Softli: It Hasn’t Clicked In Mentally for Quick Yet

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Tony Softli joined Randy K. and D’Marco Farr to talk Rams. He talks about the Draft and the Rams draft board. He wouldn’t be surprised if the Rams were to draft two offensive linemen. They may bring back a veteran guard at some point. They discuss the toughness of the Rams schedule. This is the make or break year for Brian Quick. Softli thinks signing Britt isn’t a good sign for Quick. He has all the physical attributes you’re looking for, but it hasn’t clicked in for him mentally yet.

Listen to Softli Interview

V3

Hall of Fame
If he doesn't figure it out by this season, he never will. That's why you don't take huge projects with the first pick in the second round.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Tony Softli joined Randy K. and D’Marco Farr to talk Rams. He talks about the Draft and the Rams draft board. He wouldn’t be surprised if the Rams were to draft two offensive linemen. They may bring back a veteran guard at some point. They discuss the toughness of the Rams schedule. This is the make or break year for Brian Quick. Softli thinks signing Britt isn’t a good sign for Quick. He has all the physical attributes you’re looking for, but it hasn’t clicked in for him mentally yet.

Listen to Softli Interview
Quick is most likely a huge mistake by Snead. Now the Rams are in Dusty Springfield mode with Quick (Wishin' and Hopin'). Certainly, Quick was not anywhere near worthy of the 33rd overall pick in the draft. Just trying to salvage something out of the guy is all we can really hope for.

V3

Hall of Fame
Quick is most likely a huge mistake by Snead. Now the Rams are in Dusty Springfield mode with Quick (Wishin' and Hopin'). Certainly, Quick was not anywhere near worthy of the 33rd overall pick in the draft. Just trying to salvage something out of the guy is all we can really hope for.
I'll just add that I seriously hope they learned from it. They shouldn't have had to learn such a basic rule but I can at least stomach it better knowing they won't be making similar mistakes in the future.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Or course it's also possible that Softli is wrong.

Well, Soflti has been wrong before, but what in particular are you referring to with him being wrong about this time? I don't think he's wrong about Quick. And I don't think he's wrong about Manziel.

I remember hearing prior to the start of the broadcast that Quick was likely to be our pick and thinking "WTF, please say it's not true" unfortunately it was. It's partially comforting that two of the guys I wanted (Hill and Randle) aren't much better, unlike Pead when I wanted Lavonte David, a LB corps of Laurinaitis, David and Ogletree :eek:.

I'm just praying he makes me eat my words.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Well, Soflti has been wrong before, but what in particular are you referring to with him being wrong about this time? I don't think he's wrong about Quick. And I don't think he's wrong about Manziel.

I don't believe he has a clue of whether or not things have clicked in mentally for Quick or not. Especially, when I keep reading how he wasn't getting targeted even when he was open down the field.

Also, I'm not sold that getting Kenny Britt as cheaply as they got him is a reflection on Quick anymore than the attempt to bring in Henry Melton was a reflection on Brockers or Langford. It's all about bringing in as much talent as you can for with the $$$ available.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
The writing is on the wall for Quick. If we draft Watkins then somebody has to go. I'd say that somebody would be Britt, Quick, or Pettis.

Pead and Quick may get weeded out before the season. What was looking like a good second round is turning into a bad one.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I don't believe he has a clue of whether or not things have clicked in mentally for Quick or not. Especially, when I keep reading how he wasn't getting targeted even when he was open down the field.

Also, I'm not sold that getting Kenny Britt as cheaply as they got him is a reflection on Quick anymore than the attempt to bring in Henry Melton was a reflection on Brockers or Langford. It's all about bringing in as much talent as you can for with the $$$ available.

I'm not sold on that Britt thing either. But, I just don't see much from Quick up to this point. Maybe the QB situation was the reason, don't know how much. I still believe its a big wish and hope with him, and I'm not holding my breath. IOW, if someone gave me a big blue chip to place on the table on either Quick finally gets it or not, then I'm putting my blue chip on NOT.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The writing is on the wall for Quick. If we draft Watkins then somebody has to go. I'd say that somebody would be Britt, Quick, or Pettis.

Pead and Quick may get weeded out before the season. What was looking like a good second round is turning into a bad one.

I'll say it until I'm blue in the face, but while I wasn't really big on the Pead selection, he really looks like he could be a very good 3rd down back and play a Shane Vereen (Patriots) type role for the Rams. Quick? He may never become a the so-called necessary #1 WR that so many desire, but he still looks like he could become a pretty good NFL WR to me.

V3

Hall of Fame

There's usually a reason QB's don't target WR's even when they're open. I don't believe any of the QB's last year believed in Quick to catch the ball, run the right route, make the proper adjustments, be on the same page, etc.

Memphis Ram

Legend
There's usually a reason QB's don't target WR's even when they're open. I don't believe any of the QB's last year believed in Quick to catch the ball, run the right route, make the proper adjustments, be on the same page, etc.

Of course, that could be a Quick issue. But, it could also be a QB/OC issue, too (potential elephant in the room).

PhxRam

Of course, that could be a Quick issue. But, it could also be a QB/OC issue, too (potential elephant in the room).

And if that is the case i am sure he gave less then 100% effort on every play knowing he wasnt going to be targeted.

Muleman

UDFA
I'm like everyone else in that I'm disappointed in Quick not being able to get on the field consistently. And I get the fact that many say we shouldn't have spent an early 2 on him as you want to hit on those picks. But I'm actually ok with it, and here's why. At times we are going to have to make that reach pick on potential if it has a high reward associated with it. Because if we don't take a few shots every once and a while, the odds of having a team full of good players sprinkled with a handful of elite players isn't going to happen. We will have a team with just good players that may or may not be good enough to get the job done. And we are going to be consistently picking middle to later half of the round. When I watch playoff football, I see teams with good players and a few elite players mixed in.
Back to Quick. Guess we could have taken Jenkins since he was rated higher than Quick and considered a much safer pick without near the upside, if that other team didn't take him in the first round before us. Not sure we would have liked how that pick played out either. Nobody hits on all picks and with that being said, I like for my team to do a little speculating on an occasional pick (swing for the fence mentality) as long as we are still making real sound football choices on the others. I don't mind striking out a few times as long as we can hit a few deep balls along the way.
I agree that this year will determine Quick's future with the Rams. I don't think he has to be the number 1 WR this year, but I will and think the Rams will need to see continued improvement. My guess is the Rams are likely to keep 6 WR on the 53 this year which helps him some.

Go Rams

lockdnram21

Legend
imo Quick should have been the last player besides Bailey for our Qbs to be scared to throw him the ball when he was open. Quick only had the 2 drops vs carolina and the pass in his back. if anything Givens,Austin and even Cook should have been the ones they were scared to throw it to. imo this will be a big year. i honestly think he will be one of the starters this up coming season

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Seems like I always like the players nobody else does. I have one eye and that one eye saw Quick open on his fair share of plays. Now I know there is a lot of Bradford love around here and I hate to break the news to everyone but SB doesn't always see the open WR.

lockdnram21

Legend
Seems like I always like the players nobody else does. I have one eye and that one eye saw Quick open on his fair

share of plays. Now I know there is a lot of Bradford love around here and I hate to break the news to everyone but SB doesn't always see the open WR.

clemens doesnt either