SI: Off-season Primer: NFC West

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Cutting to the Rams stuff... and no, Mr. Farrar, Bradford is not going to be released if he doesn't renegotiate his contract. That would be stupid on the Rams' part without a viable replacement.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/02/12/2015-nfl-free-agency-draft-nfc-west-offseason

St. Louis Rams

Key free agents: QB Shaun Hill, WR Kenny Britt, TE Lance Kendricks, OT Joe Barksdale, OT/OG Mike Person, OG Davin Joseph, DT Alex Carrington, LB Will Herring

Players team needs to bring back: Hill is a league-average journeyman who can and should be replaced at the top of the position group. Britt, whose best seasons have come under Jeff Fisher in Tennessee and St. Louis, has the potential to be an explosive playmaker if he keeps his head on straight -- the Rams should balance risk and reward accordingly. Kendricks is a good blocker and red-zone threat, and unless the Rams want to select two or three more receivers in the draft, they should hold on to the ones who have succeeded for them. Barksdale and Joseph are decent spot-fillers at this point (Joseph used to be a Pro Bowl-caliber player), but the team should look to do better overall on the line.

Positions in need of improvement: The Rams have about $27 million in 2015 cap space tied up in the contracts of quarterback Sam Bradford and left tackle Jake Long, and both players will be released if they don't renegotiate -- Long is probably a goner either way. Whatever the Rams do with Bradford and Hill, it's clear that they need better options at the quarterback position, because they're set up very well at so many other spots. Long's injury situation put Greg Robinson at left tackle before the team would have preferred, but he developed pretty well as the season progressed. The rest of the line could use improvement, and the receiver group is still up in the air. Overall, however, this franchise is on hold from a division success perspective until a top-tier quarterback can be acquired and developed.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When he called Joseph "decent", he lost all credibility with me.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Ah green text. Just remember that it started on 4chan. And it originally means things that aren't necessarily true.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ah green text. Just remember that it started on 4chan. And it originally means things that aren't necessarily true.
Rats. Need to find a new text color for this then. I meant it as a way to differentiate what I'm saying from what an article is saying because there's been apparent confusion a couple times about that recently.

But blue is already taken and red causes PTSD for a significant portion of the userbase.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Rats. Need to find a new text color for this then. I meant it as a way to differentiate what I'm saying from what an article is saying because there's been apparent confusion a couple times about that recently.

But blue is already taken and red causes PTSD for a significant portion of the userbase.

Lol, I remember you posting about it yesterday. I just didn't get a chance to comment on it until now.

How about pink?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Are you serious abot PTSD? I use red but will stop if this is true.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Lol, I remember you posting about it yesterday. I just didn't get a chance to comment on it until now.

How about pink?
I have considered purple.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Are you serious abot PTSD? I use red but will stop if this is true.
No. And sorry if that joke was in bad taste.

A certain poster on another board likes making his posts in all red text, and he's a little less than popular with some here. That's all.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
When he called Joseph "decent", he lost all credibility with me.
I half wondered when I read "Barksdale and Joseph are decent spot-fillers at this point (Joseph used to be a Pro Bowl-caliber player)" if he simply concluded that Joseph was a decent spot-filler because he was a former Pro Bowler and didn't actually watch the games at all.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I half wondered when I read "Barksdale and Joseph are decent spot-fillers at this point (Joseph used to be a Pro Bowl-caliber player)" if he simply concluded that Joseph was a decent spot-filler because he was a former Pro Bowler and didn't actually watch the games at all.
I took it at face value. If someone goes down and you need a guard to step in for a game or two, Joseph would do the trick. I'm hoping he didn't mean to imply that the play these days was 'decent'.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Here's the important part -

The Rams have about $27 million in 2015 cap space tied up in the contracts of quarterback Sam Bradford and left tackle Jake Long

This has to be dealt with either by renegotiation or outright release.

no, Mr. Farrar, Bradford is not going to be released if he doesn't renegotiate his contract

Do you really see Sam Bradford refusing to negotiate to help out the Rams cap space and still keeping his job?

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Do you really see Sam Bradford refusing to negotiate to help out the Rams cap space and still keeping his job?
I don't see Bradford playing that kind of hardball at all... but if he did and the Rams cut him, he'd be in a far better position than the Rams would be due to the scarcity of QB talent this year.

But, there's not a point in arguing over hypotheticals that won't happen.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Every teams goal should not only be to have good starters, but also good backups. Joseph does not fit into either category.