So, just how long can Rams keep their SB window open?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’m beginning to think indefinitely IF they can keep certain ingredients onboard.

Kroenke
Demoff/Pastoors
Snead and his crack scouting staff

None of the above are going anywhere anytime soon. Trust me.

McVay and his endless stream of great asst coaches. I think McVay sticks around for 5 more years before taking a TV gig.
Stafford. Team MVP and likely stays for 5 years, maybe more. He will finish his career as a Ram.
Kupp. Same thing. He finishes his career as a Ram.
Allen Robinson. Early to call it but I consider him an elite talent and one that Rams keep for another 5 years.
OBJ. Yeah, I’m speculating but I do see him signed for another 3 years which will make our WR virtually unstoppable.
Ramsey. Best CB in league and still young.

It’s no stretch to call those above 6 guys elite at their respective positions.

They are joined by a host of other players that are near-elite themselves at various positions too numerous to name. Wagner, Hav, Gaines being just a few examples.

Yeah, there is a cap. But that sucker is going up big time over the coming years and Rams are playing it like virtuosos.

What up and coming asst coach would NOT want to work for McVay?

What FA would NOT want to play alongside these elite players?

What GM and scouting dept is better than these guys at bringing in talent via mid round draft picks, trades, and FA?

Those are 3 tremendous built-in Ram advantages.

The two keys to continuing this winning trajectory are the Rams future of McVay and Stafford. All other player personnel seem endlessly renewable. And, like I said, I foresee both McVay and Stafford sticking around for another 5 years. Each is in the perfect NFL environment for their respective talents and each is perfect for the other.

Thoughts?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Assuming that the ownership, front office and McVay remain, the next key will be the QB position post-Stafford.

Can’t win multiple Super Bowls with average QB play.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Until Arch Manning is their next first round pick​

Playing at Texas next year, always wanted his grandfather in the 70's for the Rams. Anyway, I do believe with Snead & McVay they can keep it going for awhile, hopefully, 3-4 more years until a reboot and that's when young Arch will be available.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I am getting the feeling McVay has a natural break coming when Stafford hangs them up. That might jive with AD too. But I think McVay is the window because he maximizes talent and has an eye for coach hires too.

Figure we have two years minimum, so two more shots at titles. And again the moment he wants to hang them up I would offer him the GM or even Team President role and make him my right hand man in the org. That may be his preference, vice doing TV. I would make the TV networks work hard for him.

dang

Legend

Until Arch Manning is their next first round pick​

Playing at Texas next year, always wanted his grandfather in the 70's for the Rams. Anyway, I do believe with Snead & McVay they can keep it going for awhile, hopefully, 3-4 more years until a reboot and that's when young Arch will be available.
He won’t likely be available with the Rams 2nd round pick.

Judge Doom

Margot Robbie's Future Love Slave
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we get a decent QB when Stafford does hang his cleats up, I see no reason we can't be a contender for years to come(Besides being one while he is still here).

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I hope the optimism expressed above proves to be 100% correct; and I am proven to be a negative fool.

However, I am still reveling in the success of this past season; and will forever be grateful. It’s just so difficult to win a Lombardi.

Kroenke is 75.

McVay can cash-in $100M-plus to watch and talk about one football game a week. I would do that for pizza and beer. And I would bring the beer!

McVay can step-away in a few years, collect huge-$, re-charge and then come back to coaching. That may seem like the best way-to-go once Donald retires, and Stafford, Kupp and Ramsey begin to show their age.

Most of the Rams’ top players are in their late-20s or older.

I am in the camp of enjoying and appreciating where the Rams are right now; and not thinking much beyond the next two years.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm not thinking about down the road either. The Rams look to have another stacked roster for another run at it. I'm enjoying while I can. I think the window will stay wide open for at least a couple more years. Probably longer.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don't think McVay stays past Stafford. I think he'll take a good long break from coaching at that point.
But... I think Kroenke has set up a good organization and has set things up for an easy transition when he dies or decides to step away some.
With that in place.. I'm very interested to see how Snead and company rebuild, post-McVay.
One thing I'm kinda curious about... is if someone like Cohen turns down HC opportunities next offseason... that might be a breadcrumb.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
As long as the cap keeps going up, they'll find ways to spend future money on the NOW.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
As long as Donald, Kupp, Stafford, and Ramsey are in horns and playing at an elite level, and McVay is around as head coach, the Rams will be a top contender. You can churn the pieces around those players as the years go by due to other players earning bigger contracts elsewhere, injuries occurring, etc. And the Rams are absolute experts at doing that. But the aforementioned core will keep the Rams firmly in the contender circle, IMO

It does not seem likely to me that Donald will play past his current contract. The fact there was no extension, IMO, was telling. As a selfish Rams fan, I do hope Donald plays longer. We will see. One thing is for sure, it has been an absolute joy watching ADD99's truly historic career from day 1 to eventual retirement, all of it is horns.

Based on the above, I would say the Rams window as an elite contender is open until at least the end of the 2024 season, at a minimum, barring injuries or an unexpected drop off in play from any of their superstar players.

oldnotdead

Legend
I've been saying for a long time that McVay stays only as long as Stafford stays. Stafford will play as long as his arm holds out. I don't think we can minimize the impact of tendonitis of his elbow. It could become arthritic and at that point, his arm talent will drop with it. Many a golfer and tennis player can attest to that.

Looking at key contracts again I think the prime window is the next two years perhaps 3. Then it's year to year after that. This team can still be pretty good without AD but there is no question it could drop from an elite defense to good. Can this team win without McVay? Absolutely, because I think at some point he would hand pick his successor.

Snead's formula is sustainable as long as the cap continues to increase. As long as that happens Snead can continue to stock this team with talent. Even after McVay and Stafford, this team can stay in contention with the right coaches in place.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I've been saying for a long time that McVay stays only as long as Stafford stays. Stafford will play as long as his arm holds out. I don't think we can minimize the impact of tendonitis of his elbow. It could become arthritic and at that point, his arm talent will drop with it. Many a golfer and tennis player can attest to that.

Looking at key contracts again I think the prime window is the next two years perhaps 3. Then it's year to year after that. This team can still be pretty good without AD but there is no question it could drop from an elite defense to good. Can this team win without McVay? Absolutely, because I think at some point he would hand pick his successor.

Snead's formula is sustainable as long as the cap continues to increase. As long as that happens Snead can continue to stock this team with talent. Even after McVay and Stafford, this team can stay in contention with the right coaches in place.

Hopefully Stafford can hold up. His tendonitis does concern me. On the other hand, other QBs recently from his generation have played up to and into their 40s at an MVP level so we shall see.

Stafford was excellent last year but I was very surprised how his deep ball often was well under thrown, and it was hardly an isolated incident. Again, we'll see.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
McVay to broadcasting was way overblown. He’s said that himself. He’s also said that he loves coaching. All he ever really said about retiring is that he doesn’t see himself doing this until he’s old.

I don’t think he’s anywhere near ready to retire and even if Stafford retires with a few others I could see him trying to rebuild another winner. Maybe he retires in ten years.

The current window will close when the current roster dissipates. But he’ll try to open a new one.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
McVay to broadcasting was way overblown. He’s said that himself. He’s also said that he loves coaching. All he ever really said about retiring is that he doesn’t see himself doing this until he’s old.

I don’t think he’s anywhere near ready to retire and even if Stafford retires with a few others I could see him trying to rebuild another winner. Maybe he retires in ten years.

The current window will close when the current roster dissipates. But he’ll try to open a new one.
I agree.

I don’t see McVay pulling an Asshole Face and bailing on our organization after Stafford. He will find Stafford‘s successor and we will have a new window.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
The window stays open, with a few dips along the way, as long as Kronke keeps spending and the front office stays in tact. Lets hope he lives long and prospers.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I’m beginning to think indefinitely IF they can keep certain ingredients onboard.

Kroenke
Demoff/Pastoors
Snead and his crack scouting staff

None of the above are going anywhere anytime soon. Trust me.

McVay and his endless stream of great asst coaches. I think McVay sticks around for 5 more years before taking a TV gig.
Stafford. Team MVP and likely stays for 5 years, maybe more. He will finish his career as a Ram.
Kupp. Same thing. He finishes his career as a Ram.
Allen Robinson. Early to call it but I consider him an elite talent and one that Rams keep for another 5 years.
OBJ. Yeah, I’m speculating but I do see him signed for another 3 years which will make our WR virtually unstoppable.
Ramsey. Best CB in league and still young.

It’s no stretch to call those above 6 guys elite at their respective positions.

They are joined by a host of other players that are near-elite themselves at various positions too numerous to name. Wagner, Hav, Gaines being just a few examples.

Yeah, there is a cap. But that sucker is going up big time over the coming years and Rams are playing it like virtuosos.

What up and coming asst coach would NOT want to work for McVay?

What FA would NOT want to play alongside these elite players?

What GM and scouting dept is better than these guys at bringing in talent via mid round draft picks, trades, and FA?

Those are 3 tremendous built-in Ram advantages.

The two keys to continuing this winning trajectory are the Rams future of McVay and Stafford. All other player personnel seem endlessly renewable. And, like I said, I foresee both McVay and Stafford sticking around for another 5 years. Each is in the perfect NFL environment for their respective talents and each is perfect for the other.

Thoughts?
Keys for me in keeping this winning going:

Having WR's Kupp/Robinson/OBJ signed will sure keep McVay involved & interested to remain here as the HC. McVay enjoys the passing game tremendously.

Another is attention needs to continue towards grooming a talented backup QB ready to smoothly slide in & out as Stafford gets injured & grows old getting more & more worn down. It appears that protecting Stafford needs to be more of a priority. Taking him out of games when his risks increase dramatically or having the backup get many more reps in games that the Rams are leading and put the HD weight on Donald/ Wagner/ Ramsey.