Several Rams defensive players are due for an extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...ms-defensive-players-are-due-for-an-extension

Several Rams defensive players are due for an extension
Alden Gonzalez/ESPN Staff Writer

The Rams have almost an entire starting defense eligible for free agency in less than a year.

The list is daunting. It includes their primary cornerback (Trumaine Johnson), their potential No. 2 cornerback (E.J. Gaines), last year's leading tackler (inside linebacker Alec Ogletree), the starting strong safety (Maurice Alexander), the starting strongside linebacker (Connor Barwin), the starting free safety and slot corner (Lamarcus Joyner), a key backup safety (Cody Davis), and three defensive linemen critical to their depth at the position (Dominique Easley, Ethan Westbrooks and Tyrunn Walker).

The Rams have roughly $112 million in salary-cap space committed for 2018 and roughly $79 million committed for 2019, which is reasonable. But the team must give significant raises to several of its key defensive players, because (a) they're good and (b) there's not much depth beyond them.

Over the last two offseasons, the Rams have lost two starting safeties, Rodney McLeod and T.J. McDonald, and their best cornerback, Janoris Jenkins. They also haven't drafted a defensive player higher than the sixth round over the last two years, though that may change later this month.

Aaron Donald's situation looms over everybody else's simply because the Rams must allocate a significant amount of cap space for him several years down the road. But timing makes the other cases a bit more urgent.

Below is a list of five key looming free agents who could warrant an extension before the start of the coming season.

i

The Rams reckon linebacker Alec Ogletree's combination of athleticism and strength are ideal under new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. Harry How/Getty Images

Ogletree: He seems like the most obvious, and likely, extension candidate. Ogletree was a captain while transitioning to middle linebacker under Jeff Fisher last year, and is still considered a leader on the defense. There are several players the Rams want to take a longer look at to see if they'll be a fit under a new defensive system.

With Ogletree, there isn't much doubt. They think his combination of athleticism and strength are ideal under Phillips, who gets creative with his linebackers. Asked about getting some long-term security on Monday, Ogletree said: "It’ll happen when it happens. Right now, my focus is being here for OTAs and going through the install. I’ll be here; not really worried about the contract thing."

Johnson: The Rams had been shopping Johnson, but his price (nearly $17 million on a second consecutive franchise tag) and the presence of Richard Sherman on the trading block greatly limited his market. The Rams failed to lock Johnson up last offseason, and general manager Les Snead said they waited on extension talks this offseason in order to first see if he would be a fit under new defensive coordinator Wade Phillips.

The two sides still have until July 15 and could restart negotiations at the end of the offseason program. Along with the obvious motivation of solidifying the position long-term, the Rams would also like to lower Johnson's 2017 cap hit. It would provide more wiggle room for the Rams to give their other looming free agents more money in 2017, which some may require as part of a contract extension.

Alexander: Pro Football Focus identified Alexander as the NFL's most improved safety last year, his grade jumping from 44.6 to 83.4 in his first full year as a starter. Alexander played free safety in 2016 but will replace McDonald as the starting strong safety in 2017.

At 6-foot-1 and 220 pounds, he's a nice fit at that spot. And the Rams would like to see that take place beyond just this coming season. Their depth has eroded very quickly at safety.

Joyner: In 2015, Joyner emerged as a dynamite slot corner. In 2016, he was named a starter. In 2017, the plan is to keep him on the field for every defensive snap. Joyner will split time in the slot and at free safety, which he also played at Florida State.

The Rams may want to wait and see how he takes to the position before seriously considering an extension, but they love his instincts and tenacity. His 5-foot-8, 184-pound frame is not much of an issue.

Gaines: Gaines wasn't selected until the sixth round in 2014, but he impressed as a rookie, stepping in for an injured Johnson and starting 15 games. But he missed all of 2015 with a foot injury and was limited to 10 starts in 2016.

Since then, the Rams have signed Kayvon Webster, who spent the last two years playing under Phillips with the Broncos and will compete for a starting job. Gaines may need to prove he can stay healthy before being signed long-term.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Its unrealistic to believe you can sign all your FA's. At least 2 will sign somewhere else. Not until this season plays out will we know who stays and who they let walk.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
ILB'er Ogletree & SS Alexander are No Brainers IMO.

"Their depth has eroded very quickly at safety".o_O

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
i

That's such a cool picture. I really wishing they didn't switch to blue and white now.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Pretty sure those players are in the mix for an extension, Ogletree will be in the priority list once we ink Donald for sure. I'd say Johnson, Joyner, and Gaines are question marks and will be determined based on performance. Just gotta tread carefully and not turn this into a Jenkins situation.

A55VA6

Legend
I'd say Rams sign Ogletree to an extension pretty soon (Donald will get his eventually) and I think as for Johnson, Alexander, Joyner, and Gaines - it's all about how well they perform this year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Chances are most if not all of those guys have career seasons under Wade Phillips too. So yeah, we're going to end up losing some of them.

Key is locking up the vets that are hard to find or replace. Finding a 3T who produces DE numbers while killing it inside is one of the rarest commodities in the game. No brainer on Donald. Ogletree has some rare skills for a LB, and just needs to have a huge season for them to decide to lock him up.

Alexander maybe, depends really on how much he can take on in the defense. If he is just a SS thumper/primary run support type you can get those pretty easy in most drafts. Remains to be seen. If he shows an ability to snuff out receiving options too while bringin the wood along with sideline to sideline range, then sure that conversation needs to happen where you try to keep him. Joyner probably has a better chance to be a guy they feel is critical, but again it's early and these guys are going to decide all that through their play.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Its unrealistic to believe you can sign all your FA's. At least 2 will sign somewhere else. Not until this season plays out will we know who stays and who they let walk.

The question is , will The Rams draft a Safety ?? This is a great draft class for the position 1-5 .

Tru is a big question , & Ogletree needs to be signed long term.

Interesting now. The offensive line will need to be resigned as well the following year. They draft position for depth.

TE & WR's last season ?? Difference is 4-6 rounds .

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The Rams have almost an entire starting defense eligible for free agency in less than a year.
Which is why I expect a defensive heavy draft.....no brainer....too many dudes were out there going thru the motions as we got blown out 46-6 or whatever the hell it was to Arizona...I really only care that we re-sign Aaron Donald. Ogletree better be a hometown discount.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I'd say Rams sign Ogletree to an extension pretty soon (Donald will get his eventually) and I think as for Johnson, Alexander, Joyner, and Gaines - it's all about how well they perform this year.

IMHO, the automatics are Aaron Donald, Ogletree and Joyner. I'd add Connor Barwin to my wish list. Trumaine Johnson doesn't want to sign long term or at least not at a reasonable number. Alexander should be easy and affordable to extend if they choose. Gaines, Davis, Easley, Westbrooks and Walker have to shine in order to get one. Let's hope Webster and Robey are better than expected and we draft a corner or three in the next two drafts.