Should we splurge for Carl Nicks?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
He's stated to leave NO and he's the best OG in the NFL. Young talent. He plays LG, so he'd replace Bell.

Nicks + Dahl = SJack runnin wild.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Its gotta depend on price. We's have to dump Jason Smith as well obviously. I dunno, I love to have him, but I think he'll be a little too rich. Worth checking into for sure though.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Angry Ram said:
He's stated to leave NO and he's the best OG in the NFL. Young talent. He plays LG, so he'd replace Bell.

I dont think so.

He is a stud, no doubt, but at some point we have to stop throwing money at the offensive line. We already have to much tied up in the line.

I may change my mind if we release guys like Smith or Brown and save some cap space.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
libertadrocks said:
Angry Ram said:

I dont think so.

He is a stud, no doubt, but at some point we have to stop throwing money at the offensive line. We already have to much tied up in the line.

I may change my mind if we release guys like Smith or Brown and save some cap space.

I agree about releasing Smith and Brown. Unfortunately, we will need to spend some money to build an offensive line. IMO, we have been snake bit over the last 5 years with injuries and guys under-performing. I have never been a fan of either Brown or Bell. Also, no one could have foreseen Smith's problems with concussions. RT has been a nightmare over the past 2 plus years. Saffold would be a better RT than LT. So, pick up a good free agent LG and Center and draft a LT. Its better to have guys with chemistry as a group rather than highly paid egos. The O-Lineman we had from '99 to '03 had great chemistry.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
MontanaRamFan said:
libertadrocks said:
Angry Ram said:

I dont think so.

I agree about releasing Smith and Brown. Unfortunately, we will need to spend some money to build an offensive line. IMO, we have been snake bit over the last 5 years with injuries and guys under-performing. I have never been a fan of either Brown or Bell. Also, no one could have foreseen Smith's problems with concussions. RT has been a nightmare over the past 2 plus years. Saffold would be a better RT than LT. So, pick up a good free agent LG and Center and draft a LT. Its better to have guys with chemistry as a group rather than highly paid egos. The O-Lineman we had from '99 to '03 had great chemistry.

While I agree we need a rebuilt line, I disagree with your premise that we will "need to spend some money to build an offensive line".

IMO the best way to build a line is through fit. A line that plays as one unit will outperform one composed of gifted athletes playing as individuals. I would point to the Texans Oline compared to ours. They have 4 guys that were no names before arriving in Houston and a high draft pick. We have 3 high profile FA signings and 2 high draft picks.

BTW your GIF is extremely distracting. lol. It took me about 5 min to read your response. :boing:

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
"We had Nicks". I'm a draft nerd I watch every round. I stated it on another topic I think 2012 FA. I saw him going 3rd round at the latest back then. However he dropped to the 5th round and we passed on him. Don't remember if this was pre-Devaney or during thinking 'pre'. This is why I feel whomever Kroenke, Demoff and Fisher collectively decide on the GM we will either sign Nicks or take an immediate stud left guard and this group will find him after round 3 or during. I have a strange brew feeling this upcoming draft will be something epic. There I said it.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
libertadrocks said:
MontanaRamFan said:
libertadrocks said:
Angry Ram said:

I dont think so.

While I agree we need a rebuilt line, I disagree with your premise that we will "need to spend some money to build an offensive line".

IMO the best way to build a line is through fit. A line that plays as one unit will outperform one composed of gifted athletes playing as individuals. I would point to the Texans Oline compared to ours. They have 4 guys that were no names before arriving in Houston and a high draft pick. We have 3 high profile FA signings and 2 high draft picks.

BTW your GIF is extremely distracting. lol. It took me about 5 min to read your response. :boing:

I guess I did not state my case clearly. I agree, I don't think you need a bunch of high profile, highly paid lineman to have a great line. Most of the better teams have maybe one or two big-name lineman and the rest are "unknowns." I don't think, however, you can have five "unknowns" and be successful either. Continuity and chemistry are huge for a great o-line. When you have a revolving door situation with your o-line, because of injury, poor play, etc. its a recipe for disaster, as the Rams have dealt with over these past couple of years. You are right, we have too many high-profile and high draft picks while not seeing many positive results.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
libertadrocks said:
Angry Ram said:

I dont think so.

I tend to agree, but if we can sign Nicks, that could really beef up the middle of our line. We definitely need to spend money on the offense, and with the new CBA we have to spend up to the cap, so we're going to spend the money anyway, it might as well be for a position of need and on a stud player.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Saffold, Nicks, Brown, Dahl, ____

It's possible that Dahl could just play RT and find a RG, which is easier to fill. It's a thought.

We're gonna spend money, might as well try and go all in.