Some questions about how coaches really felt about certain players have already been answered, huh?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
And we’re barely into the 2nd wave of FA.

Where to start?

Joyner’s Ram future? What future? Weddle is a clear upgrade, although a short term one.

Peters. Rams kept him and want to see him prove himself this year before any extension decisions are made. There had been some speculation that he might have been traded/cut in a cap move after he struggled so much last season.

Barron. Coaches evidently saw what we fans saw and they made the cap move/better fit decision.

Fowler. Lot of fans saw this as 50-50, but the Rams must have really liked his upside trajectory and gave him a pricey one year extension. Fingers crossed. Edge was a huge need, and still is, IMO.

Suh. AKA “the coaster”. Lol. Too much money for too little effort. Wasn’t a hard decision, especially with the DL talent in this particular draft.

Brockers. Another player that there was cap saving speculation about, but the Rams obviously liked him and his flexibility, even with the $11M pricetag.

Ebu. Stay tuned. He’s not going anywhere, of course, but his starter status is up in the air.

Clay Matthews. Vet leader that can maybe help on edge or inside. Kinda tells us that the coaches saw need for improvement in both areas. IOW, coaches weren’t happy with their LB play last year other than Littleton. CM reportedly signed for $10M base for the 2 years combined, so that makes him affordable, at least. And he’s almost certain to be an upgrade whereever Wade schemes him. What does this signing mean for Ebu and/or Kiser?

Sully. Sadly, the coaches recognized the obvious. Father Time had caught up with him late in the season. Let’s hope that Kromer has Allen ready to start. Or Blythe? Or maybe even a draft pick?

Saffold. A tough decision for the coaches. Saffold was/is elite but the Rams couldn’t handle the cap hit that he would have consumed. Best of luck, Rodger, and thanks for the memories, man.

Malcolm Brown vs CJ Anderson. Clearly, McVay preferred MB and I agree. CJ was invaluable late last season, but let’s be honest. That Ram OL was dominating and CJ had many nice holes to run through. IMO, MB is the better backup and McVay must have felt the same.

Mannion. This was a no brainer. Bortles for $1M for the year? Is this a trick question? Lol.

So there you have it. Quite a few speculative players have had questions answered by FO/coaching decisions already and the draft isn’t for another 6 weeks.

Any surprises (or disappointments) in that mix for y’all?

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I am going to address something thought provoking. It may upset, but that isn’t my intention. Its about our QB Goff.

Lets say McVay was hired right before the draft Goff was in. Would Goff have been his choice? Now with Bortles in the picture, this is obviously a QB McVay wanted, and makes you wonder the what ifs. Don’t get me wrong Goff did fine he did what he had to do and got us to SB. Yet is he clutch enough under true pressure? That is something Goff needs to work on pocket awareness.

It makes sense to bring someone like Bortles in. It makes competition interesting. Mannion apparently never had it in him and never could of filled in. Mannion probably never showed true promise to ever being a starter which made is easy for Goff to continue starting. Now enter Bortles. He knows he is going to be a backup and is (supposedly) ok with that, doesn’t mean his work ethics will be bare minimum. I am eagered to see what happens...

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Another great post, 43. Although I still think CJ Anderson is the better running back. I will admit, however, that Malcomb Brown has not played enough for me to be sure. He looked good for the few times he got the ball though. Trusting McVay on this one (besides, he hasn't called to ask my opinion... yet - lol).

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am going to address something thought provoking. It may upset, but that isn’t my intention. Its about our QB Goff.

Lets say McVay was hired right before the draft Goff was in. Would Goff have been his choice? Now with Bortles in the picture, this is obviously a QB McVay wanted, and makes you wonder the what ifs. Don’t get me wrong Goff did fine he did what he had to do and got us to SB. Yet is he clutch enough under true pressure? That is something Goff needs to work on pocket awareness.

It makes sense to bring someone like Bortles in. It makes competition interesting. Mannion apparently never had it in him and never could of filled in. Mannion probably never showed true promise to ever being a starter which made is easy for Goff to continue starting. Now enter Bortles. He knows he is going to be a backup and is (supposedly) ok with that, doesn’t mean his work ethics will be bare minimum. I am eagered to see what happens...

I think that Bortles was brought in to be a better backup for Goff, Endo. No more, no less.

I think that McVay is VERY pleased with Goff’s progress and sees him as a top 10 QB for the next 15 years. Maybe better than top 10.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Another great post, 43. Although I still think CJ Anderson is the better running back. I will admit, however, that Malcomb Brown has not played enough for me to be sure. He looked good for the few times he got the ball though. Trusting McVay on this one (besides, he hasn't called to ask my opinion... yet - lol).

I agree I think CJ was the more doninant player of the two. Both RBs ran through the same size holes, but CJ carried us in several games. Brown never did that.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It makes sense to bring someone like Bortles in. It makes competition interesting.

There is no competition, Goff is the starter and is head and shoulders better than Bortles. Even if there was a competition Goff would easily top Bortles.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Love all the moves so far. Wish we could of kept saffold because he played well

Bortles adds a formidable back up. That's it, there is no competition.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Malcolm Brown vs CJ Anderson. Clearly, McVay preferred MB and I agree. CJ was invaluable late last season, but let’s be honest. That Ram OL was dominating and CJ had many nice holes to run through. IMO, MB is the better backup and McVay must have felt the same.

I don't think McVay's preference is clear. CJ has made noises about wanting to be a starter - the Rams can't offer him that, so the Rams have tendered the alternative - they can't afford to lose both. If CJ were willing to be the backup, at a similar price to Brown, I strongly suspect he would have been signed already.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
@Rams43 I think you nailed it, and like you stated, it seems as if we are mostly in concurrence with the coaching staff. Weird, huh? It is going to be very interesting to see what we do with our OL, and LB positions.

Saffold is the only guy, but I get it.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now watch... Goff will get hurt, Bortles will start for a few games and play lights out, the Rams will look like the GSOT part 2, and we'll have ourselves a full-blown QB controversy. (Now i will wait for the Ricky Bobby GIF "don't you put that evil on me!!! - LOL)

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
I agree I think CJ was the more doninant player of the two. Both RBs ran through the same size holes, but CJ carried us in several games. Brown never did that.

The only problem I have with this is:

CJ played in two games as the starter. Brown was injured and I can't remember if he has ever started.
CJ played behind a surging Rams Oline during a three game streak and playoff run. Brown was injured and has never played behind a surging Ram Oline.
During CJ's great play he wasn't injured. Brown was.

Ram65

Legend

Where to start?

Joyner’s Ram future? What future? Weddle is a clear upgrade, although a short term one.

Weddle is a cheaper alternative. Hopefully, he is a clear up grade.

Peters. Rams kept him and want to see him prove himself this year before any extension decisions are made. There had been some speculation that he might have been traded/cut in a cap move after he struggled so much last season.

No way was Peters going anywhere. Rams need him this year but, I don't think he is worth big money next year.

Barron. Coaches evidently saw what we fans saw and they made the cap move/better fit decision.

I think the coaches liked Barron. Cap hit and injuries made it time to move on. Will be interesting to see how they replace him.

Fowler. Lot of fans saw this as 50-50, but the Rams must have really liked his upside trajectory and gave him a pricey one year extension. Fingers crossed. Edge was a huge need, and still is, IMO.

Didn't see $12 Million for one year. Did want him back as Rams need the edge pressure. Always looking for more.

Suh. AKA “the coaster”. Lol. Too much money for too little effort. Wasn’t a hard decision, especially with the DL talent in this particular draft.

Good nickname.

Brockers. Another player that there was cap saving speculation about, but the Rams obviously liked him and his flexibility, even with the $11M pricetag.

Looks like a Saffold type decision. Keep him and pay him but, probably won't extend him.

Ebu. Stay tuned. He’s not going anywhere, of course, but his starter status is up in the air.

Competition is a good thing.

Clay Matthews. Vet leader that can maybe help on edge or inside. Kinda tells us that the coaches saw need for improvement in both areas. IOW, coaches weren’t happy with their LB play last year other than Littleton. CM reportedly signed for $10M base for the 2 years combined, so that makes him affordable, at least. And he’s almost certain to be an upgrade whereever Wade schemes him. What does this signing mean for Ebu and/or Kiser?

Time will tell how they use CM. I'm not sure about his cover skills now. Be nice if he could cover and play inside and outside. Like him more as a pass rusher.

Sully. Sadly, the coaches recognized the obvious. Father Time had caught up with him late in the season. Let’s hope that Kromer has Allen ready to start. Or Blythe? Or maybe even a draft pick?

Allen's job to succeed.

Saffold. A tough decision for the coaches. Saffold was/is elite but the Rams couldn’t handle the cap hit that he would have consumed. Best of luck, Rodger, and thanks for the memories, man.

Would like to know when they Rams made this decision. I'm thinking when they resigned Gurley and Havenstein knee they had the Noteboom in the wings.

Agree.

Mannion. This was a no brainer. Bortles for $1M for the year? Is this a trick question? Lol.

Agree

So there you have it. Quite a few speculative players have had questions answered by FO/coaching decisions already and the draft isn’t for another 6 weeks.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Now watch... Goff will get hurt, Bortles will start for a few games and play lights out, the Rams will look like the GSOT part 2, and we'll have ourselves a full-blown QB controversy. (Now i will wait for the Ricky Bobby GIF "don't you put that evil on me!!! - LOL)

Well if you say a backup is to only play under those circumstances yes weird things happen. I was thinking from it as an actual plan B point of view if plan A isn’t working move onto plan B.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

Agreed. Its possible Joyner might return to his pre 2018 form. But even so Weddle is an upgrade and came much cheaper.

I thought Peters played much better when Wade allowed him to play it at his most natural position. Off the ball. He's not a press corner. He can use his instincts better playing off the receiver where he can see the QB better. Don't be surprised to see him much better this season.

Barron was undersized for his position and becoming injury prone. Matthews best years might be behind him but he should still be a better fit. He can rush the passer from the edge or the middle. More flexibility.

I see it as 50/50 also. The hope is a full season in the system and he could be that pass rusher we're hoping for. There is no doubt he has the talent to be a dominant pass rusher.

It would be nice to have Suh in the playoffs. But you gotta get there first. The fact that he can flip the switch is nice. But the fact that he waits until the bigger moments isn't. He'd be the proverbial luxury we can't afford.

I suppose it basically came down to Brockers or Suh. Brockers is now the longest tenured Ram and respected locker room presence. I think the reason he wasn't cut is that they know they could do worse.

For a lot of young players the light starts to come on in year 3. Lets hope that is the case with Ebukam. He's the most athletic linebacker we have.

Matthews best years are behind him. But he still has value. Perhaps they still see something in Kiser but don't think he's quite ready? I wouldn't expect Matthews to get as many snaps as a few others. So maybe we'll see more of Kiser in the rotation?

Yeah, even though he had value in helping diagnose defensive alignments he was struggling and becoming a liability. I think they like Allen.

This is one I hope doesn't come back to bite us. I really wanted him back. But sometimes the tough decisions have to be made. The cost to keep him was too prohibitive. They did have other areas more in need. Just one of those things where they didn't have the resources to keep him and address other areas. Plus, I think they really like Noteboom. So maybe it won't be so bad.

I woulda preferred CJ. But perhaps Brown has more value because he's more versatile with his ability to catch passes and pick up blitzes. I think CJ is better on run plays but the pass game is what makes the engine run.

Lol, that was the easiest decision of all. Bortles has more talent and more experience. Playing under McVay is probably why he picked the Rams.

As far as the running backs, I gotta think the news about matching the offer for Brown is good news for Kelly. At times he looked lost last season. But he has some talent. Maybe in year two he could see some improvement and more playing time. A lot of people had him as a possible sleeper to be a solid contributor.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't be surprised if Brockers gets moved around draft time. What might save him is our current DL depth.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Anderson benefited from Gurley being out. Brown always did very well when pulling spot duty and late game closer.

Anderson benefited from a game where they could predict what the defensive line was doing, making it easier to block. He had huge holes in that cowpies game because of that. I've not heard anyone say anything similar about other games. Even if they had, the prevailing notion at the time was that Gurley should get all but a few carries a game.

It's fair to say that Anderson wasn't brought in because Gurley was injured. Anderson was brought in because when Gurley was injured, Brown was injured. I want to say Davis was injured or something too, although he may not have been on the 53. I don't much remember his status.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I wouldn't be surprised if Brockers gets moved around draft time. What might save him is our current DL depth.
What makes you think that? Because you want it to be so? The Rams have already made it plain for all to hear that Brockers is going no where. You’re not the only one who says that Brockers might be gone, several on this board have brought up this possibility. The only problem is, that the Rams organization disagrees with all of you. That really is the key piece of knowledge that we should all accept.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Anderson benefited from Gurley being out. Brown always did very well when pulling spot duty and late game closer.

Anderson benefited from a game where they could predict what the defensive line was doing, making it easier to block. He had huge holes in that cowpies game because of that. I've not heard anyone say anything similar about other games. Even if they had, the prevailing notion at the time was that Gurley should get all but a few carries a game.

It's fair to say that Anderson wasn't brought in because Gurley was injured. Anderson was brought in because when Gurley was injured, Brown was injured. I want to say Davis was injured or something too, although he may not have been on the 53. I don't much remember his status.

I believe Brockers was paid a roster bonus of $2,222,223. just a week or so ago, they wouldn't do that if they were about to unload him imo.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
What makes you think that? Because you want it to be so?

You answered your own question:

You’re not the only one who says that Brockers might be gone, several on this board have brought up this possibility.

First off, I said Brockers being moved wouldn't surprise me, not that I think Brockers will be traded. Completely different, because the former statement suggests that I believe he will stay on the roster. Secondly, I dont think his production in Wade's defense matches his salary. Also, hes on the last year of his contract. Unless he takes a pay cut in the form of a new team friendly contract, I doubt he'll be on the roster after this season anyways.

I believe Brockers was paid a roster bonus of $2,222,223. just a week or so ago, they wouldn't do that if they were about to unload him imo.

Rams can still save almost $8 mil in cap by moving him.

But like I said, our current d-line depth behind Donald is kinda weak.