all 5 games so far. It’s an exciting team to watch and very easy to root for. I see a fun roller coaster type ride in these next 11 games, too.

Thanks for reading. Comments very welcome.

Flint

Pro Bowler
At first watch I thought Woods had a great game, better than Kupp. Everyone, including media, thinks Kupp is the next great thing, but he's still a rookie. Seems like Goff looks for him to a fault sometimes. I understand how this offense works but these are the situations you want a # 1 for, let's not outsmart ourselves here throw it to Sammy with the game on the line

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Goff was magnificent on that last drive. I think that was a statement drive. I was already impressed with his progress this year under McVay, but that final drive was jaw droppingly impressive. Bodes very well for our Ram future.
This^^ is why I think Goff might have a "Statement Game!" against the Jag's this week-end!!(y);):yess:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Good observations 43.

All in all, I chalk this game up to "learning experience". This team being so young and with so many new pieces, we all knew the Rams were going to have a game like this, where they clearly outplayed the other team, but made too many mistakes, both on the field and in coaching, to win. Still things that need to be sorted out. It's a process. (Mo to JJ as an example). I expect more subtle personel changes to come.

After 5 games I'm really liking the way the OL is coming along. They're giving the rest of the O a decent chance.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This game was not McVay’s best game plan and it was hampered by some playcalling headscratchers. Like getting away from the running game too much, too much Tavon too little Gurley, using precious time outs early, not insisting on more targets for Watkins, etc.
I don't know man...we had 350+ yards of offense...at some point, it's on the players to execute...I thought we moved the ball well...It was turnovers that killed many drives....I'm not even sure how many times Hekker punted.

It killed me to see Gurley on the sidelines so much in that 2nd half.
Me too...but I think this was some sort of punishment...accountability stuff....he's fumbled a LOT...and he was holding the ball like a loaf of bread...tuck that thing and run hard for the goal line..

Saffold getting walked back resulting in a Goff pick
I thought there was plenty of room to side step Saffold...step up...and drive the ball downfield...didn't look like the receiver was open anyways....It looked crowded and double covered. Careless throw IMO.

Kupp had a good game. Not a great game, but a good one. Came 3 inches from becoming a hero, although I’m not blaming him for the miss for the win at the end of the game.
Curious...if you WERE to blame someone...who would it be?

I think this play is entirely on Kupp...

I'm on Goff more than most...but not for plays like this. Not too hard...not too far...wasn't perfect, but it was THERE. If guys need perfect passes to make plays...they're the wrong guys to throw to...I can't see why guys feel that saying that Kupp dropped the winner is some evil thing...He dropped it...it happens...you wanna here what Kupp says about the play???

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/0...per-kupp-felt-he-let-the-rams-down-on-sunday/

It was pretty standard stuff for Kupp, who’s stepped right into the NFL and immediately established himself as one of the best rookie wide receivers in pro football and most respected players in the Rams locker room.

And while the rest of us humans consider the pass from Jared Goff that skimmed off Kupp’s fingertips on what would have been the game-saving touchdown catch against the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday as an acceptable incompletion, Kupp argues otherwise.

“At the end of the day, just face the facts,” he insisted. “I gotta make that play. I’m going to take responsibility for that. Extreme ownership.”

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It killed me to see Gurley on the sidelines so much in that 2nd half. Easily our best O weapon through the first 4 games. Sigh...

I have to wonder if something was up with Gurley because McVay has used him heavily other than this game. It makes you worry that he is dinged up and they are going easy on him.

At first watch I thought Woods had a great game, better than Kupp. Everyone, including media, thinks Kupp is the next great thing, but he's still a rookie. Seems like Goff looks for him to a fault sometimes.

Kupp is seemingly always open though, he's reliable as a go to guy and that's good because Goff's confidence will continue to increase if he knows he has an option available most times. And he has great hands.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I’m over the loss already. I wasn’t devastated right away, anyway.

Thanks for reading. Comments very welcome.

Great read, that's for sharing!

I was devastated and i'm still a bit disturbed. Thought we threw that game away. Can't stand to let the hags feel they own this division. It's gonna take a few wins to wash the stench of that loss

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
At first I was disappointed. I kept thinking what could have been if Kupp makes that catch. But as the week goes on I realize this is still a developing team. Before the season I was just wanting to see progress. I didn't expect a lot of wins.

What we're seeing in our young quarterback is very encouraging. And to think, he's going to be our guy for next decade and a half. We could be seeing a lot of years of great football when this kid is fully acclimated to the nuances of the NFL.

I'm not sure if we're there yet but we're closer than I thought.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know man...we had 350+ yards of offense...at some point, it's on the players to execute...I thought we moved the ball well...It was turnovers that killed many drives....I'm not even sure how many times Hekker punted.

Me too...but I think this was some sort of punishment...accountability stuff....he's fumbled a LOT...and he was holding the ball like a loaf of bread...tuck that thing and run hard for the goal line..

I thought there was plenty of room to side step Saffold...step up...and drive the ball downfield...didn't look like the receiver was open anyways....It looked crowded and double covered. Careless throw IMO.

I'm on Goff more than most...but not for plays like this. Not too hard...not too far...wasn't perfect, but it was THERE. If guys need perfect passes to make plays...they're the wrong guys to throw to...I can't see why guys feel that saying that Kupp dropped the winner is some evil thing...He dropped it...it happens...you wanna here what Kupp says about the play???

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/10/0...per-kupp-felt-he-let-the-rams-down-on-sunday/

I don’t “blame” anyone, Champ.

Circumstances put the Rams in a do or die situation thanks to the 5 freaking turnovers.

Seahawks knew what was coming.

A tremendous pass was required and Goff came through.

A tremendous catch was required and Kupp just missed. By literally inches. End of story.

I’m moving on.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

+1

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

Yes! Extreme Ownership was a great book. I had a feeling that McVay had read it. Maybe he's getting the players to read it to. That would explain the increase in accountability to an extent.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

Agree with all you stated. My favorite part of the article you posted is this....

"The Rams, sensing their young teammates remorse, made it a point to stop by his locker to console him. Goff included.

“Don’t want him to get too down on himself,” Goff said. “He’s a very serious kid and a really good player, and someone who knows he wants to make that play.”

Which is why the second-year quarterback pulled up a chair next to Kupp for a prolonged heart-to-heart.

“I told him, ‘There’s a reason. I could have picked anyone to throw to there and I picked you,” Goff said. “There’s a reason we threw it to you there, because you’re a good player and a guy we trust, a guy we believe in.’”

Kupp appreciated the kind gestures and supportive words.

“I’ve got the best teammates in the world,” he said.

Chance are he’ll move on from this. Grow from it. Maybe even be better off for it.

But it might take a day or two.

“I just have to make that play,” he repeated. “Bottom line.”

Ram65

Legend

Very strange game plan indeed. The time out wasting is becoming a regular thing. I like Tavon getting some running ops in the backfield but, not this way. Bring him in for a play or two when Gurley needs a rest as a change of pace. Losing yards on first down is no way to start drives. Where are the short West Coast short passes? Could have used one on that 3rd and 1 where Gurley was the up back. Run some plays for Sammy.

Higbee is coming along nicely, I’m happy to say. The lightbulb seems to have come on in the last 2 games. Needs to improve on catching contested balls. Everett is having more trouble adjusting to the NFL than I had anticipated. I no longer see him starting ahead of Higbee by midseason. Still love the pick, mind you, but it’s just gonna take more time.

Glad to see Higbee making plays. IIRC Everett had two chances. The first was a Goff roll out right where he fluttered the ball to Everett high and it hit off his hands. The ball had no spin and was like a high change up. Tough ball to catch. The second and possible TD was illegal contact pass the 5 yards. The defender was using an arm bar on Everett 7-8 yards off the line of scrimmage. Good coverage if you get away with it. It does look like Higbee will still get more passes and keep his job. Higbee had 62 snaps vs Everett's 29 snaps. They like Higbee in line with the option to run up the seem. Carrier didn't have any. Seems like not enough balls to go around.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Agree with all you stated. My favorite part of the article you posted is this....

"The Rams, sensing their young teammates remorse, made it a point to stop by his locker to console him. Goff included.

“Don’t want him to get too down on himself,” Goff said. “He’s a very serious kid and a really good player, and someone who knows he wants to make that play.”

Which is why the second-year quarterback pulled up a chair next to Kupp for a prolonged heart-to-heart.

“I told him, ‘There’s a reason. I could have picked anyone to throw to there and I picked you,” Goff said. “There’s a reason we threw it to you there, because you’re a good player and a guy we trust, a guy we believe in.’”

Kupp appreciated the kind gestures and supportive words.

“I’ve got the best teammates in the world,” he said.

Chance are he’ll move on from this. Grow from it. Maybe even be better off for it.

But it might take a day or two.

“I just have to make that play,” he repeated. “Bottom line.”

This is very, very impressive and makes me feel good about the locker room.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Surprised with Higbee's performance, glad he's coming to his own. Hope Everett is up to speed but asking a rookie to do a lot is wishful thinking at this point. I expect major strides next year with him.

Overall, I'm glad the vibes are cheerful at this time, losing last Sunday's game under Fisher would've made me expect doom and gloom to snowball.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Surprised with Higbee's performance, glad he's coming to his own. Hope Everett is up to speed but asking a rookie to do a lot is wishful thinking at this point. I expect major strides next year with him.

Overall, I'm glad the vibes are cheerful at this time, losing last Sunday's game under Fisher would've made me expect doom and gloom to snowball.

The pic you have as your icon.........where did that come from?

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
The pic you have as your icon.........where did that come from?

Spent some of my free time editing this

119.png

To this

IMG_0342.JPG

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
It's fantastic and funny and I hope it stays!

A perfect caption would be "holy crap, look at that, we have an offense. Look I said. LOOK!!!!".

Yeah I love Rick and Morty, loathe many of their fans. You have to have an IQ over 180 to watch the show