So wife and I are lookin at Missouri for retirement

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Basically gonna be wrappin up 30 years of naval service here soon and the wife and I are thinking about sellin out of the west, reaping the property values, and buying a nice cheap couple acres in Mo where she's got a metric $hit-ton of family. I know some of you are locals and whatnot, so wanted to see what you guys felt about the different regions.

Been looking mostly around Springfield, and the Ozark Plateau. Branson seems a bit overpriced. Also considering the Ozark Lakes areas but afraid of flooding; really don't want to deal with that BS.

Any inputs or suggestions on hidden gem type areas appreciated.

ozarkram

Hall of Shame
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Springfield while a nice town for its size is still to large for my taste. Branson while beautiful is a tourist trap. My apologies to Bransonites. The lake of the Ozarks has become a playground for the rich inflating everything. My suggestion such as it is for you would be a fifty mile radius of Fort Leonard Wood. South would be the best direction. You will get the best bang for your buck. You can take advantage of your benefits and health care at the base. You would be in the middle of the Mark Twain National Forest and the Ozark scenic riverways. Two hours from St. Louis, 90 minutes from Springfield/Branson. If I can help in any way please let me know.

Last edited:

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Thanks for your service!
Rolle is pretty nice and is 20 minutes NE of FLW and 1.5 hours SE from Lambert/ St. Louis. Offers fishing, hunting, and rafting if you're into that stuff. I assume housing is reasonable there as well. Even has some shopping.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I used to live in the Cassville area about 8 years. The Roaring River - Shell Knob area is kinda amazing, the trout fishing at RR is legit & it's the most visited state park in MO. Hospitals in SGF about an hour away. Branson less than an hour (from Shell Knob). Shell Knob has a lot of retirees, might be a nice community for you all to check out. Promenade Shopping in Rogers, AR is less than an hour away, along with all the restaurants there & in Branson. Too many hiking trails to count, boat rentals, hunting, fishing, canoeing, kayaking, etc. etc. Lots of 2BR lake properties in the area for sale at reasonable prices, most in the $200k range, but there's lots of property to build on as well, some real nice lake developments if that's more your price range.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
that's for your service , (y)

as far a Missouri goes

no clue

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Basically gonna be wrappin up 30 years of naval service here soon and the wife and I are thinking about sellin out of the west, reaping the property values, and buying a nice cheap couple acres in Mo where she's got a metric $hit-ton of family. I know some of you are locals and whatnot, so wanted to see what you guys felt about the different regions.

Been looking mostly around Springfield, and the Ozark Plateau. Branson seems a bit overpriced. Also considering the Ozark Lakes areas but afraid of flooding; really don't want to deal with that BS.

You and @EastRam are retired military on the board.......great job.

Maybe you and @Mackeyser can start a commune or something up in Minny haha.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Thank you for your service, @Merlin

As far as Missouri goes, I don't know much about the county, unfortunately. I'd love the opportunity to meet up with you and your folks for, maybe, a Blues game or something like that? If that's all right with you, of course. :)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Springfield while a nice town for its size is still to large for my taste. Branson while beautiful is a tourist trap. My apologies to Bransonites. The lake of the Ozarks has become a playground for the rich inflating everything. My suggestion such as it is for you would be a fifty mile radius of Fort Leonard Wood. South would be the best direction. You will get the best bang for your buck. You can take advantage of your benefits and health care at the base. You would be in the middle of the Mark Twain National Forest and the Ozark scenic riverways. Two hours from St. Louis, 90 minutes from Springfield/Branson. If I can help in any way please let me know.

Nice breakdown man, thanks. Will definitely scroll the map over and check that area out. (y)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks for your service!
Rolle is pretty nice and is 20 minutes NE of FLW and 1.5 hours SE from Lambert/ St. Louis. Offers fishing, hunting, and rafting if you're into that stuff. I assume housing is reasonable there as well. Even has some shopping.

Yeah looked at Rolla and south of it a bit, lotta retirees south forget town name maybe Salem. Didn't realize that region there offers the hunting/fishing/rafting, really what I need to do at some point is head over with the little woman when she visits her pops.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe you and @Mackeyser can start a commune or something up in Minny haha.

Already ruled out the lakes area, for too many reasons lol. Plus I detest the sports teams up there. :puke:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thank you for your service, @Merlin

As far as Missouri goes, I don't know much about the county, unfortunately. I'd love the opportunity to meet up with you and your folks for, maybe, a Blues game or something like that? If that's all right with you, of course. :)

Yeah if and when we set up out there I'm all for meetin up with fellow RODers. Still a bit up in the air but the wife's pushin hard lol since her family is out there and whatnot.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Thanks for your service, shipmate!

30 years? How long you gotta be in dry dock to scrape off all those barnacles??? Hahahahaha

Anyway, enjoy the great outdoors and no matter where you end up, fair winds and following seas!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

You sir are a wise man. Yes, her family is all near STL lol.