Should Rams draft a long snapper to replace Jake McQuaide?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Rams have had 2 long snapper’s since 2002. Kind of hard to believe, but we have been automatic at long snaps for a very long time:
  • Chris Massey 2002-2010 (702 of 703 clean snaps)
  • Jake McQuaide 2011-2020
I searched like hell to find stats on McQuaide... couldn’t find any, but he’s been damn good as we know.

Right now we have a competition between Steve Wirtel and Colin Holba.

What do we know about these guys? Sort of a subtle part of the game we haven’t had to put effort toward in a while.

———

Why Iowa State's long snapper could be the only Cyclones player drafted this spring

Steve Wirtel hasn’t needed a football field to get ready for the NFL Draft. Which is good, because Iowa State's facilities are shut down during the coronavirus pandemic.

All the former Iowa State long snapper has needed is 15 yards of grass. So, most days, that's meant going out to a random spot about 20 yards away from a row of corn in an area across the street from Jack Trice Stadium with current Cyclones long snapper Connor Guess.

“For me to complain that I don’t have any space would be totally wrong and really dumb for me, because I can go snap on the concrete if I want to outside,” Wirtel said. “I just love any way to get better and really just kind of going out there and doing my thing.”

Nobody in college may be better at long snapping than Wirtel. He has such a strong and widely respected skillset that he could be one of the only long snappers to be selected during this week's NFL Draft, which takes place Thursday through Saturday.

“He’s my No. 1 (long snapper) guy,” said ESPN NFL Draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr.

Wirtel has been an Iowa State mainstay the past four seasons, appearing in all 51 games. He handled all deep snaps, including punts, field goals and extra points. And he did it better than anyone else, earning first-team All-Big 12 Conference honors from Phil Steele in 2018 and 2019.

Wirtel was also named a finalist for the Mannelly Award, given to the nation’s top long snapper, last season. Iowa State coach Matt Campbell said NFL teams were showing interest in him two years ago.

“Obviously his athleticism and his ability to make some tackles on punts really showed up early," Campbell said.

Wirtel's athleticism showed up again at the most recent Senior Bowl and especially at the NFL Scouting Combine where he put up impressive numbers. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.76 seconds, setting an event record for a long snapper. Wirtel also bench-pressed 225 pounds 19 times, the fifth-best mark by a long-snapper since 2000.

NFL.com senior analyst and Pro Football Hall of Famer Gil Brandt said its those type of numbers and that type of athleticism that make Wirtel stand out at such a unique position.

"The long snapper is two things," Brandt said. "Not only is he getting the ball back correctly to the punter and to the placekicker, but he also has to be a coverage guy, and that's why I say this guy is an athlete. A lot of teams, we've got guys are self-made, deep snappers. This guy is an athlete and a true football player. And he gets the ball back real quick."

Kiper said he has Wirtel as the top long snapper available in the draft, followed closely behind by LSU's Drew Ferguson. That small gap could be the difference in getting drafted. One long snapper has been selected in the draft in each of the past five years.

If the streak continues with Wirtel, it marks an achievement for a player who first started thinking about a career as a long snapper midway through high school.

Wirtel, who honed his skills in the basement of his parents' house back in Illinois, was so good in high school that he got a scholarship to Iowa State. He took advantage of the opportunity, becoming a special teams starter for the Cyclones. Wirtel said he's heard from all 32 NFL teams and has been told he could go as early as the fifth round.

While he's waited for the draft to arrive, Wirtel has been lifting with former Iowa State teammates Bryce Meeker, Julian Good-Jones and Matt Leo at a makeshift gym about 40 minute from Ames. Wirtel has stayed sharp with his long snapping skills by working out with Guess. Wirtel told Campbell he'd prepare Guess to be his replacement.

"Kind of fulfill his dreams as well," Wirtel said.

Wirtel's dream of playing in the NFL is close. Even if he doesn't get drafted, Brandt said he expects Wirtel to become a mainstay.

"Eight or nine years from now, he'll still be in this league," Brandt said.

———

Steelers GM explains drafting long snapper Colin Holba

PITTSBURGH -- The "S" on the screen was not a "B." The Pittsburgh Steelers' sixth-round pick was not providing inside linebacker depth or adding edge-rushing ability.

But he had the same physical dimensions of a player who would, so Louisville long snapper Colin Holba becomes a Pittsburgh Steeler and the only long snapper selected in the 2017 NFL draft.

"Again, not many come along that are that size who are competent snappers," general manager Kevin Colbert said. "It's really a supply-and-demand issue."

Here's how else Colbert explained the most puzzling decision of the team's draft days and how that logic stacks up with reality.

The size issue

"In college football, most long snappers are walk-ons. And because of their rules – there are different rules as to how you can defend them or block them after the snap – they have a lot more liberties than we do in the NFL," Colbert said. "So a lot of the college snappers are these 6-1, 215-220-pound guys, which really would have a hard time snapping and blocking in our league."

Holba is 6-4 and weighs 248 pounds. He is the biggest and tallest of the top long snappers in this year's class. All six of the others in the top 7 in CBS Sports' draft prospect ranking are at least 6-1 and weigh no less than 230 pounds.

Wanting depth, competition

This was a theme that Colbert, Mike Tomlin and the other Steelers coaches touched on in explaining most of their selections. Holba was no exception as Colbert said he would compete with 12-year veteran Greg Warren.

"It's no secret, Greg is moving into what I believe will be Year 13," Colbert said. "You have to be able to back that up."

Warren did re-sign on another one-year contract this offseason. Colbert, when asked, said that Warren is healthy and reiterated that Holba is competition for him.

The general manager also noted that plenty of sixth- and seventh-round players don't make the final 53-man roster and in some cases get added to the practice squad. He said he didn't know if the Steelers would keep a long snapper on the practice squad, but that the same logic in getting a late-round pick who might not make the team applies.

Also, there's precedent for this working

For the Patriots, no less.

"Not many long snappers come along that we believe are draftable," Colbert said. "New England took a kid a few years back who is their starting long snapper. And when we see one, we want to add him in the mix, just like we would any other position."

It's true. The Patriots picked Navy long snapper Joe Cardona in the fifth round of the 2015 draft, 166th overall. Like Holba, he was the only long snapper selected that year. Holba was the 213th pick in this year's draft.

———

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Rams have had 2 long snapper’s since 2002. Kind of hard to believe, but we have been automatic at long snaps for a very long time:
  • Chris Massey 2002-2010 (702 of 703 clean snaps)
  • Jake McQuaide 2011-2020
I searched like hell to find stats on McQuaide... couldn’t find any, but he’s been damn good as we know.

Right now we have a competition between Steve Wirtel and Colin Holba.

What do we know about these guys? Sort of a subtle part of the game we haven’t had to put effort toward in a while.

———

Why Iowa State's long snapper could be the only Cyclones player drafted this spring

Steve Wirtel hasn’t needed a football field to get ready for the NFL Draft. Which is good, because Iowa State's facilities are shut down during the coronavirus pandemic.

All the former Iowa State long snapper has needed is 15 yards of grass. So, most days, that's meant going out to a random spot about 20 yards away from a row of corn in an area across the street from Jack Trice Stadium with current Cyclones long snapper Connor Guess.

“For me to complain that I don’t have any space would be totally wrong and really dumb for me, because I can go snap on the concrete if I want to outside,” Wirtel said. “I just love any way to get better and really just kind of going out there and doing my thing.”

Nobody in college may be better at long snapping than Wirtel. He has such a strong and widely respected skillset that he could be one of the only long snappers to be selected during this week's NFL Draft, which takes place Thursday through Saturday.

“He’s my No. 1 (long snapper) guy,” said ESPN NFL Draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr.

Wirtel has been an Iowa State mainstay the past four seasons, appearing in all 51 games. He handled all deep snaps, including punts, field goals and extra points. And he did it better than anyone else, earning first-team All-Big 12 Conference honors from Phil Steele in 2018 and 2019.

Wirtel was also named a finalist for the Mannelly Award, given to the nation’s top long snapper, last season. Iowa State coach Matt Campbell said NFL teams were showing interest in him two years ago.

“Obviously his athleticism and his ability to make some tackles on punts really showed up early," Campbell said.

Wirtel's athleticism showed up again at the most recent Senior Bowl and especially at the NFL Scouting Combine where he put up impressive numbers. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.76 seconds, setting an event record for a long snapper. Wirtel also bench-pressed 225 pounds 19 times, the fifth-best mark by a long-snapper since 2000.

NFL.com senior analyst and Pro Football Hall of Famer Gil Brandt said its those type of numbers and that type of athleticism that make Wirtel stand out at such a unique position.

"The long snapper is two things," Brandt said. "Not only is he getting the ball back correctly to the punter and to the placekicker, but he also has to be a coverage guy, and that's why I say this guy is an athlete. A lot of teams, we've got guys are self-made, deep snappers. This guy is an athlete and a true football player. And he gets the ball back real quick."

Kiper said he has Wirtel as the top long snapper available in the draft, followed closely behind by LSU's Drew Ferguson. That small gap could be the difference in getting drafted. One long snapper has been selected in the draft in each of the past five years.

If the streak continues with Wirtel, it marks an achievement for a player who first started thinking about a career as a long snapper midway through high school.

Wirtel, who honed his skills in the basement of his parents' house back in Illinois, was so good in high school that he got a scholarship to Iowa State. He took advantage of the opportunity, becoming a special teams starter for the Cyclones. Wirtel said he's heard from all 32 NFL teams and has been told he could go as early as the fifth round.

While he's waited for the draft to arrive, Wirtel has been lifting with former Iowa State teammates Bryce Meeker, Julian Good-Jones and Matt Leo at a makeshift gym about 40 minute from Ames. Wirtel has stayed sharp with his long snapping skills by working out with Guess. Wirtel told Campbell he'd prepare Guess to be his replacement.

"Kind of fulfill his dreams as well," Wirtel said.

Wirtel's dream of playing in the NFL is close. Even if he doesn't get drafted, Brandt said he expects Wirtel to become a mainstay.

"Eight or nine years from now, he'll still be in this league," Brandt said.

———

Steelers GM explains drafting long snapper Colin Holba

PITTSBURGH -- The "S" on the screen was not a "B." The Pittsburgh Steelers' sixth-round pick was not providing inside linebacker depth or adding edge-rushing ability.

But he had the same physical dimensions of a player who would, so Louisville long snapper Colin Holba becomes a Pittsburgh Steeler and the only long snapper selected in the 2017 NFL draft.

"Again, not many come along that are that size who are competent snappers," general manager Kevin Colbert said. "It's really a supply-and-demand issue."

Here's how else Colbert explained the most puzzling decision of the team's draft days and how that logic stacks up with reality.

The size issue

"In college football, most long snappers are walk-ons. And because of their rules – there are different rules as to how you can defend them or block them after the snap – they have a lot more liberties than we do in the NFL," Colbert said. "So a lot of the college snappers are these 6-1, 215-220-pound guys, which really would have a hard time snapping and blocking in our league."

Holba is 6-4 and weighs 248 pounds. He is the biggest and tallest of the top long snappers in this year's class. All six of the others in the top 7 in CBS Sports' draft prospect ranking are at least 6-1 and weigh no less than 230 pounds.

Wanting depth, competition

This was a theme that Colbert, Mike Tomlin and the other Steelers coaches touched on in explaining most of their selections. Holba was no exception as Colbert said he would compete with 12-year veteran Greg Warren.

"It's no secret, Greg is moving into what I believe will be Year 13," Colbert said. "You have to be able to back that up."

Warren did re-sign on another one-year contract this offseason. Colbert, when asked, said that Warren is healthy and reiterated that Holba is competition for him.

The general manager also noted that plenty of sixth- and seventh-round players don't make the final 53-man roster and in some cases get added to the practice squad. He said he didn't know if the Steelers would keep a long snapper on the practice squad, but that the same logic in getting a late-round pick who might not make the team applies.

Also, there's precedent for this working

For the Patriots, no less.

"Not many long snappers come along that we believe are draftable," Colbert said. "New England took a kid a few years back who is their starting long snapper. And when we see one, we want to add him in the mix, just like we would any other position."

It's true. The Patriots picked Navy long snapper Joe Cardona in the fifth round of the 2015 draft, 166th overall. Like Holba, he was the only long snapper selected that year. Holba was the 213th pick in this year's draft.

———

good stuff . Les Snead got to The Rams the season before Jake.

Jake was the Long snapper for Donnie Jones & —- Brown. Both were All Pro types with Large contracts.

Les Snead came in and drafted Greg the Leg & signed UDRFA Johnny.

The thing about Jake is he was always a big part of the LBer group as well as just a Long Snapper in drills.

Les Snead knew Jake’s Ram career was coming to an end.The timing was perfect,but yes having a New LS is a
position that has been TOPS in the NFL.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’d like to hear the Rams only had 3 Long Snappers over 3 Decades

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Should Rams draft a long snapper to replace Jake McQuaide?

1617547641109.png

They say “age before beauty” and that could be the motto of the NFL longsnapper too. Looking around the league’s current crop of specialty centers, most are over 30 or close to it. Detroit’s Don Muhlbach is almost as old as his name sounds, as he will turn 40 in August. Muhlbach went undrafted out of Texas A&M in 2004 and signed with a Lions team that was coached by Steve Mariucci, quarterbacked by Joey Harrington, and he was snapping to the legendary kicker Jason Hanson.

Now Muhlbach works with Dan Campbell, Jared Goff, and 24-year-old rookie Pro Bowl punter Jack Fox.

The Rams are now on a mission to find their own Don Muhlbach, as longtime longsnapper Jake McQuaide left in free agency to join the Dallas Cowboys. LA has Colin Holba and Steve Wirtel under contract and it’s possible that either could step into the job next season.

Holba was a sixth round pick of the Steelers in 2017, but he lost the competition to Kameron Canaday, now one of the top-paid players at his position at $1.2 million per season. After two stints with the 49ers, one with the Jags, one with the Giants, and one brief moment with the Rams back in 2020, Holba returned to LA in January on a futures deal.

Wirtel went undrafted out of Iowa State last year and he signed with Detroit as insurance for Muhlbach. He set the combine record 40-yard time for longsnappers (4.76) and ESPN’s Mel Kiper called him a “draftable” player, but he’s finding out the difficulty of landing a job as one of the NFL’s 32 longsnappers right now.

The Rams could enter training camp with Holba and Wirtel battling it out, but could Les Snead actually use one of his draft picks — or make a hard undrafted free agent push — to replace McQuaide with one of the top longsnappers in the 2021 NFL Draft?

Good luck finding a picture of Cameron Cheeseman at USA Today or Getty (I settled on a picture of Florida longsnapper Ryan Farr because that was available), but the Michigan longsnapper has been called the top prospect at his position even though he “accidentally” sat out all of 2020. I say it is an “accident” but the more accurate version is that Cheeseman did not expect there to be a college season (for good reason) and then when the Big 10 opted to play, he had already begun work on the NFL draft.

In an interview with NFL Draft Diamonds, Cheeseman made his pitch to get drafted:

There isn’t anywhere else I would rather be, and I can promise to whoever wants me to play for them that I will do whatever it takes to be the best teammate, friend, and son I can be in order for us to win Super Bowls.
If you could compare your play to one player in the NFL who would it be?
Morgan Cox, we have a similar frame, and I watched his film all through my college career. Our punt scheme at Michigan was similar to his punt scheme ran at Baltimore.
Cox has been a four-time Pro Bowl, one-time all-pro for the Ravens, but he signed a one-year deal with the Titans this year.

This may be of little interest as compared to the other 52 roster spots, but it’s also not a position that can ever be forgotten. Every team needs to have a longsnapper, but every team will only have one longsnapper. Who will be the Rams’ longsnapper in 2021?

A job that can last for decades.

FWIW I found a picture of Cheeseman

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO, I don't think the Rams with limited picks draft a Long Snapper, however, if they acquire some picks in the 7th round like last year, they could. IMO, I believe in Steven Wirtel really good athlete, that did well with his long snaps and I also believe in our new special teams coach Joe DeCamillis to get it right as I continue baffle @Elmgrovegnome with the Long Snapper debate.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
IMO, I don't think the Rams with limited picks draft a Long Snapper, however, if they acquire some picks in the 7th round like last year, they could. IMO, I believe in Steven Wirtel really good athlete, that did well with his long snaps and I also believe in our new special teams coach Joe DeCamillis to get it right as I continue baffle @Elmgrovegnome with the Long Snapper debate.

well let’s hope it doesn’t end up like last season & the kickers.

so you don’t like the 2 LS on The Rams roster ?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

The more I read on Wirtel... he feels like “the guy”;

Chose Iowa State over Illinois and Georgia … three-star recruit by Scout … considered one of the best long snappers in the class of 2016, ranking sixth by Kohl’s Kicking … invited to the 2014 Rubio Long Snapping Camp and was ranked 7th Nationally by Rubio … three-year starter … in his final two seasons, was perfect on all of his snaps (372/372)

Also caught 25 passes for 290 yards and four TDs

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Just get an UDFA.

I'll miss my boy Jake tho.

Well, that's usually the formula and not sure if they will look for another having two in camp already. Holba was actually drafted by the Steelers in 2017, however, lost out there and has had other opportunities never sticking with the Jaguars, 49ers & Giants so that is why I'm betting on Steven Wirtel.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
so you don’t like the 2 LS on The Rams roster ?

As to Colin Holba, it's that he's had opportunities, but has never stuck, so that gives me trepidations. As to Wirtel, he's never been given the opportunity, but excellent athlete that did well at Iowa State, needs to be a tad more consistent with spiral snaps on punts, but his FG placements are excellent and might be ready.

I look at this way, new Rams Special Team Coach Joe DeCamillis has already cut Colin Holba once in Jacksonville, there had to be a reason, so that's why, if the Rams don't add anyone else, IMO, Wirtel wins the job.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The more I read on Wirtel... he feels like “the guy”;

Chose Iowa State over Illinois and Georgia … three-star recruit by Scout … considered one of the best long snappers in the class of 2016, ranking sixth by Kohl’s Kicking … invited to the 2014 Rubio Long Snapping Camp and was ranked 7th Nationally by Rubio … three-year starter … in his final two seasons, was perfect on all of his snaps (372/372)

Also caught 25 passes for 290 yards and four TDs

Wirtel reminds me of Jeff Robinson, although not as big as Jeff, but being able to catch the football and being a good athlete.

1617553177576.png

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wirtel reminds me of Jeff Robinson, although not as big as Jeff, but being able to catch the football and being a good athlete.

View attachment 44763

LS snappers are interesting in a couple of senses to me.

Size Wirtel is smaller than Holba.Just in general though any lineman that is only 6,2 225 seems so small.Even 6”4 255 is not all that big.

How it is such a specialty as well.With Jake he looked like a LBer & was always in drills. Working on his form on tackling. He was solid.

The point of speed is good on Punts,but on FG’s you have some bug guys in front of you.

The thing that helps a smaller LS is the rules to protect them. Back in the day you could load up on a guy a lot more.No you can’t even jump over them.