Smarter Than Wade Phillips?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I'll be the 1st to say it. That guy is a DUMBASS!

Every year teams have players that have never played together, this is nothing new. I'd be willing to bet $s to donuts Wade knows more about defense than that dumbass and if Wade sees it working, I have no reason to doubt him.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
51581658-e5fd-4c29-a57b-8b8e7a2ae514_text_hi.gif

Flint

Pro Bowler
Don’t know what he meant by his read option comment, I don’t see any widespread use occurring. The read option will probably stick around as a change of pace but I think it’s been shown nfl defenses will catch up to a running qb eventually. Maybe he really meant rpo’s which you will probably see more of.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Uhh... okay, the read option has been around for awhile. Remember RGIII, Kaepernick, Vick, and Wilson??

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Ok, I'll take him seriously for a minute and address 4 of his major points because I think he makes at least one valid point to ponder.

1) He mentions Shields because the guy hasn't played in 2 yrs and now has to learn a new system surrounded by other new acquisitions in the secondary. Personally, I think that's a non-issue because I'm still not convinced he makes it out of camp to the final 53. The Rams are taking a shot.

2) He's using jax as a model? They have been stockpiling top 10 picks for a while. It was bound to pay off sooner or later. Maybe the Rams haven't fared as well in the 1rst round as the jaguars, but Brockers, Donald, Goff and Gurley aren't bad.

3) the read option? If WP hasn't seen enough of it and has an idea of how to defend it by now...
Ditto for some of our defensive acquisitions. They might even know it better than the departed Rams. Maybe that's why guys like Peters, Talib, and Suh are making pro bowls.

4) Too many wholesale changes? While I WILL AGREE that there is a tipping point (in all sports, really) when too many stars from around the league doesn't always work out, I think it really depends on the FO. Just as a roster combines several elements, so did the Rams' strategy last season when making "wholesale changes."
Woods, Whitworth, Sullivan, NRC, Barwin, and Watkins helped to finally turn this team around. So I'm gonna give our FO the benefit of the doubt this year. They've earned that much.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I liked some of the comments after the video.
I really wanted to dis you but you were at least respectful, extremely wrong but respectful. 1st the rams signed 1 free agent, Suh. The others were trades. The oldest player has worked for wade before. They only added 3 players on D. It's OK to just say you're jealous.

It's hilarious how everyone has selective memory. Plenty of teams have loaded up on FAs and gone on to win. Denver, Seattle, Patriots, Eagles (last year), 94 49ers, 1999 rams and so on.
---------------------
Last year Jacksonville added starters Calais Campbell, AJ Bouye, Barry Church, and then mid-season added Marcel Dareus. The Rams have added Suh, Talib, and Peters (Shields might not even make the team or play ahead of Robey-Coleman).

If I'm not mistaken Campell is older than Suh, and both Bouye & Church are older than Peters. And Phillips has done a great job of getting players to gell early just about everywhere he's been. Did you think this one through before you posted this video?
-------------------
It's way too early to say what the Rams are gonna do but at the least, on paper they are better going into the season than they were last year Zennie! Lol, they have 2 lock down corners now in Talib and Peters, with Coleman and Shields as well, awesome secondary with a hell of a defensive line despite trading Quin.

Donald and Suh will be a fun pair to watch in the middle and the depth is there to rest Suh and whoever honestly. They also just picked up Brandin Cooks for their offense so now they have 3 solid receivers in Cooks, Kupp and Woods. Will be a fun offense to watch. To me going into the season if they don't win at least 11 games it will be a crime
--------------------

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
1.Sam shields is the 4th cb at best , I'm sure he will figure his role out .

2.Only suh was a FA signing, others were trades.( great trades )

3.This isn't a team just buying expensive Free agents, this is a team that is saying we want to win now !

4.This team already has established leaders , and coaches great players want to play for .

5. Why did I just watch that video ?

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Bless him... He has faith behind his own comments, I just think he's totally mistaken.

1. I think all of the FA / Trade over were done for guys which fit the scheme and ethos of the 'New' Rams. They just haven't gone for big names.

2. Last year we saw the FO upgrade MANY positions on O, and you know what, it really worked.

3. I think the Rams have a good track history on getting (late round) draft guys that actually contribute (in starter roles) to the game day squad - as well as cherry picking Vets (Whitworth, Sullivan, Woods, Watkins, NRC, Barwin) who contribute.

4. I think this guy is after a job working for the Rams.

5. He may be right, I can't see Wade ever being successful in the NFL, he's just going off his dad's name... ohh wait - he's been a coach for how many years.... o_O

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
1st the rams signed 1 free agent, Suh
Um, no. They signed Ramik Wilson too.

They only added 3 players on D.
Lets see. Suh, Peters, Talib, and Ramik. No, I'm pretty sure that makes 4 players that they added on D.

Even the whiner fans that sound knowledgeable, don't bother checking to see if they have their facts right. And I should know, because I'm darn near perfect.

As always, this is my opinion only.

Last edited:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I couldn't get past that 1975 wallpaper and the florescent light fixture in the middle of that dungeon of a kitchen.

No wonder this guy is clueless and delusional. He's figured out how to sling cliches though. Wait... that's exactly what you do when you're clueless and want it to sound like you're saying something.

:poop:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Shields was a longshot, a boom/bust addition that I'm fine with. He's a very good corner just comes down to whether he's going to stay off the trainer table.

As much as I think Peters is a bit of a jack@$$, in order for him to get paid he's going to have to toe the line and overcome the perception that is definitely out there in the league about him (Rams getting him for what they did is proof of that). So they're going to get that dude playin balls out. Also I do think Talib's addition might help him settle in and mature a bit, but I still don't see him as more than a 2 year rental for us as it stands right now. Hopefully he does mature and that changes.

Overall my only concern is the addition of too many extreme personalities and I wonder whether the sum of the parts suffers due to that. If they blend well into a very good locker room and the Rams draft well at LB we will have an elite defense. But it's no given.

All that aside I do think the guy is a bit too negative in his take. It's a ploy for attention IMO.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Um, no. They signed Ramik Wilson too.

Lets see. Suh, Peters, Talib, and Ramik. No, I'm pretty sure that makes 4 players that they added on D.

Even the whiner fans that sound knowledgeable, don't bother checking to see if they have their facts right. And I should know, because I'm darn near perfect.

As always, this is my opinion only.

near perfect but a little short.

you forgot about shields.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
1. Buddy if your so smart why don't you already coach in the NFL?

2. Do you ever open your mouth when you talk or are you constantly training to be a ventriloquist