So could Bartell be a cap casualty?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Our sources in St. Louis would not be totally shocked if Rams CB Ron Bartell, a medical risk coming back from a fractured neck, becomes a salary-cap casualty.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/0 ... ign-bryant

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not so sure it's a "medical risk" that's the issue here in as much as its his 6.2M salary. So could they extend him since this is his "contract year", or would a fear of his neck injury prevent that? And if they DO release him, would that make Claiborne a more attractive option in the draft?

Here's his contract details:
3/2/2009: Signed a four-year, $25 million contract. The deal contains $13.6 million guaranteed, including a $5 million signing bonus and Bartell's base salaries in years one and two. Another $3 million is available through incentives. 2012: $6.2 million, 2013: Free Agent

And according to Balzer two months ago (on Twitter):
Some good news for Rams: CB Ron Bartell out of neck brace. Bone is healed. Didn't need surgery. Said he is definitely playing next season..

I'd sure hate to lose that guy. He and Fletch make a pretty good pair of corners. However, like almost everyone else on the team, there's now an injury history to be concerned with.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I would hate to lose him also. Nice big corners are tough to find and he was just starting to round into a legit shutdown corner before the injury. If the team physician can clear him (fully), I would expect us to try and keep him if not at a reduced salary.

superfan24

Starter
Definitely do not want to lose him either. Besides the fact that it would create another need/hole on the roster, I would like to see this D kept together.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Faceplant said:
I would hate to lose him also. Nice big corners are tough to find and he was just starting to round into a legit shutdown corner before the injury. If the team physician can clear him (fully), I would expect us to try and keep him if not at a reduced salary.
I think he's already been cleared, as he didn't have any surgery. I don't know how they can keep him at a reduced salary either, because he's scheduled to be a free agent next year and has no incentive to play for less money. I guess that would hinge on other teams' interest (or lack thereof) in signing him. How's that work anyway? Would they have to cut him and let him test the market if he refuses to take a pay cut? And then match someone else's offer sheet? Or offer him more, because now you insulted the guy by cutting him?

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I think it all depends on if we sign Cortland Finnegan. If we do Im not sure we can afford to have both.

Bartell may be heeled up, but it to early to tell if he will ever return to his previous form. That makes him risky and thus expendable at that cap figure.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
X said:
Faceplant said:
I think he's already been cleared, as he didn't have any surgery. I don't know how they can keep him at a reduced salary either, because he's scheduled to be a free agent next year and has no incentive to play for less money. I guess that would hinge on other teams' interest (or lack thereof) in signing him. How's that work anyway? Would they have to cut him and let him test the market if he refuses to take a pay cut? And then match someone else's offer sheet? Or offer him more, because now you insulted the guy by cutting him?

Maybe restructure/extend his contract like we are hoping to do with CL?? I guess it comes down to whether or not he would be willing to do that or if he wants to test FA next year (kinda the same scenario as CL).

steferfootball

Starter
I'm more concerned about Fletcher. Two ACL tears on the same knee in three years.

It is sad, cause both players have looked really good.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
steferfootball said:
I'm more concerned about Fletcher. Two ACL tears on the same knee in three years.

That's kind of where I'm at. Bartell had a scary injury with his neck, but by his own account he's 100% and ready to go at it again. A busted neck might make a guy play a little more cautious, but I don't imagine it affects his game speed or leaping/cutting ability like a(nother) knee surgery would.

Bartell I'd keep, Fletcher logically should be the bigger question mark. Although I'm sure his money is nowhere near what Bartell's is. I guess they keep saying NFL is a business.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Warner4Prez said:
steferfootball said:

That's kind of where I'm at. Bartell had a scary injury with his neck, but by his own account he's 100% and ready to go at it again. A busted neck might make a guy play a little more cautious, but I don't imagine it affects his game speed or leaping/cutting ability like a(nother) knee surgery would.

Bartell I'd keep, Fletcher logically should be the bigger question mark. Although I'm sure his money is nowhere near what Bartell's is. I guess they keep saying NFL is a business.

Fletcher signed a 4 year deal totaling just over 2.5 mill. Bartell is due to make 3 times that(6.2 base + up to 3 mn in incentives) just this next year.

So per dollar risk is a lot lower with Fletcher.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
superfan24 said:
Definitely do not want to lose him either. Besides the fact that it would create another need/hole on the roster, I would like to see this D kept together.
That's my point. We cut Bartell and we're almost bound to seek a FA replacement. 6.2 sounds like a high number, but what would we pay for Finnegan, for example? As for his injury, there's all kinds of time before training camp to learn if he's still thinking about it instead of just playing.

Bartell = Finnegan. Different type of players but both are good. I'd rather have both than just one.

Lesson

Oh, really?
I'd be interested in Brandon Carr, depending on how much it would cost to cut Bartell.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

finnegan is looking for $11m per year. bartell looks much more appealing, money and playwise.

if the rams draft claiborne they are set at cb, and he will only cost $5m per year. and have the chance of having an elite cb in the nfl if claiborne lives up to his potential.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Lesson said:
I'd be interested in Brandon Carr, depending on how much it would cost to cut Bartell.

Agreed. Its not a knock on Finnegan. Hes an established player, he would bring an attitude, toughness, and leadership to this D. Out of all the FA CBs, I like Carr them most. Hes a young kid thats already been pretty good and should only get better.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Finnegan gets 11m a year, I will find, then punch a unicorn.....

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Finnegan is believed to be seeking a deal that would pay him an average of somewhere between $9.5-$11 million per season. The Titans last offer was a $28 million, four-year package back in August. Finnegan's camp countered with an offer somewhere around $50 million total, leaving the two sides far apart.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=n ... ith_myself

he won't take $7m per year.

i'm not even sure he's worth that much.

Lesson

Oh, really?
kurtfaulk said:
Finnegan is believed to be seeking a deal that would pay him an average of somewhere between $9.5-$11 million per season. The Titans last offer was a $28 million, four-year package back in August. Finnegan's camp countered with an offer somewhere around $50 million total, leaving the two sides far apart.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=n ... ith_myself

he won't take $7m per year.

i'm not even sure he's worth that much.

If he's asking for more than $7 mil., no thanks.

If Smith renegotiated, who knows how much cap that would free up to get an upgrade.