Snead & co are crushing it

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I had posted about the Rams being in great salary cap position moving forward, and killer drafting is why.
The Rams are carrying more than 40 MILLION DOLLARS in dead money.. and still have an ass-kicking roster. Very impressive stuff.
It looks like they make solid choices on who to let walk and who to keep.. many were upset at the price they paid to keep Floyd while losing other players, but I don't think anyone is questioning that decision now. Yes, you can fairly criticize them for getting into the situation, but look around the league and see how few teams show the dexterity to deal with that kind of situation and still field a team that's this damn good.
The drafts are pretty remarkable, imo. At least 2 quality starters every year since 2017 without a first rounder in there, though they traded back one year. And an incredible number of players drafted still on NFL rosters. Guys like Clay Johnston and Dakota Allen are still contributing as backups and special team players.

2017- Gerald Everett, Cooper Kupp, John Johnson, Josh Reynolds, Samson Ebukam, Tanzel Smart, Sam Rogers, Ejuan Price
2018-
Joe Noteboom, Brian Allen, Johnathan Franklin Myers, Micah Kiser, Obo Okoronkwo, John Kelly, Jamil Demby, Sebastian Joseph, Trevon Young, Travin Howard, Justin Lawler
2019- Taylor Rapp, Darrell Henderson, David Long, Bobby Evans, Greg Gaines, David Edwards, Nick Scott, Dakota Allen
2020-Cam Akers, Van Jefferson, Terrell Lewis, Terrell Burgess, Brycen Hopkins, Jordan Fuller, Clay Johnston, Sam Sloman, Tremayne Anchrum
2021- Tutu Atwell, Ernest Jones, Bobby Brown, Robert Rochell, Jacob Harris, Earnest Brown, Jake Funk, Ben Skowronek, Chris Garrett

If the 2021 class develops as previous years.. the Rams should be able to replace Darious Williams, SJD, Austin Corbett and Kenny Young from within. Not easy, but it's the kind of thing they do. Rochell, Brown, Jones and Evans/Anchrum/Brewer/ or perhaps a draft pick will have to step up at guard. I see them keeping Allen.
On top of that, with 10 picks in the 2022 draft, we can reasonably hope for the possibility of one first-year starter from the group.

The good news? They don't have to lose all of those guys, because they're in a very flexible cap situation next year and have no dead money.

The biggest offseason question/problem will be what happens if, as expected, Whitworth retires. Do they go all in on someone like Terron Armstead? Or do they think they've developed a reasonable replacement? Or do they do they draft another tackle in the 2nd round and try to figure out a bridge until that guy is ready?

At different points.. some of these picks looked like misses.. and then turned it around. That speaks to good development and a long-term vision. It's been fun to watch and makes it easy to be excited and optimistic about the next few seasons despite the Rams "mortgaging their future" for Matt Stafford.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Looking at that list of guys who have been allowed to leave and their track record of not being burnt by them like we used to be back in the darker days, it's pretty impressive. I think it sort of demonstrates how good this staff is too. They undoubtedly squeeze the most from their rosters year to year.

It also shows that what they're good at doing is finding enough talent to put around the stars they have paid/acquired. I've been sort of on the fence with whether this approach they have taken is sustainable, but it seems like it is so long as they continue finding enough of that talent.

But also the question of whether this approach works will come down to winning Super Bowls. That's the ultimate validation of anything you do in the NFL. For me personally just being a fan of a team that has a chance to be a contender every year is amazing, but I do recognize winning it all has to happen at some point. Hopefully this year it happens. We have as good a shot as anyone.

Psycho_X

Legend
The system works because he's always drafting players that have the qualities, skills, character, and intelligence they covet but might not necessarily be game ready. Snead drafts for the future, his picks generally match up with positions they expect to have free agent departures the next offseason. It lets them draft players in later rounds they feel have the ability but not seasoning. So they get to spend a season coaching and developing players before throwing them onto the field. Sometimes a rookie just earns a starting spot and sometimes injuries force the situation but usually they'll be role players, special teams players, or riding the bench for a season.

Seems like a lot of teams draft out of desperation and to force a rookie to be a replacement for a departing vet or a blatant weak spot the year before. And while the Rams do that with a couple of picks out of necessity (Cam Akers/Tutu) it's usually not their only plan if they can help it (Henderson, Brown/Desean Jackson). It's a hard task to go to a rookie and say "our pass defense was ranked 30th last season, our corner backs were shit, it is your responsibility to change that immediately because we drafted you with a day two pick". The rams usually don't ask that from rookies. Plus, if a player doesn't work out they cut ties pretty quickly.

TLDR: They rotate talent before needed, spend the time coaching it up, and don't waste time on those who can't.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The system works because he's always drafting players that have the qualities, skills, character, and intelligence they covet but might not necessarily be game ready. Snead drafts for the future, his picks generally match up with positions they expect to have free agent departures the next offseason. It lets them draft players in later rounds they feel have the ability but not seasoning. So they get to spend a season coaching and developing players before throwing them onto the field. Sometimes a rookie just earns a starting spot and sometimes injuries force the situation but usually they'll be role players, special teams players, or riding the bench for a season.

Seems like a lot of teams draft out of desperation and to force a rookie to be a replacement for a departing vet or a blatant weak spot the year before. And while the Rams do that with a couple of picks out of necessity (Cam Akers/Tutu) it's usually not their only plan if they can help it (Henderson, Brown/Desean Jackson). It's a hard task to go to a rookie and say "our pass defense was ranked 30th last season, our corner backs were shit, it is your responsibility to change that immediately because we drafted you with a day two pick". The rams usually don't ask that from rookies. Plus, if a player doesn't work out they cut ties pretty quickly.

TLDR: They rotate talent before needed, spend the time coaching it up, and don't waste time on those who can't.
I love that last line.
I think that last line applies to Franklin-Myers, somehow. It's not like them to give up too-soon on a player and I have to think there was something about work/approach that wasn't what they wanted to see.

And.. they're not perfect!!! David Long was supposed to be the answer for Hill leaving, not Rochell. But, expecting pefect is a little much.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looking at that list of guys who have been allowed to leave and their track record of not being burnt by them like we used to be back in the darker days, it's pretty impressive. I think it sort of demonstrates how good this staff is too. They undoubtedly squeeze the most from their rosters year to year.

It also shows that what they're good at doing is finding enough talent to put around the stars they have paid/acquired. I've been sort of on the fence with whether this approach they have taken is sustainable, but it seems like it is so long as they continue finding enough of that talent.

But also the question of whether this approach works will come down to winning Super Bowls. That's the ultimate validation of anything you do in the NFL. For me personally just being a fan of a team that has a chance to be a contender every year is amazing, but I do recognize winning it all has to happen at some point. Hopefully this year it happens. We have as good a shot as anyone.
I remember when I was your favorite ~ Ghost of Merlin

SrzvcRA.gif

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I had posted about the Rams being in great salary cap position moving forward, and killer drafting is why.
The Rams are carrying more than 40 MILLION DOLLARS in dead money.. and still have an ass-kicking roster. Very impressive stuff.
It looks like they make solid choices on who to let walk and who to keep.. many were upset at the price they paid to keep Floyd while losing other players, but I don't think anyone is questioning that decision now. Yes, you can fairly criticize them for getting into the situation, but look around the league and see how few teams show the dexterity to deal with that kind of situation and still field a team that's this damn good.
The drafts are pretty remarkable, imo. At least 2 quality starters every year since 2017 without a first rounder in there, though they traded back one year. And an incredible number of players drafted still on NFL rosters. Guys like Clay Johnston and Dakota Allen are still contributing as backups and special team players.

2017- Gerald Everett, Cooper Kupp, John Johnson, Josh Reynolds, Samson Ebukam, Tanzel Smart, Sam Rogers, Ejuan Price
2018-
Joe Noteboom, Brian Allen, Johnathan Franklin Myers, Micah Kiser, Obo Okoronkwo, John Kelly, Jamil Demby, Sebastian Joseph, Trevon Young, Travin Howard, Justin Lawler
2019- Taylor Rapp, Darrell Henderson, David Long, Bobby Evans, Greg Gaines, David Edwards, Nick Scott, Dakota Allen
2020-Cam Akers, Van Jefferson, Terrell Lewis, Terrell Burgess, Brycen Hopkins, Jordan Fuller, Clay Johnston, Sam Sloman, Tremayne Anchrum
2021- Tutu Atwell, Ernest Jones, Bobby Brown, Robert Rochell, Jacob Harris, Earnest Brown, Jake Funk, Ben Skowronek, Chris Garrett

If the 2021 class develops as previous years.. the Rams should be able to replace Darious Williams, SJD, Austin Corbett and Kenny Young from within. Not easy, but it's the kind of thing they do. Rochell, Brown, Jones and Evans/Anchrum/Brewer/ or perhaps a draft pick will have to step up at guard. I see them keeping Allen.
On top of that, with 10 picks in the 2022 draft, we can reasonably hope for the possibility of one first-year starter from the group.

The good news? They don't have to lose all of those guys, because they're in a very flexible cap situation next year and have no dead money.

The biggest offseason question/problem will be what happens if, as expected, Whitworth retires. Do they go all in on someone like Terron Armstead? Or do they think they've developed a reasonable replacement? Or do they do they draft another tackle in the 2nd round and try to figure out a bridge until that guy is ready?

At different points.. some of these picks looked like misses.. and then turned it around. That speaks to good development and a long-term vision. It's been fun to watch and makes it easy to be excited and optimistic about the next few seasons despite the Rams "mortgaging their future" for Matt Stafford.

Difficult to predict this stuff, but I'm not seeing great depth behind Corbett/Edwards just yet, ... I would hope to retain both Corbs & Allen. I believe Noteboom gets his opportunity to start at LT in 2022, although I'd still like for us to draft a guy that can compete with Brewer & Alaric Jackson for that reserve back-up role, especially if A. Jack becomes our #2 reserve at RT. Draft another C/OG to battle with Coleman Shelton & Anchrum, please.
The Rams aren't only in danger of losing Darious Williams to free agency, Double D is also heading in that direction following this season, so a couple CB's may be relatively high on our DB draft list. I'm actually hoping that Snead is busy at his desk trying to trade for a quality CB prior to the 2021 deadline.
The Rams situation at RB appears rather precarious also with Sony Michel entering free agency and a hobbled Cam Akers hoping to come back from a serious injury. For that matter, even the yet untested Buddy Howell will be hitting free agency.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Difficult to predict this stuff, but I'm not seeing great depth behind Corbett/Edwards just yet, ... I would hope to retain both Corbs & Allen. I believe Noteboom gets his opportunity to start at LT in 2022, although I'd still like for us to draft a guy that can compete with Brewer & Alaric Jackson for that reserve back-up role, especially if A. Jack becomes our #2 reserve at RT. Draft another C/OG to battle with Coleman Shelton & Anchrum, please.
The Rams aren't only in danger of losing Darious Williams to free agency, Double D is also heading in that direction following this season, so a couple CB's may be relatively high on our DB draft list. I'm actually hoping that Snead is busy at his desk trying to trade for a quality CB prior to the 2021 deadline.
The Rams situation at RB appears rather precarious also with Sony Michel entering free agency and a hobbled Cam Akers hoping to come back from a serious injury. For that matter, even the yet untested Buddy Howell will be hitting free agency.
I'd like to keep Corbett and Allen as well and think they can and still add an FA LT.. again, that's if they want to use all the financial tools at their disposal.
I'm pretty sure there would be a dropoff from Corbett to any of the options, that's as much because of how kick-ass Corbett has become as anything else. I think they could have a league-average guard pretty easily and still be pretty solid if they don't have to figure out a new center as well.
I'm not as concerned about the corner situation for next year yet. A lot depends on who develops the rest of the season. If Burgess/Rapp/Scott and Fuller keep growing and turn into a flexible and strong group of safeties.. Ramsey can spend more time outside if needed. He and Rochell could be a pretty solid first two. We'll see what happens from there. They still have Long and we'll see if he, like other Rams draft picks who have been written off, turns it around.
There's always turnover, it's just a matter of how well you deal with it. The Rams have set themselves up to answer fewer questions this offseason, imo.
With those 10 picks, there are a lot of places to go. RB is a pretty easy one to add depth to and I'm not sure why you're calling next year's version of Akers "hobbled"? Marlon Mack looks fine, no? Akers won't be expected to carry the ball 20 times either. And, as we've seen, it's not extremely difficult to pick up a RB late in the game, if necessary.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I am curious how 2021 and 2022 will look in retrospect. This is an important window for us.

The 2021 draft was heavily hampered by Covid, and the eligible players was low compared to normal standards (weak draft)….

Where 2022 is projected the opposite with a larger percentage of players eligible for draft (2022 should be loaded).

Those 10 picks in 2022 look purposeful to me.

So… if we can hit in both these drafts that’s huge. These are not normal times.

Psycho_X

Legend
I am curious how 2021 and 2022 will look in retrospect. This is an important window for us.

The 2021 draft was heavily hampered by Covid, and the eligible players was low compared to normal standards (weak draft)….

Where 2022 is projected the opposite with a larger percentage of players eligible for draft (2022 should be loaded).

I'm excited about this a lot. I said before this years draft that the good front offices will be able to get some great players in later rounds because of COVID and lack of a normal college season with a lot of players not playing since 2019. Some teams were going to get outright steals in the later rounds. I trust Snead and this front office so I figured we'd come away with some gems and jury is still out but I like the prospects we got down the road. And then is 2022 is as loaded as it'll be it should be like shooting fish in a barrel for the good front offices. No reason we can't keep ahead of the curve even with departures.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Hitting on Allen would be tremendous. That's one giant hole in the middle of the line that the Rams seem to have plugged nicely. Sets them up to use future picks / trades for Whit's replacement.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

Yeah.. I really like the 2021 draft. Sure, Tutu's been invisible.. but I think they got a starting ILB for next year, a rotational DL for next year and future starter, a starting corner, and some decent depth with real potential that already contributes on special teams.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Agreed - they are doing great building this team annually. It’s a great time to be a Ram fan.

You could look at it differently/negatively though and say that there moves with the $40m dead weight in cap has prevented this team from being truly dominant and winning a SB or two (extra OL, DL, LB). I’m not saying that (well technically I just did lol), just saying the glass half empty guy could look at it that way.

Tano

Legend
Agreed - they are doing great building this team annually. It’s a great time to be a Ram fan.

You could look at it differently/negatively though and say that there moves with the $40m dead weight in cap has prevented this team from being truly dominant and winning a SB or two (extra OL, DL, LB). I’m not saying that (well technically I just did lol), just saying the glass half empty guy could look at it that way.
Pessimist (and Ha - I beat Loyal to the punch)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

That is fair critique and the Rams need to own that.

We might be doing some amazing things, but those wasted dollars have taken away from even more riches we could have. We need to stop doing that.

There is always something to improve… Even when you are the best at it, like the Rams are.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
That is fair critique and the Rams need to own that.

We might be doing some amazing things, but those wasted dollars have taken away from even more riches we could have. We need to stop doing that.

There is always something to improve… Even when you are the best at it, like the Rams are.
I commend the Rams with trying to pay those they think deserve it. I believe it is one reason players want to come here. They were wrong on Gurley, Goff and Cooks. They were right on AD, Ramsey, Woods, Kupp and Floyd. What is really great is that they admit they are wrong, cut bait and try to fix it as fast as they can. Pretty good at that. They could have just lived with it like most teams and let it hold them back from going where they want to go.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I commend the Rams with trying to pay those they think deserve it. I believe it is one reason players want to come here. They were wrong on Gurley, Goff and Cooks. They were right on AD, Ramsey, Woods, Kupp and Floyd. What is really great is that they admit they are wrong, cut bait and try to fix it as fast as they can. Pretty good at that. They could have just lived with it like most teams and let it hold them back from going where they want to go.

That is a good outcome from those investments. Players probably are attracted to the Rams for that reason, as you say. I would.

And, yeah… if they weren’t aggressive with those player deals… we wouldn’t get the aggressiveness we see in how they attack the off-season.

So… it’s part of the deal in some ways.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
That is a good outcome from those investments. Players probably are attracted to the Rams for that reason, as you say. I would.

And, yeah… if they weren’t aggressive with those player deals… we wouldn’t get the aggressiveness we see in how they attack the off-season.

So… it’s part of the deal in some ways.
I think they put a lot of thought on the Risk/Reward ratio. If all goes good what does it look like. If it goes bad how bad and can we recover. What would our path be. Can we afford it.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
On the risk reward and big splash moves. Does anybody else think the Cabo story sounds fishy. I mean, they were already dissing Goff before the end of the season and after the last game the statements made were ominous.
I can't remember the name of the guy, but I think he was our head of Scouting. He had moved on to Detroit. I think Detroit new Stafford was wanting out by then and that info was leaked to the Rams. I think McSnead already new they were going to do what ever it took to get Stafford.