Snead's legacy as GM

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Listening to all the hubbub around the league and one thing I think many of them are overlooking is what Snead has done in drafting very well as their regime settles in, and by this I mean the front office and scouting department.

Now I know Fish is probably the 51% on decisions. But still he is beholden to the quality of the overall scouting department, and how well these guys put the data together and bake it all out for the decision makers. He's also beholden to Snead's ability to make moves to aggressively get the players they target.

Judging the first two drafts, well, they were meh. 2012 netted four long term starters (Brock, Jenks, Tru, and GZ), well five if you count UDFA McLeod. But none were elite players. 2013 netted three long term starters in a smaller class (Tavon, Ogletree, TJM).

Now 2014's draft is still a bit fresh, but right now there are five who look like they will be long term starters (GRob, Donald, Joyner, Alexander, and Gaines). Of those, they finally hit on an elite player in Donald. Some may argue Alexander, but IMO he's come along very, very well and is going to factor in bigtime next year for the Rams.

2015's draft class looks to have included four guys that will be long term starters (Gurley, Havenstein, Brown, and Wichmann). One is already clearly an elite player in Gurley. I suspect Havenstein has pro bowls in his future, just my opinion, while the Rams are talking up Brown.

Bottom line is the quality of those last two classes is unarguably higher. Two consecutive rookies of the year ensure that right now Snead is looked at as one of the better GMs in this league. If he were fired with Fish at the end of last season, for example, he would have been hired quickly. But now they are in a position with a five player draft class after dealing a LOT of picks that would have nicely padded his resume.

Of those five picks, four are in rounds 4 and 6. That's a tough, tough way to make hay in this league man. And it means that he's gotta hit a home run on this QB pick at 1 overall. I don't know about you guys, but after the last couple drafts being as good as they were I think Snead and Fish might just get it right. Either way I'm excited, and I think the extra focus they're going to inevitably put on rounds 4 and 6 might help them to hit big on one or two of them.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Snead's legacy will be his trading in the draft.

Up

Down

He is a dealer. That is what he'll be remembered for. I hope he's around a long time.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I agree.
They took over a pretty bad team, cleaned house and built through the draft.
We can already beat any team in the league on any given day. Our Rams are competitive and scrappy.

Lets get this offense rolling and win at a more consistent level.

Ram65

Legend
To early to tell. Some good and some bad moves.

I think and hope it all works out soon. I like him but he isn't perfect.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have a bit of man crush on snead right now ... the guy is wheeler dealer ..and has a huge set of minerals

tempests

Hall of Fame
One of the league's movers and shakers.

Rams have been among the league's most compelling and successful teams in the draft, and I see a team president job down the line for him if on the field success follows.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I know. That's why I had the dumb guy, you know, saying it. (y) (Think of him as my glue-sniffing alter ego.:) )

wondered why you had the barney smiley .....consider me corrected :)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Nobody is perfect, but comparing him to other GMs he has to be considered one of the better ones out there, doesn't he?

One thing that stands out is the ability to find talent later in the draft and after it. If the Rams ever start winning and going deep into the playoffs, we will find out what Snead is really worth. Drafting late in rounds 1/2 is a different game, but his success in later rounds makes me believe that he will be fine.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like Snead, says the right things has never stated it was not his decision and has great hair too...Only thing I will hold against him is he's an Auburn alum.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think the book on Snead is incomplete. We're judging him on his ability to make bold moves. Now comes the hard part. The on field success. Start winning and he's a hot commodity. I'm on board with the latest move. Of course, its not like I have a choice. :cool:

Psycho_X

Legend
He definitely has the ability to go get what he wants. I'll give him credit for that. I think there's a little too much drafting on potential and based off of workouts which has created some frustrating players to watch such as Quick. And so far to date his drafting of offensive skill positions has been pretty awful. There's hope for the o-line last season. And coaching could be part of the issue on offense. But the team is definitely more talented and deeper then it was when he got here. The next step though is can he finally draft the pieces needed for even an average offense. He's built a good base of a team but I need to see a team capable of winning playoff games before I'll give him the gold star.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Nobody is perfect, but comparing him to other GMs he has to be considered one of the better ones out there, doesn't he?

One thing that stands out is the ability to find talent later in the draft and after it. If the Rams ever start winning and going deep into the playoffs, we will find out what Snead is really worth. Drafting late in rounds 1/2 is a different game, but his success in later rounds makes me believe that he will be fine.

If he resigned as GM and there were 10 openings for GM in the NFL every single one of the teams would be calling him. Every. Single. One.

rdw

Pro Bowler

Not to pick on you but who is perfect? Compared to previous regimes Snead is a breath of fresh air!

Just one humble Rams fan opinion..

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Listening to all the hubbub around the league and one thing I think many of them are overlooking is what Snead has done in drafting very well as their regime settles in, and by this I mean the front office and scouting department.

Now I know Fish is probably the 51% on decisions. But still he is beholden to the quality of the overall scouting department, and how well these guys put the data together and bake it all out for the decision makers. He's also beholden to Snead's ability to make moves to aggressively get the players they target.

Judging the first two drafts, well, they were meh. 2012 netted four long term starters (Brock, Jenks, Tru, and GZ), well five if you count UDFA McLeod. But none were elite players. 2013 netted three long term starters in a smaller class (Tavon, Ogletree, TJM).

Now 2014's draft is still a bit fresh, but right now there are five who look like they will be long term starters (GRob, Donald, Joyner, Alexander, and Gaines). Of those, they finally hit on an elite player in Donald. Some may argue Alexander, but IMO he's come along very, very well and is going to factor in bigtime next year for the Rams.

2015's draft class looks to have included four guys that will be long term starters (Gurley, Havenstein, Brown, and Wichmann). One is already clearly an elite player in Gurley. I suspect Havenstein has pro bowls in his future, just my opinion, while the Rams are talking up Brown.

Bottom line is the quality of those last two classes is unarguably higher. Two consecutive rookies of the year ensure that right now Snead is looked at as one of the better GMs in this league. If he were fired with Fish at the end of last season, for example, he would have been hired quickly. But now they are in a position with a five player draft class after dealing a LOT of picks that would have nicely padded his resume.

Of those five picks, four are in rounds 4 and 6. That's a tough, tough way to make hay in this league man. And it means that he's gotta hit a home run on this QB pick at 1 overall. I don't know about you guys, but after the last couple drafts being as good as they were I think Snead and Fish might just get it right. Either way I'm excited, and I think the extra focus they're going to inevitably put on rounds 4 and 6 might help them to hit big on one or two of them.
Nice Op!! I agree completely!!:D

Bomb!.jpg
like.png