So...What's Your Take On Austin Davis Now?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamWoodie

Legend
He looked good last night...however he still needs to work on blitz pickup...that's where he looks lost at times, seeing where the blitz is coming from.

The strange thing is this guy just doesn't do well in camp...and it's crazy! From all the camp reports he's erratic and out of sync.

Last night he looked better than both Hoyer and Manziel...:D Now I know it's preseason but Davis, no doubt Davis made it hard to just dump him now.

Let's kick it around...how do you feel about Austin Davis?

A55VA6

Legend
I think he's okay but he's a very erratic. I don't even want to think about Austin Davis going up against Seattle...

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I want to see him complete some balls down field.
He has done a pretty good job when he's had time in the pocket.
To me, he looks to be ahead of Gilbert. Gilbert has a ways to go.

He knows the offense though.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
This was one of the only good games of his career though. I'm not sure if he just improved immensely when had to, or if this is just an outlier.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, he did beat Brett Fav-ruh's record in college for most TD passes by a freshman, so...

In all honesty, you don't know what you're made of until you're thrown into the fire.
So I'd like to see that I guess.

RamWoodie

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think he's okay but he's a very erratic. I don't even want to think about Austin Davis going up against Seattle...
Okay. Explain "erratic"...are you talking about in camp, because I've heard that from many camp reports and I have no reason to doubt that.

I didn't see erratic last night. I saw a guy that early on didn't read a blitz, didn't adjust to it, so he got sacked. I think that was about his 3rd play. After that...I saw a guy that can throw pretty good, improvise pretty good, and scramble well. I keep in mind it was preseason though.

I listened to Faulk talk about the kid...and he thinks Davis can find a place in the league

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
This was one of the only good games of his career though. I'm not sure if he just improved immensely when had to, or if this is just an outlier.
Politely diagree.
I thought he looked better than Gilbert in the first preseason game.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I was impressed with Davis last night.
I think he could be an adequate QB if he can be more consistent.
I would like to keep him on the roster and try to put Gilbert on the P.S.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Politely diagree.
I thought he looked better than Gilbert in the first preseason game.
Better than Gilbert doesn't mean he was good though. I thought they were both awful, just Davis slightly less awful.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Better than Gilbert doesn't mean he was good though. I thought they were both awful, just Davis slightly less awful.
I don't think Davis played awful the first game. He seems to k ow the offense. Which helps.
I also saw some good things from Gilbert early on. His play did tail off though. He is further away from the 53 at the moment.

But I get what your saying. Does either one deserve to be on the 53?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought for sure that he would be cut...Now, not so sure.

Alan

Legend
He's the same QB who sucked during the whole preseason and all of last year. Remember what happened when a certain Packer QB threw for about 20 TDs in a game? How'd that work out?

fearsomefour

Legend
Bad mechanics, ball floats on him sometimes, slow delivery, bad deep arm.....but, he is a gamer and can make some plays. Im fine with him as a back up guy.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm assuming everyone saw Davis play last night?
He lead our 2's against their 1's and kept the offense playing at a highly successful level.
He wasn't perfect at all... but he looked a lot like Kellen Clemons with less erratic throws. In an emergency, he is an option we could play and maybe even sometimes win with.

RamWoodie

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm assuming everyone saw Davis play last night?
He lead our 2's against their 1's and kept the offense playing at a highly successful level.
He wasn't perfect at all... but he looked a lot like Kellen Clemons with less erratic throws. In an emergency, he is an option we could play and maybe even sometimes win with.
This is what I saw from the kid as a rookie. He was impressive...BUT there was no doubt he needed work. Last year he wasn't ready, and he got cut and then brought back when Sam went down.

There's a week to go before final cuts...If they don't stroll Sam out there at all next week...Austin Davis get's another shot to prove himself.