Softli Talks Rams OTA’s--Joseph to Compete To Start?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
What should the Rams expect from OTAs this week? Tony Softli tells 101ESPN. He talks about the installation of the offense and defense that will go on in OTA’s. Softli looks forward to seeing Mo Alexander, Michael Sam, and Tre Mason for various reasons. Bradford will be a part of OTA’s, the question is how much. Softli thinks they Rams have brought in Joseph in to compete for a starting spot. At worse, they have a good swing OG.

Listen to Softli Talk OTA's

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams have a better Guard than Joseph in Rodger Saffold and just drafted Greg Robinson, who is slated to play Guard.

The only way Joseph starts is if Barksdale gets unseated by Robinson. Based on last year Barksdale played better than Joseph.

SierraRam

Recreational User
The Rams have a better Guard than Joseph in Rodger Saffold and just drafted Greg Robinson, who is slated to play Guard.

The only way Joseph starts is if Barksdale gets unseated by Robinson. Based on last year Barksdale played better than Joseph.

I'm worried about LT. If Long can't go we begin the shuffle... and then Joseph may start.

I believe Long's recovery is a key to our fast start; however, it is nice to have quality depth for a change!

FRO

Legend

Competition doesn't hurt.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wasn't too excited about the Joseph signing, personally. But hearing what Demoff said the other day re: the Rams' DL take on Joseph and that he was one of the best OGs they faced all year, well, it made me feel much better about it.

If the Rams luck out with him it would be a big deal for this OL. He is a nice fit provided he actually has something left because you can't have too many physical interior OL when you live in the NFC West.

I'm still holding out hope that Jones is going to step up and push for relevance, at the least a primary backup job. He's really the wildcard IMO because the buzz won't start on a guy until he actually plays some snaps and handles dudes in camp with pads on. I fully expect that buzz to start with him at that point, because given his track record he's gonna show up. And while I am with those who see him at center eventually, remember that he has played OT before and may have the feet to play RT.

The OL is going to be very fun to watch develop this time around.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
....the only way Joseph starts is if Barksdale gets unseated by Robinson. Based on last year Barksdale played better than Joseph.

If Jake Long surprises Fisher & Boudreau & is not ready then would you not start your top five OL'ers? Would this be the top five?
Barksdale
Joseph
Wells
Saffold
Robinson

Rams could fool me here & go with veteran ex all pro veteran Davin Joseph starting @ ORG. Rams just may get lucky here I so use to thinking the worse in this OL its possible things could flip finally and we catch a break. Starting DJ in his NFL post would place him in the best position to be productive for us.

Boudreau could be thinking too that teaming Robinson & Saffold together on that left side is the best way. Boudreau could fool me again by keeping Saffold inside @ OG & far from the OT posts thus inserting Saffold @ OLG with Rookie Greg Robinson holding the fort @ OLT, his post in college that resulted him being drafted #2 overall. Having the young vet Saffold starting next to Robinson on that left side would sure assist him as he gets used to the NFL speeders. Saffold played all his football life @ OLT before last season & sure could assist GR with this post being a few feet to his right.

All this is based on the playing condition of the rehabbing OLT Jake Long of course. If Jake Long can muster a start in game one Davin Joseph still could be better than we think & perfit fit for this power run first OL scheme . If Joseph is fully healed now & ready to go early then its not out of the question that he could be better than the Rookie Robinson early on never know. Thus making the top rookie Robinson the 6th OL'er thus allowing GR an easy learning curve. This also makes the best of the rest look good too.....OG/OC Barrett Jones #7, OC/OG Tim Barnes #8, OT/OG Mike Person #9 & OC D. Rhaney #10.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Of course, but in this case Joseph is not competing as a Starter. He is competing as the top Guard backup.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I would hope he's competing for a starting spot, personally.

I agree, let the best man win, regardless of contract or draft slot. If the past has taught us anything its that someone will get hurt. It will be nice to have a player or two that can come in and play.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I agree, let the best man win, regardless of contract or draft slot. If the past has taught us anything its that someone will get hurt. It will be nice to have a player or two that can come in and play.
I can agree too... I think the line most of us think will be there is penciled in, but if Joseph or anyone else just plays out of his mind at training camp, then you would have to make a change.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I would hope he's competing for a starting spot, personally.

Maybe on the surface but based on what he has done in the last few years it would seem unlikely that he wins a starting spot. As far as we know Robinson is slotted to play Guard. That is what was reported. And Saffold played a very good Guard last season. Much better than Joseph. So who do you want to let sit in favor of the veteran?

Assuming Long is healthy and ready to go then which Olineman do you think/prefer he beats out based on his recent play?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Maybe on the surface but based on what he has done in the last few years it would seem unlikely that he wins a starting spot. As far as we know Robinson is slotted to play Guard. That is what was reported. And Saffold played a very good Guard last season. Much better than Joseph. So who do you want to let sit in favor of the veteran?

Assuming Long is healthy and ready to go then which Olineman do you think/prefer he beats out based on his recent play?
It's not about what I'd prefer. It's about who has the stones to snatch the starting job and keep it.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I can agree too... I think the line most of us think will be there is penciled in, but if Joseph or anyone else just plays out of his mind at training camp, then you would have to make a change.

Big If. I am just being realistic. Joseph has had two Pro Bowl seasons in his career and is coming off an injury. He didn't play particularly well for much of last season.