‘Shutdown Corner’ offseason TPS report: St. Louis Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
By Brian McIntyre | Shutdown Corner
<a class="postlink" href="http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/shutdown-corner-offseason-tps-report-st-louis-rams-162326805--nfl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html</a>

yahoo_chrislongtps.jpg

After taking a few days to focus on the 2013 NFL scouting combine, "Shutdown Corner" resumes our TPS reports (Office Space), where we take a look back at each team's 2012 season and a look at what lies ahead for the 2013 offseason. We continue in the NFC West with the St. Louis Rams.

2012 record: 7-8-1

What went wrong: When the Rams beat the Cardinals 17-3 to improve to 3-2 on Oct. 4, it marked the first time the club was over .500 since 2006. Unfortunately, the Rams would not win another game until their rematch with the Cardinals on Nov. 25, a stretch of four losses and a tie.

The Rams improved on both sides of the ball in 2012, but one area that needs to be addressed this offseason is their return game. Rams kick returners averaged 21 yards per return, which was tied for 26th in the NFL. On punt returns, the Rams averaged 6.6 yards per return, which ranked 31st in the league.

What went right: For a sub .500 team, quite a lot went right for the Rams in the first season of the Les Snead/Jeff Fisher era.

The Rams' defense ranked 14th in total yards allowed per game and were tied for 14th in points allowed per game. According to Football Outsiders' opponent-adjusted metrics, the Rams were seventh in defensive DVOA, finishing in the Top 10 against the run and pass last season. Though no Rams players would appear in the 2013 Pro Bowl, the defense received solid seasons from defensive ends Chris Long and Robert Quinn, who combined for 22 of the Rams' league-leading 52 sacks in 2012. Middle linebacker James Laurinaitis led the Rams with 142 tackles, adding two interceptions, while second-round cornerback Janoris Jenkins led the Rams with four interceptions. Another key contributor on defense was outside linebacker Jo-Lonn Dunbar, who had 113 tackles, 4.5 sacks and led the squad with 16 tackles for a loss.

With a third coordinator (Brian Schottenheimer) in as many seasons, the offense remains a work in progress, improving from 32nd in FO's offensive DVOA in 2011 to 21st in 2012, but still finishing towards the bottom of the league (25th) in points scored.

The Rams also struck gold with sixth-round kicker Greg "The Leg" (or Legatron, depending on your inclination towards sci-fi cartoons) Zuerlein, who was 23-of-31 on field goal attempts on the season with six of his eight misses coming from beyond 50 yards. Zuerlein nailed a 60-yard field goal in a Week 4 win over the Seattle Seahawks and became the first kicker in NFL history to hit a 60-yard field goal and a 50-yard field goal in the same game. Rookie punter Johnny Hekker also had a solid season, finishing with a net average of 39.9 yards and completing all three of his passing attempts on fakes for 42 yards and a two-yard touchdown in the Week 4 win over Seattle.

Coaching/front office changes: The Rams went without a defensive coordinator after Gregg Williams was suspended indefinitely over his role in the New Orleans Saints' bounty program. Fisher says he made the decision late in the season to move on from Williams, but took his time this offseason before naming a full-time replacement. The Rams named Detroit Lions secondary coach Tim Walton their defensive coordinator in mid-February.

Estimated 2013 cap space: $750,000 over their estimated 2013 adjusted cap number.

yahoo_jameslaurinaitistps.jpg

Possible cap casualties: The Rams will gain $7 million in cash and cap space when Steven Jackson officially voids his contract and becomes a free agent. The Rams could clear an additional $3 million in cap space, and more importantly save $6 million in cash, by releasing safety Quintin Mikell, who turns 33 in September and is a player the current regime inherited from the Billy Devaney/Steve Spagnuolo era. Another inherited player who could be released is right guard Harvey Dahl, an over-30 veteran who is coming off a biceps injury and has a $4 million salary and cap number in 2013. If the Rams have faith in young tackles Joe Barksdale and Ty Nsekhe and/or use a draft pick on an offensive tackle, they could part ways with, or seek to reduce, Wayne Hunter's $4 million in cash compensation ($3.95 million base salary, $50,000 workout bonus) and cap number this offseason.

In terms of restructures, the lucrative, long-term extension signed Laurinaitis before the start of the regular season was structured in such a way that a slight tweak would create a lot of cap space in 2013. Laurinaitis is scheduled to receive a fully guaranteed $11 million roster bonus on March 16, which could be converted to a signing bonus and prorated through the end of the current deal (2017). The move would lower his 2013 cap number to $3.2 million, a cap savings of $9.4 million this season, while adding very little prorated amounts to future seasons.

Cortland Finnegan ($14 million cash, $15 million cap number) and Chris Long ($13.25 million cash and cap number) also have contracts with large sums of guaranteed money that could be converted to a signing bonus and prorated over the next four seasons (five, if a season is tacked on to maximize proration), but the Rams may opt to not leverage the health of future caps for short-term relief. Between Jackson, Mikell, Dahl, Hunter and a Laurinaitis restructure, the Rams would have well over $20 million in cap space by 4:01 p.m. ET on March 12, which should be plenty for a team that showed in 2012 that they're fully capable of playing with division powers San Francisco and Seattle.

Unrestricted free agents

Danny Amendola, WR
Kellen Clemens, QB
Craig Dahl, S
Bradley Fletcher, CB
Brandon Gibson, WR
Mario Haggan, LB
William Hayes, DE
Trevor Laws, DT
Rocky McIntosh, LB
Brit Miller, FB
Barry Richardson, OT
Steve Smith, WR
Robert Turner, C/G
Chris Williams, G
Restricted free agents
Justin Cole, LB
Jermelle Cudjo, DT
Darian Stewart, S

RFA tender amounts in 2013 are:

• $1.323 million for right of first refusal and/or original draft round compensation
• $2.023 for right of first refusal and second round draft selection
• $2.879 for right of first refusal and first round draft selection

Franchise Tag candidates: Rams GM Les Snead told NFL.com's Gregg Rosenthal that the Rams will not use the franchise tag on Danny Amendola or anyone else on their list of free agents this offseason. That approach makes sense because no matter how valuable Amendola has been to the Rams offense, it's hard to guarantee that much money - around $10.4 million, depending on the official league-wide cap number - for one season to a player who has appeared in just 12 games over the last two seasons.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
KD is smart enough to avoid that whole Pittsburgh debacle where they just perpetually shoot themselves in the foot by adjusting numbers every off season. Thank god for that.

I think this FA period came at a great time where there really isn't a player worth spending big money on, so the team can operate on a tight budget throughout the season and hope for a slightly higher cap next year with a bit more breathing room.

nighttrain

Legend
nice that without hurting ourselves, we can have cap space of 20 mil..A lot more than i've heard mentioned up til now
train

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That's the first I've heard about the tweak-option to Laurinaitis deal.

Hmm? Maybe we have more room to wiggle than we thought if the right situation comes along?

PhxRam

CGI_Ram said:

Hmm? Maybe we have more room to wiggle than we thought if the right situation comes along?

I dont know how willing I would be to restructure my contract that I just signed.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
PhxRam said:
CGI_Ram said:

I dont know how willing I would be to restructure my contract that I just signed.

If I read that correctly, however, it would be converting a roster bonus to signing bonus... and pro rating the cap hit across the deal instead of at once.

So, unless they plan on cutting him (which they're not) he's getting that money either way. It's guaranteed money.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
PhxRam said:
CGI_Ram said:

It's not really "restructuring." More like reclassifying his upcoming roster bonus as a prorated signing bonus.

Not sure Demoff wants to do that, as it impacts later salary caps, and yet, it would only be 2+ mill per year spread over the length of the contract. Doing it to just one wouldn't be that much of a problem, could it?

fearsomefour

Legend
Great information.
"Reclassifying" is the correct way to describe it. For an NFL player the only thing that should matter in his deal in terms of pay is what is guarenteed....everything else is just talk. That is a win-win for the team and JL. $20 M is a heck of a lot better than $1M, but, with the money needed for our draft with 2 first rounders and trying to resign Amendola, Hayes and maybe Jackson and Mikkel it isent that much to try and upgrade. I say make the adjustment resign Amendola (as long as someone doesnt way over pay for him) and keep Mikkel and Dahl in the fold. Saving $7 but needing to replace two solid guys at RG and S?? I dont know about that.

jap

Legend
fearsomefour said:
Great information.
"Reclassifying" is the correct way to describe it. For an NFL player the only thing that should matter in his deal in terms of pay is what is guarenteed....everything else is just talk. That is a win-win for the team and JL. $20 M is a heck of a lot better than $1M, but, with the money needed for our draft with 2 first rounders and trying to resign Amendola, Hayes and maybe Jackson and Mikkel it isent that much to try and upgrade. I say make the adjustment resign Amendola (as long as someone doesnt way over pay for him) and keep Mikkel and Dahl in the fold. Saving $7 but needing to replace two solid guys at RG and S?? I dont know about that.

Senor Dahl needs to taste freedom outside Rams Park. :ww:

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I love the way KD structured those Ks

We are in a situation where we can create cap space if we need to or the right deal comes along. If we dont need the space, we can go ahead and the the big cap hit out of the way giving us more cap room in the out years.

Props to KD

fearsomefour

Legend
"Senor Dahl needs to taste freedom outside Rams Park."

I was speaking of Harvey Dahl. As for Craig, I agree.
The biggest reason to keep Harvey is, while he has not been dominant, it would creat yet another hole on a thin line to let him walk for $4M in savings.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
fearsomefour said:
"Senor Dahl needs to taste freedom outside Rams Park."

I was speaking of Harvey Dahl. As for Craig, I agree.
The biggest reason to keep Harvey is, while he has not been dominant, it would creat yet another hole on a thin line to let him walk for $4M in savings.

Yes. While it might save $4M, how much to pay his replacement? Wait another year to create the hole?

I think Harvey Dahl is safe.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Wonder if it would be wise to redo H Dahl-Sam Bradford deal to sign a RT middle level talent to allow us some more flexibility on draft day?

Thoughts on redoing some deals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk