SI.com: From Top to Bottom, Rams Have Very Few Flaws

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/08/17/r...vay-brandin-cooks-ndamukong-suh-training-camp

From Top to Bottom, Rams Have Very Few Flaws
By ROBERT KLEMKO

WHO: Los Angeles Rams
WHERE: Irvine, Calif.
WHEN: Wednesday, Aug. 15
HOW: Drove from Chargers camp to UC Irvine (about 15 minutes in midday L.A. traffic)

After a uniquely competitive practice, let me just state the obvious: The Rams are a very, very good football team.

On Wednesday we were treated to very minimal individual drills, and lots of game scenarios and first-team offense vs. first-team defense. From watching practice and talking to people in the Rams’ circle, I get the sense that Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters are as good as advertised, and the same goes for Ndamukong Suh.

The collective presence of the newcomers seems to bring out the best in two guys on the brink of stardom: safeties John Johnson III and Lamarcus Joyner. While Todd Gurley flashed, the defense ruled the day, with several of Jared Goff's passes being intercepted or broken up.

Some of that may be attributed to the offensive playcaller: Head coach Sean McVay asked passing game coordinator Shane Waldron to call the offense Wednesday because McVay knows defensive coordinator Wade Phillips’s defense to the extent that he’d rather not call plays that exploit its few deficiencies. (Nothing against Waldron, but I think we can all agree McVay is the better-equipped playcaller.)

Suh looks like his usual dominant self, which makes the prospect of Aaron Donald joining the show all the more enticing. Whether or not the Rams get a deal done for the franchise-tagged interior lineman is anyone’s guess, but once the two get on the field together, the Rams figure to be one of the few teams—if not the only team—in the NFL to get constant interior pressure without stunts or blitzes.

One thing that stuck out after conversations with McVay and a handful of his players: This training camp has featured less position work and more one-on-one game scenarios—a shift from last year’s camp, which is by design. After Los Angeles finished 4-12 in 2016, the team spent the following training camp figuring out its identity at every position.

Now the team that went 11-5 last season is mapping a path to the Super Bowl, one practice at a time. “I think, anytime you’re going into Year 2 you’ve got more continuity,” McVay says. “You say, O.K., now that we know exactly who your players are, you try to create more competitive situations.”

“We’re not soul-searching anymore. ... We’ve got our feet in the dirt,” defensive back Nickell Robey-Coleman says. “Now we’re trying to get that good work.”

There weren’t many weak spots, but I do worry about these linebackers. Suh and Donald should take some pressure off converted safety Mark Barron and Corey Littleton, but I could see pass catching running backs and agile tight ends exploiting this defense in the short passing game. Utilizing a box safety to support Barron and Littleton should be an early-season go-to.

OH, I DIDN’T KNOW THAT: The Rams have a beer garden for fans next to their practice field. I swear I did not partake. Also: The UC Irvine mascot is the Anteaters. As the bartender at the beer garden informed me, “The football team is undefeated.” (They don’t have one)

STORYLINE TO WATCH: I’m excited to witness Goff’s third season, this time with the reliable deep threat of Brandin Cooks in the fold. Cooks slides into the No. 1 receiver spot in Los Angeles, so expect his impact to create better opportunities for short and intermediate threats like second-year tight end Tyler Higbee, and of course, Gurley, who caught a career high 64 passes last season.

McVay is expecting Goff to take that next step into becoming an extension of the coaching staff—the player who understands the intent behind every play design, and the myriad problems that can arise in with protection and coverage.

“There are so many endless things that go into being a quarterback,” McVay says. “There has to be a constant evolution, and we all have to be on the same page. I need him to feel comfortable communicating things he likes and doesn’t like.”

TOP POSITION BATTLE: The Rams know who they are, but there’s an outside linebacker spot seemingly up for grabs. The top contender, Matt Longacre, has missed time with a biceps injury.

OFFBEAT OBSERVATION: The Rams are the first team I’ve ever seen take a halftime break during a training camp practice. In the middle of an 11-on-11 session the team abruptly broke and headed for the UC Irvine locker rooms, where McVay said they sat and rested for 10 or 15 minutes and talked amongst themselves before returning to the field. The rationale: Starters on both sides of the ball needed to get their bodies accustomed to the halftime cooldown and subsequent warmup they’ll experience in game.

“The biggest thing is, regardless of how we approach the last three games in the preseason, we know we’re not going to be in a situation where we play our starters before and after halftime,” McVay said. “We know we’re gonna have to do that Sept. 10 against the Raiders so we wanted to have them get a bunch of work in, simulate halftime, then you have to get back out there, get yourself loose and get rolling again.”

PARTING THOUGHTS: These guys are scary. The talent Les Snead has accumulated on defense while sacrificing draft capital could shift the thinking of contending NFL teams for years to come if it works.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I wonder if there’s something about the game McVay DOESN’T think about.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I was trying to think of something as who cuts the grass, but I bet you he even knows who does that, and probably discussed with them the best way to do it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I was trying to think of something as who cuts the grass, but I bet you he even knows who does that, and probably discussed with them the best way to do it.
I’m sure he has specified the height and type. That actually goes back a long way. Long grass for finess teams, short or wet grass for 3yard and a cloud of dust teams.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
NOW, THAT WAS A GREAT write up! It is time for Peter King has to move on and pasturize :)
Thanks for posting.

It has been years since I have read something unbiased, and good observationally while also being professionally well written.

Good teams have been making trades and acquiring "older" talent for years to 'get over' the top. The rest of the roster has to come through. I do think Suh takes away the HUGE need of an pass rushing stud---for this year. A "b-" effort by the ROLB may be good enough for 10-12 sacks for if AD signs. Eukam should have7-10 sacks, too...at least!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Eukam should have7-10 sacks, too...at least!

I feel a lot better about Ebukam after watching that first preseason game. His motor was relentless, and while he still needs refinement in his game if he plays the way he did over 16 games he's going to do ok for us. I think that sack range you alluded to is doable for him.

The big improvement will be the contain, compared to last year. But I still do have concern over LOLB and want to see who settles in there, hopefully that will come clear as preseason wraps.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
perhaps when he can sneak away to motor boat his girlfriend.. Ya know get his head right

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
What a great article. McVay looks like the real deal. I know it's only his second season but he's a true perfectionist, and if you read anything about great coaches that's what they are. They put everything on the line and he plays to win, and doesn't play not to lose. Love this hire.

If we make a deep playoff run this year I think we'll be set up for a long time with this staff. I just hope Wade has another 4 or 5 years left in him.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What a great article. McVay looks like the real deal. I know it's only his second season but he's a true perfectionist, and if you read anything about great coaches that's what they are. They put everything on the line and he plays to win, and doesn't play not to lose. Love this hire.

If we make a deep playoff run this year I think we'll be set up for a long time with this staff. I just hope Wade has another 4 or 5 years left in him.
I hope Wade is cross training McVay and a bright defensive coach about everything he knows!. We know McVay will remember! :sneaky:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I made a post couple weeks ago about how McVay has envisioned plays no OC has ever contemplated and he can't wait to implement them once he gets the players he needs to execute them. McVay understands the rest of the NFL has tape of last year and he has to come up with plays no one has ever seen before.
I'm prepared to see a "Mike Martz" type season from Rams offense, new and innovative.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I made a post couple weeks ago about how McVay has envisioned plays no OC has ever contemplated and he can't wait to implement them once he gets the players he needs to execute them. McVay understands the rest of the NFL has tape of last year and he has to come up with plays no one has ever seen before.
I'm prepared to see a "Mike Martz" type season from Rams offense, new and innovative.

Yup. The QB was hitting on all cylinders the end of the season and looks to have learned the system even better in the offseason. The talented receiver who never could actually learn the system is replaced by a faster receiver who is on the same page as Goff. Everybody knows the system better. TEs should be improved, though not as much as I would have liked. Backup RBs are likely improved. Rather than needing to spend his time implementing the basics of his system, McVay can focus on putting in creative changes.

To paraphrase General Patton "I actually pity those poor bastards who have to play the Rams this season."

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy

That's the thing about a guy that is going to consistently look at himself critically and find ways to improve. So the truth of the matter is yes there are things he hasn't thought about yet but when that time comes he'll examine it critically and move forward.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I hope Wade is cross training McVay and a bright defensive coach about everything he knows!. We know McVay will remember! :sneaky:

That would be Aubrey Pleasant but I don't think he'll last long as a Defensive Coordinator.