Snead: We expect to get Tavon more involved in the passing game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
St. Louis Rams GM Les Snead joins Doug Gottlieb to discuss the Rams draft picks. Snead’s goals going the draft: Goal #1: Get Gurley if he was available. Goal #2: Add multiple quality offensive linemen. Goal #3: Add a QB that we think has a future in the NFL. Snead says the teams believe in the Rams WR’s…”we expect to get Tavon more involved in the passing game.”

Watch Snead Talk Rams Draft

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Good. I think he's ready to break out in a big way. Three years is the magic number for most players in the league. Let's watch him and Stedman dominate.

V3

Hall of Fame
By running the ball most of the time. What a waste of two picks.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
By running the ball most of the time. What a waste of two picks.
I wouldn't call them wastes (yet).

But this is what can happen when you're not true to yourself.

Back in 2013, they decided to go in the direction of a spread offense... it was supposed to make Bradford more comfortable/effective and - with the additions of Cook, Long, Austin, Bailey, etc. - score more points.

Unfortunately, it didn't happen and, after about 5 games, Fisher pulled back the reigns and returned to the run more... some guy named Stacy emerged... ;)

If you want to blame Fisher for anything, it might be for giving up too soon on the concept.

Now, we've done a 180 and I'm wondering how - exactly - they are going to make guys like Austin and Bailey more effective if they run the ball a lot.

Not ready to say they were wasted picks... but, with the new strategy, not sure they will become all they could be... which is a shame.

lockdnram21

Legend
I wouldn't call them wastes (yet).

Back in 2013, they decided to go in the direction of a spread offense... it was supposed to make Bradford more comfortable/effective and - with the additions of Cook, Long, Austin, Bailey, etc. - score more points.

Unfortunately, it didn't happen and, after about 5 games, Fisher pulled back the reigns and returned to the run more... some guy named Stacy emerged... ;)

If you want to blame Fisher for anything, it might be for giving up too soon on the concept.

Now, we've done a 180 and I'm wondering how - exactly - they are going to make guys like Austin and Bailey more effective if they run the ball a lot.

Not ready to say they were wasted picks... but, with the new strategy, not sure they will become all they could be... which is a shame.
Either way Bailey will be part of it don't know about Austin. Bailey would have contributed more last season if it wasn't for suspension

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Well, year 3 was when Brian Quick "got more involved in the passing game" and really asserted his physicality over NFL DBs. I like to think that TA will do something similar - minus the physicality, but plus the elusiveness - in his own junior year.

V3

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't cal them wastes (yet).

I think Tavon was overdrafted even if we were still running a more pass-heavy scheme. You don't give up two top picks for a player that isn't a #1 WR(felt the same when he was picked). Now we're in a run heavy scheme. He stands no chance of living up to his draft status.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If T.Austin becomes a Pro bowl punt returner and the Rams make it to the playoffs no one will care where he was drafted three years ago.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But what you guys are not mentioning is that last year, we passed more than we ran...

They attempted 515 passes and ran the ball 395 times. That's 56.5%/43.5%.

If the plan is to run more, the only way these guys are going to get better numbers is if - when they touch the ball (which I'm guessing will be less), they really make things happen.

It could work.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
But what you guys are not mentioning is that last year, we passed more than we ran...

If the plan is to run more, the only way these guys are going to get better numbers is if - when they touch the ball (which I'm guessing will be less), they really make things happen.

It could work.
That's a good point. A 1-2 punch of Gurley/Mason could soften up the D, get them cheating to the line, and make the (fewer) passing opportunities for bigger chunks. TA is deadly if he can get off the line and the safety is cheating in to stop the run.

fancents86

Starter
image.jpg

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
...But this is what can happen when you're not true to yourself.

I don't see this as a change of strategy at all. Even with the power running / high percentage passing offense, it has to be balanced with a passing game so they don't put 11 people in the box.

The trick to that is having at least one home run hitter who can take the top off the defense.

For sure, Tavon will continue to run the misdirection jet sweeps and reverses. But if the DL is on their heels from getting run-pounded and the safeties and LBs have crept forward to help out, and you do a play action fake / 5 step drop with extra pass protection (RB + TE), that gives you a good 3-4 seconds for your WRs to run deep patterns out in the secondary. It is TOUGH TOUGH TOUGH to track a guy like Austin for 1.5 seconds, much less 3-4. That's what made Desean Jackson and Jeremy Macklin so successful in Philly, and we know that Foles likes to find his deep speedsters.

It also helps in defensive / field position battles to have a guy who can flip the field position or take one the distance in the blink of an eye. That's Austin. And he has always been part of the plan.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I think Tavon was overdrafted even if we were still running a more pass-heavy scheme. You don't give up two top picks for a player that isn't a #1 WR(felt the same when he was picked). Now we're in a run heavy scheme. He stands no chance of living up to his draft status.

What they did in the draft wasn't going in a new direction IMHO, it was filling in the weakness, adding to what we already have, balancing the team.

I'm not buying into the idea that the Rams will be run heavy. It ignores the passing potential on this team. Foles has a propensity to throw long "go up and get it" passes. You don't grab Foles and Mannion if you don't want to throw bombs.

If we are going to win ANY of the first 6 games, we will need the pass. The O line will be getting tested and working out the kinks, Gurley probably won't be playing or lightly used, and the Rams have a stable of big play pass catchers. I'm not ignoring that TM is a good rusher behind a freshly minted run blocking O-line, I'm just also not ignoring the pass potential of this team.

My guess is, regardless of intentions, the Rams find they can kill with the pass early in the season and it becomes a balanced attack. I see pass heavy play calling early in games and a switch to run heavy after we have a solid lead. Eat up the clock, let the defense do its thing and take the ball back. If it becomes a run heavy team, it will be great because it will mean we are leading early and wining games, IMO.

Athos

Legend

It could work.

I'm gonna imagine a lot of PA with Foles and Gurley. Maybe they'll finally send Tavon on a 9 on a PA.

I'm more intrigued for the trick running plays we can utilize Austin in now that we have Gurley. I mean, having Gurley and Tavon in the field as the same time could be scary. Both can leak for for a pass play or nife through a hole.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Out of curiosity... I didn't like the trade-up in 2013, and wasn't that big of an Austin fan, and it sounds like neither were many of y'all. Who did you want at the time?

FWIW, I think my mocks usually looked like
16 - Vaccaro (who went 15) or Warmack or Cooper (who went top 10)... I'd have taken Jarvis Jones or Kyle Long with the way it fell
22 - Justin Hunter or Alec Ogletree (I knew they liked 'Tree. I just really thought highly of Hunter)
46 - Kiko Alonso, Arthur Brown or Larry Warford

So... I might have done pretty well on it. I'd probably have gone Jones-Hunter-Warford. Then you'd kinda have to hope McDonald dropped those extra 10 picks in the 3rd, and you likely miss out on Bailey, since I didn't have the trade-down scenario.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
how many times should I repeat the numbers of games Tavon has played with a starting QB that can actually throw a strong pass down field. oh yea 7

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
how many times should I repeat the numbers of games Tavon has played with a starting QB that can actually throw a strong pass down field. oh yea 7
I think the question people have is will Austin be able to consistently shake his man at the LOS to get downfield and be open enough to catch a long pass. He isn't going to go up and out-muscle a defender. I think he can do it, and an emphasis on running will help, but that's a legit question.