Sean McVay discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fondue Slurper
16669-a55adcfb3e833acd09a73cdca8e4c722.gif

Rams77

Starter
McVay is heading down a dangerous path.. His offense is predictable and he’s allowing Snead to mortgage the future for today-sooner or later shit will catch up and the honeymoon will end. It reminds me of the stock market right now

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So McVay was responsible for the 9-7 and 10-6 season this yr...

Which are above average in both cases. Top 12-13 both years. Any individual who has been a top 12-13 performer for four consecutive years should be celebrated.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I find interesting is that of the two sides you have Goff backers who are willing to question anyone else they need to in the organization in order to explain Goff's play the past two seasons. In which he has been a bottom third QB. They call out the OL. They call out the WRs. They call out the play calls. They call out McVay. The take seems to be that ok yes he played poorly but he deserves more time.

Versus the supposed McVay backers who trust in McVay and/or see that it was time to make a move or at the least understand it. His performance has been three of four years in the playoffs with a 3-3 record in said playoffs and a Super Bowl appearance. Also he took this team to the playoffs the first year he was in charge after a long run of failure and mediocrity.

I tried telling people that there was a difference in Goff this year. Tried putting up stills but some folks reacted like I had some sort of agenda. I'm not a coach or a scout or a GM or anything like that. But I can see where his head is looking. I can see him read right past guys who are open to get to the WR he wants to throw to. I can see him not even look at certain parts of the field. Or just stick on one guy while defenders read and pick him. I can see his pre-snap reads completely overlooking unblocked rushers who end up forcing him to fumble. It's like the guy went back in time and the rookie version of Goff came back. Throughout the season I read some folks suggesting it was his super hot girlfriend which would make a lot of sense here but either way I don't know the why. I just know he has not been the same guy.

And I hate this argument too btw. Hate it. Tired of it. But when I see the board turning to this view of him as an egomaniac or some crazy asshole that has unrealistic expectations with his QB position, or comments alluding to wearing blinders if you support the guy, well, I gotta call bullshit. Sorry. :cheers2:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
McVay is heading down a dangerous path.. His offense is predictable and he’s allowing Snead to mortgage the future for today-sooner or later shit will catch up and the honeymoon will end. It reminds me of the stock market right now

Where is The BLUE FONT - lmao

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

How the mighty have fallen.

I knew this after his failure with the Rams, unless he was going to take a role similar to this at the NFL level, but this works out great for Jeff, even though, I don't believe he brings anything to the table presently.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I think he already is the best Rams coach ever.

The only one who has achieved more than him was Vermeil, but he also only had one good season as a Rams coach.

He's the only Rams coach to win the AP coach of the year award. He's one away from tying the most playoff wins by a Rams head coach too.

Well that depends on the POV. Vermeil won a Superbowl in his one and only postseason with the Rams. Martz did as much as McVay has done, if not more. 6 years, 4 postseasons, 1 Superbowl loss. I was surprised to see Mad Mikes name missing on some lists in this thread. Two consecutive years AFTER the SB, Mad Mike had the Rams as the #1 offense in yards and #1 offense in points. McVay's 2017 Rams were the #1 offense in points and nary another #1 ranking in 4 years. Don't get me wrong, I think McVay is going to be the best Rams coach ever but right now? Not yet. The addition of Stafford will help, for sure.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
George Allen, Chuck Knox and John Robinson all deserve mention for best Rams’ Head Coaches.

Consider where the Rams were before each of those three men were hired; and what they accomplished in their first season ... all comparable to what McVay did in Year 1.

Not meant as a criticism of McVay’s accomplishments.

Meant ... little bit ... as a criticism of those who ignore, or fail to know and respect the past.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Let him make the trade he championed for work out and let him win a couple of Super Bowls. Then we'll put him in the "best ever" conversation.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fish is a good leader of men. He's just weak on the X's and O's. I think he's a nice fit for college because of that. Either way I'm happy to see him get a gig doing what he loves and hope he takes advantage.

Tano

Legend
Fish is a good leader of men. He's just weak on the X's and O's. I think he's a nice fit for college because of that. Either way I'm happy to see him get a gig doing what he loves and hope he takes advantage.
Personally I just think Fisher was too stubborn on his offensive philosophy.

He should have hired an OC who just did his own thing with some input from Fisher.

But Fisher should have stayed with his strength - defense.

I think he would still be a great DC. But he is too stubborn to let go of head coaching.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fish never really demonstrated that he was a top defensive mind though. I think he was promoted too quickly. His natural leadership worked against him there IMO.

We'd see that effect in the military all the time tbh. Guys making rank so fast that they end up as middle managers with a poor grasp of technical prowess in their base rating. Sometimes the smart ones sort of screwed themselves in that way.

I think if he had done more time as a DC he would have been a far better head coach.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
His offense was definitely outdated but his defense I think always played up to and better than expectations especially with how anemic the offense was
The other thing with Fisher is he could not attract a good young independent OC, especially after yr 3 after Schotty left. Everyone knew he was a dead man walking.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The other thing with Fisher is he could not attract a good young independent OC, especially after yr 3 after Schotty left. Everyone knew he was a dead man walking.
I agree Fisher held himself back by not finding the right offensive mind. He’s drafts trying to fix the line was decent got some actual players but the trades for WRs and tightened was dismal too but for the most part I feel like Fisher should be high on the list

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, Fisher did bring us Aaron Donald, so he's got that going for him....
Fisher did a decent job fixing the mess that was left from the Linehan/Spags "dynasty". But yeah, the team would have been a winner if he would have trusted the offense to a modern aged mind. Seemed to me that he really thought he knew how to run an offense. However, he was dead wrong on the offense side of things and allowed the team to consistently play undisciplined football. Too many stupid penalties on both sides of the ball. He definitely gets a bad rap, I know I am guilty of it.
His "horrible coach" classification is in the category of "what could have been", as opposed to other losers that were in the "couldnt win a game if the other team didnt show up"
Kind of a cool story there too with Eddie George the head coach

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well that depends on the POV. Vermeil won a Superbowl in his one and only postseason with the Rams. Martz did as much as McVay has done, if not more. 6 years, 4 postseasons, 1 Superbowl loss. I was surprised to see Mad Mikes name missing on some lists in this thread. Two consecutive years AFTER the SB, Mad Mike had the Rams as the #1 offense in yards and #1 offense in points. McVay's 2017 Rams were the #1 offense in points and nary another #1 ranking in 4 years. Don't get me wrong, I think McVay is going to be the best Rams coach ever but right now? Not yet. The addition of Stafford will help, for sure.

I can see the DV argument, however for me personally, he had two bad seasons and then the best season in Rams history. If McVay had one losing season in four, I'd put DV above him.

For Martz - their first four years are identical - after that Martz never had another winning season, only had three total.

But look at what Martz inherited versus what McVay inherited.

And let's ask ourselves this:

What if Vermeil stayed and Martz got hired away to be a HC somewhere else?